Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I checked my lofts and lie while at HQ this weekend and for the most part I'd say things were fairly good. We had 3 of my 6 that were spot on and had to do some minor tweaking on the other 3. Nothing too crazy, but I feel better about it. I also thought I hit my irons OK during the round on Saturday. I don't know when my next round will be, but I look forward to seeing how things go from here.

First post in lord knows how long. Hit the Apex and 785 7 irons beside my Ping G, at GolfTown yesterday. Wish they had 585s in hand, and the 785 was a stiffer shaft than I'd use to be fair. Definitely had less than my B swing, but anyways on good shots the Apex was way outperforming the other 2 - I'm lower swing speed, can use a little distance help. I hit a couple way out toe side that ended up with really respectable results, at least on the sim. Decent swings were right down the center line and felt great, spin was very comparable to the G's, avg 6400 I think. I've never been much of a feel/sound guy, but too much internet reading makes me go UGH when the Ping goes CLACK :p Pondering.

I had my first true iron fitting on Friday. After several models and several shaft combos, this is the result.

Final Specs:
Callaway 2019 Apex Irons 5 – PW
2 Degrees Flat
1” over length
Shaft: Project X Catalyst 60 Shaft
Grip: MCC +4 Grey

The order was placed on Friday afternoon and I can't wait for them to get here !!

It's been a while since my last post but thought I'd give a short update on how I'm getting along with the APEX combos.

First of all my game has improved by miles since switching to these irons. My handicap has dropped from 7.9 (EGA) to 6.2 (EGA) since the start of the season and I feel that this has been a result of not only the incredible performance of the APEX combo irons but also the added forgiveness these have given me. For the first time in years I'm confident to just set myself up the the ball and strike without having to be scared s**tless about not getting perfect contact.

The APEX Pros on the short end are pure gold but the biggest surprise for me is the non-pro 4i. I'm able to fly it 210-215 yards with amazing accuracy and due to this I'm finding myself reaching out for it way more often than I thought I would. Switching to these irons has been one of the best decisions I've made in a long time :in-love:

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Confidence on choosing the right distances for these clubs have finally set in! Said it before but for the longest time 8i was my 140 club, and it's now the 155 club with 7i being my 170 club. Gapping has been pretty consistent for me too.

One hole came to mind that made me really appreciate and understand my clubs and shafts better. Played Links at Lighthouse Sound last week, located just outside of Ocean City, MD. Hole 5 is a straight par 3, today it played around 155 from the Blues. From the picture below you can see forced carry over marsh with the Bay between us and OCMD on the right. It can be a very intimidating hole and today it was especially windy, coming from the left and a little in our face (great!!). There is what I would call some bail out room short and to the left of the green along with a pot bunker right in front of the green that can't be seen in the pic. I aimed left of the green, knowing if the ball goes exactly in that spot, I am safe and still in position for par or bogey at worse, plus the wind should take it right. I really like the high ball flight from these shafts, so I clubbed up twice to a 6i and absolutely pured a 6i that started direction into the center of that bail area, then had a beautiful fade back towards the green, landing just short and rolling down the front a little in the rough. Put a huge smile on my face that I was able to analyst the distance, wind and being confident enough with my irons that I could go up 2 clubs and not think I would overshoot the green.

I have noticed that while my natural flight for the 5-7i is a slight fade, the 8-pw are all drawing a little and messed me up a few holes because I aimed left. Distance was perfect for all them, I believe one or two of the shots were from the rough too, so perhaps the clubhead closed a bit more too. Something I need to be more aware of. I have always been able to draw short irons on the range, but never had the confidence to really own the shot on the course when I usually am missing shots to the right of the green. Will attempt to focus more on that next time out.

0ffb39b07b0403d5e4e8ef56fc68e9ed.jpg

First post in lord knows how long. Hit the Apex and 785 7 irons beside my Ping G, at GolfTown yesterday. Wish they had 585s in hand, and the 785 was a stiffer shaft than I'd use to be fair. Definitely had less than my B swing, but anyways on good shots the Apex was way outperforming the other 2 - I'm lower swing speed, can use a little distance help. I hit a couple way out toe side that ended up with really respectable results, at least on the sim. Decent swings were right down the center line and felt great, spin was very comparable to the G's, avg 6400 I think. I've never been much of a feel/sound guy, but too much internet reading makes me go UGH when the Ping goes CLACK Pondering.
I thinks these Apex are hands down the best performing irons! I have never loved a set of irons so much! I was telling the guys I was playing with in men's league tonight that this is the first time in years I don't want new clubs. Prior to this bag I could buy a club and then continue looking for a different one. Now, it's just of no interest of to me!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So took my irons to the shop to get bent to my new specs and man, it was crazy to see how off my current irons were from stock spec. My irons were bought stock everything beginning of the year and all irons were 1.5-2* weak in loft and 1* flat from STD.

So took my irons to the shop to get bent to my new specs and man, it was crazy to see how off my current irons were from stock spec. My irons were bought stock everything beginning of the year and all irons were 1.5-2* weak in loft and 1* flat from STD.

Dang Alez! Now you got me worrying! Where did you take them?
Greg

Dang Alez! Now you got me worrying! Where did you take them?
Greg

If you notice in the thread I hate on my AW and PW and those were both 2* weak and 1* flat. Make sense why yardages weren’t adding up.

I took them to hector at The Mart in Mission Valley. Good kid and used the manual Mitchell machine so calibration wasn’t an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine were off from the start and lofts were weak by a couple of degrees, but lie angles were correct at 1* up

Woof that's way off

Yikes....that seems way off.

Woof that's way off

Yeah I was pretty surprised and to be honest if I hadn’t just had my fitting I would have never even checked. I understand a degree off on lie angle due to machine variance but the lofts being off is just tough to understand

Yeah I was pretty surprised and to be honest if I hadn’t just had my fitting I would have never even checked. I understand a degree off on lie angle due to machine variance but the lofts being off is just tough to understand
Yeah and machine tolerances shouldn't be near 2° imo that's a big miss

Yeah and machine tolerances shouldn't be near 2° imo that's a big miss

I’ll definitely check my new set when they come in from True Temper.

We both like Callaway, no shame in being self admitted homers, except the ChromeSoft, I’m off that.

Objectively, isn’t this a bit excessive with how many of us had our lofts off? With multiple clubs? Sure a few had their specs to perfection, but this is just a bad look.

Simple fix. Just saying.

We both like Callaway, no shame in being self admitted homers, except the ChromeSoft, I’m off that.

Objectively, isn’t this a bit excessive with how many of us had our lofts off? With multiple clubs? Sure a few had their specs to perfection, but this is just a bad look.

Simple fix. Just saying.

Like I said, I get the lie angle variance - or + and degree either way but the 1.5-2* loft is troubling. I’m very careful to not hit off mats either so I can’t attribute that to the variance. I agree it’s a bit troubling.

Alright let's get back to the positivity of these golf clubs. Notably yesterday.

Hole 1. 172 in the middle of the fairway. Thinned 7iron. I was like "not today." I landed in some thicker grass near the bunker, chipped up and made Par.
Hole 2. 141 to a front pin. Grabbed 9iron and landed 15 feet right of the flag. Relaxed swing.
Hole 3. 145 middle of the fairway. 9iron thinned. Landed on the green but rolled off the back. Chipped up. Made Par.
Hole 4. Par 3 166 middle pin. I hit 7iron here Sunday and went long/left, more of a pull. I opted for 8iron. Safely below the hole about 20 feet for birdie.
Hole 5. 115 tailwind middle of the fairway Par 5 Middle Pin. Tried talking myself into the MD4 54* but went with the AW instead. Landed back of the green.
Hole 6. 157 right side of the fairway to a front Pin. 8iron. Didn't catch it all that well, bottom grooves. Landed 3 feet short of the green.
Hole 7. MD4 Wedge.
Hole 8. Par 3 167. Opted for 7iron and just a poor/fat swing into the left bunker.
Hole 9. 125 out from right rough. 9iron thinned/sliced OB. Asked for another golf ball to try that shot again and aimed left part of the green and landed 40 feet left of the green, ugh player 2 is always better, and learns.

The important of finding the short grass obviously. Didn't get to hit any 5,6 or PW during this 9 but that's ok!

Alright let's get back to the positivity of these golf clubs. Notably yesterday.

Hole 1. 172 in the middle of the fairway. Thinned 7iron. I was like "not today." I landed in some thicker grass near the bunker, chipped up and made Par.
Hole 2. 141 to a front pin. Grabbed 9iron and landed 15 feet right of the flag. Relaxed swing.
Hole 3. 145 middle of the fairway. 9iron thinned. Landed on the green but rolled off the back. Chipped up. Made Par.
Hole 4. Par 3 166 middle pin. I hit 7iron here Sunday and went long/left, more of a pull. I opted for 8iron. Safely below the hole about 20 feet for birdie.
Hole 5. 115 tailwind middle of the fairway Par 5 Middle Pin. Tried talking myself into the MD4 54* but went with the AW instead. Landed back of the green.
Hole 6. 157 right side of the fairway to a front Pin. 8iron. Didn't catch it all that well, bottom grooves. Landed 3 feet short of the green.
Hole 7. MD4 Wedge.
Hole 8. Par 3 167. Opted for 7iron and just a poor/fat swing into the left bunker.
Hole 9. 125 out from right rough. 9iron thinned/sliced OB. Asked for another golf ball to try that shot again and aimed left part of the green and landed 40 feet left of the green, ugh player 2 is always better, and learns.

The important of finding the short grass obviously. Didn't get to hit any 5,6 or PW during this 9 but that's ok!

Any issues with the Apex holding greens? Do they give you enough spin?

No issues holding greens. The greens were punched about a month ago and they are rolling great as well as look great. It wasn't stick & stop like this course usually is, they released 7-8 feet past the divot but still safely on the green on the 3 that I did hit. Unfortunate to not hit more greens since my ball striking was good but still happy.

No issues holding greens. The greens were punched about a month ago and they are rolling great as well as look great. It wasn't stick & stop like this course usually is, they released 7-8 feet past the divot but still safely on the green on the 3 that I did hit. Unfortunate to not hit more greens since my ball striking was good but still happy.

Thanks, these have me really interested. The ones I have hit so far have felt really good and held well.

no sir. i’m spinning mid irons BACK with the erc soft.

i could definitely see you in these, maybe a combo set, but don’t sleep on the epic forged. with the right fitting they could be a game changer for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

for me, it's only on courses that have super firm greens. But having played that course for a good chunk of my life, I know that has been the case with whatever irons I have. Just on certain holes I know when to expect a firm first bounce and adjust accordingly. Overall though, I believe I am having more success in holding greens that I did with the CF16.

for me, it's only on courses that have super firm greens. But having played that course for a good chunk of my life, I know that has been the case with whatever irons I have. Just on certain holes I know when to expect a firm first bounce and adjust accordingly. Overall though, I believe I am having more success in holding greens that I did with the CF16.

Its always an interesting conversation to me. Because looking at the CF16s, they were fairly low spin, with the 7 iron spinning around 4-5k for many golfers (based on forum posts). Traditional sets would be closer to 6-7k for the same iron. Yet its not as if with traditional sets 5 irons were bounding off of the greens.

To me this conversation is more about club fitting and angle than it is about spin, as it is clear that many were hitting them low, right?

no sir. i’m spinning mid irons BACK with the erc soft.

i could definitely see you in these, maybe a combo set, but don’t sleep on the epic forged. with the right fitting they could be a game changer for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They will be top of the list #'s 1 and 2

Back