Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I wish they’d gone DBM for the finish on those. I just can’t trust PVD long term.
I'm with you there. I dont mind natural wear on my irons but I just hate having one bunker shot or hosel rockey leave a nasty mark where there shouldn't be one forever.

I wish they’d gone DBM for the finish on those. I just can’t trust PVD long term.

I feel the same way. They say they have improved the finish but until I see it proven over time I couldn't pull the trigger. I love some bag chatter on my clubs but can't stand the finish wearing off.

I'm with you there. I dont mind natural wear on my irons but I just hate having one bunker shot or hosel rockey leave a nasty mark where there shouldn't be one forever.

fwiw dbm is subject to that as well. i holds up much better, but it's not infallible.

smoke look amazing, but i'm 1,000% happy with the satin finish of the standard forged.

fwiw dbm is subject to that as well. i holds up much better, but it's not infallible.

smoke look amazing, but i'm 1,000% happy with the satin finish of the standard forged.
I love chrome irons so the finish on these is perfect for me as is. Gotta let em shine!

DBM and PVD aren’t in the same league though.

If I could get them raw, I'd plunk down the money this second.

If I could get them raw, I'd plunk down the money this second.

giphy.gif

DBM and PVD aren’t in the same league though.

oh i totally agree. but i hit a few stinkers with my last gamers that had a disturbing way of reflecting the sunshine and reminding me of my ineptitude.

Ok I'm in love, plain and simple.

I want to preface this with the fact that I'm a crap golfer and what I'm about share is my own personal feedback. I also had back surgery a little over a year ago and it's changed my swing quite a bit. That said, I didn't want to get wrapped all around the numbers on a launch monitor and wanted to focus on feel for my first range session.

First off I have to say, even mishits felt good. I start with the miss because I've added .5 inch and 2* toe up because of my swing changes (reason above) and it's going to take me time to settle into a more natural motion vs a force posture and compensated swing plane. Not that I'm a great ball striker or anything, but shots off the toe, near the hosel, low or high on the face didn't matter. I could tell where my miss was without an exaggerated response in my hands. Comparing to my i25's, if I blade a shot with them, boy it lets you know. With the Apex it's a firm feedback vs sharp when you miss, if that makes sense. Also moving from the stock stiff CFS shafts on the Pings to the stiff TT XP95 on the Apex has made a world of difference in my swing tempo and ball flight. Getting a high launch is no longer a problem for me. I tried to avoid even touching my i25's, but I did hit the 9i and 7i in comparison and I was about 10-12 yards longer with the Apex. Yes they are a little stronger, hotter face, etc... but it fed the ego and confidence so I'll just go with that. Also the way the ball landed was quite different as well, I won't get into specifics because they were range balls on a windy day blah blah blah (plus I'm not an expert), but with the Apex it looks like a much softer landing. I felt as though I could get a bit more aggressive with my target line than with the i25's because of the way the ball rolled out.

From a pure swing perspective, the Apex are an absolute joy to hit. When you do flush it, it's absolutely explosive off the face. From the sounds to the ball flight it lets you know you've done it right. It becomes addictive to recreate. Comparing to my i25's, they have a similar response, but in a much more muted sense. I knew that it was a good strike, but it didn't get me all boyish like excited like the Apex do. It made me feel like I actually know what the hell I'm doing when hitting the ball, again feeding my confidence level that has been lacking quite a bit as of late.

By the end of my short session working through the irons, I started to settle into the changes in specs. I wouldn't call it a great "range day", but then again I didn't go into it expecting that I would flush every shot and think I could go enter a tourney. I would call it a huge confidence boost and a move in the right direction for my game. I could visualize certain holes on my home course where I would lay up in the past, but now want to attack. The forgiveness that I experienced on the range will be interesting to see when translated to the course and I hope to do that this weekend. This may all sound like a honeymoon period because I have new shiny sticks, but I don't see my love for them wearing off anytime soon!

I may or may not have a tracking number for a certain set of irons that should reach my work tomorrow. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I'm in love, plain and simple.

I want to preface this with the fact that I'm a crap golfer and what I'm about share is my own personal feedback. I also had back surgery a little over a year ago and it's changed my swing quite a bit. That said, I didn't want to get wrapped all around the numbers on a launch monitor and wanted to focus on feel for my first range session.

First off I have to say, even mishits felt good. I start with the miss because I've added .5 inch and 2* toe up because of my swing changes (reason above) and it's going to take me time to settle into a more natural motion vs a force posture and compensated swing plane. Not that I'm a great ball striker or anything, but shots off the toe, near the hosel, low or high on the face didn't matter. I could tell where my miss was without an exaggerated response in my hands. Comparing to my i25's, if I blade a shot with them, boy it lets you know. With the Apex it's a firm feedback vs sharp when you miss, if that makes sense. Also moving from the stock stiff CFS shafts on the Pings to the stiff TT XP95 on the Apex has made a world of difference in my swing tempo and ball flight. Getting a high launch is no longer a problem for me. I tried to avoid even touching my i25's, but I did hit the 9i and 7i in comparison and I was about 10-12 yards longer with the Apex. Yes they are a little stronger, hotter face, etc... but it fed the ego and confidence so I'll just go with that. Also the way the ball landed was quite different as well, I won't get into specifics because they were range balls on a windy day blah blah blah (plus I'm not an expert), but with the Apex it looks like a much softer landing. I felt as though I could get a bit more aggressive with my target line than with the i25's because of the way the ball rolled out.

From a pure swing perspective, the Apex are an absolute joy to hit. When you do flush it, it's absolutely explosive off the face. From the sounds to the ball flight it lets you know you've done it right. It becomes addictive to recreate. Comparing to my i25's, they have a similar response, but in a much more muted sense. I knew that it was a good strike, but it didn't get me all boyish like excited like the Apex do. It made me feel like I actually know what the hell I'm doing when hitting the ball, again feeding my confidence level that has been lacking quite a bit as of late.

By the end of my short session working through the irons, I started to settle into the changes in specs. I wouldn't call it a great "range day", but then again I didn't go into it expecting that I would flush every shot and think I could go enter a tourney. I would call it a huge confidence boost and a move in the right direction for my game. I could visualize certain holes on my home course where I would lay up in the past, but now want to attack. The forgiveness that I experienced on the range will be interesting to see when translated to the course and I hope to do that this weekend. This may all sound like a honeymoon period because I have new shiny sticks, but I don't see my love for them wearing off anytime soon!

Great feedback, glad you are enjoying them. I feel the same way - these things are CRAZY good.

Before I went 2UP i would play a fade. That difference did a lot for ball flight and my biggest enemy was myself and my alignment. Any time i would swing through it would be a huge pull, missing by 30 yards at times. But once I learned to trust it and start swinging down the first base line, it clicked
First base line, huh? I guess I need to try that with my 2up's as I don't usually aim that far right (at least I don't think I do haha).

I may or may not have a tracking number for a certain set of irons that should reach my work tomorrow. Can’t wait.
Tim!!! Tell us more, my friend. Which heads and shafts did you order?

First base line, huh? I guess I need to try that with my 2up's as I don't usually aim that far right (at least I don't think I do haha).

Tim!!! Tell us more, my friend. Which heads and shafts did you order?

First base line is just for swing path. I usually always aim for the right side of the green

Planning on ordering on Friday... Now I'm stuck in shaft ponder mode.

I've had the most success (historically) with Dynamic Gold (and have been told that's a good fit).

I went with Project X LZ in my last fitting to try something new. He also mentioned the Modus 3 120's being a likely good fit, but I've never hit them.

I'll have a look at my local shop tonight, but deciding between the Nippons and DGs is going to be tough if I can't get swings in.

Either way, I can't wait to have these clubs in hand.

hahaha man i miss you. You are purchasing machine lately.

I've had the most success (historically) with Dynamic Gold (and have been told that's a good fit).

I went with Project X LZ in my last fitting to try something new. He also mentioned the Modus 3 120's being a likely good fit, but I've never hit them.

I'll have a look at my local shop tonight, but deciding between the Nippons and DGs is going to be tough if I can't get swings in.

did you like the lz?

Given the LZ are lighter than the DGs but you like the profile, maybe DG 120?

did you like the lz?

They're not in consideration this time around, if that tells you anything ;)

In all honesty, they're not bad. They seem to be a bit more sensitive to my swing tempo than DGs are (ie: if I try to step on one things get away from me). My GIR% went way down last year, and I need something to blame.

Really I should probably just go back to Dynamic Gold and quit over thinking it. And, if I can't find a set of modus to hit by Friday that's probably what I'll do.

They're not in consideration this time around, if that tells you anything ;)

In all honesty, they're not bad. They seem to be a bit more sensitive to my swing tempo than DGs are (ie: if I try to step on one things get away from me). My GIR% went way down last year, and I need something to blame.

Really I should probably just go back to Dynamic Gold and quit over thinking it. And, if I can't find a set of modus to hit by Friday that's probably what I'll do.

I was going to say the weight and balance probably didn't work just right. If you prefer the heavy weight then nothing is going to beat the OG DG shafts.

Given the LZ are lighter than the DGs but you like the profile, maybe DG 120?

I'm playing the 6.5s at 125g. The DGs are 130, and I don't think I'm sensitive enough to notice 5 grams (especially after I throw midsize MCC+4s on them).

I was going to say the weight and balance probably didn't work just right. If you prefer the heavy weight then nothing is going to beat the OG DG shafts.

Yeah, at this point I should probably just embrace being a creature of habit. The new heads are enough shiny :D

I'm playing the 6.5s at 125g. The DGs are 130, and I don't think I'm sensitive enough to notice 5 grams (especially after I throw midsize MCC+4s on them).

Yeah, at this point I should probably just embrace being a creature of habit. The new heads are enough shiny :D

Go Ctaper S+ or S taper and be done with it

When I got fit into CF16's a couple of years ago, shaft choice came down to PX LZ 6.0 and DG S300. The DG's were a little straighter, but the LZ's were 7-10 yards longer. Considering my biggest swing flaw is getting too aggressive (sometimes, dare I say, violent), I opted for the LZ's. I figured that knowing I was giving up 7-10 yards right out of the gate would make me swing even harder, leading to more problems. In theory, the LZ's help me slow down a little since I 'know' they're long enough.

I was all set to drive over to my local Roger Dunn and order new Apex's today with the LZ's. Then I clicked on this thread one more time, and find myself wondering, "should I at least try the DG's again before I order?" Stupid, overly analytical brain.

Go Ctaper S+ or S taper and be done with it

I’ve only had a driving iron with a c taper in it, but that was enough to know I don’t want to go there again.

Back