2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

I hit a Epic Flash 5w for the first time today at the range. I walked in towards the end of my range session since I was swinging pretty well, and asked to try some fairways. The pro handed me this, a Mizuno, and the Ping G410. I hit them all, but holy crap, the EF is a missle launcher! Even high of the face when hitting it off the tee it just flew. I loved the feel of catching in the sweet spot, it felt like the ball exploded off the club face. I am looking forward to the upcoming demo day at the range so I can compare to the Rogue HW I am carrying right now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think I may be ready to go back to the Alpha 816. I've hit some good shots with the EF and see its potential but it just too inconsistent for me. I don't know if it is the crown or face angle or whatever else but it just doesn't feel comfortable at address looking down at the ball. I just lose too many shots to the right with this and that isn't a normal miss for me.

I think I may be ready to go back to the Alpha 816. I've hit some good shots with the EF and see its potential but it just too inconsistent for me. I don't know if it is the crown or face angle or whatever else but it just doesn't feel comfortable at address looking down at the ball. I just lose too many shots to the right with this and that isn't a normal miss for me.

Even with D/+1 setting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with D/+1 setting?

Yeah though I have the 816 in the D setting as well(I play most everything else flat). I hit that at the range a bit today and was seeing it start about center and go just slightly left. The EF I see it start a little right of target but instead of come back it takes off way to the right. It is certainly user error but I am not sure why I get such different results.

I could be off but if I had to guess it is that the matte crown of the 816 looks square to me and the EF looks open and I end up swinging differently.

The shot of the day came from my EF Sub Zero 5 wood yesterday. I had about 210 in to the green from just off the fairway in to a 10 mph wind. The ball strike was slightly on the heel side but it still got up in the air quickly and ended up landing on the green and only rolled out about 7 feet.

I used these fairways off the deck 3 times yesterday and was impressed with how easy it was to get them in the air. I had one 3 wood that was a missile and cut right through the wind. I was a little concerned switching from my Rogue but far I'm seeing some great results.

With only a handful of rounds in the books so far I am extremely impressed with the EF Heavenwood. It’s hard to beat the V-Series Heavenwood but the EF is very close. Looking forward to getting in more rounds and providing some feedback

Upon further review I may not be ready to give up on this yet. I've been fighting my swing and thinking way too much about mechanics. I decided to try what I've been doing with the driver, which is just pick a target and swing hard.

Club is still more fade biased than the rest in the bag but I found fairways and hit where I wanted. I think I need to give it another chance.

I love this 3 wood so much. It's such a weapon off both the tee and deck and I'm comfortable trying to work it both ways. My favorite shot today with it was a tee shot on a medium par 4 - a small fade that carried 250.
In the round previous I had 250 to get on a par 5 in two so I pulled 3W and hit a laser beam through a narrow chute that ended up 10 yards off the front.

Having only had a couple of range sessions with my 3+ & 5w, I wasn't feeling excited after hitting them. I'm not sure if it was the range balls or what, but I just wasn't getting that confirmation that these were the right clubs for this spot in my bag. My 3+ is strictly a secondary tee option and I use it regularly on a few holes for the courses that are in my rotation. Again on the range launch and distance was ok, but the feel wasn't.

The 5w is the club i hit off the deck on longer par 4's and into par5's if I think i can get home in two. Again on the range the results were good, but the overall experience just wasn't giving me a comfortable feeling.

Fast forward to yesterday's round and getting to swing these on the course and with my gamer golf ball. The opening hole is only a 390 yd par 4, but it's a dog leg left right at 200, fairway runs out pretty quick on a straight shot and if you leak it right you have a pretty big fairway bunker waiting for you there. Also on the left side of the fairway right at the point of the dogleg, there is a mature Oak tree waiting to block any second shots that come up short. With driver not an option for me because I can't hit a draw, the 3+ is what I need for this shot. I'm usually right or just behind the tree, but yesterday I hit a good opening shot and the ball got up in a hurry. It was making a bee line straight for the tree, but faded off at the end and I ended up splitting the fairway. I usually have about a 6-7i in and yesterday it was an 8i. Any issues I had quickly went away. I hit this one on two other tee shots and it reinforced I made the right decision putting this one in the bag.

The 5w got more of a workout. There was some wind to deal with yesterday and some tee shots into the wind got eaten up. It left me with 5w as a second shot. Each time I hit this one to the number needed or just short, but it was online. One shot that stood out was on 18. Its a par 5 that you tee off through the trees and a ravine (ob) comes into play pretty quick if the tee shot is long. Yesterday it was into the wind and playing around 515yds. Tee shot only went 210 and leaving me 305 or so left. At this point I need to clear the ravine (no issues here as its only a 100yd or so carry), I'm into the wind and trouble is right all the way up to the green. Smooth second shot leaves me 93yds left for a 3rd shot. That was a 212yd shot into the wind and it went dead straight.

it's safe to say any issues I may have thought these presented, quickly went away on the course.

Having only had a couple of range sessions with my 3+ & 5w, I wasn't feeling excited after hitting them. I'm not sure if it was the range balls or what, but I just wasn't getting that confirmation that these were the right clubs for this spot in my bag. My 3+ is strictly a secondary tee option and I use it regularly on a few holes for the courses that are in my rotation. Again on the range launch and distance was ok, but the feel wasn't.

The 5w is the club i hit off the deck on longer par 4's and into par5's if I think i can get home in two. Again on the range the results were good, but the overall experience just wasn't giving me a comfortable feeling.

Fast forward to yesterday's round and getting to swing these on the course and with my gamer golf ball. The opening hole is only a 390 yd par 4, but it's a dog leg left right at 200, fairway runs out pretty quick on a straight shot and if you leak it right you have a pretty big fairway bunker waiting for you there. Also on the left side of the fairway right at the point of the dogleg, there is a mature Oak tree waiting to block any second shots that come up short. With driver not an option for me because I can't hit a draw, the 3+ is what I need for this shot. I'm usually right or just behind the tree, but yesterday I hit a good opening shot and the ball got up in a hurry. It was making a bee line straight for the tree, but faded off at the end and I ended up splitting the fairway. I usually have about a 6-7i in and yesterday it was an 8i. Any issues I had quickly went away. I hit this one on two other tee shots and it reinforced I made the right decision putting this one in the bag.

The 5w got more of a workout. There was some wind to deal with yesterday and some tee shots into the wind got eaten up. It left me with 5w as a second shot. Each time I hit this one to the number needed or just short, but it was online. One shot that stood out was on 18. Its a par 5 that you tee off through the trees and a ravine (ob) comes into play pretty quick if the tee shot is long. Yesterday it was into the wind and playing around 515yds. Tee shot only went 210 and leaving me 305 or so left. At this point I need to clear the ravine (no issues here as its only a 100yd or so carry), I'm into the wind and trouble is right all the way up to the green. Smooth second shot leaves me 93yds left for a 3rd shot. That was a 212yd shot into the wind and it went dead straight.

it's safe to say any issues I may have thought these presented, quickly went away on the course.

That's great that the fairways are working out better on the course Mike. I've enjoyed the heck out of my 5 wood so far. It's been a long time since I've had one in the bag and I was little concerned but it's been really easy to hit off the deck and lands soft on the green. It's probably one of the clubs I'm most excited for this year.

I have the same setup, (3+ and 5W) and I have hit some great shots with the 3+ off the deck. I am more comfortable with the 5W off the deck but over the weekend after hitting an AWFUL tee shot I had 210 into the wind on a par 4 and hit 3W, it carried past the pin, hit on the green and rolled off the back. I was able to get up and down, but the 3+ launched so easy for me it was incredible, I am playing it at +1/D and never once would have considered something sub 15* with my speed, but it works.

That's great that the fairways are working out better on the course Mike. I've enjoyed the heck out of my 5 wood so far. It's been a long time since I've had one in the bag and I was little concerned but it's been really easy to hit off the deck and lands soft on the green. It's probably one of the clubs I'm most excited for this year.

Previous bag had a Rogue 4W and before that an Epic HW. Each were fun and easy to hit off the deck, but the feel and distance from the Epic Flash 5w is on another level once I got to the course.

I have the same setup, (3+ and 5W) and I have hit some great shots with the 3+ off the deck. I am more comfortable with the 5W off the deck but over the weekend after hitting an AWFUL tee shot I had 210 into the wind on a par 4 and hit 3W, it carried past the pin, hit on the green and rolled off the back. I was able to get up and down, but the 3+ launched so easy for me it was incredible, I am playing it at +1/D and never once would have considered something sub 15* with my speed, but it works.

you know a couple of times i thought about hitting the 3+ off the deck, but felt it might be too much. The course I regularly play has some longer holes were the 3+ and 5w could be interchangeable so I'm going to make a mental note to hit the 3+ and see what happens.

I somewhat unintentionally ended up with a Flash SZ 3-wood in my bag as of this morning.

During yesterday's round, I took a swing on the 8th fairway, and my Rogue 3-wood head went as far as the ball. Shaft snapped right about the ferrule.

Called Callaway after the round, and they said we'll fix it no problem, send it back, it'll take 3-4 weeks, etc., etc. I have 2 tourneys between now and then. So they said take it back to the Roger Dunn where I bought it and see if they can fix it faster. RD said they, too, would just send it back to Callaway. But, he says, "Callaway is running their 50% trade-in bonus again if you want to check out the Flash...."

You know how that goes. Didn't even bother hitting one. Found a 3w SZ head with the same shaft I was just fitted for in my Flash SZ driver, and off I went.

3-wood is not a workhorse for me, generally. But after everything I've read about the Flash fairways, I'm actually really excited to get this one out on the course.

Just picked this up today. I needed something between my driver and 4i. Worked with it at the fitter and the numbers looked good and what I was needing. Now to get it to the course.

a68ade41929c281f39685e057034f901.jpg

I rocked the heck out my 3w yesterday in league. I really really like this club.

I’m hitting the 5w off the deck so well that it has quickly become one of my favorite clubs. I hit it so well I’ve dropped the 3w from the bag. If we ever get decent weather on a weekend without “ honey dos” i have to attend to I am going to experiment putting the 3w head on the 5w shaft and vice versa and hit the range for some comparisons.

Y’all with the 5W talk have just about convinced me to drive to Memphis and try one.

Y’all with the 5W talk have just about convinced me to drive to Memphis and try one.

You didn’t have anything else to do tomorrow did you?

My Epic Flash SZ 5w came in today with a HZRDUS smoke 80g shaft. Super excited to have this in my bag as it will be cranked down to 17° and will act as my 4 wood.

My Epic Flash SZ 5w came in today with a HZRDUS smoke 80g shaft. Super excited to have this in my bag as it will be cranked down to 17° and will act as my 4 wood.

Guessing that fills the 240 gap for you quite nicely

Guessing that fills the 240 gap for you quite nicely

Yea man it’s going to be a weapon for me since I typically use it off the deck. I’ve been using a driving iron off the tee and that’s been amazing. Excited for its maiden voyage next Sunday

Yea man it’s going to be a weapon for me since I typically use it off the deck. I’ve been using a driving iron off the tee and that’s been amazing. Excited for its maiden voyage next Sunday

Next Sunday is like a month away. Not that in fairway wood shopping anytime soon as I’m pretty happy with the rogue lineup, and they’re glued so I can’t exactly swap things with any sorta ease haha

Next Sunday is like a month away. Not that in fairway wood shopping anytime soon as I’m pretty happy with the rogue lineup, and they’re glued so I can’t exactly swap things with any sorta ease haha

I loved my Rogue SZ fairway but the bonded hosel is what eventually turned me away. I love being able to experiment with shafts and such.

Back