Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

I used these again last night doing some basement putting. Most of the time I have a tendency to just grab a ball and roll it, but last night i focused more on quality over quantity and tried to mimic my lining the ball up, practice stroke etc... The extra tracking lines make it easier to line up my putt and I catch myself enjoying these more and more. The sound off the insert on my Stroke Lab 7s sounds really good too with these.

Thanks for popping in and answering some questions we've got! Can you reveal how much less spin?

Will depend on person and with what club.

Interested in this point for sure. It's long been beat into my head that Urethane covered balls are better than others. From my results on the course, results tend to mirror this.

I've hit other types of balls that are longer and slightly straighter off the tee. I don't have trouble hitting a full iron and getting them to stop. Where Urethane has made a huge difference for me personally is anything less than a 3/4 shot. The check and control around the green with less than 3/4 shots are the deal breaker.

Most of the courses I play everyday are from 6k-6600 yards. For the most part I'm hitting less than full shots into most greens on the par 4's. Hitting a half wedge, for example, I'd prefer my ball to basically end up almost exactly where I land it. If I'm 72 yards, I want to be able to fly it 72 yards and have it mission accomplished. I've only achieved that with Urethane covered balls. I'll try anything, but most non-Urethane covered balls are some level of a joke witgthese type of shots. I hit the ball halfway to the moon and I can't get them to check well. I'm not saying this one is, far from it. I'd love to be wrong and have a softer distance and low driver spin type ball do what I want from 100 yards in.

I know that Callaway leads in innovation. From what I read from the Grandaddy Crew, this one is special. I'll certainly give it a twirl, I'm a sucker for anything new and shiny. I'm just truly curious as to why it's better? Does the blended cover maintain much of the Urethane properties?

The cover and the new material blend play a role but the Graphene Dual SoftFast core also plays a role and really works well with the cover to enhance the playability throughout the course.

Will depend on person and with what club.

Completely agree with you here. Just didn’t know if there was a percentage that applied kind of a general expectation. Thanks for the response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jumping in without reading the entire thread so sorry if this has been covered. I know it's not Urethane covered, at least not entirely?? But is it somewhat similar to the CS and the CSx as the AVX is to the ProV line? As someone that has spin monsters lurking with every full club, if that comparison is even in the ball park then color me very interested. I gave up on the ProV line long ago, too high spin for me. I'd play the AVX exclusively except for the cost. As long and often wrong as I am, it's one expense I just don't need. Something 15.00 less expensive has me intrigued.

Especially interested in PhillyV's thoughts. From what I've seen here he can put a hurting on a ball and fights the spin monster too, but please anyone with insight feel free to sound off. Thanks!
I didn’t play the AVX a lot but based on my memory of my time with it I’d say the ERC is easily longer. Action on approach shots is harder to assess. I think I got hop and stop type action from the AVX but am getting the ball next to the pitch mark or even 6” behind the pitch mark with the ERC. But it’s winter and the greens are soft now, too.

I am similar to you in terms of being frugal about golf balls. I looked and saw the AVX are listed at $46. There is zero chance I would spend more money on that ball when the ERC performs better for me and is $6 less.

Cant get past the "Alignment Aids"...looks to cheapen the ball and doesnt scream $40/dozen...no thanks

100% agree. If it wasn't for the alignment aids, I'd really want to try this ball.

100% agree. If it wasn't for the alignment aids, I'd really want to try this ball.

There’s no law that says we have to use the alignment aid. A small rotation of the ball makes the hidden at address. Maybe the way to think of the ball is that it is longer than the CS with similar feel but not quite as much greenside action (and let’s be honest - how many of us are really striking the ball well enough to spin it?) for $5 or $6 less.

I didn’t play the AVX a lot but based on my memory of my time with it I’d say the ERC is easily longer. Action on approach shots is harder to assess. I think I got hop and stop type action from the AVX but am getting the ball next to the pitch mark or even 6” behind the pitch mark with the ERC. But it’s winter and the greens are soft now, too.

I am similar to you in terms of being frugal about golf balls. I looked and saw the AVX are listed at $46. There is zero chance I would spend more money on that ball when the ERC performs better for me and is $6 less.

Couple additional thoughts on this to add to the thread
There is more to the performance of a golf ball than what material the cover is. Think about the aerodynamics (ERC is not our lowest flying ball which will help be the differentiator on how the ball stops as your comparison above states). Think about a ball being longer = hitting shorter irons into the green for more spin. Add a new alignment technology to it and it sounds pretty good.

Bottom line, best to try it out to see the performance for YOUR game and form an opinion.

There’s no law that says we have to use the alignment aid. A small rotation of the ball makes the hidden at address. Maybe the way to think of the ball is that it is longer than the CS with similar feel but not quite as much greenside action (and let’s be honest - how many of us are really striking the ball well enough to spin it?) for $5 or $6 less.

And that is just the comparison to Chrome Soft!

Thanks for popping in and answering some questions we've got! Can you reveal how much less spin?

2019 gamer?

I need to try this one when it warms up

2019 gamer?

I need to try this one when it warms up

Could very well be. Same though I really want to try it out when it’s a little warmer

OK, back from my round. This ERC ball, combined with the Apex '19 irons are definitely giving me a full club extra distance, even in 45-55° weather. Into a wind of roughly 10 mph which would normally require an extra club shots are going the kind of distance I would normally get under calm, summer conditions with the Apex CF16s combined with the CS. With the driver, under calm conditions before the wind picked up this morning I was hitting it 230-235 which is a 10-15 yard gain over my previous "typical drive". Also, keep in mind this is under chilly and extremely soft conditions that limits any roll out dramatically.

Yes, the ball does roll out a little compared to the CS but not a whole lot. Calm to into the wind very little roll out but truthfully not "drop and stop". I have really been surprised how quickly I've gotten the ball to stop on downwind shots using the short irons.

Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

To me, with the introduction of this new ERC ball Callaway has done a remarkable job to help all levels of golfers when choosing the “right” ball for their likes and game.

You want the super cheap distance ball - Warbird

You want a distance ball with a bit more spin- Superhot

You want a softer ball with lower compression- Supersoft

You now want a low compression, longer distance, with a softer feel than a distance ball- The New ERC

You want the premium do everything with the best spin and control- Chromesoft.

Of course, my comparisons above are simplistic, but you get the understanding. Callaway has introduced a lineup of golf balls to cover all aspects any golfer could want. From single digits to high handicaps. From those that need to pay the least possible to those that want a premium ball for the money paid.

Myself, I think this ERC is setup to be a great ball for me and my game in 2019. I can’t wait to try it out.

I would add to the above - more greenside control than a surlyn ball.

Just bought a sleeve of the ERC Soft ball and look forward to putting them in play next week.

Just bought a sleeve of the ERC Soft ball and look forward to putting them in play next week.

Where did you buy them from?

so what you're saying is close the browser and walk away??? :banghead:

Well, yeah. Then walk down to ECPC and look pathetic at them until they give you some to go away.

Standing orders? Taze on sight?

i dont know about standing orders......probably. And you're right I can wait until preorder date to grab some.

Back