2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

scott.french3;n8879584 said:
why subzero vs epic flash? I have an Epic Flash driver and 7 wood and like them both.

Going sub would knock some spin off and potentially give you more distance. But that can vary person to person of course. Generally I would say guys have been happier getting with a 5w playing like a 4w because the 5w is easier off the deck then the 3w is.

So I’ve been tracking my 5w and heavenwood distances. They are overlapping on well struck shots and on off center strikes I’m not giving up that much distance when using the heavenwood.

I’m thinking I’ll give it one more round, but I’m probably going to move the 5w out of the bag here pretty soon.

scott.french3;n8879584 said:
why subzero vs epic flash? I have an Epic Flash driver and 7 wood and like them both.

The SubZero 5 wood is absolutely amazeballs. It's been such a fun and deadly club for me this year.

I'm starting to really love this 3W. Had a hole that just straight up didn't fit my eye with the driver today - ran out of fairway left, tree to the right, so went down to the 3W and ended up in perfect position. 3W is a club I've historically never been confident with, and I have started feeling like I'll pull off any shot I try with this one.

It's definitely low spin - it's an off the tee/run it up on a par 5 club for me. It's not a club I necessarily would want to try to hit a green with. But... I'm also not trying to go at greens from that distance. I'm tempted to give the 7W a go against the 3h.

I leaned on the Flash SZ 3w today on a tight course with a ton of doglegs. Long and strong all day with it and even had some success working the ball both ways when needed.
It's a club that I absolutely enjoy pulling from the bag. The ball just explodes off the face and the mid flight really gives a sense of control.

Decided to go with the EF 5 fwy and adjust it to 17 degrees.

BlueHen2006;n8588179 said:
Used the 3W off the tee on the other 8 holes Saturday:

1: Slight push right barely in rough
3: Straight with no fade, went OB in environmental area, 5W was smarter play
4: Push right OB, tight hole maybe 5W was smarter play
6: Fried egg in bunker in middle of fairway, hit a beautiful shot that faded a little bit but got plugged in bunker a foot below the lip
7: Straight in Fairway
10: Straight in Fairway
15: Draw OB, houses on right side and got nervous (hate this hole!)
16: Push it right and got stuck behind tree, had to punch out

Overall the club was fantastic for me, but again club selection was my problem I think as this course just felt much tighter to me. After my results on 6,7, and 10, I should have thought to use 3W on 12 and maybe 13, but ego got in the way and went driver. I think this club was in -1/D setting before the round and I changed it to -1/N after a range session, but have to check to be sure. The club flat out performed great for me, outside of a few shots that I just didn't expect to hit it as far as I did along with club selection. I believe based on the next course I should be playing, the fairways are more open and not as many holes where you can only hit it a certain distance before trouble comes into play.

5W was used twice as my 2nd shot on two par 5s where I hit the fairway (2 and 17), and I proceeded to mess those up too! Never been that close to those holes ever and got greedy (250 and 225 away)! Ended up with par on 2 and double on 17, overall I'll take that combined score for both. Both times were bad swings and just the excitement of being that close on a par 5 got to me. Lesson learned!!

Playing tomorrow at the same course these results were from. I have a few holes I wish I chose differently on so now is my chance to get it right. 2 holes are getting changed from driver to 3w, and 3 others from 3w to 5w, but might even go hybrid instead on one of those. Hoping to improve accuracy off the tee while being a little smarter.

The 3w can be very deadly off the tee. When you connect it just goes!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last night we had our leagues 3 club format and I picked my SZ 5 wood for one of the clubs. This club is seriously in the running for one of my favorite clubs I've ever owned. I can flat out bomb it and also pull back and play to yardages when I need to. The best thing is that it is flat out easy to elevate from the fairway and rough. I have a feeling this club is staying in the bag for a very long time.

KEV;n8894283 said:
Last night we had our leagues 3 club format and I picked my SZ 5 wood for one of the clubs. This club is seriously in the running for one of my favorite clubs I've ever owned. I can flat out bomb it and also pull back and play to yardages when I need to. The best thing is that it is flat out easy to elevate from the fairway and rough. I have a feeling this club is staying in the bag for a very long time.

I always think my 3H is safe, then I read stuff like this. Darn you Kev, go shovel your driveway.

ArmyGolf;n8894325 said:
I always think my 3H is safe, then I read stuff like this. Darn you Kev, go shovel your driveway.

I need an Epic Flash Sub Zero shovel.

I picked up a 3+ and 5W EF Fairway's from CPO. I had the 3W however I couldn't get along with it. Just pushed everything to the right.
Traded it in on the EF Irons.
Went with the AV Blue 75 Stiff in both.
Man, I still can't stop pushing or fading to the right.
I have the draw setting on both and it really doesn't seem to help.
I'm going to try to put in a lighter regular flex shaft in them and put some lead tape on the heel but man, it's discouraging....

Last round with these and I really wanted to use them more but was on a set of tees I am not used to and decided to give driver more tries just for fun. Not used to having par 4s be so short on some holes and it was fun having different shots than usual. Overall still shot great and close to my cap!

3w 4x and 5W 3x, both these had a case of the draws/hooks too, similar to a few shots I had with the driver. I guess you can say I found the fairway once with the 5w, but was I think ~250 par 4, downhill, with a tail wind, and my 5w found the very back edge of the green giving me a great 2 putt birdie! Had another hole that played 250 and the 5w was a hair left but caught the bunker and probably saved me from rolling OB and got par instead. The bigger miss with each club was left so I am thinking about moving the setting to either from D to S or adjusting the loft to open the face some. Since driver was drawing more for me, could have been just the swing I had that day and just never moved my line enough right and just trust my swing. Fun round still and glad to be able to say my only time I ever drove the green was with a 5w, which is just too funny!

Has anyone tried the Heavenwood? On paper it seems to be an interesting combination - bigger head than the 5 wood with a slightly longer shaft.

Iceman!;n8894668 said:
I picked up a 3+ and 5W EF Fairway's from CPO. I had the 3W however I couldn't get along with it. Just pushed everything to the right.
Traded it in on the EF Irons.
Went with the AV Blue 75 Stiff in both.
Man, I still can't stop pushing or fading to the right.
I have the draw setting on both and it really doesn't seem to help.
I'm going to try to put in a lighter regular flex shaft in them and put some lead tape on the heel but man, it's discouraging....

Was that AV Blue in the 3W you traded in too?

Anyone playing the 9w? I can’t find a hybrid I like in the 24*-26* range so I’m thinking about giving one a shot

Yesterday I had 295 to a water hazard and a decent tail wind, so I clubbed down to 3 wood instead of driver.
You guessed it...splashdown!

The bogey hurt, but the ego and pride live on forever.

radiman;n8898864 said:
Was that AV Blue in the 3W you traded in too?

No, HZDRUS Yellow 6.0 75 stiff

Iceman!;n8898980 said:
No, HZDRUS Yellow 6.0 75 stiff

Hmm. If it were me in this scenario, I would maybe try bumping the loft up. That would close the face a little bit. Could make a big difference at impact. I had a similar issue with my driver earlier this year and lofting up helped me come in a little more square.

Used 3w 3 times, hit the fairway once and left other 2 on left and right of fairway. One pulled shot since OB way right and I got nervous, but the one shot that did miss right wasn't by much, getting more comfortable pulling this club on tighter holes.

Liking my EF 3w more and more as I use it more, especially off the tee. I'm getting great distance and the penetrating ball flight is fun to see.

Reactions: KEV
Munich77;n8898596 said:
Has anyone tried the Heavenwood? On paper it seems to be an interesting combination - bigger head than the 5 wood with a slightly longer shaft.

I’m considering this. And for the reasons you mention.

I LOVE THIS 5 WOOD!! 245 yards left on a par 5, from the rough and I popped it right out, landed just short of the green and rolled up leaving about a 12 for putt. The really great thing is that I can hold back on it also and give myself yardage anywhere from 220-245. This is right up there for MVP of my bag for 2019.

Still love my EF SZ driver and 3 wood. Such penetrating ball flight. Especially on windy days like today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back