Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

Herbie the love ball? Don't use lines and what it delivers I don't need. Sure it will appeal to a lot of people. Just not a fan.

Last edited:
Being this is how I mark my non-Truvis balls, I am liking the triple line markings.

d64a2c741fe17bd0db1cb49f8c8a5fb9.jpg

I don’t know about others, but three lines helps me a ton lining up shots. I use this for drives and putting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should have patented it

I can’t speak for anyone, but I find that many of the players I have played with, myself included, more often then not hit approach shots, chips, and putts short of the hole or flagstick when landing greens on too many occasions. This is one of the things I have been working on by using the Arrcos sensors, but I still hit short too many times. I wonder if many of the “every other week” type players would get a bigger benefit from a ball with a little extra roll out versus the better spin ball with more stopping tendencies? Love the Chrome Soft, but if this ball gives me a little more roll toward the flagstick with the more preferred soft feel, I would be a happy golfer.

I think it's going to depend on the reason the player is coming up short - if it's an inconsistent contact issue, once that's cleared up a ball that got to the hole might be past the hole and there might need to be a change in technique.

To me it comes down to control in the context of my game. With the Chrome Soft, I have felt like I have more control around the green. With a 2 piece surlyn ball I sometimes feel like I lose that control and can't judge where the ball will end up. That's something I didn't see with the ERC. So you get some of the benefits of the distance-type balls of the tee with a bit more confidence around the green, in my experience.

I like the lines and it is nice they can be hidden if you don’t want to see them. I will give these a try for sure.

I think it's going to depend on the reason the player is coming up short - if it's an inconsistent contact issue, once that's cleared up a ball that got to the hole might be past the hole and there might need to be a change in technique.

To me it comes down to control in the context of my game. With the Chrome Soft, I have felt like I have more control around the green. With a 2 piece surlyn ball I sometimes feel like I lose that control and can't judge where the ball will end up. That's something I didn't see with the ERC. So you get some of the benefits of the distance-type balls of the tee with a bit more confidence around the green, in my experience.
Agree 100%. I think guys should also consider that most of us are not playing shots beyond the flag to zip them back. The average golfer needs a ball to check up and stop. I think the differences in spin will probably more visible to players who use more aggressive swings on the scoring clubs. If someone likes to play the tour sauce shot at the pin, the BS may be a better fit but they should try a sleeve and see. This ball absolutely stops and imo will fit a pretty wide range of players.

Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

I think many golfers come up short due to their thinking of that they will always hit dead center. Yea, I can hit a good eight iron 150. However, if I look at my Arrcos data, I find that I am better suited to hit the seven when 150 out as my eight smart distance is really 142.

Similar situation on chips. Thinking I am hitting far enough to reach flagstick or go just past, only to see it land and come up 3 - 5 feet short.

I think this happens for a lot for golfers.

Now, if I can get a bit more roll from this new ERC ball and have the softer feel I like I will take it. Might be just in my head and we will see when testing begins after this is officially available for me. Will be interesting to see.

I hope everyone takes the #ERCChallenge and tries a sleeve before passing final judgement. MMV, but I think many will be pleasantly surprised at how well this ball performs.

I'm only on page 6 of there views here and i'm already sold on them. Last thing in the world I need is more golf balls but i'll drop my $40 on them when they become available and try them out!

Well, like have said, beware of the trap of Urethane always means it is better. All we can ask if that you give it a shot and evaluate it based on performance.
I'm definitely going to try them out. If I can pick up some distance without losing too much spin off of my irons, it might be the ball for me!

This will be my daily gamer. I can't ignore the added distance I can get with this ball combined with the Epic Flash driver. Having 1-2 clubs (maybe more!) less hitting into the green, especially with the high launching Apex '19s, can more than compensate for any loss of spin compared to the CS for me.

As I said earlier , I used the Callaway ERC during singles play mainly because the course was very soft after all the rain it receives the night prior and I wanted to gain a little more distance but I wasn’t bothered by losing any spin on the greens I traditionally am not a high spin player and was OK with it spinning a little less than I’m used to which isn’t much.

With the wet conditions the ball rolled to distances I’m used to getting during the summer so I think this ball is a little longer for me then the Chrome Soft, but overall I believe it does not spin as much. I started using the Chrome Soft last year and had to make a small adjustment with my chipping as I like to have a little roll on my chips and the CS actually checked up for me, which I’m not used to seeing. I feel the ERC is a good stepping stone for someone that has been using a 3 piece ball and wants to go into that for 4 piece premium ball category. I think for me I would use the ERC when I play golf in the mornings when the ground is a little softer and I want to stay at or around the same distance as I am usually at, but also I don’t need as much spin around the greens if they’re still a little soft. In the afternoon or days when the course is dry or firm and hot outside I’ll probably still go with the CS or try a CSX where I can use a little more spin around the greens. But I’ll also give this ball a go to see what distance I might gain.

I personally like the triple track technology because I have always liked having a longer line on my ball to line myself up for putts and think the three lines can help with alignment especially for longer putts. I’ve used markers to draw my own lines in the past but I know these lines won’t come off like a marker would after a lot of shots. Some balls I will use the company name and just flip the name around. Seems funny but I catch myself reading the “Chrome Soft” on the ball before hitting it and this tricks my mind into not doing that. With it being only around half of the ball, you can still do your own markings or nothing at all by rotating the ball.

I’ll be at Bandon in a week. I prefer to not play urethane balls there in the winter. The ERC is going to be my go to ball for the weekend, well as long as my 2+ sleeves last.

Played 18 holes with the ERC today, courtesy of @mpeterson :) I was seeing summer distances in 40* weather. I don't feel as if I'm giving up a ton of performance around the green either. This could very well be my gamer once my CS's are gone.

I really enjoyed the feel of the ball, from Driver right through putter. Not too marshmellow like, yet not too hard either. Admittedly this aspect could change if they feel much softer in warmer weather, but I really liked the feel in today's weather.

I genuinely think anyone who looks down on this ball because it's not a urethane tour ball without trying it first is doing themselves a disservice. I can't wait to see how they perform in warmer weather, as this could make a significant difference in my distance.

Played 18 holes with the ERC today, courtesy of @mpeterson :) I was seeing summer distances in 40* weather. I don't feel as if I'm giving up a ton of performance around the green either. This could very well be my gamer once my CS's are gone.

I really enjoyed the feel of the ball, from Driver right through putter. Not too marshmellow like, yet not too hard either. Admittedly this aspect could change if they feel much softer in warmer weather, but I really liked the feel in today's weather.

I genuinely think anyone who looks down on this ball because it's not a urethane tour ball without trying it first is doing themselves a disservice. I can't wait to see how they perform in warmer weather, as this could make a significant difference in my distance.

Man I'd have to try it. Paying $40 for a non-urethane cover ball seems steep to me. I know Titleist has done that for years (at $35), but just seems like a tough pill to swallow for me personally. All that being said, the feedback has been pretty positive.

Man I'd have to try it. Paying $40 for a non-urethane cover ball seems steep to me. I know Titleist has done that for years (at $35), but just seems like a tough pill to swallow for me personally. All that being said, the feedback has been pretty positive.

You’re not alone in that line of thought. But, as you said, feedback has been positive so I’ll for sure try a sleeve at some point.

You’re not alone in that line of thought. But, as you said, feedback has been positive so I’ll for sure try a sleeve at some point.

I'm sure I'll try it at some point too. But it will be in a sleeve variety or I'll sneak one out of mpeterson's bag.

I hear you, and before today I would have agreed. Here's the thing, for me, it's a bit of an ego check, as playing a non tour caliber ball seems almost sacrilegious, but am I willing to pay $40 for the ball that best fits my game? for me the answer is yes, regardless of what the cover is made of. The fact that it's made right down the road from me, here in the USA is a definite bonus, and undoubtedly contributes to the pricing.

I had the best day driving the ball that I've had in years, and I'm willing to bet this ball had something to do with it.

Also, Triple Track is phenomenal! Loved using it to line up my putts.

This is one piece of equipment that I’ll say I went into trying with a bit of skepticism myself. But I really found it to play as advertised - little lower spin around the green than the Chrome Soft for sure but more than some of the other balls that have been positioned similarly - thinking of the NXT tour for example.

To me it plays similarly to some of the urethane balls I’ve tried. I get more greenside spin with this than the AVX and maybe similar to what I’ve seen from the Q Star Tour, which I’ve never seen as much check with as I see with the Chrome Soft

I'm sure I'll try it at some point too. But it will be in a sleeve variety or I'll sneak one out of mpeterson's bag.

I’m happy to oblige.

To me it plays similarly to some of the urethane balls I’ve tried. I get more greenside spin with this than the AVX and maybe similar to what I’ve seen from the Q Star Tour, which I’ve never seen as much check with as I see with the Chrome Soft

I was thinking those two balls would be a direct comparison. I’ve played both and liked the Qstar better, I’ll pick up a dozen of these and try them out for sure.

One thing to note is that I’m not sure it can be viewed as a non-urethane, at least from a traditional sense that we view it.

It spins as much as quite a few of the lower compression urethane balls based on what I have seen, albeit it limited.

We are programmed in a sense to view urethane that way, but I have seen some data that shows a ball like AVX spins less around the green than Titleists own Tour Soft, which is a 2 piece surlyn ball.

One thing to note is that I’m not sure it can be viewed as a non-urethane, at least from a traditional sense that we view it.

It spins as much as quite a few of the lower compression urethane balls based on what I have seen, albeit it limited.

We are programmed in a sense to view urethane that way, but I have seen some data that shows a ball like AVX spins less around the green than Titleists own Tour Soft, which is a 2 piece surlyn ball.

You know it's something I've looked in to quite a bit at the end of this past year, so it is something I'm try whenever I pick up a sleeve(probably spring). Full swings I'll have no worries about getting it to spin enough in to greens. But I'll be curious off the driver for me as well as those 50-30 yard shots. Since starting to pay more attention and collect my own data, that is an area where I know I need the spin off the driver, and can see where it gets zapped away on those pitches.

Golfer's being programmed that way is something that Callaway needs to work on educating the consumer on IMO. Just like when making changes in other areas, most have one line of thinking and need the cost, time, and ability to educate on newer ideas seems to be where things like this are won or lost.

Could definitely make for some fun tests and data. It’s interesting as heck.

It may not be a urethane ball but it isn’t just a surly/ionomer cover either. It is a unique hybrid, multi material cover that Callaway developed. Maybe Callaway is just ahead of everyone else.

Wasn’t the NXT ball from years back a hybrid cover ?

Wasn’t the NXT ball from years back a hybrid cover ?

It blended surlyn and ionomer. While most consider them the same, they are not technically as one is branded.

Back