Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

It’s funny but I don’t see the ‘19 apex/apex pros as an improvement from ‘16 version. To me it’s a whole new club. From the shape, to the feel, to the tech inside providing the forgiveness and playability, these are nothing like the previous model carrying the same name. No one yet has said the offset on the standard apex was too much and turned them off. No one has said the pros were too small and unplayable unless you were a low handicap. Everyone has posted mostly positive thoughts of each with some saying they like the pros and would game them but just Incase, they’d prefer the standard apex for the extra forgiveness. That wasn’t said about previous versions and goes to show just exactly how special this year’s line up is.
Great observations. It will be interesting to see if these statements remain true for many months to come.

i really didn't like the 16 pros. and honestly i don't love the 19 pros either. something about it just doesn't fit my eye at address, or is weighted in a way that i struggle. but the standard forged in the 16 was great for me, and the 19s as well. between the two, i think just about anybody can play one of these offerings.
I agree with your last statement because the level of forgiveness is quite special in this line.

Apex Pro '19 7 Iron on GC-2:

Ball Speed - 126.1 mph
Launch - 17.8*
Backspin - 4275 rpm
Descent Angle - 47*
Peak Height - 107 ft
Carry - 190 Yards

I can't decide is this is more "BOOM!" or more "Oh Crap!"

After getting these numbers last week I wanted to double check if the really low spin number was a product of the Apex Pros, or just an awful swing flaw like I suspected.
I hit the Xforged and my old V6 7i to compare and sure enough the spin was waaay down on those too. Xforged was spinning at 4800 and V6 at 5000. Equally interesting was the ball speed with the other two dropped straight back down to 120ish.

I'd love to hear if the rest of you guys with Apex Pros are seeing the same ludicrous jump in ball speed?

How is the origin scan for your irons in Illinois?

If you saw my original post (here), I was fitted at Club Champion and they are custom building my set at their HQ in Illinois. The shafts I was fitted for and chose are not available through Callaway or most manufacturers so they are bespoking a set for me.

If you dont try them the squirrels will be running around in your head wondering what if on every bad swing you make.
When I got fit into CF16's a couple of years ago, shaft choice came down to PX LZ 6.0 and DG S300. The DG's were a little straighter, but the LZ's were 7-10 yards longer. Considering my biggest swing flaw is getting too aggressive (sometimes, dare I say, violent), I opted for the LZ's. I figured that knowing I was giving up 7-10 yards right out of the gate would make me swing even harder, leading to more problems. In theory, the LZ's help me slow down a little since I 'know' they're long enough.

I was all set to drive over to my local Roger Dunn and order new Apex's today with the LZ's. Then I clicked on this thread one more time, and find myself wondering, "should I at least try the DG's again before I order?" Stupid, overly analytical brain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I think the CF16 May have been the best iron I could have ever had in play, especially without being able to play a lot and prefect my swing. They were so forgiving right where I needed them. But I’ve always loved the profile and look of more of a players iron and the new Pros fit that bill perfectly

Time to upgrade. The memories will still be there.

Went for a fitting yesterday and tried the new Apex line... Just didn’t work for me. Beautiful clubs, for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went for a fitting yesterday and tried the new Apex line... Just didn’t work for me. Beautiful clubs, for sure!

at least you tried it and know. curious about any feedback you can give on what didn't work, and what options you tried.

I really loved the way the original Apex line looked but performance in that and the '16 line wasn't substantially different from my gamers. The current version is at another level, IMO.

I definitely agree with that assessment. Not much difference between the original Apex and the CF16s that I saw, but the lower CG on the '19 version and the faster ball speeds are very noticeable to me in the way of performance. Easy to hit, the ball flies high and even in these cold temps we've been experiencing the distance is summer-like and then some.

Starting to get more comfortable with the irons. Yesterday I stuck 2 Par 3s and two that I missed were in great spots. 7iron-7iron-8iron-6iron. Stuck the 8 and 6. Missed both birdies, ah!

Started my round 3/3 GIR with AW-9i-PW. So the scoring clubs obviously felt good. When it came to the mid and long irons a little bit of a toe miss but I think that's more to do with trying to swing a LITTLE harder.

My biggest regret yesterday was being 170 to the green in the middle of the fairway on a dog leg left. I grabbed 6iron and it was one of my few dead center flushes shots of the day off the deck and I was simply aimed to the right expecting a draw. No draw. Landed right of the bunker but I was pin high. Just poor aim but damn it felt good to smash that.

Good learning and extremely happy the last 2 days. No golf until Saturday!

at least you tried it and know. curious about any feedback you can give on what didn't work, and what options you tried.

I tried both with DG 120 X and Modus 120 X, both at +1/2”. I had misses to the left that I wasn’t getting with other clubs, the spin was about 800-900 rpms less with Apex, which didn’t help with the misses, and overall feel just wasn’t there. Again, great looking, and having the original Apex I thought for sure these would be in the mix. I didn’t stick with the Apex Pros long because I was looking to mainly reduce dispersion from my i210s, and I was in three different spots after the first three shots.

I tried both with DG 120 X and Modus 120 X, both at +1/2”. I had misses to the left that I wasn’t getting with other clubs, the spin was about 800-900 rpms less with Apex, which didn’t help with the misses, and overall feel just wasn’t there. Again, great looking, and having the original Apex I thought for sure these would be in the mix. I didn’t stick with the Apex Pros long because I was looking to mainly reduce dispersion from my i210s, and I was in three different spots after the first three shots.

this is really good feedback. thanks!

I guessing less offset than the i210 could play a part in that. As an objective demo, we’re the shots pure strikes or off center swipes and would you say they felt solid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I guessing less offset than the i210 could play a part in that. As an objective demo, we’re the shots pure strikes or off center swipes and would you say they felt solid?

Definitely solid. The smash was good, but I wasn’t “testing” vs i210, I was going against MP 18 MMC, MP 18 SC, JPX Forged, JPX Hot Metal Pro, AP3, TM 760... So, the MPs are less offset than Apex, but better strikes as well. I play the i210 now, but this fitting did not include that iron. Also, Apex Pro was included, so offset there is less than Apex... Again, great irons, but that’s why there are SO many in the market: some just work better than others, not all work as well. Not knocking them at all. Just didn’t work for me like the original Apex.

Starting to get more comfortable with the irons. Yesterday I stuck 2 Par 3s and two that I missed were in great spots. 7iron-7iron-8iron-6iron. Stuck the 8 and 6. Missed both birdies, ah!

Started my round 3/3 GIR with AW-9i-PW. So the scoring clubs obviously felt good. When it came to the mid and long irons a little bit of a toe miss but I think that's more to do with trying to swing a LITTLE harder.

My biggest regret yesterday was being 170 to the green in the middle of the fairway on a dog leg left. I grabbed 6iron and it was one of my few dead center flushes shots of the day off the deck and I was simply aimed to the right expecting a draw. No draw. Landed right of the bunker but I was pin high. Just poor aim but damn it felt good to smash that.

Good learning and extremely happy the last 2 days. No golf until Saturday!

How long did it take to get comfortable with the irons?

Edit: I'm only three full rounds in.

When I was fitted....I loved them. Now I still love them.....They go a club further than my Rogue Pros, feel is amazing and are the exact trajectory I want, but 1 out of every 3 shots is a huge draw (if I aim at right side of green I miss off left side). Especially with the longer irons which I've never had before.

When I was fitted....I loved them. Now I still love them.....They go a club further than my Rogue Pros, feel is amazing and are the exact trajectory I want, but 1 out of every 3 shots is a huge draw (if I aim at right side of green I miss off left side). Especially with the longer irons which I've never had before.

I’m three rounds in as well and still in love, but have new misses I’m contending with. I think for me it will be 5-7 rounds before I swing comfortably.

Time to upgrade. The memories will still be there.

Ya no doubt. I don’t even think it’s a nostalgia this so much anymore. It’s a crutch thing lol I haven’t been able to play a ton of golf and I’ve grown so comfortable but new and shiny is due

I hit these well from the moment I got them but I had misses right when I had my mizunos and then went to misses left with my Steelhead XRs and now if I miss it is usually slightly right but not as bad as my mizunos. Most people have a break in period with these clubs but the fact that I'm hitting these better than I have hit irons in a long time right out the gate, I can't wait for me to fully get used to these!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 times on the range and I think like 5 rounds.

I liked them from the get go. I have had one lesson sprinkled in there for the full swing and feel a lot better since the last 2 days were my first rounds of golf after my lesson, a solid 85 and 84.

Irons have been a strength. I'd say distance wise maybe a couple of yards shorter than the Epics I had but much more confidence and less vibration when I miss on the toe, I guess the stiffening really does help on mis hits haha.

Ya no doubt. I don’t even think it’s a nostalgia this so much anymore. It’s a crutch thing lol I haven’t been able to play a ton of golf and I’ve grown so comfortable but new and shiny is due

Let it ride.

Something finally showed up at work today.
3e5f326a885ea19854241f910682e30f.jpg

Nice T4T.

Making my waiting more difficult!

Can you specify Swing Weight when you order?? I went and tried both the Forged and Pro's Today.. First tried the stock shaft in the pro's (both steel and graphite).. I hit them okay.. but the swing weight was a little heavy.. I play D0-D1. Anyhow.. put both the Elevate 95 and Catalyst 80 shaft in the pro head.. and made such a difference.. The elevate's dispersion was far superior though. Assuming the swing weight was now about D0.5-D1. So.. if I order a Pro or Combo Set with the Elevate 95 shafts.. will they adjust weighting to get swing weight to D2.. or can a specify a different swing weight?

Thanks..

Can you specify Swing Weight when you order?? I went and tried both the Forged and Pro's Today.. First tried the stock shaft in the pro's (both steel and graphite).. I hit them okay.. but the swing weight was a little heavy.. I play D0-D1. Anyhow.. put both the Elevate 95 and Catalyst 80 shaft in the pro head.. and made such a difference.. The elevate's dispersion was far superior though. Assuming the swing weight was now about D0.5-D1. So.. if I order a Pro or Combo Set with the Elevate 95 shafts.. will they adjust weighting to get swing weight to D2.. or can a specify a different swing weight?

Thanks..
You should call Callaway and ask them for sure, but every time I've requested a specific swing weight to be hit, they do it.

You should call Callaway and ask them for sure, but every time I've requested a specific swing weight to be hit, they do it.

I’m really hoping they nail my requests on mine.

Back