Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

i'm going to pick up some chromesoft to put into play for the next few rounds, just to give that ball some time before the grandaddy. but i am so thrilled with the performance of erc soft. it's never a ball i would have tried for myself, but it's been damn near perfect for me. sure there have been times i hit a chip or pitch well, and saw it roll out a little more than i wanted, but i could have played a different shot or not flown it as far.

Went to the store last week and got another dozen of these, but went for yellow instead of white. It's a decade or two going back to when I was a kid since I've even tried yellow golf balls again, and after thinking about it a lot last year I finally decided to give it another go. Over the last two years I've gamed some sort of Truvis ball and really liked how they are easier to locate either in the trees or on the fairways and greens. Just one less thing to spend a few seconds on each hole, and since no one else I play with usually has a ball without TT or Truvis markings on them, or even colored, I will always know my ball.

Tried them out Friday night in the basement and instead of just working on putting and making sure my stroke was consistent, I took these balls and spent time aligning the TT tech with my target and really focusing on the look of the ball and getting my eyes used to a different color (silly, but that was the reason I always stayed away from it, again). Got over the color quickly, and had a great nice putting overall. The ball was consistently going over my target shot after shot from about 6-8 feet. I will add that my carpet has a little break in it, and I knew exactly how much to get it to roll over it directly in the center, but I still had to have it aligned right and hit my mark with a square face. I have 2 target cups and set them back and forth, so a few shots were left to right, followed by right to left, so there was some change each time.

Next up is a change to take them to an actual practice green and see how they perform on some grass, along with a little bit of chipping. Spring is just around the corner here and I am getting very eager to hit the links!!!

@BlueHen2006 i'm interested on your chipping/pitching feedback. I find these to release a little more than other premium balls. personally that works well for the kind of shot I prefer to play.

@BlueHen2006 i'm interested on your chipping/pitching feedback. I find these to release a little more than other premium balls. personally that works well for the kind of shot I prefer to play.

I remember that last year too and prefer a bit more roll with my chipping which led me to getting more of these. Happy to report back after giving them some shots!!

I have found the same thing, but.....with the Jaws 58° especially, not as much as the 54°, both that I recently picked up, I am getting a decent amount of spin and leaving a number of chips short with the ERC.

Played yesterday and became big fans of the yellow ERC. Idk if my putting was just on fire, or if the TTT worked that well but my putter saved me so many times and I can’t help but attribute that partly to the ball.

Off the tee and on approach shots i think I gained more distance but it was hard to tell because I was making pretty good contact but the course was soggy. I did feel like the ball rolled more on chips which I’m totally fine with since I’ve always prefer a little roll, and I noticed that more as the round progressed (aka greens dried up). Hopefully next time I can get a chance to compare this with the 2019 CS on the chipping green, assuming it’s not as crowded next time I’m there!

I’ve had a dozen of these in my closet for over a year. I’ve basically only played Srixon Q-Star Tours all year. I figured we would give these a try. The couple times I’ve used the triple track tech, I have really liked it.

I picked up a dozen yesterday and will give them another shot on Sunday. Last time I tried these there wasn't enough spin around the green but that was also with different clubs.

According to one source, the ERC soft is the best ball for winter:

I wasn’t wowed by this ball today! I thought it would be very comparable to my gamer, Q-Star Tour. It did not feel as soft as the Srixon and I didn’t see a lot of spin either. The one bright side was the Triple Track alignment aid! It really makes lining up your put so much easier and consistent. I don’t think I would play it again in the future.

I wasn’t wowed by this ball today! I thought it would be very comparable to my gamer, Q-Star Tour. It did not feel as soft as the Srixon and I didn’t see a lot of spin either. The one bright side was the Triple Track alignment aid! It really makes lining up your put so much easier and consistent. I don’t think I would play it again in the future.

i would agree it lacks some greenside spin. but the high launch and extra distance was really impressive for me. and tt is the best invention ever.

I'm going to give it a run tomorrow and see what happens. 9 with this ball and 9 with Srixon soft feel.

i played an impromptu round yesterday and lost a csx20tt on the 8th hole. i wasn’t sure if i wanted to lose more since there are supply issues so i grabbed a shag ball and it happened to be a gently used erc soft. from the very first shot i was reminded why i loved this ball. high launch, soft feel, and tons of distance. but i found i was flying my target and the window was higher than i expected, so i went back to csx20tt. i could see myself going back to the erc soft though. less $$$ and a really good ball. hmmm

i played an impromptu round yesterday and lost a csx20tt on the 8th hole. i wasn’t sure if i wanted to lose more since there are supply issues so i grabbed a shag ball and it happened to be a gently used erc soft. from the very first shot i was reminded why i loved this ball. high launch, soft feel, and tons of distance. but i found i was flying my target and the window was higher than i expected, so i went back to csx20tt. i could see myself going back to the erc soft though. less $$$ and a really good ball. hmmm
I played an ERC Soft TT this past weekend and you are correct, high launch and great distance.

Speaking of supply issues, I used some Callaway Rewards points to order a box of ERCs exactly a month ago. At the time the website indicated it was backordered and would ship in 1-2 weeks (some for the cs20tt btw). Still nothing. That said, I was in a Dick's today and saw plenty of ERCs and CStts on the shelves. I guess fulfilling orders using Rewards points is not exactly Callaway's highest priority!

How is the spin with these?
Hit the SuperSoft, but it didn‘t really like to stop very quickly on the green, and it jumped off the putter

Last edited:
Hit the SuperSoft, but it didn‘t really like to stop very quickly on the green, and it jumped off the putte.

i’d like to revisit the spin now that my short game has improved. into the green i find it to stop just fine, not much different than csx20. off the putter i saw no issue in distance control. in fact my first putt with it was over 30’ away, uphill double break and i almost made it. the ball finished right by the hole.

Hit the SuperSoft, but it didn‘t really like to stop very quickly on the green, and it jumped off the putte.
Is it going to spin like ProV1 on chips, unlikely. But, if you clip the ball good on chips it will minimum roll out or you can play it for a bit of rollout.

ERC Soft is probably the ball I’d play out of the Callaway line. It’s a good ball

i’d like to revisit the spin now that my short game has improved. into the green i find it to stop just fine, not much different than csx20. off the putter i saw no issue in distance control. in fact my first putt with it was over 30’ away, uphill double break and i almost made it. the ball finished right by the hole.

I’ve put the new ERC in play a few times and it seems like an improvement in this area to me over the previous version. Our course has pretty small greens and I didn’t really have much trouble getting the ball near the hole. I was generally impressed. It still is a hard sell vs. some of the other urethane balls in the price point (like the Tour Speed), but it’s a solid all-around ball.

I’ve been playing the CS since I essentially got it for the same price with the 4-for-3 deal but I would have zero issues playing the ERC.

I’ve put the new ERC in play a few times and it seems like an improvement in this area to me over the previous version. Our course has pretty small greens and I didn’t really have much trouble getting the ball near the hole. I was generally impressed. It still is a hard sell vs. some of the other urethane balls in the price point (like the Tour Speed), but it’s a solid all-around ball.

I’ve been playing the CS since I essentially got it for the same price with the 4-for-3 deal but I would have zero issues playing the ERC.

erc has triple track! that makes it worth the extra $$$

i really feel the erc has a different initial launch window than cs, which helps me maximize the low spin for extra distance. every time i’ve played cs it has been consistently short and i’ve always thought that was because of a lower launch. it doesn’t make sense, but that’s been my experience.

I thought the original ERC Soft was a good ball. The current version, to me, is even better, longer with a little more spin.

Back