Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

I used it on singles day. I'm stuck in a couple meetings, but will share my thoughts a bit later.

Pfffffft stupid meetings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's smart that left the alignment off half of the ball, as I prefer a blank ball when putting... that said, i would definitely deploy the aid off of the tee

While I'm not one to add alignment lines to my ball I don't think it would bother me to have it built in the way these balls do. I'd certainly be open to trying it and worst case if I don't like it to just set the ball up without them showing when putting. The harder part for me to swallow is going to be the price. Even though I love the Chrome Soft I've yet to pay full price for a dozen (and hence have never even played the 2018 version with Graphene). Add to the mix that there are other 3 piece urethane balls in the $30-$35/dozen range and this becomes a harder swallow.

I will likely find a way to try these out but it will be hard to keep them in my bag compared to some of the competition.

Not a fan of the triple track. I'll try a sleeve just to see how they feel though.

It's smart that left the alignment off half of the ball, as I prefer a blank ball when putting... that said, i would definitely deploy the aid off of the tee

It's a really cool way of doing it. I have played around with both having the alignment aid there and "invisible" and it's nice that you can have a really bold alignment aid (that I'm pretty sure works well from my experience - I might be a convert) if you want it, but for the people who don't like it it's super easy to make it seem like it's not there.

Interesting direction here. Not sure the $40 price point would pull me away from my Truvis, but I'm willing to give them a try. I like that you can still set the ball up with the alignment lines hidden.

I’m one that loved, the Original Chrome Soft...
So I’m super excited about this ball.

I played the ERC at a local course I play very often. 3W off the tee with this ball put me dangerously close to the water hazard, something that is normally not in play for me. At first i thought it was the 3W. But then I realized I hadn't reached that spot before with the Flash 3W. And that's when it dawned on me - it is the ERC. I had to make a mental note that I need less club with that ball on that hole next time.

So this will be a better ball than the Tour Soft at a slightly higher price based on the Construction alone. Graphine in the core, 3 piece and Hybrid Cover

That is one way to look at it but there are plenty of balls that sell for more than this that do not have close to the performance of this ball as well.

While I'm not one to add alignment lines to my ball I don't think it would bother me to have it built in the way these balls do. I'd certainly be open to trying it and worst case if I don't like it to just set the ball up without them showing when putting. The harder part for me to swallow is going to be the price. Even though I love the Chrome Soft I've yet to pay full price for a dozen (and hence have never even played the 2018 version with Graphene). Add to the mix that there are other 3 piece urethane balls in the $30-$35/dozen range and this becomes a harder swallow.

I will likely find a way to try these out but it will be hard to keep them in my bag compared to some of the competition.

I think just assuming any ball is better because it is Urethane would not be the best way to go about it.

These are certainly intriguing and I am sure I will give them a try at some point however there are some concerns for me. I love Chrome Soft balls but I am too cheap to pay $45 a box for them. At $40 a box for these, I would just buy Chrome Soft more often. I wish they had got the price point down to the $35 a box range and be more competitive with something like a Q-Star Tour. I will be curious to see how sales go on these just because of the price point.

There is other ways to look at it as well. Think more in the line of what balls will not perform as well as this and what they cost - then it seems like a great deal.
That's a valid point - - thanks for the explanation, Jason!

Definitely up for trying these out after finishing off my chrome softs. I'll still use supersofts through the winter, though.

I like the alignment aid I think they look cool.
I will try it but I like spin around the greens so it will probably not be for me but you never know

I understand they will be $39.99, so a little less expensive than the CS and CS-X.

oof

even with graphene, still an "iothane" with a divisive alignment for what I believe was the non-graphene CS pricepoint

I hope everyone takes the #ERCChallenge and tries a sleeve before passing final judgement. MMV, but I think many will be pleasantly surprised at how well this ball performs.

I do like the alignment aid

I use the alignment aid (my line or whatever's printed on the ball) on both the tee and green, so one that is more permanent than a Sharpie line and more 'line' than a partial arrow and some words is very intriguing to me. I wish every ball had a long line on one side.

I don’t mark my ball, so not sure about the alignment aid. Don’t like any lines when putting (would probably turn it to the white side. Great idea keeping one side clean). Rallo had a good point though, I could see myself using it off the tee. I’ll be grabbing some to try out.

I’m also a huge Truvis fan, but will be cool to compare the 2 (Chromesoft and the ERC).

I didn't put this in play at The Grandaddy, I wanted to save it for normal conditions at home this spring. My initial though is that it might be too low spinning off of irons for me since I'm already a very low spin player but after seeing the amount of spin from my new irons this may just work.

I'm not one that uses an alignment line but I am all in on it. I think it would be perfect for putts from 5 feet and in. Anything longer than that I would probably roll the ball over so I didn't see the lines but those I'm really excited to try it on those shorties. The 3 lines is so much easier to line up than just one line.

I can see how this release may be divisive. Personally, I welcome anything that helps me align better so the triple track is a +. Less spin isn’t ideal for me, and at a fairly premium price point that becomes more of a factor. But I am curious enough to try and get a sleeve or dozen to test out.

Since this is a hybrid cover, is this supposed to have same green side spin as a urethane cover or is meant to be between surlyn and urethane?

If the cover is below urethane that 39.99 price is steep I think

Since this is a hybrid cover, is this supposed to have same green side spin as a urethane cover or is meant to be between surlyn and urethane?

If the cover is below urethane that 39.99 price is steep I think

Performance is going to fall somewhere between an ionomer cover and urethane.

I had no issues with roll out though, and it performed far closer to what I’d expect from a urethane cover than a surlyn cover. Solid stopping power, just a little more roll out than the CS/CSX, much better than something like a super soft.

I feel like people are getting hung up on the 3 alignment aids.

This ball is about more distance off the tees (and for me irons) but with stopping power into the greens.

The ball is definitely longer for me than either of the CS balls but it spins less. I currently see the ball right next to the pitch mark or maybe 6" draw back. In the summer with firmer greens that probably equates to hop and stop action with the ball 3' or so past the pitch mark. The ERC is a great option for people who need a little help with distance and for whom drawing the ball back isn't hugely important.

I like the alignment aid I think they look cool.
I will try it but I like spin around the greens so it will probably not be for me but you never know

For me, the fact that I am getting so much more spin around the green with my new MD4 and PM 2.0 wedges using the CS, a little less spin from the ball itself is actually nice for me to have and easier to get used to the combo.

Back