Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

When there's Smoke, there's

a148a8fe012f99f541ce674a858192c9.jpg

this is nsfw (not safe for wallet)

Wow, those are extremely low spin numbers for a 7i aren't they?! Did they try and do anything to get your spin numbers up in your fitting?

It would depend on descent angle as to if that’s too low, but it seems a bit low...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming from the PTx (which I am also currently gaming) - which model fit that shape/offset profile more? What I've been thinking a lot about recently is trying to get something with maybe just a little more help in the 4-5-6 iron range and really staying with something similar to the PTx 7-GW.

Also, for anyone who has been lucky enough to get some early info on these: how are the lofts? Are the blend-able for a combo set?

I also came from playing the PTX almost all of last season and for me the Apex Pro was the closer profile. The regular Apex honestly isn't a ton bigger and I could have easily gone that route. Callaway is going to be offering a stock combo set that might be perfect for what you are looking for and that would take care of any loft issues for blending.

I believe the PW in the '19 Apex is 43° and is 44° in the Apex Pro if memory serves me correctly. So in the '19 Apex that is 2° stronger that the CF16. With the new weighting scheme and higher launch they had to decrease loft slightly.

you are correct on apex being 43* but apex pro is 45*

stfu and take my money. only question is whether to go full apex, full pro or combo.

curtis' low spin with the regular 7i is a little concerning, being a lower spin player myself. only way to know is to test myself! but i want to test a full set, not just a 6i.

can anybody do some comparison pics with rogue pro? i hit that recently, and would love to see some side-by-side pics. bonus points for comparing feel (hoping for something a little softer).

Wasn’t part of the GD, but I play the Rogue Pros now (they are for sale) I just hit both of these at GG with Elevate stock shaft. Feel is definitely softer. I need to tinker with a few shafts but these will be preordered next week for sure. I’m going Regular Apex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that catalyst shafts are being offered in each apex and apex pro has me so :joy::joy:right now. Such a great shaft that will help alot of golfers and compliment the tech in these irons perfectly (in my bias but humble opinion)

DNevs confirmed there is actually more forgiveness in this setup in terms of the distance you'll see on mishits. I can verify that with the toe shots of I've hit.

Wow. I think the CF16s are super forgiving already, even more seems crazy.

I have played the CF16s for the last two years. The '19 Apex feels softer, more of that forged feel, yet the ball just jumps off the face. Launch is a little higher and I seem to be getting more "stop" on iron shots into the green. Is it more spin or a steeper descent angle? Combination of the two? I don't know whether it is the set of irons themselves or the fact that they were built in the pro build department at Callaway, but the consistency of feel throughout the set is what struck home most for me. I am getting better than summer-like distances, gains of anywhere from 1/2 to almost a full club in 40-50° temperatures. Out at The Hideaway, just getting used to them, I pretty much picked clubs based on my usual distance that I would see with the CF16s and was getting slightly better distances than that. Being in a competition like that as opposed to no consequences playing a typical casual round I am probably taking a more aggressive swing back home compared to then and there.

Good to hear. I already get high launch with my CF 16s and can stop all of them no problem on the green. But I did think that “soft” feel was the one thing I missed going from original Apex to the CF16s. Glad to hear it’s back now in the 19s.

Good to know, did you notice any huge forgiveness differences between the 2 during your fitting/on course play?

Same as above, thought on forgiveness? And how do the pros look at address to say the x forged (Im a visual guy).

The Regular seemed to be slightly more forgiving but I was quite impressed with what I was seeing from the Pro. On mishits with the Pro I was probably seeing a clubs worth of loss in distance which to me is very acceptable.

I played the X Forged briefly last season and the Apex Pro is probably just a smidge bigger from what I can remember but not much. The X Forged were gorgeous but for my tastes the Pro's give a bit more confidence with their size. They aren't too big and not too small.

I also came from playing the PTX almost all of last season and for me the Apex Pro was the closer profile. The regular Apex honestly isn't a ton bigger and I could have easily gone that route. Callaway is going to be offering a stock combo set that might be perfect for what you are looking for and that would take care of any loft issues for blending.

I saw that on the website and instantly started drooling. Maybe a 5 hybrid, 6-GW blended set. There are a few other irons on my must hit list, but these are certainly right there now.

I saw that on the website and instantly started drooling. Maybe a 5 hybrid, 6-GW blended set. There are a few other irons on my must hit list, but these are certainly right there now.

I was actually fit in to a combo set but they unfortunately weren't available at that time. I'm more than happy with being set up in an all Pro lineup though!

Product Review – Irons – Apex ‘19

I started playing the Apex series of irons from Callaway Golf four years ago. First, I played the standard Apex for two years, followed by the Apex CF16’s for the last two years leading up to the #TheGrandaddy. I’ve been a big fan of the series with 3 Holes-In-One using them and multiple rounds where I have shot my age. I figured going into the fitting that if I could just maintain that same level of performance I would be more than pleased. That level was met and then some.

I am big on a simple, plain and clean look in a set of irons, no colorful, gaudy badging (is that a word?) on the back. I also prefer a “players” cavity back over SGI-type irons. “Pro” versions of irons don’t give me the forgiveness that I sometimes need when my game is “off”. The Apex series has always met that criteria and this set of ‘19s is no exception. The finish is a nice satin finish. The top line appears to be slightly smaller than the CF16s and the offset slightly less, but I don’t have the specs as I write this to confirm either of those things. Sole width appears to also be thinner and slightly less rounded at the back. Heel to toe length, again, very similar as well as height of the clubface. Overall I would say the Apex 19’s are a tad more compact.

During warm up for the fitting I also hit the Pro version but preferred the feel and performance of the standard Apex ‘19. So that is what we concentrated on during the fitting. I mentioned in my fitting recap that I was not getting the numbers that I would have expected during the fitting compared to what I experience at home with the CF16s. The overall distance with a 7i was at least ½ club longer but when hitting irons I look to carry distance when deciding which club to hit and that was a little shorter than I was expecting or hoping to see. I was told the distance will be there but the “loss” was due to being in the 1st group to be fit as it was very chilly and we were pretty much at sea level. Based on spin, ball speed and launch angles I was fit into the UST Mamiya Recoil 760 F2 shafts (F2 is basically a “senior flex”). Based on little stronger lofts in these, 48° AW, gapping at the bottom end was a serious discussion so I went with the 6-AW with three wedges which will be reviewed separately, as will the driver and fairway woods and the hybrid.

The clubs looked spectacular sitting in the bag when I got to my cart on day 1 of the competition. I made my club selections during the two days of golf based on my normal yardages and I was not disappointed. The feel all day was incredibly solid and extremely consistent throughout the set. I truthfully do not know if that is a characteristic of the set or because they were built by the pro department at ECPC. Turf interaction at The Hideaway was never an issue and distance control was spot on. Even strikes slightly off center saw minute losses of distance if any. I did not experience any fliers or unexpected results hitting them at any time. The lofts on these are a couple of degrees stronger than on the corresponding Apex CF16 club. However, due to the weighting this is necessary to keep the ball flight down. Otherwise one would lose distance if the lofts were kept more “traditional”.

Since returning home and using them I continue to be struck by just how solid they feel and sound, consistent from one club to the next. It truly is a “powerful” feeling in that the ball just seems to explode off the face, and they also feel “softer” than the Apex CF16s. In 50° type weather I am seeing full summer like yardages to maybe ½ club longer and the ball just wants to go straight (I’ve been using the regular Chrome Soft). Is that distance increase a function of the technology built into the clubhead or perhaps a more suited shaft? It is probably a combination if I had to guess. Distance control is spectacular and I feel like I am shooting darts when I put one of these irons in my hand.

The technology behind these is the same / similar to what had been explained in the Big Bertha irons with a “floating” tungsten weight, positioning of which is unique to each club.

As a previous CF16 owner who saw his handicap drop by 5 when I had those.......I LOVE reading the feedback posts like this. Good info

6f95c9e8545623cac93280327144ac1c.jpg

Did any of you guys who hit both the regular Apex and the Pro see any noticeable difference in distance between the two?

When I was in my fitting I saw a slight increase in the Regular vs. Pro, maybe a 1/2 - 1 club. I can't remember my numbers for sure and now I'm kicking myself for not taking pictures :banghead:

i may have missed it, but did anyone go with the stock elevate shaft? i don't think anyone did. was that because that shaft wasn't the best fit for every one of you guys, or was it not available for testing? personally, that shaft REALLY excites me as a stock option.
I don't think I actually spend any time hitting that one other than when I was warming up. My Fitters selected the tour issue Dynamic Gold 120 S400 as a starting point based on what I used in the past, and throughout the fitting our journey never took us to the Elevate Tour.

i may have missed it, but did anyone go with the stock elevate shaft? i don't think anyone did. was that because that shaft wasn't the best fit for every one of you guys, or was it not available for testing? personally, that shaft REALLY excites me as a stock option.

I've got the Elevate 95 in my irons.

stfu and take my money. only question is whether to go full apex, full pro or combo.

curtis' low spin with the regular 7i is a little concerning, being a lower spin player myself. only way to know is to test myself! but i want to test a full set, not just a 6i.

can anybody do some comparison pics with rogue pro? i hit that recently, and would love to see some side-by-side pics. bonus points for comparing feel (hoping for something a little softer).

I'm also a low spin player and was seeing the ball stop on the greens both in Cali and back here at home. The local simulator is showing me impressive spin numbers as well, however I can never be sure how accurate that machine really is. I'm hoping our local Austads will let me use one of the Foresight bays in the near future to do some testing.

In my fitting we just started with shafts I've previously gamed and had success with and made changes from there. I unfortunately didn't give that one a try.

The Regular seemed to be slightly more forgiving but I was quite impressed with what I was seeing from the Pro. On mishits with the Pro I was probably seeing a clubs worth of loss in distance which to me is very acceptable.

I played the X Forged briefly last season and the Apex Pro is probably just a smidge bigger from what I can remember but not much. The X Forged were gorgeous but for my tastes the Pro's give a bit more confidence with their size. They aren't too big and not too small.

I'm going to quote myself in regard to the X Forged after seeing ArmyGolf's comparison picture. Looking at the X Forged picture it certainly looks like the Pro is smaller but I felt similar to MikeDean with the X Forged, I thought it looked very small when I first picked it up. I haven't felt that way with the Pro, it seems to be just right.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but the combo set is a separate integrated set of clubs. The lofts are different so the gaps are right. Callaway is not merely mixing and matching from each set then bending irons.

I'm going to quote myself in regard to the X Forged after seeing ArmyGolf's comparison picture. Looking at the X Forged picture it certainly looks like the Pro is smaller but I felt similar to MikeDean with the X Forged, I thought it looked very small when I first picked it up. I haven't felt that way with the Pro, it seems to be just right.
When I get home from work later this evening I'll post some 7i comparison pics with my XForged and Apex MB.
They are all pretty lol.

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but the combo set is a separate integrated set of clubs. The lofts are different so the gaps are right. Callaway is not merely mixing and matching from each set then bending irons.

And they’ll be available immediately

I want to get out to the range this afternoon before I write up my longer review on these, but I can say that I've got the tendency to be pretty low spin with irons, and I wasn't seeing what Curtis saw. I think I was about 6500 with the regular, 7000 with the pros. To me I actually felt like I was getting more consistent spin with these than I did with the CF16, and I know that's one of the things they focused on especially in the shorter irons.

Can I gush for a hot minute? A few of you may share my feelings and I think others will soon feel the same way.

I can’t start without going back to 2016 and the release of the 2016 Apex CF and Pro lines. I owned both and both served me well. The CF line was great from a feel standpoint and looks standpoint. My Hangul was the gapping between the 8i and 7i. It was too large for me and had me swinging harder with my 8i to try to make up the distance gap.

Fast forward to the 2019 launch and they have fix that gapping issue. They kept the distance, improved on forgiveness, improved the look and manage to get them to launch higher.

The PROs are so sweet, a combo between the 2016 apex cf and 2014 xforged, at least to me. Slim top line and the forgiveness you expect from a players iron. Distance is true, meaning if you hit you 8i 150 then this goes 150. Sure you can hit farther if need be but why? Very soft feel at impact. Paired with the right shaft will do damage in the right hands.

More to come!

Shut up and take my money… Even if it should be spent on lessons instead LOL

Back