Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

PapaJohick;n8879968 said:
For sure work on that hipping ;)

Hip check mid-swing. Got it.

Will be working a lot on the short game this week.

PapaJohick;n8879968 said:
For sure work on that hipping ;)

Ha!!! Well, hip checks could help.

I'm in hard iron ponder, and have hit these as part of the process. Loved them. Some serious competition out there too!, but the Cally non pro 7 was 8-10y longer than what else I've hit so far, and felt great. I need to hit them again, I've made a swing change for the better. I think the head shape would work well for my new swing theory follow, throwing a stick with a weight on the end as fast as I can into the ground a foot past the ball. Adjust everything else - path, grip, ball position, aim point for different clubs - on the fly for each shot by doing short 3-9 drill.

CPO is now loaded up with all kinds of sets of these CF19's>> Forged, Pro, Combo's, Smoke, Smoke Combo, and LH too. :act-up:

Kenomikes;n8881570 said:
CPO is now loaded up with all kinds of sets of these CF19's>> Forged, Pro, Combo's, Smoke, Smoke Combo, and LH too. :act-up:

If I wasn't going in December I would be all over a set of these!!!!

Snickerdog;n8881589 said:
If I wasn't going in December I would be all over a set of these!!!!

Same here. It's been really hard not to pull the trigger already.

Kenomikes;n8881570 said:

ohh my theyve been added on? I hope they have a single iron gap wedge on there :)

off to look!

I'm not even going to go over there and look for a set of Smoke Pro 19s. Noooope.

I'm pondering hard on a combo set. That's what I was originally fit for but they weren't quite ready at the time. I could certainly use the extra forgiveness lately. Decisions decisions.

I have a regular set with black elevate shafts, a smoke set, and a Stroke Lab putter sitting in my cart... CPO, man...

JMB3;n8881736 said:
I have a regular set with black elevate shafts, a smoke set, and a Stroke Lab putter sitting in my cart... CPO, man...

Welp, with CPO's buy-back protection, I couldn't NOT pull the trigger... 5-AW en route for some testing. If I don't love them, I'm sure I'll find something else to buy with the credit.

These are back in my bag for the time being. Only adjustment I made was pulling the GW in favor of the CBX 2 because I enjoy the versatility. Just love what I get out of the Apex in terms of ball flight and forgiveness.

I do NOT need a 5-PW Pro Combo set. I do NOT need a 5-PW Pro Combo set. I do NOT need a 5-PW Pro Combo set. I do NOT need a 5-PW Pro Combo set.....

got out yesterday for the first time in what seems like a month (more like 2 weeks i think?) Lots of things that i was not doing well, but a few constants that I wanted to mention:

1) The Apex pros are just fun and lovely to hit. Ive always love the more bladed or players CB type style and these have me not missing those irons at all haha (poor Fg 100s in the garage just sitting there).

2) The Apex 4 iron (non pro) just feels awful to me. Im not a fan. Also, it is very low spinning and with my swing style/speed, I cant elevate it well enough nor get it to stop. Basically I have been using it for low punches either to get back in play, hook it around corners, or on par 5 where the 3 wood would be disastrous. I did try to use it once or twice yesterday on a longer par 4/mis hit drives and while I was surprised with the distance, again, its not really useable for me in the way i need it to be. I am probably going to try and call callaway pre-owned to see if maybe i can trade the 4 iron for a GW? who knows.

With that thought, I am in the market for basically an iron replacement there at that 21/22* spot for shots 190ish that will at least get enough height/descent to stop somewhat realistically on a green. Again, I suffer from a downward attack angle/low launch/medium ish spin.... not sure what to look for there haha.

PapaJohick;n8882843 said:
got out yesterday for the first time in what seems like a month (more like 2 weeks i think?) Lots of things that i was not doing well, but a few constants that I wanted to mention:

1) The Apex pros are just fun and lovely to hit. Ive always love the more bladed or players CB type style and these have me not missing those irons at all haha (poor Fg 100s in the garage just sitting there).

2) The Apex 4 iron (non pro) just feels awful to me. Im not a fan. Also, it is very low spinning and with my swing style/speed, I cant elevate it well enough nor get it to stop. Basically I have been using it for low punches either to get back in play, hook it around corners, or on par 5 where the 3 wood would be disastrous. I did try to use it once or twice yesterday on a longer par 4/mis hit drives and while I was surprised with the distance, again, its not really useable for me in the way i need it to be. I am probably going to try and call callaway pre-owned to see if maybe i can trade the 4 iron for a GW? who knows.

With that thought, I am in the market for basically an iron replacement there at that 21/22* spot for shots 190ish that will at least get enough height/descent to stop somewhat realistically on a green. Again, I suffer from a downward attack angle/low launch/medium ish spin.... not sure what to look for there haha.

I agree with your thoughts 100%. The Pros basically take everything I love about a compact forged iron and just add speed. The feel in the long irons isn't quite that solid forged feel, but its still tight, precise and consistent.
I'm not a fan of the regular Apex feel or flight at all, and in fairness I'm not the type of golfer that it's built for anyway. Low, long, and too strong.

PapaJohick;n8882843 said:

Get on CPO and get a Epic 7W. It is what I replaced my 4 iron with and I have no issues at all getting it air born or having it stop on green. Distance wise I am somewhat similar to you.

Snickerdog;n8882897 said:
Get on CPO and get a Epic 7W. It is what I replaced my 4 iron with and I have no issues at all getting it air born or having it stop on green. Distance wise I am somewhat similar to you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll take a look over there.

I love the 7-4 just as much as the AW-8 in my combo set. I've hit some tremendous shots with the longer irons, moreso than any long irons in any previously owned set.

mbenro;n8884141 said:
I love the 7-4 just as much as the AW-8 in my combo set. I've hit some tremendous shots with the longer irons, moreso than any long irons in any previously owned set.

That is awesome. I only play from 7-PW, but love them. I’m a straight Apex guy over the Pros, but hit both. What made you go combo set?

JB;n8884143 said:
That is awesome. I only play from 7-PW, but love them. I’m a straight Apex guy over the Pros, but hit both. What made you go combo set?

I just felt I needed something a little more forgiving in the longer irons with minimal offset, but still looked damn good from the top, and this set has really delivered. I've been playing them since mid-May and the anticipation of hitting a new set of irons is still fresh, love it.

Hi, new to this thread due to searching for a new iron set. Tested several and endid up with the apex pro cf19 as best performance and best feel. When trying on course (only 7i) I got very good length consistency - never more than 2m difference. I hit 5 balls at a time, from peg and fairway. Really pleased with the results.

I tried some shaft options and got best results with the Elevate 95 regular. Here I am a bit puzzled. According to reviews the Elevate 95 regular if for slower swing speed. With 7i my swingspeed is ~84mph with a carry of ~165yards, according to trackman. The ball flight is has a good penetrating flight - no balloning, so I guess it work with my swing which is rather smooth.

Reading a bit about graphite shaft, the Catalyst 100. And my questions is how is the Elevate 95 regular compared to the Catalyst 100 stiff? I am most interested in consistent carry distance and the subject matter feel.

HGoldwin;n8884565 said:
Hi, new to this thread due to searching for a new iron set. Tested several and endid up with the apex pro cf19 as best performance and best feel. When trying on course (only 7i) I got very good length consistency - never more than 2m difference. I hit 5 balls at a time, from peg and fairway. Really pleased with the results.

I tried some shaft options and got best results with the Elevate 95 regular. Here I am a bit puzzled. According to reviews the Elevate 95 regular if for slower swing speed. With 7i my swingspeed is ~84mph with a carry of ~165yards, according to trackman. The ball flight is has a good penetrating flight - no balloning, so I guess it work with my swing which is rather smooth.

Reading a bit about graphite shaft, the Catalyst 100. And my questions is how is the Elevate 95 regular compared to the Catalyst 100 stiff? I am most interested in consistent carry distance and the subject matter feel.

Curious why comparing regular to stiff and not flex to flex?

My swing has been a work in progress, but after this last session I think I've found myself again. Strengthened my grip and changed my path a bit with a better transition through the ball and it seems to have unlocked another gear in these irons.
I went in to my local Edwin Watts to get on the GC2 (without HMT) and see if what I was seeing visually was real. I'd been fighting a low duck hook which was a combination of grip, getting too quick and a bit of timing error. My first few swings were pulls but we're high launching and long...for me. The new swing had my carry increasing by 5-8yds. I stayed in the sim for about 30 mins working on timing and soon I was hitting the longest consistent 7i's I've ever hit. Longest carried 177ish rolling out to 185. Averaging about 181 though and straight or slightly drawing. Feel on these irons felt even better than I previously had experience. I hope I can make it stick.
In a nutshell, the more I play these, the more I love these. They're growing with me. Hoping to take this new change to the course and see some lower scores.

Back