Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

back to back rounds in the 70s with erc soft, where i’ve been in the low 80s all year. weird thing is i lost a lot of distance with this ball off the driver yesterday. its lower spin punished my carry distance on a course that was soft then took on rain during the round and got even softer. that said, what i gave up off driver i picked up off irons. tough to just pin it on the ball when i made a adjustments to my clubs and to my setup all in the same round, but a 172y 8i, a 135y aw and a 196 6i are 5-10 yards farther than i was expecting on those shots. if i could get csxtt performance off driver but erc soft performance off irons, i would be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have yet to see to see one of these in play on the home course. Somewhat surprised because I see quite a few of the older gentlemen playing the truvis balls.

I actually really like this ball. I can’t get crazy action with it into greens, but I get more stopping power than expected.

Plus, I do like the lines.

It is definitely my ball of choice, at least for the foreseeable future as I now have an additional 3 dozen in inventory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a fan of the ball; I too, get less distance off the tee - but get good reaction with hybrids and irons. Still gaming my Bridgestone’s as well.. tough call between

Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

another round with this ball, another round in the 70s. i’m not putting another ball in play as long as this trend continues.

but the distance loss off the tee is bothering me. what i’m losing off the tee i’m making up in iron distance. a few iron distances are crazy. i know it’s a low spin ball with a lower spin iron, but the ball is stopping within inches of its pitchmark. and the launch is shockingly high for me as a traditionally lower ball hitter.

Last edited:
I agree with my on this page. I really like the feel and distance I get from the ERC. The triple track is perfect for me when lining up putts. Now, I know some may not like the lines. I always draw lines on my balls so I prefer a ball already having them. Plus, I love the triple lines as they seem much easier to line up the ball to the intended target. I use the lines both for off the tee and on the green.

I will say that I like the ChromeSoft a bit more, but usually buy the ERC now with the Triple Track. I know the ChromeSoft X has triple track, but I have only tried a couple balls and don’t think I have the club head speed to compress properly. If in 2020 the ChromeSoft regular gets the triple track treatment than I will be very interested to see my data in comparison.

another round with this ball, another round in the 70s. i’m not putting another ball in play as long as this trend continues.

but the distance loss off the tee is bothering me. what i’m losing off the tee i’m making up in distance. a few iron distances are crazy. i know it’s a low spin ball with a lower spin iron, but the ball is stopping within inches of its pitchmark. and the launch is shockingly high for me as a traditionally lower ball hitter.

Haha, I was just looking for this thread to come in and say something basically along these lines. I bought a doz of these to put in play to mess around with, and I can't stop playing them. I've got a +1 9, and shot a +7 today. I know you me and OITW were going back and forth a bit on Twitter about these and wanted to update the thread with my thoughts on performance around the green.

I've had zero issues playing any shot that's in my repertoire around the green. And I'll qualify that by saying I play a pretty straightforward game around the green - I'll play high/low shots, and open the face but I'm not trying to do anything crazy. The one place I've been most pleasantly surprised is those 1/4-1/2 wedge shots. I've had no issues with those running out on me. It spins more than the AVX did on those shots for me when I gave that ball a try.

I really want to get on a monitor and put this ball against the CS/CSX off the driver, though. I don't have any hard numbers, but like you I think it's a little bit shorter off the driver. But I really don't think I have enough data on that to say for sure yet - today I didn't really notice that as much. Just need more time with the ball.

But this is a really, really good offering. I got a good deal on some Chrome Softs with the Golf Galaxy sale, but I'm strongly considering returning them and picking up some more ERC.

After playing this ball for a while, I noticed I get a higher ball flight, less spin, and have trouble controlling distance on the greens. With that said, the higher flight with less spin is great for attacking pins. I have been putting awful with them. They react differently than other balls off the putter face. I think time will fix the putting issue, but its been a while already.

I think everyone should try this ball for more than a season.

After playing this ball for a while, I noticed I get a higher ball flight, less spin, and have trouble controlling distance on the greens. With that said, the higher flight with less spin is great for attacking pins. I have been putting awful with them. They react differently than other balls off the putter face. I think time will fix the putting issue, but its been a while already.

I think everyone should try this ball for more than a season.

when you say “trouble controlling distances” are you going long often? that’s what i’m finding. the ball is going a lot farther than i expect, so i’m having to get used to that.

what is the putting issue? long, short or not getting the ball online?

but the distance loss off the tee is bothering me. what i’m losing off the tee i’m making up in iron distance. a few iron distances are crazy. i know it’s a low spin ball with a lower spin iron, but the ball is stopping within inches of its pitchmark. and the launch is shockingly high for me as a traditionally lower ball hitter.

Are you using a low spin driver? From your prior post it looks like you are getting LONG numbers from your irons, I wonder if tweaking the loft up might increase spin (you’ve certainly already thought of all this, but anyways there are those that might not..)

Hey McLoving, thanks for reading my post!

Yes I'm going long; but sometimes it balloons up too high, and I lose a bit. With my putter, it jumps off of the face more than I've been accustomed to. I'm having trouble adjusting haha.

when you say “trouble controlling distances” are you going long often? that’s what i’m finding. the ball is going a lot farther than i expect, so i’m having to get used to that.

what is the putting issue? long, short or not getting the ball online?

Are you using a low spin driver? From your prior post it looks like you are getting LONG numbers from your irons, I wonder if tweaking the loft up might increase spin (you’ve certainly already thought of all this, but anyways there are those that might not..)

no, i think the g400 max is a higher spin driver which is what i need.

that’s an interesting thought on the loft. i’m playing 10.5 bumped down to 9.9 because i wanted it to play a little fade biased. maybe i’ll bump it up and see what happens.

Hey McLoving, thanks for reading my post!

Yes I'm going long; but sometimes it balloons up too high, and I lose a bit. With my putter, it jumps off of the face more than I've been accustomed to. I'm having trouble adjusting haha.

when i first got the erc, i too found it a little tough to get the putting distance right. always long because the ball is so, well, soft! but since then, i’ve had really impressive success.

Used this last night at league, felt really good off the driver, plenty long. Iron shot where stopping next to ball mark with hardly any rollout at all. Several stopped right next to the mark. Wedges where hop and stop. I had a couple chips that rolled out a bit further than anticipated. Overall a good ball.

So I’ve been playing the ERC exclusively now and I’m trying to get my clubs calibrated. These are the farthest average distances I’ve ever had in my life....by a lot. I wrote down each distance after every shot with my irons when it was a full swing and this is what I got.

PW: 137 yards
9I: 159&164 yards
8I: 177 yards
7I: 192 yards

What I love is that the ball flight is relatively high. Even my mid-long irons are launching high which I prefer since it’s a lower spinning ball and I want to be able to hold a green.

So I’ve been playing the ERC exclusively now and I’m trying to get my clubs calibrated. These are the farthest average distances I’ve ever had in my life....by a lot. I wrote down each distance after every shot with my irons when it was a full swing and this is what I got.

PW: 137 yards
9I: 159&164 yards
8I: 177 yards
7I: 192 yards

What I love is that the ball flight is relatively high. Even my mid-long irons are launching high which I prefer since it’s a lower spinning ball and I want to be able to hold a green.

That’s in sane.

That’s in sane.

Yea it’s nuts. Played again today and I’m really starting to hone in my distance game with the ERC.

I’m not sure I love triple track though. (Please don’t shoot!) It feels like I’m missing putts because I’m concentrating so much on the lines. Next round I’m going to try to go without and see what happens.

Yea it’s nuts. Played again today and I’m really starting to hone in my distance game with the ERC.

I’m not sure I love triple track though. (Please don’t shoot!) It feels like I’m missing putts because I’m concentrating so much on the lines. Next round I’m going to try to go without and see what happens.

Are you typically a line guy? If you don't line up your putts, I can see how it would be annoying/distracting.

i've had some crazy iron distances with erc. but my favorite thing is the height. being a low ball hitter, this has been really fun to hit the ball so freaking high.

and i'm an unabashed homer for the triple track. it's unlocked cheat mode for my putting. and the fact that i'm on a 3-round stretch in the 70s has me very VERY happy.

i've had some crazy iron distances with erc. but my favorite thing is the height. being a low ball hitter, this has been really fun to hit the ball so freaking high.

and i'm an unabashed homer for the triple track. it's unlocked cheat mode for my putting. and the fact that i'm on a 3-round stretch in the 70s has me very VERY happy.
I liked this ball, but since the CSX with TT came out, I don't think I will ever go back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you typically a line guy? If you don't line up your putts, I can see how it would be annoying/distracting.

Oh yea always been a line guy.

Maybe I just need to get used to it and more comfortable looking at it.

I'm also not a triple track guy. I can see the benefit of it for some. Just too distracting for my eye. I better be dang sure I have the track aligned 100% right, because I cannot adjust at all after that if it's not.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Alright so I experimented some today. I went with no alignment aid or triple track on the ball today at all. The results were impressive. I made a handful of 10 footers and had 5 birdies. Not sure if it was just a better putting day or not having a line, but I’m going to continue with this for now.

Also anyone have trouble with the ERC and its roll out inside about 70ish yards? Outside of that, the ball stops upon landing but not sure if it’s the height or the actual spin.

Inside 70, I’m noticing almost no check plus a bit of rollout. Not bad and I can adjust but might need to test the CS....

I played a round with the ERC Soft this morning and I have a collection of thoughts. From my previous posts in this thread you'll already know (if you've been reading) that this ball is basically everything I try to avoid in a golf ball. Its soft, I prefer clicky. Its low spin, I need more spin. It has lines on it, I prefer naked. Regardless, I pegged it on the first tee and off I went.

It feels soft thoughout the bag from the driver down to the putter. Compared to a Z-Star XV and a MTB-x I could feel/hear a large difference in tone on a 15 ft putt. I'm sure it's something I could get used to but I've always liked a clickier ball off the putter. The feel off the irons is nice and plush. Driver always feels mashed.
Overall I thought my ball flight was lower than normal - like the ball launched ok but just refused to climb. I'm not sure if it was 'low' or just really really flat & even my playing partner commented that my shots just looked liked they lacked penetration. I struggled with wedges into greens a little. Where I would normally expect a hop-n-stop I was seeing a bounce and release.
I also decided to give the Triple Track tech a good run on the greens. I've got to say I have MAD respect for anyone who can actually line these things up the way they want to. It was taking me 3 to 4 adjustments to get the track sitting just right. Once set I'm pretty confident in saying that it helps start the ball on the intended line especially for shorter putts, but by how much exactly is hard to measure.

Overall my thoughts are pretty mixed. On the one hand I feel like I could play this ball and adjust to all it's quirks, but on the other hand I just like other balls better from a feel and flight perspective. I think I want to spend a little more time with Triple Track, especially in a Tournament setting where my short putting gets questionable under pressure. I shot a decent score today and the ball was clearly a part of that.

Back