Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

man did these irons perform so much better today with the flatter lie angle. i didn’t hit a huge number of greens, but i loved the flight and distances i saw. went long on 4 different shots, whereas i have been coming up short most often. if i could do it over again, i would go a little heavier with the shaft in hopes of improving consistency of contact. but it sure was fun to hit the kind of shots i’ve been waiting for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve played 3 rounds with the Apex Pros...they are not fit for me, just standard off the rack with Catalyst 6.0 as this has been an experiment as to whether I want to get fit into these or not.

I love how they feel...I have hit some ridiculous shots. The click off the face on a pure shot is just fantastic. Distance is great and I’m able to shape the ball easily. Granted, I’m swinging really well at the moment but I’m really happy with them. I definitely need to go get fit again, but bravo Callaway.

i got my trackman numbers from my gapping session (post lie angle and loft adjustments), and while the gaps still aren't ideal they are better. i'm hoping over time this smooths out.

club -> carry -> spin
5i -> 200 -> 3,844
6i -> 193 -> 4,060
7i -> 174 -> 5,241
8i
9i -> 158 -> 6,829
pw -> 142 -> 7,666
aw -> 123 -> 8,266

no data was provided for the 8i because we did the initial analysis based on it. from what i recall, carry was consistently in the 168-172 range, which gaps properly off the 9i.

the gap from 8 to 7, and 6 to 5 are issues. i might need to get back on a monitor at some point and get the 7i bent a little stronger.

the 5i isn't as much an issue with the club as it is with my delivery. he said i have a tendency to get the face closed at impact, which will reduce carry quite a bit. i hit a couple nice ones at the end of the session that carried 204-212, so i just need to work on a more neutral delivery and should see some better stuff.

Chris with previous sets do you remember seeing a smaller gap in the longer irons 5 to 6? I know I have which is why I ditched the 5.

Chris with previous sets do you remember seeing a smaller gap in the longer irons 5 to 6? I know I have which is why I ditched the 5.

not that i recall. arccos has my forged tec black 5i at 202, 6i at 187. but i'm not very confident with 5i, and would probably be better served with a hybrid in that spot.

So starting to swing better, and my distances are jumping haha. This means I am having a little bit of a weird gap between my pw and my cobra 50* gap (mostly due to not hitting the 50* as consistently as I should). Going to be in search of the apex pro gap wedge here shortly. If anyone here has the GW in their set but does't want it or never uses it, hit me up please :)

Getting fit in less than 30 minutes!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fitting is done and can’t wait to get new set up in. Seeing 170 yd 7i again is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might have found one of my issues today, moved the ball back in the stance and much better contact.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'll try to keep this short but man what an experience at my fitting today. I've been playing the CF16's with KBS tour-v's and had decent results but recently I really started losing distance with some swing changes that I've been working on. I've thought the shafts were the culprit and I'm glad I went and got some data.

I hit some baseline 7 irons to get started and results weren't bad but distance was low 140-150 yards in the Sim. Spin was crazy high with some shots over 7k rpm. We analyzed my takeaway, speed and transition and the decision was made that I need x-flex which makes no sense whatsoever to me. Lol, my driver SS is between 100 and 105.

Went through a host of shaft offerings: DG S200, DGx100, project x, project x LZ, c taper, c taper lite, and kbs tour x. We went through the data and the x100 and kbs tour x were clearly better than the rest. Did some additional testing and was SUPER consistent with the tour x and the 2 degree up 7 iron head. I don't have the data in front of me but I picked up an average of 17 yards and my SS was even up with the x flex shaft (average was 81mph). Spin came down in the 4-5k range and the numbers were all looking good and dispersion for my swing was pretty phenomenal.

Now I'm torn on dropping the coin and just ordering the new set or reshafting my cf16's and holding off on the new heads. I think we all know I'll order them but I'm trying to be responsible, lol. It really just shows that so many factors go into shaft selection. My take away and transition are what warrant the x flex and it's not totally dependant on swing speed which is hard for my brain to process. Anyways, these irons are phenomenal and I'm excited that I got some good data to go from.

I'll try to keep this short but man what an experience at my fitting today. I've been playing the CF16's with KBS tour-v's and had decent results but recently I really started losing distance with some swing changes that I've been working on. I've thought the shafts were the culprit and I'm glad I went and got some data.

I hit some baseline 7 irons to get started and results weren't bad but distance was low 140-150 yards in the Sim. Spin was crazy high with some shots over 7k rpm. We analyzed my takeaway, speed and transition and the decision was made that I need x-flex which makes no sense whatsoever to me. Lol, my driver SS is between 100 and 105.

Went through a host of shaft offerings: DG S200, DGx100, project x, project x LZ, c taper, c taper lite, and kbs tour x. We went through the data and the x100 and kbs tour x were clearly better than the rest. Did some additional testing and was SUPER consistent with the tour x and the 2 degree up 7 iron head. I don't have the data in front of me but I picked up an average of 17 yards and my SS was even up with the x flex shaft (average was 81mph). Spin came down in the 4-5k range and the numbers were all looking good and dispersion for my swing was pretty phenomenal.

Now I'm torn on dropping the coin and just ordering the new set or reshafting my cf16's and holding off on the new heads. I think we all know I'll order them but I'm trying to be responsible, lol. It really just shows that so many factors go into shaft selection. My take away and transition are what warrant the x flex and it's not totally dependant on swing speed which is hard for my brain to process. Anyways, these irons are phenomenal and I'm excited that I got some good data to go from.

Good stuff rizzo, and yeah, you're done, you're gonna drop the coin. These clubs are so fun to hit I look forward to every round, not like I didn't before, but there's a little extra juice now. The pro's feel amazing when you pure them (or at least come close) and they let you know when you're strike was well off like a good forged iron should. The pro's are surprisingly forgiving. I skanked an 8 iron towards the toe the other day, refused to watch it finish, turned my head to see it hole high 15 feet left of the pin. The standard irons feel different, but just as rewarding and enjoyable to hit. Both are very workable. Your driver swing speed is identical to mine so the x-stiff recommendation on the shaft is baffling, but it probably depends on the brand of shaft? Let us know what you end up with. I'll game these for quite a while.

With 4-5k of spin with a 7, what was you launch, height, and descent angle? Are you worried at all about holding greens?

I know there’s more to it than just spin, but I’d be worried about that personally.

I need to get on a monitor with mine to see where my spin is at now haha. With my blades I was sitting around 62-6500 with my 7. I know I’m hitting the apex pro higher and lower spinning but I’m not seeing too much detriment on the green aspect unless I hit a lower shot.

Just wondering

With 4-5k of spin with a 7, what was you launch, height, and descent angle? Are you worried at all about holding greens?

I know there’s more to it than just spin, but I’d be worried about that personally.

I need to get on a monitor with mine to see where my spin is at now haha. With my blades I was sitting around 62-6500 with my 7. I know I’m hitting the apex pro higher and lower spinning but I’m not seeing too much detriment on the green aspect unless I hit a lower shot.

Just wondering

I don't have the data in front of me, I think I left it there because I can't find it anywhere. The launch angle was very close to my current setup and I was hitting the xstiff combos slightly higher as well. I want to say the angle was around 20 degrees and peak height was 30 yards. The descent angle was 50 and I was 48 or so with my old combo. They yardage gain was substantial for the carry distance and just a few more yards of roll out so I should be able to hold the greens.

With my current irons I get zero roll if I ever find the green in regulation, lol. I went into this with an open mind but I was thinking I was going to need to step down to a regular flex or even try some graphite options. My driver fitting earlier this year was very similar as well. Thought I would need regular flex and ended up in a heavier stiffer shaft than I ever thought I would need. Such a personal game and so many quirks in individuals swings to make things different.

Apex Pros have been very good for me. I'm not head over heels for the feel in the longer irons, but they do feel better than the P790 long irons I gamed prior. I think the grind/turf interaction on the pros is fantastic.

I also need to give kudos to the GP Align V-Cord grips. The align rib really helps me consistently set my grip. I have the aligns on most of my clubs now, sans wedges, hybrid and fw.

I don't have the data in front of me, I think I left it there because I can't find it anywhere. The launch angle was very close to my current setup and I was hitting the xstiff combos slightly higher as well. I want to say the angle was around 20 degrees and peak height was 30 yards. The descent angle was 50 and I was 48 or so with my old combo. They yardage gain was substantial for the carry distance and just a few more yards of roll out so I should be able to hold the greens.

With my current irons I get zero roll if I ever find the green in regulation, lol. I went into this with an open mind but I was thinking I was going to need to step down to a regular flex or even try some graphite options. My driver fitting earlier this year was very similar as well. Thought I would need regular flex and ended up in a heavier stiffer shaft than I ever thought I would need. Such a personal game and so many quirks in individuals swings to make things different.

Oh I agree haha. I’m not a super faster or aggressive swinger but I tend to do better with a heavier driver shaft in the 70 range

A few people have asked how the Smoke finish is holding up so here are some updates pictures. I’ve had these since last April/Early May. I’ve put a couple of ranges sessions, but 90% of the use has been on the course and I’d say they have about 20 rounds or so on them.

I tired to limit the glare to a show how the finish is holding up and hopefully it comes across. You can tell these have been used but honestly they aren’t wearing as fast as I thought they might.

586bc39a8009df76e72aa01024347413.jpg

b9328d8d802030687b0a663cdb17ee6d.jpg

c1c1752f52bbd4f05763829b54826729.jpg

3d758d92ef63491d77db83cf0eb0d757.jpg

A few people have asked how the Smoke finish is holding up so here are some updates pictures. I’ve had these since last April/Early May. I’ve put a couple of ranges sessions, but 90% of the use has been on the course and I’d say they have about 20 rounds or so on them.

I tired to limit the glare to a show how the finish is holding up and hopefully it comes across. You can tell these have been used but honestly they aren’t wearing as fast as I thought they might.

Got any pictures of the face? Curious to see the wear there.

Got any pictures of the face? Curious to see the wear there.

I'll try to snap a couple later, but it's what you would expect. honestly hitting balls (range or on the course) the face is not something that will really bug me. I've put some heavy use into my 5-7 and 9 from the pros..i'll get those up.

Finally got my irons in to check lofts. Of course I didn’t even asked about the lie angles, but I haven’t noticed anything weird there. I was having some weird gapping in the 6-8 iron. Sure enough 6 was 2* strong and the 8 was about 1 strong.

The 4 was strong too By a degree. Had them put back to standard. Woo hoo!

Next I just need to look into maybe a shaft change.

holy hell did i have fun with these irons today. point and shoot until i got tired and made some loose swings. with the erc soft these irons are going SO HIGH. and the lie/loft adjustment has given me supreme confidence. i had a mind to sell these irons before the gd to free up some hideaway pro shop funds, but doggone i’m not sure how i could get anything better than these are for me???

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Gosh those are just dang sexy! Still rocking my standard Apex, really love the feel the distance that I get, dispersion is nut on. I have a set of pros in my closet and they have yet to make it out to course.
ef1ab0b861f63f2aa51218d17a606bf8.jpg

Hit the Apex Pros today in a fitting. We changed the shaft to a Nippon Modus and with the Pro head bent to my current loft and lie specs I picked up 5-7 yards of carry. That was nice, but the new set with different shafts for $1,800 was not a nice surprise. I like these clubs but I don't know that they are worth that....at this time

Well I am back to Callaway irons. I played the CF 16 for years and switched to TM p790 for past 6 months., while these irons are very good, the CF 19's are easier to hit, more solid feeling and mishits go further. I had the recoil 95 shafts in F3 with p 790's and they felt heavy and stiff. The Elevate reg steel shafts feel lively and lighter and easier to swing imho. I am getting more distance with the CF 19's. Balls just explode off the face on well struck shots with these irons.

Glad I am back to Callaway irons.

Back