Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

Small range session today with 8,9,PW, and AW. Last round out pretty much all my short irons missed left, which is fine except I aimed left center of green each time. Today was more of seeing if I can work on drawing the ball when I want, and for the most part it was pretty successful. I feel comfortable enough to aim right center next round out, depending on where trouble is of course.

Near the end of the basket I had a handful of balls left and decided to see how much I could hook the ball out of curiosity. Range is downhill and can sometimes be quite windy, so I really like to focus on good contact and ball flight along with repeatability. After many very successful attempts, I would like to report my 8 and 9 irons can both hook 30+ yards and still land around the intended target. Not sure I will ever be daring enough to try what I would call a "bubba hook", but it sure was fun watching them turn and land somewhat close.

JB;n8884587 said:
Curious why comparing regular to stiff and not flex to flex?

Two reasons:
  1. Incompetence :). I don't know which graphite shaft to compare against and guessing that the catalyst stiff would be equal to the elevate regular. My current shaft from Ping is steel regular and my former shaft was graphite stiff.
  2. Sale, sale , sale. I have tried Apex pro with Elevate 95 regular and I found apex pro with Catalyst 100 on sale.

HGoldwin;n8886573 said:
Two reasons:
  1. Incompetence :). I don't know which graphite shaft to compare against and guessing that the catalyst stiff would be equal to the elevate regular. My current shaft from Ping is steel regular and my former shaft was graphite stiff.
  2. Sale, sale , sale. I have tried Apex pro with Elevate 95 regular and I found apex pro with Catalyst 100 on sale.

so that was somewhat of the case for some graphite shafts but now with the materials being so much better, Graphite iron shafts can be just as stable and suitable for all swings. Since the elevate 95 is a lighter and higher launching/spinning shaft, the catalyst 100 in stiff is going to feel and perform like a stiff shaft. It should flight a little flatter, with less spin i believe, but if you need a regular, the cat 100 will feel stout.

with that said.... I want to put the 100s in my apex pros badly haha

ArmyGolf;n8882100 said:
Looking forward to your reviews.

LOL. The shaft selection made it easier to resist...

You'd have a much easier time proving to me that South Dakota has a year round golf season than proving to me that these aren't the best irons on the planet.

From the look, to the launch, feel and performance, these are hands down the best irons I've ever gamed. After nine months, they still give me that "wow" feeling just like the first time I hit them. Consistently fun and forgiving.

- This post is dedicated to my brother @KEV

dacatalyst41;n8887819 said:
You'd have a much easier time proving to me that South Dakota has a year round golf season than proving to me that these aren't the best irons on the planet.

From the look, to the launch, feel and performance, these are hands down the best irons I've ever gamed. After nine months, they still give me that "wow" feeling just like the first time I hit them. Consistently fun and forgiving.

- This post is dedicated to my brother @KEV

You need to get those Steelfibers moved out for some Recoils before DannyLe disowns you.

mikeg_74;n8887834 said:
You need to get those Steelfibers moved out for some Recoils before DannyLe disowns you.
I'm trying! Haha!

Ordered, 5-AW 1 up, Recoil R. I was just flag hunting them on Trackman, with ~63-6400 spin and good angles. 145-150 carry at 75-78SS, which is a new game for me about +10 even +15 carry from my prior G's, but also with some swing improvements so 8-10 is realistic.

Hit the 585, very sweet but not as forgiving for me. i210 I hit really well, felt good (had i20s), but the Apex was a clear winner for dispersion and distance, no contest.. Briefly talked combo, I don't really practice or even play enough to stay super grooved, so stayed with the straight set.

League season over I finally pulled out my Apex Pro's 19 8-GW and put them into play Thursday night along with my 6-7 std Apex 19 Whole different ball game their, the footprint is just so small, I caught a lot of shots on the toe, trying to set up like my standard. They also feel just slightly lighter. The top line look is just tremendous. Think a little more time with them will be throwing darts. Great to have 2 sets to play around with. My 2 sets match up because I d-lofted my standard Apex -3* loft to get them in more comfortable numbers

So disappointed right now. Custom fitted the Apex pro with Elevate 95 regular shaft. Tested on the course. Tested with the club pro. Everything was fine...until my club should order. Apex pro can't be fitted with Elevate 95:(.

So now I must start the process again to find a suitable shaft. The Elevate 95 is a lightweight shaft(96gr), mid to high flight. Suitable for my moderate swing tempo. Swing speed with i7 ~80mph and ball speed ~110mph.

Any suggestions of a similar shaft that fits with Apex pro (tapered tip.355)?

Officially have this 3/4 shot with my AW nailed. Used it a few times and just have a lot of confidence when there is plenty of room in front of the green to get the ball rolling after it lands. Had some great shots out of the rough with a knockdown 5-7 iron too and really think I should try these shots off the tee on a par 3 in the future. All my irons were either straight or turned a little right.

I mentioned previously about thinking about getting the lofts and lies checked. Curiosity is getting me more now and found a place that does it quick and reasonably priced so most likely gonna stop in and see what's the turnaround time. Mainly just curious how they are right now, but if I end up playing next week and they need to get adjusted, be a fun comparison.

I sold two iron sets (the blade experiment was fun, but is mercifully over :angel:) and picked up the Apex 19s with my old shafts (TT XP95 S300s). Looking forward to taking them out to a course that I've played recently for comparison. The 4i, 7i, and PW felt good at the range.

HGoldwin;n8889937 said:
So disappointed right now. Custom fitted the Apex pro with Elevate 95 regular shaft. Tested on the course. Tested with the club pro. Everything was fine...until my club should order. Apex pro can't be fitted with Elevate 95:(.

So now I must start the process again to find a suitable shaft. The Elevate 95 is a lightweight shaft(96gr), mid to high flight. Suitable for my moderate swing tempo. Swing speed with i7 ~80mph and ball speed ~110mph.

Any suggestions of a similar shaft that fits with Apex pro (tapered tip.355)?

True Temper XP 95 Tapered: https://www.truetemper.com/products/xp-95/

Weight: 93g
Tip: .355 in.
Launch: High

JMB3;n8896864 said:
My set was delivered yesterday. Talk about a weekend: San Diego trip, new irons, and the M'Fing Grandaddy!

Yeah, that is a weekend to remember, ridiculous actually. You're gonna love those irons. Don't know what set you bought, I have the combo and the transition from the 8i to 7i is smooth. The launch on the 7-4i is unbelievable, hit a 6i into a 185 yd par three yesterday and the elevation was just fun to watch, took a nice bounce left to within 18 inches....dammit almost my first ace!!

damn i had some fun with these irons over the weekend playing with my son. one shot in particular stands out. i was in the first cut of rough, and hit 8i into the breeze. i misjudged how much breeze was there and came up short, but it looked and felt glorious off the face. i'm gaming the cf19 forged, but they still feel so freaking good.

McLovin;n8897779 said:
damn i had some fun with these irons over the weekend playing with my son. one shot in particular stands out. i was in the first cut of rough, and hit 8i into the breeze. i misjudged how much breeze was there and came up short, but it looked and felt glorious off the face. i'm gaming the cf19 forged, but they still feel so freaking good.

That's so funny, what I thought was going to be my shot of the day yesterday was an 8i into the breeze, I was posing and everything. 160 with a lot of downhill into a stiff breeze, flag all the way in the back. Picked 8i so it would cover the middle of the green but not go over the back. Asked for it to be right and it didn't even reach the bunker in front of the green.

I've got Recoil 110s inbound to give my joints some relief. We'll see how they do in the Pros.

Greg Kulbick;n8897846 said:
That's so funny, what I thought was going to be my shot of the day yesterday was an 8i into the breeze, I was posing and everything. 160 with a lot of downhill into a stiff breeze, flag all the way in the back. Picked 8i so it would cover the middle of the green but not go over the back. Asked for it to be right and it didn't even reach the bunker in front of the green.

I've got Recoil 110s inbound to give my joints some relief. We'll see how they do in the Pros.

mine was like 165 iirc. i thought it was all over it. i was TOTALLY posing. ...then it came up like 2 clubs short haha.

brianmk24;n8896854 said:
I sold two iron sets (the blade experiment was fun, but is mercifully over :angel:) and picked up the Apex 19s with my old shafts (TT XP95 S300s). Looking forward to taking them out to a course that I've played recently for comparison. The 4i, 7i, and PW felt good at the range.

Nice! Looking forward to reading your feedback soon.

Mine will land this week.

More feedback (MOAR!), how are they doing now you've got most of a season with them? Standard CF19 mainly, better yet w Recoils as that's what I have coming.

I know I can sound like a broken record, but these irons are absolutely the best I have ever played and I have played a lot of brands and models! The consistency is incredible as I know exactly what these irons are going to deliver whether it is a full swing, a 3/4 swing or choking down on it. I've never had so many kick in birdies with a set of irons before.

JMB3;n8898340 said:
Few things as satisfying as unboxing a new set of forged irons...

The black shafts look sweet. Let us know what you think once you get them out on the course

Back