Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I liked the picture from the club lab

WEB2694112-FDA667FB-3A94-4004-546D-98C931BF8D5B.jpg

set up a gapping analysis for this sunday, which will also include a lie analysis. if nothing else it will give me comfort in my setup. but i'm thinking we will make some changes.

I'm not ready to jump ship on what I have but this past week at the PGASS I had a chance to hit a lot of different products. These stood out along with the Srixon Z785. Such a clean look and soft feel with great numbers.

Sorry if you already wrote this (which seems sort of apparent) but you had a mixed set and got rid of the pros?
Did they seem that different to you? I have the combo set and don't notice a lot except the top line. Gaps are good and transition seems pretty seamless.
I am more of sweeper than a digger so that may make a difference - but love to hear your feedback

Yes I did. And it's night and day to me in terms of how they feel. The pros don't feel nearly as powerful or forgiving, but they spin more.

Question for those who are using the Normal Apex or the Apex Combo set and stopping at the 5 iron. Are you finding the distance gap proper going with the Apex 19 4 hybrid? The reason I ask, the Apex 5 iron is 23.5 degrees @ 38"... and the Apex 19 4hy is just 23 degrees, but at 39.5". I'm afraid the gap would be too close.

On the flip side, the new Epic flash hybrid and the Big Berth hybrid go to 21 degrees at 40"... which seems would create too big of gap between them and the Apex 5 iron.

Leaves me unsure of what route to go.

I'd suggest not focusing solely on loft. Remember, there are plenty of factors aside from just the loft - the shafts can be different lengths and profile, the faces may be more or less hot, COG locations differ, etc.. Depending on our swings working with all of that what works for one may not for another.

Just do some demos, take your 5i as a reference club, and see which one gives the right gapping. Or buy from someplace with a good return/exchange policy.

Question for those who are using the Normal Apex or the Apex Combo set and stopping at the 5 iron. Are you finding the distance gap proper going with the Apex 19 4 hybrid? The reason I ask, the Apex 5 iron is 23.5 degrees @ 38"... and the Apex 19 4hy is just 23 degrees, but at 39.5". I'm afraid the gap would be too close.

On the flip side, the new Epic flash hybrid and the Big Berth hybrid go to 21 degrees at 40"... which seems would create too big of gap between them and the Apex 5 iron.

Leaves me unsure of what route to go.

The Apex 4h has a shaft length of 39.5 and the 5i is 38. So that's a full 1.5" of difference in shaft length between those, which will have a bearing on club head speed. The numbers also don't have to "match" - you could put a Bertha 5h in and then go to a 5i.

Best way to find out is to hit the clubs on a monitor or on course.

loft/lie/gapping analysis today at the same place and same fitter that fit me into these earlier this year.

earlier this year i had a hip issue that was preventing a full release. accordingly i was ott with a fade, so we went 2* up. that shocked me since i’ve always been 1-2* flat, but the results were great so i went with it.

since getting the clubs i fixed my hip, and have really struggled with hitting greens. good shots are high penetrating draws that just. keep. drawing. my arccos percentages have my left miss higher than its ever been.

in the analysis today, we saw that 2* up was very wrong. he bent back to standard and we saw some much better flight, but still a little too much draw. so he went to 1* flat, and it introduced too much toe miss. so he bumped it back to 0.5” flat and voila nice straight shots when i made good swings.

he took all the irons back to spec them, and he said he lies and lofts were all over the place. he bent everything to 0.5” flat, and bumped the lies back to standard spec.

the trackman report is pending, but on good shots i recall seeing:
aw 125
pw 142
9i 155
8i 168
7i 178
6i 192
5i 205

it’s good to know what the lie needs to be when i go to ecpc. my only request will be for a little more weight in the shaft to help me deliver the club more on plane. i think we went a little too light with kbs tour 90 and i’m getting way under the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone seeing some hot shots with the standards?

I have hit a few freak bombs with mine at some terrible times.

I hit a 9i approach yesterday that carried 12 yards longer than normal.

Handily flew the green (from the fairway) and ended up in trouble I couldn't recover from. Carded a triple in a spot I anticipated par or bogey.

A couple of rounds ago I hit a ridiculous 5i on a longish par 3 that easily flew 20 yards past normal.

Ended up 38 yards above the pin--saved a bogey.

I am in the midst of some swing changes that promote distance gains but these shots have me little rattled.

These numbers are also both laser and Arccos supported. These were also well struck, not thinned.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Handily flew the green (from the fairway) and ended up in trouble I couldn't recover from. Carded a triple in a spot I anticipated par or bogey.

A couple of rounds ago I hit a ridiculous 5i on a longish par 3 that easily flew 20 yards past normal.

I am in the midst of some swing changes that promote distance gains but these shots have me little rattled.

These numbers are also both laser and Arccos supported. These were also well struck, not thinned.

I’m of the mindset that as an amateur, if I see what you call a “freak bomb” it just means I’ve actually made contact dead on the sweet spot and am seeing the potential of the club with consistent good strikes.

I’m of the mindset that as an amateur, if I see what you call a “freak bomb” it just means I’ve actually made contact dead on the sweet spot and am seeing the potential of the club with consistent good strikes.

That’s the reality of what happens most times.

I’ll say, the CF16 did have an issue there, but I’ve not seen it in the CF19, and I know it’s something they worked specifically to address.

I can’t say I have, unless we’re talking pulled shots - if anything, I’ve been amazed by the distance consistency with these relative to other distance irons I’ve tried. I’m pretty low spin through the bag, and these showed up regularly with the CF16, but have not at all been an issue with the ‘19.

loft/lie/gapping analysis today at the same place and same fitter that fit me into these earlier this year.

earlier this year i had a hip issue that was preventing a full release. accordingly i was ott with a fade, so we went 2* up. that shocked me since i’ve always been 1-2* flat, but the results were great so i went with it.

since getting the clubs i fixed my hip, and have really struggled with hitting greens. good shots are high penetrating draws that just. keep. drawing. my arccos percentages have my left miss higher than its ever been.

in the analysis today, we saw that 2* up was very wrong. he bent back to standard and we saw some much better flight, but still a little too much draw. so he went to 1* flat, and it introduced too much toe miss. so he bumped it back to 0.5” flat and voila nice straight shots when i made good swings.

he took all the irons back to spec them, and he said he lies and lofts were all over the place. he bent everything to 0.5” flat, and bumped the lies back to standard spec.

the trackman report is pending, but on good shots i recall seeing:
aw 125
pw 142
9i 155
8i 168
7i 178
6i 192
5i 205

it’s good to know what the lie needs to be when i go to ecpc. my only request will be for a little more weight in the shaft to help me deliver the club more on plane. i think we went a little too light with kbs tour 90 and i’m getting way under the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Man, when the lies are correct for your swing and tendencies it can have a surprisingly big impact on your shot quality and confidence.
I just tweaked my 7 iron one more flat and added one degree of loft (was one strong and I noticed the bit of extra offset) and it feels great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the reality of what happens most times.

I’ll say, the CF16 did have an issue there, but I’ve not seen it in the CF19, and I know it’s something they worked specifically to address.
All I can say is wish I could dial up those distances on a normal basis!

Would be some ridiculous potential to unlock.

It is a little unnerving---I certainly never experienced this with my prior set.

I can’t say I have, unless we’re talking pulled shots - if anything, I’ve been amazed by the distance consistency with these relative to other distance irons I’ve tried. I’m pretty low spin through the bag, and these showed up regularly with the CF16, but have not at all been an issue with the ‘19.
Maybe it's just my swing quirks.

FWIW both of these shots were straight and well struck.

Maybe I am just intermittently finding some extra speed or better center contact.

It's just waaaay above my normal distances.

Maybe I am just intermittently finding some extra speed or better center contact.

Remember though, well struck can be just off the sweet spot, or dead in it, and often that can yield a difference.

I've been using my home courses demo 7 iron for a few rounds and I'm really liking it. It's longer than my CF16 by maybe a 1/2 club but I love the feel of the new one. I'm not sure if the elevate is the right shaft. I have the kbs tour-v 110's in my cf16's but would like to reduce my height some if I do make a change. I'll have to do a proper fitting to determine which shaft may fit best. Overall though, the looks and feel of these are amazing and I really want to do some testing now.

I lost alot of weight so I'm down in the power department so I've been playing a club up from my "normal" yardages this season but have played the best golf of my life actually.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Could be something like loft delivery too, that’ll make a big difference, and something I would notice when working on some swing changes. Slight difference in a swing would be worth 10-15 yards easy.

Could be something like loft delivery too, that’ll make a big difference, and something I would notice when working on some swing changes. Slight difference in a swing would be worth 10-15 yards easy.
Good thought here. Not unlikely.

Good thought here. Not unlikely.

Fresh in my mind today after hitting my 52 degree wedge ~15y different on back to back swings today.

Consistent distance is one of the things with these irons that I've been most impressed with! I know (within a typical amateurs range - I'm no Ben Hogan) exactly what I am going to get from these with a normal swing, when I choke down and when I "step" on one.

I may have a set of pros available shortly if I don't find my iron swing, next time we play you need to try them and see if there is any difference for you.

I may have a set of pros available shortly if I don't find my iron swing, next time we play you need to try them and see if there is any difference for you.
Sounds good. Haven't hit the Pros---assumed they are better than I am.

Just a massive shout out to the apex combo set. Hit some of the best irons in my life today. I. Love. These.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back