Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

The Bottom Line
I’m a 15.6 handicap. I have swing flaws. Iron play is easily the worst part of my game. In 2017, my GIR rate was 30%. I did not keep tight statistics in 2018 but if anything my GIR numbers had to have been worse than in 2017. It is a very small sample size, but so far I don’t think I have been less than 50% GIRs with these irons. This is unheard of for me. Heck, I have often played two balls and have been hitting the greens with both of them. I N S A N E. In short, I have been seeing transformational type stuff from the Apex Forged irons so far. I know it is early. But so far my experience with these irons has been off the charts great. Charlton Heston “pry them from my dead cold hands” type stuff. I thought I’d keep and play my prior set forever. I sold them within a week of getting the Apex Forged irons. By all indications, these clubs really are that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm encouraged by the fact you got fit in to these being that our handicaps are some what similar.
I know it's never the shaft and always the club head, however can you talk about UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3 shafts since they are new.
Did you try other shafts in your iron fitting?

Can I gush for a hot minute? A few of you may share my feelings and I think others will soon feel the same way.

I can’t start without going back to 2016 and the release of the 2016 Apex CF and Pro lines. I owned both and both served me well. The CF line was great from a feel standpoint and looks standpoint. My Hangul was the gapping between the 8i and 7i. It was too large for me and had me swinging harder with my 8i to try to make up the distance gap.

Fast forward to the 2019 launch and they have fix that gapping issue. They kept the distance, improved on forgiveness, improved the look and manage to get them to launch higher.

The PROs are so sweet, a combo between the 2016 apex cf and 2014 xforged, at least to me. Slim top line and the forgiveness you expect from a players iron. Distance is true, meaning if you hit you 8i 150 then this goes 150. Sure you can hit farther if need be but why? Very soft feel at impact. Paired with the right shaft will do damage in the right hands.

More to come!

you know my game. you and i played at least two of the same sets of irons this year. if you had to pick the 19s or 19 pros for me, which would you recommend? also, any talk from callaway about blending a set? 19s in long irons, pros in mid and short irons?

Oh my, just been jumping around reading post and these sure look great.
Could anyone compare the sole width of a Rogue pro to the CF19 standard and pro please.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but the combo set is a separate integrated set of clubs. The lofts are different so the gaps are right. Callaway is not merely mixing and matching from each set then bending irons.

From the webstite: "The 3-7 irons feature the Apex Standard with key technologies such as the 360 Face Cup and Urethane Microspheres, while the Apex Pro in irons 8-A is a result of all new tooling which adjusts the lofts and blends the leading edge for a seamless transition between the two models."

The loft syncing is great, but something that is obviously possible through a regular custom order but the thing that has me super excited is blends the leading edge. As someone who has combo-ed in some GI or SGI longer irons into sets in the past, one of things that always gets me is a jump in offset in the middle of set. As a 14-15 handicap, I have enough variables in my swing, so the thought of not having to deal with maybe having a tendency to overcook a longer iron seems fantastic.

I'm encouraged by the fact you got fit in to these being that our handicaps are some what similar.
I know it's never the shaft and always the club head, however can you talk about UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3 shafts since they are new.
Did you try other shafts in your iron fitting?

Great questions. Thanks! I have a fitting write up that covers some of this but let’s talk about it here, too.

First, I have to say I was surprised and happy that I ended up in these irons. I like this type of profile. I had hit the new Berthas at my home club and knew they were good. I just didn’t want that much iron.

I can’t emphasize enough how crappy my swing was during the fitting. I thought for sure it was going to land me in the Berthas. But the surprise of the fitting was that my numbers were better with Apex Forged. I think that speaks massive massive volumes to the forgiveness and playability of these irons.

Shafts.... the iron fitting started with me asking for any help I could possibly get with dampening at Impact. I tore a hand ligament going on 2 seasons ago and it still bothers me. With that, all steel options were out. I started with Recoils. My impression at the time is they were stiff flex 680s, like are in my previous set. Nick switched to 6.0 Catalysts. The numbers weren’t as good. He commented how they play stiff to flex and moved me to 5.5s. I got the best numbers with these. We tried a 3rd shaft - sorry, I don’t remember which one - and the 5.5 Catalysts were the winners.

Fast forward to the very end of day 1. I had played the better part of 27 holes with the irons. It was love at first swing. On about the 25th or 26th holes I looked at the shafts and saw that I had received UST Recoil ZT9 460 F3 (regular) shafts. Pretty sure I had never hit them in the fitting and I definitely haven’t played regular flex. I wonder if Callaway ran out of Catalysts? I don’t know. And honestly I don’t care. That’s how much I like what I’ve got.

So I’ve looked a good bit and can’t really find anything on the shafts. I think I heard these are the shafts in Bertha hybrids(?). I also understand these shafts have the new version of UST’s SmackWrap technology, which I need. The irons launch the ball very nicely, my default ball flight appears to be straight and my distances are awesome. So I love them.

Great questions. Thanks! I have a fitting write up that covers some of this but let’s talk about it here, too.

First, I have to say I was surprised and happy that I ended up in these irons. I like this type of profile. I had hit the new Berthas at my home club and new they were good. I just didn’t want that much iron.

I can’t emphasize enough how crappy my swing was during the fitting. I thought for sure it was going to land me in the Berthas. But the surprise of the fitting was that my numbers were better with Apex Forged. I think that speaks massive massive volumes to the forgiveness and playability of these irons. My GIR number for the last 2 seasons was below 30%.

Shafts.... the iron fitting started with me asking for any help I could possibly get with dampening at Impact. I tore a hand ligament going on 2 seasons ago and it still bothers me. With that, all steel options were out. I started with Recoils. My impression at the time is they were stiff flex 680s, like are in my previous set. Nick switched to 6.0 Catalysts. The numbers weren’t as good. He commented how they play stiff to flex and moved me to 5.5s. I got the best numbers with these. We tried a 3rd shaft - sorry, I don’t remember which one - and the 5.5 Catalysts were the winners.

Fast forward to the very end of day 1. I had played the better part of 27 holes with the irons. It was love at first swing. On about the 25th or 26th holes I looked at the shafts and saw that I had received UST Recoil ZT9 460 F3 (regular) shafts. Pretty sure I had never hit them in the fitting and I definitely haven’t played regular flex. I wonder if Callaway ran out of Catalysts? I don’t know. And honestly I don’t care. That’s how much I like what I’ve got.

So I’ve looked a good bit and can’t really find anything on the shafts. I think I heard these are the shafts in Bertha hybrids(?). I also understand these shafts have the new version of UST’s SmackWrap technology, which I need. The irons launch the ball very nicely, my default ball flight appears to be straight and my distances are awesome. So I love them.

And this is why I asked the question to you today and the 2018 Grandaddy thread yesterday. I'm having Catalyst shafts put into my clubs as 6.0 Soft Stepped so they play more like 5.5 (5.5 is not available in .355 taper)
Funny, you we so charged up that it took you almost a full day to really look at your clubs. I so TOTALLY get that. One only has to have been at the Grandaddy to understand.

Did Rogue Irons appear at all at the ECPC for the teams fitting or was it just Apex and Berthas?

Are the graphite shafts still Recoil or are there other options as standard?

And this is why I asked the question to you today and the 2018 Grandaddy thread yesterday. I'm having Catalyst shafts put into my clubs as 6.0 Soft Stepped so they play more like 5.5 (5.5 is not available in .355 taper)
Funny, you we so charged up that it took you almost a full day to really look at your clubs. I so TOTALLY get that. One only has to have been at the Grandaddy to understand.

Did Rogue Irons appear at all at the ECPC for the teams fitting or was it just Apex and Berthas?
I want to say we were told we could get anything we wanted but after seeing the Apex Forged, Apex Pros and Berthas the night before everyone went into the fitting only talking about them.

My driver SS is somewhere in the 90s. The Catalyst 6.0's really did feel like too much shaft to me. Heck, even the 5.5's felt firmer than I'm used to. But as that thread can attest, they are very good.

Are the graphite shafts still Recoil or are there other options as standard?

No, I believe the stock graphite option is the Catalyst.

Can I gush for a hot minute? A few of you may share my feelings and I think others will soon feel the same way.

I can’t start without going back to 2016 and the release of the 2016 Apex CF and Pro lines. I owned both and both served me well. The CF line was great from a feel standpoint and looks standpoint. My Hangul was the gapping between the 8i and 7i. It was too large for me and had me swinging harder with my 8i to try to make up the distance gap.

Fast forward to the 2019 launch and they have fix that gapping issue. They kept the distance, improved on forgiveness, improved the look and manage to get them to launch higher.

The PROs are so sweet, a combo between the 2016 apex cf and 2014 xforged, at least to me. Slim top line and the forgiveness you expect from a players iron. Distance is true, meaning if you hit you 8i 150 then this goes 150. Sure you can hit farther if need be but why? Very soft feel at impact. Paired with the right shaft will do damage in the right hands.

More to come!

any chance you gave catalyst a try? I'd love to hear feedback from someone with your SS.

you know my game. you and i played at least two of the same sets of irons this year. if you had to pick the 19s or 19 pros for me, which would you recommend? also, any talk from callaway about blending a set? 19s in long irons, pros in mid and short irons?

CF 2019 all day for you. And yes some guys on tour are talking of blending their sets with 5-3 in CF and 6-PW in Pro.

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Q: What is the most technology sophisticated or technologically challenging piece of equipment from this release?
A: The Apex irons.

That was from one of the sessions with Callaway during our Grandaddy experience.

That’s saying something about these irons after hearing the tech story behind the Epic Flash.

the more I read on these, the more a combo set will happen. I like that the Pro has a PW at 45* because that helps me gap better to the bottom of the bag. Catalyst 80's in the irons and Catalyst 100 in the wedges.

I could do without the Callaway/Chev badges (would rather see a stamping) but otherwise very nice.

CF 2019 all day for you. And yes some guys on tour are talking of blending their sets with 5-3 in CF and 6-PW in Pro.

thank you, kind sir.

the more I read on these, the more a combo set will happen. I like that the Pro has a PW at 45* because that helps me gap better to the bottom of the bag. Catalyst 80's in the irons and Catalyst 100 in the wedges.

yeah, i'm thinking of combo as well. cf19 in 4-8, pro in 9-gw. need to do a fitting for the shaft, though. catalyst is calling my name, but elevate is super tempting too.

Oh my. OH MY! I now know what love at first sight is like. I've waited 5 years for this and I am not disappointed. Excited to hear about Team THPs experiences and to get these in the bag.

Hit them today. Nice but your 919s are better in my opinion.

Good lord these look great. Probably the only line I will ever game. My '14 APEX still play and feel the way I want but man are these great looking

No better way to decide than a good old fashion bag battle!

better in what way? i hit the original cf16 and thought they felt great. i hit the 919 forged late last year and they performed fine but i didn't care for the feel.

Back