Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

These look beautiful. I have CF16 and they have been the best irons I have ever hit. Love the feel and sound. I am going to have to find a way to get these in my bag this spring. Saving tips now.

They look really nice, but I don't see them kicking out my CF16's.

Reading Callaway website and the feedback here it looks like these took what the cf-16’s did well and improved on it.

I’m curious to see how they gap the combo sets bc the lofts don’t match up between the apex 7 iron & pro 8 iron

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I love the looks and feel of the new CF19 irons. Swinging them side by side i really couldn't tell much difference. The pros are maybe a touch softer. They both provided a very satisfying thwack at impact. I had a pretty trash swing when i was getting fit and went for the forgiveness of the Apex. I did see a difference in distance of about 7 to 10 yards between the Pros and the Apex so that made the decision a little easier as well. I have no problem spinning these new irons. Playing at the Hideaway i was getting Summer distances in 50 degree wet weather so i expect to pick up a couple yards.

In my bag are Apex CF19s 5-PW with Elevate 95 shafts.

643d81297f451ec840821a7600f983db.jpg

7 iron

d2c5cb5f9d612cc9873b188217156e81.jpg

5 iron

Alright here are some comparison pics between the Apex MB, the 18 XForged, and the 19 Apex Pro 7 irons.

First pic is MB on the right, Xforged in the middle.
Second pic is MB on the right, Apex Pro in the middle.

00ca41981ec8c13825fdfd9e2d424e6e.jpg
f1f49dbbf3ab77f4557848870681c259.jpg

Alright here are some comparison pics between the Apex MB, the 18 XForged, and the 19 Apex Pro 7 irons.

First pic is MB on the right, Xforged in the middle.
Second pic is MB on the right, Apex Pro in the middle.

00ca41981ec8c13825fdfd9e2d424e6e.jpg
f1f49dbbf3ab77f4557848870681c259.jpg
Great shots dude.

Great reviews and feed back as someone in the market for new irons i love the look of these. I would be concerned with some of the spin numbers I am a low spinner for sure have been hitting testing some irons lately and with a 7 iron the max spin I have been getting with several i have tested is around 4,500. Guess there is only one way to find out. I am in the process of setting up a fitting.

Great reviews and feed back as someone in the market for new irons i love the look of these. I would be concerned with some of the spin numbers I am a low spinner for sure have been hitting testing some irons lately and with a 7 iron the max spin I have been getting with several i have tested is around 4,500. Guess there is only one way to find out. I am in the process of setting up a fitting.

Setting up the fitting will be huge. The numbers here can certainly seem a little scary but it could be offset by getting higher ball flight and steeper landing angles in to the green. That and your fitter may be able to get the perfect shaft to get the spin where you want.

Setting up the fitting will be huge. The numbers here can certainly seem a little scary but it could be offset by getting higher ball flight and steeper landing angles in to the green. That and your fitter may be able to get the perfect shaft to get the spin where you want.
Yea definitely need a fitting, with clubs I tested so far on my own wasn't finding the right combo got decent launch but low spin and descent angle

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Beautiful irons, love the look. If I were in the market, they'd top the list. But I'm not.

(No, I am NOT! Really, I'm not. Nope, not this year. Still 2018 though, isn't it? Somewhere? In some alternate plane of existence? No, seriously... I'm out, NOT interested. Not gonna happen today.)

But... I can always make like Annie and dust off the vocal cords. Ahem. Tomorr...

"NO!!!!!"

I won't be"upgrading" or changing my irons right now because I can't find anything wrong with what I own. BUT, if I do, this will be the replacement. I'm imagining a KBS Tour and some incredible distance.

These were probably the most anticipated piece of equipment going into the Grandaddy for me. Irons are my favorite spot of the bag, and I was a big fan of the previous Apex line. I had the CF16 in the bag, and I really liked them, but there were a couple things that I felt could be improved. First, I tend to prefer a bit more squared off look than the CF16. Second, while I know some people didn't see this, I was one of the folks who had issues with the occasional jumper with the short irons. But from an overall profile, marrying that smaller bordering on players iron profile with distance and forgiveness, I'm not sure there's been a better offering in recent years.

So, when DNevs was going over the line in the Callaway Live studio, I was on the edge of my seat, and my anticipation paid off quickly. I really liked what I saw with the shaping changes, and it was great to hear about the variable face technology for more consistent approach. And seeing that they were able to get the cup face in the Pro was absolutely staggering - that's a really compact profile. It was really cool to see some of the innovations in the Epic and Rogue lines make their way into the Apex line as well. One of the things I think was cool about this iteration is that the design is so similar between the Apex and Pros, even moreso than the '14 or '16 iterations.

In his presentation, DNevs positioned the Apex Forged as targeted towards a 9 handicapper, and the Pros as targeted towards low single digits. I think that seems about right, but the range of players that can play each of these are pretty wide. Still, as a 9.5 handicapper, I would say the Apex Forged were immediately right in my wheelhouse, despite coming from a set of irons probably closer to the Pros. And the slight changes went a long way for me in terms of comfort at address through the bag. The fitting quickly confirmed this, with both distance and distance and dispersion favoring the Forged over the Pros. And as someone who doesn't spin the ball a ton historically, I wasn't seeing anything crazy with these - about 6500 rpm with the 7i, only about 500rpm less than the pros.

When it came to competition, what I can say about these irons are that they're way more forgiving than they should be given their profile. I think, partly due to a major change in shaft profile, these are going to need a bit of an adjustment period for me - going from 120-130g to 95 is a big change. At the same time, I think once I get used to them I'll get more out of the club with less effort and it'll pay off long term. But even not striking the ball well, I hit a ton of greens, especially on singles day. And distance consistency has been excellent - I was able to dial in distances very quickly, and they were in the ballpark of what I saw in the fitting when I was hitting the ball better.

My initial impressions: If you liked the CF16, you're going to really like these. They're an improvement, but very clearly an iteration. And I think that is really smart, since those were one of the best club releases in recent years. I'm looking forward to getting some more swings in, working out some of the issues, and hitting a ton of greens with these.

Last edited:
Anyone on team thp or that has hit the pro... any comparisons strictly as an ease of hitting/ forgiveness level compared to 718 AP2? Know these are a different beast, but I’m thinking of a combo set and just want to see where these fall. Had no issues hitting the ap2 in 6-w.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone on team thp or that has hit the pro... any comparisons strictly as an ease of hitting/ forgiveness level compared to 718 AP2? Know these are a different beast, but I’m thinking of a combo set and just want to see where these fall. Had no issues hitting the ap2 in 6-w.

I hit the AP2 in my last fitting, but it was the previous version. If it’s any help I would say the short irons played similarly to me but the long irons were easier to hit.

These were probably the most anticipated piece of equipment going into the Grandaddy for me. Irons are my favorite spot of the bag, and I was a big fan of the previous Apex line. I had the CF16 in the bag, and I really liked them, but there were a couple things that I felt could be improved. First, I tend to prefer a bit more squared off look than the CF16. Second, while I know some people didn't see this, I was one of the folks who had issues with the occasional jumper with the short irons. But from an overall profile, marrying that smaller bordering on players iron profile with distance and forgiveness, I'm not sure there's been a better offering in recent years.

So, when DNevs was going over the line in the Callaway Live studio, I was on the edge of my seat, and my anticipation paid off quickly. I really liked what I saw with the shaping changes, and it was great to hear about the variable face technology for more consistent approach. And seeing that they were able to get the cup face in the Pro was absolutely staggering - that's a really compact profile. It was really cool to see some of the innovations in the Epic and Rogue lines make their way into the Apex line as well. One of the things I think was cool about this iteration is that the design is so similar between the Apex and Pros, even moreso than the '14 or '16 iterations.

In his presentation, DNevs positioned the Apex Forged as targeted towards a 9 handicapper, and the Pros as targeted towards low single digits. I think that seems about right, but the range of players that can play each of these are pretty wide. Still, as a 9.5 handicapper, I would say the Apex Forged were immediately right in my wheelhouse, despite coming from a set of irons probably closer to the Pros. And the slight changes went a long way for me in terms of comfort at address through the bag. The fitting quickly confirmed this, with both distance and distance and dispersion favoring the Forged over the Pros. And as someone who doesn't spin the ball a ton historically, I wasn't seeing anything crazy with these - about 6500 rpm with the 7i, only about 500rpm less than the pros.

When it came to competition, what I can say about these irons are that they're way more forgiving than they should be given their profile. I think, partly due to a major change in shaft profile, these are going to need a bit of an adjustment period for me - going from 120-130g to 95 is a big change. At the same time, I think once I get used to them I'll get more out of the club with less effort and it'll pay off long term. But even not striking the ball well, I hit a ton of greens, especially on singles day. And distance consistency has been excellent - I was able to dial in distances very quickly, and they were in the ballpark of what I saw in the fitting when I was hitting the ball better.

My initial impressions: If you liked the CF16, you're going to really like these. They're an improvement, but very clearly an iteration. And I think that is really smart, since those were one of the best club releases in recent years. I'm looking forward to getting some more swings in, working out some of the issues, and hitting a ton of greens with these.

This is a really great post. Seems like plenty of spin in the standard model and more forgiveness.

This is a really great post. Seems like plenty of spin in the standard model and more forgiveness.

I am not sure there is an iron anywhere near this size with better bottom groove forgiveness.

I am not sure there is an iron anywhere near this size with better bottom groove forgiveness.
We've tested the bottom groves better than the robot. They work!

Also to note, @Boder claims the hosel has tremendous ball speed as well.

We've tested the bottom groves better than the robot. They work!

Also to note, @Boder claims the hosel has tremendous ball speed as well.

Flash hosel!

My initial impressions: If you liked the CF16, you're going to really like these. They're an improvement, but very clearly an iteration. And I think that is really smart, since those were one of the best club releases in recent years./QUOTE]

Awesome. I love my CF16’s. Can’t wait for these.

I’ve been known to use the bottom groove, glad this trait is carrying on in the new line.

These irons are gorgeous l!! Love the feedback form the granddaddy boys!

Reading Callaway website and the feedback here it looks like these took what the cf-16’s did well and improved on it.

I’m curious to see how they gap the combo sets bc the lofts don’t match up between the apex 7 iron & pro 8 iron
I saw on the wesbite a bit on this, and I'm very interested to see how it works out. The combo set is very much on my radar.

Per Callaway's website:

"Apex Combo Set

To live up to the name Apex, we had to rethink the combo set.* The result is a beautiful fusion of the Apex Standard and the Apex Pro.* The 3-7 irons feature the Apex Standard with key technologies such as the 360 Face Cup and Urethane Microspheres, while the Apex Pro in irons 8-A is a result of all new tooling which adjusts the lofts and blends the leading edge for a seamless transition between the two models. The Apex Combo set is available in the stunning Platinum Chrome finish of the Standard model."

I was really impressed with the bottom groove forgiveness of the Pro model as well. I got away with shots that I probably didn't deserve.

Rogt
Iron Set:
Apex 6-AW, shafts Nippon Modus 105’s stiff 2* upright. This was an area I wanted to really focus on at my Grandaddy experience. I had my best year with distance, dispersion and ball striking, with a different manufacturer’s Irons in 2018, so after the Initial presentation and getting to see these and feel them the night before my hopes were at a high of getting an even better Iron set. They were just sexy. The profile at address perfect lines not a real thin or thick top line and the sole thickness more around a CB design type iron, the badging is very well done not to over done just simple. The finish is a big improvement over the CF16’s IMO and the having the Smoke and Chrome for option’s, and also a combo set, and a fully forged 1025 multi piece construction, 360 face cup, so much involved in this iron, creating great feel and design throughout. Callaway was bringing it in the Iron department for 2019. Fitting, I really did take a lot of time here, affecting my time for woods, but it was critical in my mind. Garrett handed me first a standard Apex 19, 7 iron and said get a feel then we will start, well the first couple were not to great again player not the equipment problem, as I got loose, I started seeing better results, hitting my target yardage 160 as a avg. he then handed me the Apex Pro’s and instantly I started flushing these irons perfectly, every shot, one after another I was extremely happy, I walked back to look at numbers and Garrett said yes I was hitting it better, and also swinging better, but loosing 5 to 8 yards, so he asked me to swing the standard Apex again, first couple were great strikes, going past my 160 avg. a few times, he then recommended in his opinion to go with the Apex instead of loosing the yardage that I was with the pros, I agreed. Game day, practice range I was flushing these well, practice balls sucked Ti…...t, so really didn’t know what my flight was going to be during the round using Chrome Soft, right off first hole, defiantly better then range balls lol, the CS flew off my iron and actually flew the green, instant smiles on my face, my partner looked at me like you flew the green, and I was like I know I am happy to be back feeling, but better what I did in 2018, the round was going to be fun. It did still take some time to get my distances down but by mid round they were coming in and I hit some great shots in the morning and afternoon rounds that made me feel great about the selection of the standard Apex. Even on miss hits there was not much vibration thanks to incorporating urethane microspheres, who’d a thought that? From the miss hit or yardage loss they flat out perform. I never thought I would get rid of my Irons from 2018 but they will be heading out the door, I am already thinking of picking ups a spare set, they are that good. I will be playing these tomorrow supposed to be 54* so should get a full 18 or more in for some better reviewing.
d5b84c4eeda3eb25ece0141ee517742f.jpg
7f7874f6e76a1ca32f624c3ecd420a00.jpg
5c72418e15f8f5167221f64eadd23dba.jpg
1e48b0529becf0c940026e1f0470fb86.jpg
dac7be109d1c77ce57884c4b74c92e23.jpg
311e2fc256b9fa4676e4c188071c4d25.jpg
. More to come.

I'm still disappointed in the fact that they don't look nearly as sexy as the Xander protos. I'm content with my 2016 Apex Pros, so I'm not in the market anyhow.

I'm still disappointed in the fact that they don't look nearly as sexy as the Xander protos. I'm content with my 2016 Apex Pros, so I'm not in the market anyhow.
Different strokes for different folks....to me they look a million times better than the Xander protos. But good deal that you are very happy with your '16s

other than the scripting in the cavity, are they really that different? xander proto on top, 19 pro on bottom.

1ddaac7fca5897c9475eb97f988c1fe3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back