Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

Yes part of that is correct. Yet A full swing PW into the green, still has spin impacted through core. Its not a "this is a metal wood, therefore its core" and "this is an iron, therefore its cover". Glancing blow is not really the correct term or phrase because the ball is traveling (or trying to) up the face on all clubs with any loft. Add in the force used, in full swing, and the core impacts spin immensely on full shots...Even with scoring clubs.

The cover becomes the real driving force to spin on partial shots as you get closer to the green, when very little force is used.
Ok so then i am understanding the gist of it correctly. It seems I may just have overestimated (or underestimated) just when the cover becomes much more relevant vs the core. My apologies for misleading anyone.

It is not just the fact that there are three lines, but also the thickness of the lines plays into it and the colors, perhaps even the distances apart they are from each other? I think I have one of those ball marking tools you are referring to and it might work as well. I just never liked how weird and busy the ball looked when I did it. Of course I only used one color and the lines were all the same thickness...

Yeah. I wouldn't go as far as thickness of lines play into and what have you....but TTT on ERC is cleaner and not as busy I will give you that.

I say this because one of my playing partners as my club uses a jig to mark his ball like this. He uses two different colors with his (black/red) so when I seen this come out I instantly thought....well this isn't new as my buddy does this every round.

Again, I think its great Callaway is doing it since its already on the ball and one doesn't have to mark each ball this way. Plus like Phil #'s mentioned.....the markings on the ERC ball are pretty subtle.

I do think Callaway will offer this in Chrome Soft soon......I really do which offering along side Truvis tech is fun

If I had to guess, I would say Truvis grows before its pushed out

I agree about truvis... think truvis seems to continue to grow even more popular. id be surprised if thats phased out. Or heck, they may even add it to the erc...who knows? people just seem to like it. And i do as well. Imo its a fun design especially around the greens when you see the ball spin. It doesn't get old at all imo watching it spin. and fwiw Id actually like to see more flare on tour as for colored balls..lol

Yeah. I wouldn't go as far as thickness of lines play into and what have you....but TTT on ERC is cleaner and not as busy I will give you that.

I say this because one of my playing partners as my club uses a jig to mark his ball like this. He uses two different colors with his (black/red) so when I seen this come out I instantly thought....well this isn't new as my buddy does this every round.

Again, I think its great Callaway is doing it since its already on the ball and one doesn't have to mark each ball this way. Plus like Phil #'s mentioned.....the markings on the ERC ball are pretty subtle.

I do think Callaway will offer this in Chrome Soft soon......I really do which offering along side Truvis tech is fun

Actually the thickness of the lines was specifically mentioned as well as the use of different colors. It is pure speculation on my part as to whether the distance between the lines is part of the science (vernier visual acuity).

Actually the thickness of the lines was specifically mentioned as well as the use of different colors. It is pure speculation on my part as to whether the distance between the lines is part of the science (vernier visual acuity).

Coming from the guy that got the low down first hand at HQ!!!! Lucky dog!!!

I’ve always thought you shouldn’t be allowed to mark your ball unless you were in someone’s line. That’d force people to not be able to line up their putts. In theory, it’d speed up things on the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always thought you shouldn’t be allowed to mark your ball unless you were in someone’s line. That’d force people to not be able to line up their putts. In theory, it’d speed up things on the green.

Im so confused on this post?????

Im so confused on this post?????

It’s in regard to alignment aids on balls in general. When I play with my buddies, there is one guy who has to get the line on his ball just right on every single putt. It always slows things down on the green.

I’ve often thought if you weren’t able to mark your ball with a coin and pick it up (essentially play it as it lies) that it would force people to not rely on getting the line on their ball lined up just right.

It’s in regard to alignment aids on balls in general. When I play with my buddies, there is one guy who has to get the line on his ball just right on every single putt. It always slows things down on the green.

I’ve often thought if you weren’t able to mark your ball with a coin and pick it up (essentially play it as it lies) that it would force people to not rely on getting the line on their ball lined up just right.

I can see that. But that's a select few...sounds like you got one of the select few. I am one that uses the line on my ball to get my line and I have never been called "slow". I don't think the saying one ruins it for all would apply to this.

I can see that. But that's a select few...sounds like you got one of the select few. I am one that uses the line on my ball to get my line and I have never been called "slow". I don't think the saying one ruins it for all would apply to this.

I of course do not know just how efficiently quick or annoyingly slow (or somewhere in between) you might be when it comes to taking care of your line. But just because no one ever mentioned anything does not at all imply your not guilty of disrupting the flow of play. Just how much I couldnt say. I do know that I see far too many people who use lines, not only take too long to get them set but it also creates a situation where they also have to pick up and mark and replace after every putt and often can mean they dont finish out after lag putting. So its not only just about the line matching on the ball to the target spot (which too often does become problematic for a number of those who do it) but is often also associated with adding the other indirectly related flow disruptive elements as well. In my many years playing there are a whole lot of people (not just a few) practicing these methods guilty as charges and it often is at least somewhat slowing down the otherwise would be smoother flow (or pace). But most people do not say anything to the person/people and in fact may even often enough speed up some the things they do themselves to help compensate for the time. The whole thing lends itself to those who do tend to be somewhat a flow disruption to never have any slightest clue that they indeed are or that they just might be. Now place more than one of such person in a given group (say 2, or perhaps 3) and the issue multiplies not even to mention if all 4. Again...im not at all implying your problematic but dont think just because someone is never told that it means they are not. especially when also adding the other things related.

Sorry this sems a bit off topic from the ball review thread. But because of the lines on the ball the thread did by default stray a bit into this avenue. So it is in way related to part the ball review imo. i mentioned earlier that this design itself may actually lend itself to people who didnt use to bother with a line and all else related, yet may start now doing so. i saw that as a very possible big negative as for the lines on the ball.

I of course do not know just how efficiently quick or annoyingly slow (or somewhere in between) you might be when it comes to taking care of your line. But just because no one ever mentioned anything does not at all imply your not guilty of disrupting the flow of play. Just how much I couldnt say. I do know that I see far too many people who use lines, not only take too long to get them set but it also creates a situation where they also have to pick up and mark and replace after every putt and often can mean they dont finish out after lag putting. So its not only just about the line matching on the ball to the target spot (which too often does become problematic for a number of those who do it) but is often also associated with adding the other indirectly related flow disruptive elements as well. In my many years playing there are a whole lot of people (not just a few) practicing these methods guilty as charges and it often is at least somewhat slowing down the otherwise would be smoother flow (or pace). But most people do not say anything to the person/people and in fact may even often enough speed up some the things they do themselves to help compensate for the time. The whole thing lends itself to those who do tend to be somewhat a flow disruption to never have any slightest clue that they indeed are or that they just might be. Now place more than one of such person in a given group (say 2, or perhaps 3) and the issue multiplies not even to mention if all 4. Again...im not at all implying your problematic but dont think just because someone is never told that it means they are not. especially when also adding the other things related.

Sorry this sems a bit off topic from the ball review thread. But because of the lines on the ball the thread did by default stray a bit into this avenue. So it is in way related to part the ball review imo.

Play ready golf. That will solve it.

I don't think someone is going to be any slower or faster just because they have a line on their ball for putting. If they are in the habit of remarking after every putt, they will continue to do this.

Lets get back on track of this ball and not about slow play, we have a thread for slow play already.

I don't think someone is going to be any slower or faster just because they have a line on their ball for putting. If they are in the habit of remarking after every putt, they will continue to do this.

Lets get back on track of this ball and not about slow play, we have a thread for slow play already.

I can agree with the track , but the line/s on the ball are part of the ball review. its like a discussion about truvis on a CS review thread. Ball mark lines do slow plenty people down. many peole do struggle with the line as it can indeed become sort of a daunting process in itself as they try to fixate the line exactly correct. It is a real issue for enough people. i think most anyone plays enough golf with many different folks for long time realize there is a real percentage of players who do fit that bill and sort of struggle with ball lining. The new ball here does have s potential to add some more folks to that percentage.

I can agree with the track , but the line/s on the ball are part of the ball review. its like a discussion about truvis on a CS review thread. Ball mark lines do slow plenty people down. many peole do struggle with the line as it can indeed become sort of a daunting process in itself as they try to fixate the line exactly correct. It is a real issue for enough people. i think most anyone plays enough golf with many different folks for long time realize there is a real percentage of players who do fit that bill and sort of struggle with ball lining. The new ball here does have s potential to add some more folks to that percentage.

I just don't see that happening. Players aren't going to all of a sudden change there whole routine when it comes to putting.
I will agree some, (small %) will go a bit slower and make sure but most will not.

I will reserve judgement on that until I can get on course to try it. Which at this weather rate is unknown.

I will reserve judgement on that until I can get on course to try it. Which at this weather rate is unknown.

But its really no different than using the current line on the ball. TT just helps assist with better judgment from what I can gather. If your a line putter...your a line putter. Its not going to slow a line putter down more.

What will slow him down if he doesn't pay attention to his surroundings and doesn't use his time wisely before he gets to the green and while hes on the green is what will slow him down......ready golf.

Plus like mentioned before, people have been using jigs to make lines on balls for awhile now so this isn't revolutionary. They just refined it. Which is great

But its really no different than using the current line on the ball. TT just helps assist with better judgment from what I can gather. If your a line putter...your a line putter. Its not going to slow a line putter down more.

What will slow him down if he doesn't pay attention to his surroundings and doesn't use his time wisely before he gets to the green and while hes on the green is what will slow him down......ready golf.

Plus like mentioned before, people have been using jigs to make lines on balls for awhile now so this isn't revolutionary. They just refined it. Which is great

I should have been more clear. A person who has never used a line on a ball as a putting aid will likely not have much interest in this ball, or will just put the lines downward so they aren't seen when playing it. For a person who has always used a line, this will not slow them at all.
And yes, I agree, it all comes back to ready golf and not imitating what some pro does.

I just don't see that happening. Players aren't going to all of a sudden change there whole routine when it comes to putting.
I will agree some, (small %) will go a bit slower and make sure but most will not.

only in the sense that it does have potential to add more "line usage" putters who may have not otherwise become one. probably not a big deal I understand because its not like the entire population would using this mrc ball anyway..lol
But maybe callaway wishes everyone does. lol

I should have been more clear. A person who has never used a line on a ball as a putting aid will likely not have much interest in this ball, or will just put the lines downward so they aren't seen when playing it. For a person who has always used a line, this will not slow them at all.
And yes, I agree, it all comes back to ready golf and not imitating what some pro does.

I actually mentioned that earlier. One (if they like the ball for regular usage) who is not a liner and usually finishes out may find the need to now reset the ball lines down rather than just finishing out quicker the way the normally use to.. Again i dont think this is changing a whole lot of people but was just worth yet another note (even if minor)

Come on, warm weather!!! I’m ready!

b9f8c5524bfcf95691ff620dc5e6e56a.jpg

16 days till Florida. Curious about these balls, looking forward to testing them out.

If Triple Track works then people will take fewer putts, which means ERC would speed up play because there are fewer putts to mark, line up and stroke.

If Triple Track works then people will take fewer putts, which means ERC would speed up play because there are fewer putts to mark, line up and stroke.

Great point! :highfive:

I like the way you think El Capiton!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back