Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Wow these look incredible. I never could get myself comfortable with the old apex line but maybe I'll be giving these a shot with a how beautiful they are.

No, I believe the stock graphite option is the Catalyst.

That is correct. We started with that shaft in my fitting and I sure didn't bring my "A" swing so that may have contributed to trying something else. I've played the Recoils for the last 4 years in two different sets and really enjoy them so we went to work with those and settled on the F2 760's. These are NOT the SmacWrap shafts! Going to the wedges we went with the 460 Recoils (tip issue?).

Another thing I haven't mentioned is if the specs I have seen are correct, the swingweight in graphite shafts was D0 in the CF16s and is D2 in the '19 Apex. That may also be contributing to the spectacular feel I get from these irons if true.

I'm encouraged by the fact you got fit in to these being that our handicaps are some what similar.
I know it's never the shaft and always the club head, however can you talk about UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3 shafts since they are new.
Did you try other shafts in your iron fitting?
What do you know, I finally found something tangible about the shafts. From UST's site:
========

THE RECOIL ZT9® IRON SHAFTS ARE DESIGNED TO PROVIDE MAXIMUM CONTROL AND DISTANCE FOR ALL GOLFERS THROUGH THE LATEST IN DESIGN AND MATERIALS.

ZT9® IS THE FIRST EVER MATERIAL TO BE UTILIZED IN A GOLF SHAFT.

Recoil Technology provides greater consistency, distance and trajectory control

Recoil Technology provides optimal spring effect in the walls of the shaft and more efficient energy transfer to the ball for increased velocity and greater distance.
ZT9® = for better impact strength and feel

Higher damping provides better elongation of material to increase damping rate for better feel on mishits.
Ion Plating (IP) creates a stunning and premium finish vs. traditional paint

The raw shaft is put into a vacuum chamber where metal ions are emitted and bond to the shaft.
The process takes extra time and is more expensive than traditional methods.
This extra step is all done in-house, so we are able to ensure tighter control for the best quality.
Recoil- It's more than a reaction. It's a revolution.

*Taper tip available upon request.

SHAFT SPECIFICATIONS
SWING SPEED RECOMMENDATIONS
TIP TRIMMING RECOMMENDATIONS
Description Flex Weight Torque (deg) Launch Butt OD Tip OD Tip Parallel Length
Recoil 460 ZT9 F2 A 62g 4.6° High 0.600" 0.370" 5.5" 41"
Recoil 460 ZT9 F3 R 69g 4.0° Mid-High 0.600" 0.370" 5.5" 41"
Recoil 470 ZT9 F4 S 72g 3.9° Mid-High 0.600" 0.370" 5.5" 41"

Great write-ups guys. You’ve all done a spectacular job sharing honest feedback (and coincidentally selling a few haha).

If I could budget in new irons this year the regular apex (smoke) would be first in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i may have missed it, but did anyone go with the stock elevate shaft? i don't think anyone did. was that because that shaft wasn't the best fit for every one of you guys, or was it not available for testing? personally, that shaft REALLY excites me as a stock option.
I didn't, but I tried the Elevate for a few swings and thought it was okay but didn't love it.

Are the graphite shafts still Recoil or are there other options as standard?
Project X Catalyst --- I think 80 is stock option in Apex and 100 in Apex Pro.

Oh sorry my man, they only have the stock shafts available.
Those are the stock graphite option so I bet there are some in the bags. They look like steel if you don't take a close look at the shaft model. Definitely fun to try if you haven't swung them before.

I didn't, but I tried the Elevate for a few swings and thought it was okay but didn't love it.

Project X Catalyst --- I think 80 is stock option in Apex and 100 in Apex Pro.

Those are the stock graphite option so I bet there are some in the bags. They look like steel if you don't take a close look at the shaft model. Definitely fun to try if you haven't swung them before.

Let me go look and take some cuts.

ec48bd7a17355263ca2b398bc3f1b848.jpg
284fcc91f3bfe3b9b55e3906477656eb.jpg

Let me go look and take some cuts.

Awesome. They look like this (except this is the hybrid version LOL)...

d7016e6cdedba8219515382d42b25a10.jpg

Awesome. They look like this (except this is the hybrid version LOL)...

d7016e6cdedba8219515382d42b25a10.jpg

You guys have too many threads..lol killing it.

I just hit the 6i with the Catalyst 6.0 and while I liked what I saw, I need to slow down to flush it. I’m used to a 125g shaft and get after it a little more.

Ball flight was good, launched the same as the UST Recoils I have at home. Solid dispersion just about a 1/2 club shorter than the KBS shaft I was taking cuts with earlier.

You guys have too many threads..lol killing it.

I just hit the 6i with the Catalyst 6.0 and while I liked what I saw, I need to slow down to flush it. I’m used to a 125g shaft and get after it a little more.

Ball flight was good, launched the same as the UST Recoils I have at home. Solid dispersion just about a 1/2 club shorter than the KBS shaft I was taking cuts with earlier.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the parallel tip 6.0 would be a little soft but glad you got to try them.

@mclovin, I think this is right up our alley. From Golfweek today:
"Callaway is making an Apex Combo set available that blends Apex CF 19 long and mid-irons (3-7) with Apex Pro 19 short irons (8-AW). In that set, the sole shape in the Apex Pro 19 irons was given extra camber to match the sole of the Apex CF 19. They also have slightly strong lofts to better address gapping issues."

Related: can you find me someone that can get me a big tax refund so I can afford these?

Combo set, the Elevate 95 in 6.5 or Catalyst in 100 6.0. Going to be fun trying these out, put a call in to Leadbetter and they have no idea when they will get the fitting cart...darn it

thank you, kind sir.

yeah, i'm thinking of combo as well. cf19 in 4-8, pro in 9-gw. need to do a fitting for the shaft, though. catalyst is calling my name, but elevate is super tempting too.

"Callaway is making an Apex Combo set available that blends Apex CF 19 long and mid-irons (3-7) with Apex Pro 19 short irons (8-AW). In that set, the sole shape in the Apex Pro 19 irons was given extra camber to match the sole of the Apex CF 19. They also have slightly strong lofts to better address gapping issues."

Related: can you find me someone that can get me a big tax refund so I can afford these?

I got some good news a few weeks back on my bonus that hits in March.... looks like I’ll at least be able to seriously ponder these

I saw these today in person along with everything else released and they looked good. Reminds me of the legacy irons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Called my fitter. Won’t have the heads in till the 20th. Waiting is the worse part.

yes! combo set is almost certainly going to be what i opt for. on the refund, i have a great tax tip for you: request that your employer withhold an extra $500 from each paycheck. your refund will increase by about $13,000. :sarcasm:

Combo set, the Elevate 95 in 6.5 or Catalyst in 100 6.0. Going to be fun trying these out, put a call in to Leadbetter and they have no idea when they will get the fitting cart...darn it

i made a similar request to true spec last month. i'll ping jason next week and see what he says. but my caveat is i want to test a full set, not just a 6i. i'm concerned about gapping.

I got some good news a few weeks back on my bonus that hits in March.... looks like I’ll at least be able to seriously ponder these

noice! i too got some good news recently. so naturally i want to spend every dollar of it :banghead:

noice! i too got some good news recently, too. so naturally i want to spend every dollar of it :banghead:

Annual contribution to the girls college fund is first, then bills.. still leaves enough in the table for me.

Annual contribution to the girls college fund is first, then bills.. still leaves enough in the table for me.

that is way too much of an adulting approach. i'd rather spend it all and hope for the best lmao

yes! combo set is almost certainly going to be what i opt for. on the refund, i have a great tax tip for you: request that your employer withhold an extra $500 from each paycheck. your refund will increase by about $13,000. :sarcasm:

i made a similar request to true spec last month. i'll ping jason next week and see what he says. but my caveat is i want to test a full set, not just a 6i. i'm concerned about gapping.

noice! i too got some good news recently. so naturally i want to spend every dollar of it :banghead:
I agree fully, it will be important to try as many clubs as possible, I hate 6 or 7 iron fittings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wubears and I were tracking on the same page. I visited the fitter today at lunch and spent about 15 minutes with the Apex CF19 7 iron. Very, very, very nice irons!

These look beautiful. I have CF16 and they have been the best irons I have ever hit. Love the feel and sound. I am going to have to find a way to get these in my bag this spring. Saving tips now.

Back