Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

It blended surlyn and ionomer. While most consider them the same, they are not technically as one is branded.

Thanks. I remember trying to research what materials were used and never could find any definitive info.

A couple months back I read about the ERC being Callaway’s answer to the AVX which Titleist touts as having the same greenside and approach spin as their ProV line but is the lowest flying and spinning ball of the 3 off the tee and approaches gaining more distance.

Does the ERC fly lower and spin less than the Chrome Soft line ? Is that how the distance gains are supposed to come?

I’m just trying to understand the purpose behind this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I remember trying to research what materials were used and never could find any definitive info.

A couple months back I read about the ERC being Callaway’s answer to the AVX which Titleist touts as having the same greenside and approach spin as their ProV line but is the lowest flying and spinning ball of the 3 off the tee and approaches gaining more distance.

Does the ERC fly lower and spin less than the Chrome Soft line ? Is that how the distance gains are supposed to come?

I would bet that the distance is a combination of the dual fast core configuration, combined with the lower spinning characteristics of this particular ball. That being said, I think it spins significantly more than the AVX, and is only marginally less responsive around the greens when compared to CS.

I expect to use it tomorrow morning. The temp at our 7:15 tee time is supposed to be 60* with a SSW wind of 12mph. It could still be very soft/wet out there from all the rain we’ve had. Just have to wait and see.

My first exposure to the ball was at the Callaway site and this thread tonight -- I'll give it a shot. $36 is more than I'd like to pay (and I will hunt for a discount), but it's a urethane blend and I like distance. I also like control - surlyn balls don't do it for me unless it's really wet. But these have graphene and urethane. My ball of choice is Chrome Soft and the CS with graphene is my favorite ball. I'm not sure of the triple lines - I once used lines on a ball but did not trust them. I may not use the lines eventually but I'm open. I'll buy a dozen. If they are not my favorite, they'll be my 12 yr old's favorite.

My first exposure to the ball was at the Callaway site and this thread tonight -- I'll give it a shot. $36 is more than I'd like to pay (and I will hunt for a discount), but it's a urethane blend and I like distance. I also like control - surlyn balls don't do it for me unless it's really wet. But these have graphene and urethane. My ball of choice is Chrome Soft and the CS with graphene is my favorite ball. I'm not sure of the triple lines - I once used lines on a ball but did not trust them. I may not use the lines eventually but I'm open. I'll buy a dozen. If they are not my favorite, they'll be my 12 yr old's favorite.

I think you’ll like these. I’m working out how to have enough points on the callaway website to get a couple dozen. If not I’ll be picking some up at retail.

I'm not a person who uses a line in my ball because I always had trouble lining it up properly and then second guessed of I had it correct but the 3 line system makes it easy easier to get it lined up the right way.

If they brought it to the Chrome Soft I'd be all over it.

Keep in mind, it is not just purely three lines. The outer flanking lines are not only a different color but a different thickness. Based on the principles of Hyper Acuity, this is very important to what we are doing. Think of a similar idea of how pilots land a plane on an aircraft carrier (something you need to be fairly precise on).

The ERC Soft spins less than Chrome Soft but does not fly lower. It will be higher launch and lower spin.

The ERC Soft spins less than Chrome Soft but does not fly lower. It will be higher launch and lower spin.
Thanks for clarifying. I’ll give it a whirl. I need all the height I can get on iron shots and driver.

Keep in mind, it is not just purely three lines. The outer flanking lines are not only a different color but a different thickness. Based on the principles of Hyper Acuity, this is very important to what we are doing. Think of a similar idea of how pilots land a plane on an aircraft carrier (something you need to be fairly precise on).

I didn't while I was out in CA, but have made a point of using the lines when trying it when I've gotten home. I've never been someone to use an alignment aid on the putter, but I may be a convert after using these. I feel like I was more consistent at mid distances, even on bumpy winter greens.

Going to try to run some experiments carpet putting at home or in the practice facility to see how much it helps, because I will take any improvement I can get on the greens. Something fun to do in the winter months.

I've spent the last couple of days using the ERC on my putting mat and one of the things I really like about the Triple Track is how it helps my actual putting stroke. I have a fault in my stroke where I take the putterhead immediately inside as I take the club back, something I've been working on fixing. I've been using the Triple Track as a guide line to take my putterhead straight back vs. that inside path. I guess it helps as a reminder.

My first exposure to the ball was at the Callaway site and this thread tonight -- I'll give it a shot. $36 is more than I'd like to pay (and I will hunt for a discount),.

Just a clarification, these are $40 retail.

Many of the articles I've read states this is a 4pc ball. But the USGA conforming list says its 3 pc. Can anyone clarify?

Many of the articles I've read states this is a 4pc ball. But the USGA conforming list says its 3 pc. Can anyone clarify?

It is a three piece ball with a Graphene DualSoft Core and Hybrid cover.

I played today, 60° at tee time and a SSW wind 12-15mph steady. I did not use the ERC on every hole as I have a limited number of them so I avoided using it on hole where the potential for loss was greater.

It definitely is a high launching ball! But, combine this ball with the Apex '19 irons and I was getting distances into the wind like I would normally expect with my CF16s on a calm day! Now, driver into the wind I felt the higher launch was costing my some yards and if/when I move to playing this ball exclusively I may dial down my Flash driver from +1 to S or even possibly -1, as it launched that high for me. I had no problem stopping the ball. A 7i into the wind was practically next to its pitch mark and a PW full downwind stopped within on stride on where the ball hit. Granted, conditions were very, very soft today.

Thanks for popping in and answering some questions we've got! Can you reveal how much less spin?

Jumping in without reading the entire thread so sorry if this has been covered. I know it's not Urethane covered, at least not entirely?? But is it somewhat similar to the CS and the CSx as the AVX is to the ProV line? As someone that has spin monsters lurking with every full club, if that comparison is even in the ball park then color me very interested. I gave up on the ProV line long ago, too high spin for me. I'd play the AVX exclusively except for the cost. As long and often wrong as I am, it's one expense I just don't need. Something 15.00 less expensive has me intrigued.

Especially interested in PhillyV's thoughts. From what I've seen here he can put a hurting on a ball and fights the spin monster too, but please anyone with insight feel free to sound off. Thanks!

While I'm not one to add alignment lines to my ball I don't think it would bother me to have it built in the way these balls do. I'd certainly be open to trying it and worst case if I don't like it to just set the ball up without them showing when putting. The harder part for me to swallow is going to be the price. Even though I love the Chrome Soft I've yet to pay full price for a dozen (and hence have never even played the 2018 version with Graphene). Add to the mix that there are other 3 piece urethane balls in the $30-$35/dozen range and this becomes a harder swallow.

I will likely find a way to try these out but it will be hard to keep them in my bag compared to some of the competition.

Finding the premium ball deals has become an obsession of mine. I need to since I'm outfitting an entire foursome now. It doesn't take much of a bad day from the kids (or me sometimes) for us to go through a dozen balls in a round, all told. I just can't stomach $40-$50 for that. With Z Stars for $20 a dozen, RZN Platinums for as low as $8, and Duo U's for $10, not to mention Gamer Tours for $10, anything much over $20 a dozen has become taboo for me. That said I LOVE the AVX and if this ball rivals it in performance for me, it'll be the ball I'll use for meaningful rounds that the kids aren't playing along with me.

But it's hard to justify $40 or more a dozen when I can play Tour level balls for 25%-50% of that. At least on a day in/day out basis.

So my main question, as a $40(ish) a dozen a ball, does it compete with the AVX, and how does it compare to it? At that price point for me, it's a special occasion ball. If it suits me as well as the AVX I'll play it when that occasion arises (county tournament, when I get into a THP event, etc).

I think just assuming any ball is better because it is Urethane would not be the best way to go about it.

Interested in this point for sure. It's long been beat into my head that Urethane covered balls are better than others. From my results on the course, results tend to mirror this.

I've hit other types of balls that are longer and slightly straighter off the tee. I don't have trouble hitting a full iron and getting them to stop. Where Urethane has made a huge difference for me personally is anything less than a 3/4 shot. The check and control around the green with less than 3/4 shots are the deal breaker.

Most of the courses I play everyday are from 6k-6600 yards. For the most part I'm hitting less than full shots into most greens on the par 4's. Hitting a half wedge, for example, I'd prefer my ball to basically end up almost exactly where I land it. If I'm 72 yards, I want to be able to fly it 72 yards and have it mission accomplished. I've only achieved that with Urethane covered balls. I'll try anything, but most non-Urethane covered balls are some level of a joke witgthese type of shots. I hit the ball halfway to the moon and I can't get them to check well. I'm not saying this one is, far from it. I'd love to be wrong and have a softer distance and low driver spin type ball do what I want from 100 yards in.

I know that Callaway leads in innovation. From what I read from the Grandaddy Crew, this one is special. I'll certainly give it a twirl, I'm a sucker for anything new and shiny. I'm just truly curious as to why it's better? Does the blended cover maintain much of the Urethane properties?

I've played the AVX a couple times this year when I realized I didn't have any golf balls to play with when I showed up at the course and I honestly saw more spin with the ERC than I did with the AVX. Definitely less than the Chrome Soft, but the only shot that didn't work quite as well is the low spinny chip, which I really don't play all that often. No issues getting partial wedges to just check up.

This is what I was waiting to hear! I love the AVX, it's my "the round means something" ball. I battle the spin monster with tee balls and full shots and that ball is the best I've found for it, without sacrificing stopping power. If the ERC can stop with less than full shots and is as low spin off the tee, it's going to get a long hard look from me.

I laughed at Triple Track Technology ... they are lines on a ball, lol.

Mr Sean, I wondered when I would see you again. Lol!

They are precision linear marks on a dual cover ball with Graphene. I'm still trying to figure this one out myself... I'm sure someone from Callaway could explain further. I'm also sure you'd still say that they "are lines on a ball". Lol.

Good to see you again sir!

Mr Sean, I wondered when I would see you again. Lol!

They are precision linear marks on a dual cover ball with Graphene. I'm still trying to figure this one out myself... I'm sure someone from Callaway could explain further. I'm also sure you'd still say that they "are lines on a ball". Lol.

Good to see you again sir!

Jason Finley posted a bit about this a little ways up. They researched and applied aspects of visual acuity and implemented those, so it’s more than just likes on a ball. It’s why the lines are both different color and thickness. Should be more precise in ensuring things are aligned.

Colder today, 45 at tee time but a little less wind (<10 mph). I'm going to put this ball in play for the entire round and I'll report back.

Colder today, 45 at tee time but a little less wind (<10 mph). I'm going to put this ball in play for the entire round and I'll report back.

You are an animal sir. I commend you for getting out and playing as often as you do.

Looking forward to the feedback post round.

You are an animal sir. I commend you for getting out and playing as often as you do.

Looking forward to the feedback post round.
Yeah Phil is as consistent as it gets with weekday golf. I can't wait for those days.

Sorry if already mentioned, but does anyone know the compression rating on this ball?

Back