Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

I’ve been selected to test these and they are on the way! I will say I am not a fan of the lines. However I wasn’t a fan of the Truvis when they came out and that’s all I mainly play now! I’m looking forward to seeing how these feel off of the EXO insert face. I just thought it felt to hard compared to the OG microhinge and my Toulons. Hoping this feels a bit softer cause I’m drooling over the Double Wide Stroke Lab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man I'd have to try it. Paying $40 for a non-urethane cover ball seems steep to me. I know Titleist has done that for years (at $35), but just seems like a tough pill to swallow for me personally. All that being said, the feedback has been pretty positive.
You’re not alone in that line of thought. But, as you said, feedback has been positive so I’ll for sure try a sleeve at some point.
Something to keep in mind as well and I know it's been said but it's a hybrid cover so just bc it's not full urethane and counting it out is doing yourself a disservice because I played it at #TheGrandaddy and didn't really lose any action around the greens. It's a great ball from tee to green.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Something to keep in mind as well and I know it's been said but it's a hybrid cover so just bc it's not full urethane and counting it out is doing yourself a disservice because I played it at #TheGrandaddy and didn't really lose any action around the greens. It's a great ball from tee to green.

oh I don't doubt that. In fact, I think there are some really good balls out there that will work tee to green for players that get lost in the shuffle because of price. Be it too high or too low(which is kind of funny think right?).

oh I don't doubt that. In fact, I think there are some really good balls out there that will work tee to green for players that get lost in the shuffle because of price. Be it too high or too low(which is kind of funny think right?).
I will be the first to say that I used to be a cheapskate when it came to golf balls but what I have learned over the last couple years and then sitting through the presentation at Callaway, and then seeing these balls in action, I'm ok with paying 39.99/dozen.

I will be the first to say that I used to be a cheapskate when it came to golf balls but what I have learned over the last couple years and then sitting through the presentation at Callaway, and then seeing these balls in action, I'm ok with paying 39.99/dozen.

and I think that is really cool. I've sat through a number of golf ball presentations and if one wants to really dive in to it, the education that can be found in those presentations can be crazy good and enlightening. I'm not trying to poke holes in this golf ball release, that is far from my mind. You guys have given plenty of great feedback on it and it peaks my interest enough to want to try a sleeve. But there is still some skepticism in my mind, but that could be easily changed after a trial.

and I think that is really cool. I've sat through a number of golf ball presentations and if one wants to really dive in to it, the education that can be found in those presentations can be crazy good and enlightening. I'm not trying to poke holes in this golf ball release, that is far from my mind. You guys have given plenty of great feedback on it and it peaks my interest enough to want to try a sleeve. But there is still some skepticism in my mind, but that could be easily changed after a trial.
Well as you state there is only one way to truly take what we are saying to truth and that's trial for yourself!

Well as you state there is only one way to truly take what we are saying to truth and that's trial for yourself!

absolutely.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this one. Given how high you hit the ball through the bag I think it would work well for you tee to green, so I think it would be up to green side performance.

I know some people who really really like the Chrome Soft who will be better served by this ball and love it if they give it a try. For me, I really enjoyed it but I'm going to have to wait until the summer to make any sort of call. My gut says I'll probably stick with the Chrome Soft just because I tend to waver between whether that or the Chrome Soft X is the best ball for me around the green, and this goes the other way in terms of spin. But I was intrigued with what I saw out there so it's going to be a really fun head-to-head.

I've never been a high spin player. Stop and drop is what I typically look for and can't remember the last time I ever backed up a ball more than a couple of inches. Even downwind PWs have stopped within a stride. Around the greens the only time I am looking to play a spinning shot is when I am short-sided and I have found I've been able to play that shot with this ERC and the PM 2.0 60°.

The cover and the new material blend play a role but the Graphene Dual SoftFast core also plays a role and really works well with the cover to enhance the playability throughout the course.

Sounds good to me! Thanks for the response! The more I've read this thread the more interested in playing this one. It's so hard to judge anything this time of year unless you live out west or south of Atlanta. My winter rounds here (NC Ohio) are generally played with elcheapo two piece distance balls since there is a good chance they'll be lost in the leaves or lost when they plug, and when they plug all balls give exactly the same rollout.

My home course only carries Callaway balls so I'm sure they'll have a sleeve I can snipe once conditions are ok for actual golf.

I didn’t play the AVX a lot but based on my memory of my time with it I’d say the ERC is easily longer. Action on approach shots is harder to assess. I think I got hop and stop type action from the AVX but am getting the ball next to the pitch mark or even 6” behind the pitch mark with the ERC. But it’s winter and the greens are soft now, too.

I am similar to you in terms of being frugal about golf balls. I looked and saw the AVX are listed at $46. There is zero chance I would spend more money on that ball when the ERC performs better for me and is $6 less.

Obviously at one point I was a big fan of the ProV1x. I think they changed it a version or three back so it no longer was my favorite, and for the price I don't even think of playing them anymore. I got a dozen AVX in a trade with someone here and they performed almost perfectly for my game. They were the longest premium ball I've ever played and remarkably straighter. Greenside control left a little to be desired, but all in all they were the best fit for me.

If the ERC are a little longer AND have more greenside control, they'll be my new favorite ball. Now I just have to find them at a price that will make them something I can play every day:) I'll be patient on that one, but will give them a good ol' roll in the hay as soon as the courses here play close to normal. Thanks!

I think once I can get my grubby mitts on one I'll have to do a head to head with the AVX and the CSx on the Sim. Should give me a really good idea of what it's all about. I should be able to tell from short iron/ wedge spin how it'll perform around the green. I'll report here on it once I can get some numbers.

I stated it here before but the more I read about it here, the more attractive it's become and it may be the best ball for my game.

I've never ruled out a ball for being priced too low FWIW. I once walked out of the local Dunhams with over 80 dozen Nike RZN Platinums (practice labeled) because they had them for $7.99 a dozen. You get some strange looks when you have a cart full of 80 dozen bulk packaged golf balls, but I smiled every time one of the kids or I laked one for over a year. They still have them last I was in but for 14.99 a dozen. Every time I go in there I have them check the price to make sure they don't ring the 7.99 a dozen. If they do it'll be a rinse and repeat, lol.

I'd have bought more but that's all they had.

Sorry for the hijack, I really am excited to try this ERC ball!

Cant get past the "Alignment Aids"...looks to cheapen the ball and doesnt scream $40/dozen...no thanks
I have seen some pretty crazy markings on ProV1s.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’ve not been one to line up putts using any alignment lines that come on the ball or that I may add. Those I use on the tee. However, given the science behind the three lines on the ERC I may just see if in fact they make a difference.

I’ve not been one to line up putts using any alignment lines that come on the ball or that I may add. Those I use on the tee. However, given the science behind the three lines on the ERC I may just see if in fact they make a difference.

I'm with you there. I find I spend more time worrying about having the line(s) lined up right then actually thinking about the putt. I'm more of a feel Putter anyways. I don't like seeing anything other than ball. I'll have to try it out on the practice green with the 3 lines, but I'm more interested in the lowered driver spin while still maintaining some semblance of control around the green aspect of the ball. By far.

I really think it's something you can get used to. The description of the air craft carrier and the lines for pilots to land really stuck with me. Maybe its bc I am in the Navy, but it makes sense on how your eyes focus. It pushes your eyes to the center line bc it gives you something to look between and with the middle line being a different color and thicker your eyes naturally pay closer attention to that line. I really enjoyed the lines the times I have played with the ball.

Too bad the ERC didn’t release, I would have had a HIO
ad88ce77e1bf9cce1136e3e15ee90f39.jpg

Is that a sand green? Nothing would release on that

Cap'n. First time I've ever had cause to question you but what in the exactly hell are you golfing on? I'm sure it's an ok golf course that's just offseason but allow me to State my case;

That looks like a course (in name only:)) that I took my kids to this last fall. It had closed for about 8 years before someone reopened it. I only played it once way back 20 + years ago and have some weird emotions about it. I won't mention its name as I don't want to speak ill of something or someone that doesn't have full rights to defend themselves.

Anyways, funny(ish) story. About once a year for the last 20 years I've had a dream about this course. Specifically a hole where it goes steeply downhill to a slight dogleg left with a chicken ? coop on the right and cliffs behind it. This hole is utter mental rubbish even though I've had a dream of it every year for 20 years. The hole I'm thinking of is actually a dogleg left with no chicken coup or nothing. You tee off from an elevated spot over a valley. The green is 330 away but the FW goes steeply down into a valley and if you want to hit the green it's 100% carry. No creek that I dreamed of and no ? coop.

Back to my point. My kids 100% agreed once we made it to the first green there that we could all putt but there would be a 2 stroke max once we hit the greens. We were out of HC season around here by then. They were worse than terrible. We've probably all played a course where the greens feel like you are walking in the top of a balloon? They need help by that point. Like 5 years before.

This course was 5 plus years beyond that. Those greens were the single worst greens I've ever been on. That includes the green I cut for my kids 4-5 years ago. Since then we bought the house right across the street. Anyways if you look at the current google earth photo there is not only a photo of this crappy green I cut into the earth but one of my boys is out practicing in it, lol.

Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

Cap'n. First time I've ever had cause to question you but what in the exactly hell are you golfing on? I'm sure it's an ok golf course that's just offseason but allow me to State my case
Funny and fair post.

Its Bandon Preserve, the 13 hole par 3 course. I’m here with a group of 50 guys, the afternoon par 3 was part of the event so we had to play it even if I’ve never seen it so sanded and punched. It was ridiculous.

Funny and fair post.

Its Bandon Preserve, the 13 hole par 3 course. I’m here with a group of 50 guys, the afternoon par 3 was part of the event so we had to play it even if I’ve never seen it so sanded and punched. It was ridiculous.

I'm glad you clarified that! When I first saw that pick I was wondering why you would fly into Dallas, play my home course and not let me know you were here! LOL

So I played this ball a lot this weekend. I like it a lot. Definitely appreciate the extra distance. It feels great off the putter. Playing on firm links greens I definitely got rollout on approach shots, but nothing so outrageous as to affect my game. I even switched to using the lines for alignment and it immediately helped my putting. I unfortunately just about ran through my supply...I’ll be buying more when they are available.

So I played this ball a lot this weekend. I like it a lot. Definitely appreciate the extra distance. It feels great off the putter. Playing on firm links greens I definitely got rollout on approach shots, but nothing so outrageous as to affect my game. I even switched to using the lines for alignment and it immediately helped my putting. I unfortunately just about ran through my supply...I’ll be buying more when they are available.

I definitely agree with you on everything! The rollout on full shots has actually been better than I expected and I have had even downwind PW's check up and be within a stride of my ball mark. On chips and pitches I've never been one to play those check and stop kind of shots but even then with the spin I get from the MD4 wedges and the PM 2.0 they must be compensating for the supposed lack of greenside spin of the ball because I have been more likely to come up short than have the ball run out.

I love these balls! I too will be grabbing a couple more dozen for this summer! Looking forward to seeing how it reacts in really warm weather.

I cannot wait to pick up some of these to try once the snow melts that is!

Back