Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways

This thread will serve for reviews and discussions on the new 2019 Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Fairways.
    ProudEST Member of TEAM THP for The Grandaddy 2018!
    WITB

2019 Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9 degree, Attas Coool 7X
    2019 Callaway Epic Flash 3W, Elements Gold Proto 7F5
    2019 Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Elements Platinum Proto 8F5
    2019 Callaway Big Bertha 3H, Handcrafted Black 85g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Apex Irons 5-AW, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
    2019 Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 54 & 58, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
    Garage Memphis
    Chrome Soft X TT Ball

sigpic

Yes finally! Here are some pics and my initial review!

EPIC Flash Fairway Woods Initial Review

3w and 5w (Sub Zero)

Opti-Fit Settings: -1 / D
    Shaft: Project X EvenFlow Green
    Flex: 6.0
    Length: STD
    Grip: Lampkin UTX Black

These are long as well! I was gaming the Steelhead XR 3w and 816 Alpha 5w, which were good, but the feel off these are amazing. They also have the Flashface technology. I hit some great shots with these. Didn’t have to use them too much as most of my shots were with my irons, so initial thoughts are great, but can’t wait to get these in play some more. Both clubs off initial play with them and at the range during my fitting are my favorite fairway woods by far.

These things are long. Since being back from the event, I am still hitting these things a long way. One shot that stuck out to me in particular was my round at Bear Trace a couple of weeks ago, I hit the 3w off the deck from 260 and hit it to just off the right side of the green to pin high. That’s a long way for me especially in the 40s for temps. More to come!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    WITB:
    Bag: #The
    Grandaddy Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag & Hyperlite 4 Standbag
    Driver: EPIC Flash 9* w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 55g 6.0 Full Draw (-1/D)
    3w: EPIC Flash w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 65g 6.0 (-1/D)
    5w: EPIC Flash Sub Zero w/ Project X EvenFlow Green 65g 6.0 (-1/D)
    Hybrid: GBB 4h w/ UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 470 F4
    Irons: 2019 Apex CF-19 5 - AW w/ Project X LZ95 6.0
    Wedges:
    2019 Mack Daddy PM Grind 54°/58° w/ Project X LZ95 6.0
    Putter:
    Strokelab DoubleWide Flowneck & Las Vegas H7 Strokelab
    Ball:
    Chromesoft X Triple Track
    Grips: Lampkin UTx Standard
    **Proud member of #TeamTHP of #TheGrandaddy2018**

Comment

Interesting “target” area on the face.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2019 Championship Participant @ Firestone CC
      Epic SZ w/ Tour AD di 7X Orange/white
      Rogue 3W w/EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5
      KING F8 2Hyb w/ES SW 780 SmacWrap Black S-Tipped 1/2"
      KING UT 4I w/ CTaper Lite Stiff
      KING Pro-Black 5,6CB / 7,PWMB w/CTaper Lite Stiff
      TourB XW-1 52/08, 56/10, 60/10 wedges w/
      Pro Platinum 2.5
      2019 Championship Participant @ Firestone CC

Member of TEAM HACKERS in the 2018 MORGAN CUP - P4B "miss you brother"

Comment

Happy, happy day!!!!!!
        Sun Mountain C-130 or 4.5 Bag:

Epic Flash Driver
        EX 10 Beta 3 Wood
        Epic Flash Heavenwood
        G410 4, 5 Hybrids
        Z 585 6–AW Irons
        Mack Daddy 4 54°, 60° Wedges
        SWAG Handsome One Undressed Putter

Chrome Soft Truvis Stars & Stripes | Q-Star Tour Balls

Comment

During my fitting at #TheGrandaddy I ended up in an Epic Flash Sub Zero 3 wood. 15* of loft, heavy weight forward, Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7x shaft. This is the club that I will be using as the basis for my reviews.
          Tech!:
          This fairway wood is one that I've been absolutely ITCHING to get my hands on and get into my bag. Jailbreak tech in a FW head is amazing and it makes an appearance here in the Epic Flash FWs, but in addition to the Jailbreak these FWs are also packing the Flash face tech. Basically these two technologies combine to deliver the most stable ball launcher I've ever used. The Jailbreak tech maximises the stability, efficiency, and forgiveness of the head while the Flash Face just ensures that no ball speed is left on the table.
          The Flash Face is designed by a super-computer by running thousands upon thousands of different variations in shape/thickness, within the known quantity of the head, until it is satisfied that it has reached the optimum specs. The guys at Callaway were very clear that theoretically taking a Flash face and putting it in any other club head would not yield favorable results at all. Each model's face is designed to specifically max out performance for that head and that head alone.
          Callaway's new hosel adapter also makes an appearance here. This one is shorter and lighter, giving the designers more weight to play with in the club head itself.
          Looks:
          This 3 wood features all the same aesthetics as the driver, most notably being the green & yellow paint scheme, the new grey line and reduced carbon fiber look on the crown. The sole features a familiar 2-weight system with ports located front/back and one weight being heavier than the other. The heavier weight has a darker grey finish on it.
          The face of the Sub Zero head has some simple white scoring lines on a black face, classy and effective. The lines are actually very shallow grooves, but I hesitate to call them that.
          The overal head shape of the Flash SZ 3 wood is very nice. It's nice and compact heel to toe with a slight pear shape round the back. The leading edge of the crown looks nice and straight at address despite having a very slight curvature to it. I'm struggling to decipher if the face has a tendency to sit open or neutral at address, but I think it's just a hair open in the "N / S" hosel setting.
          Sound & Feel:
          This is where this club really starts to endear itself to it's users. WIth the heavy weight forward it feels like smashing a nail with a sledgehammer, a really heavy hit. The feel at impact is dense in the center and then more metallic towards the perimeter or the bottom. The sound of a well struck shot with this club is the kind that makes playing partners comment instantly before even watching the flight.
          Performance:
          This club has very quickly rocketed to the top spot in my bag. The flight is freaking perfection and the numbers produced are something I've never seen out of a FW before. With each well struck ball I can feel it yanking on my heartstrings more and more. The ball comes off the face fast and climbs for what feels like a long time, without a hint of ballooning...it looks very much like a mid-spin driver flight. I also discovered that by teeing the ball up a little higher and catching it high on the face you end up with the same speed, but a higher launching/lower spinning flight which carries even further.
          I've never been one to get compliments on my golf shots from anyone since they are mostly unimpressive looking and sounding, but the 3 rounds back home that I've played have one thing in common. When I hit this 3 wood pure, my playing partners take notice. It's really nice to hear things like "Holy ballzz!" "Wow, was that 3 wood?!" and "What a great flight!" as opposed to my usual "You gonna shout fore? Or should I?"
          The other thing that's worth mentioning is the way this 3 wood just seems to want to go straight. I actually have no idea what specific tech in the head might lend itself to this, but on days when the driver just won't be controlled this 3 wood has so far been a life saver and a fairway finder.
          Epic Flash 9.5* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
          Epic Flash Sub Zero 15* [Tour AD-IZ 7x]
          Big Bertha 3H & 4H [Tour AD-DI 95 S]
          Apex Pro '19 5-AW [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
          MD4 56* S-Grind & PM Grind 60* [DG Tour Issue 120 S-400]
          Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
          Chrome Soft X

Comment

Can't wait to read all the feedback about these.
            Driver: GS53 10.5 w/ Accra TZ6
            FWs: GS53 3W & 5W w/ Helium 5F4
            Hybrid:
            VKTR 22* w/ iRoD 75
            Irons: PTx Pro 5 - PW w/ Recoil 780 ES SW
            Wedges: Equalizer 50, 54, 58 w/ Recoil 780 ES SW
            Putter: BHB03
            Ball: B330-RX / Tour B RX

Comment

Upon first look, I am not a huge fan of the face design. But, I can't wait to give it a try! Will br tough to knock the Rogue out.
              GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° ​UST Mamiya HeLIUM Prototype
              Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15°) Project X Even Flow Blue
              BBA 815 3H (19°) Fujikura Speeder 865
              JPX 919 Forged 4-GW ​True Temper DG 120 TI [Thanks to Ultimate Weekend!]
              Mack Daddy 4 54° X / MD3 Milled 58° W True Temper DGTI 120 / Onyx Wedge
              O-Works #7s Black
              Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

Comment

The new 2019 Epic Flash fairway is exciting to me! There’s a ridiculous amount of tech that comes together to create a system of speed, distance, launch and forgiveness that I love. Heading into The Grandaddy, I was concerned about launching these as my previous fairways had rails that provided some assistance. All of my concern was put to bed on the driving range and I haven’t looked back.

Jailbreak has been a game changing technology that we first saw in a fairway last year when Rogue launched. This years fairways improve upon that tech by pairing them with the Flash Face and the combination is teling. There is also a new, smaller hosel that was designed to reduce weight at the hosel and work in sync with the new tech. It’s a monster off the tee and I hit my 3W into driver distance several times. Off the deck, I have no issues launching the 3W or the 5W. I’m see more distance and better performance in the wind that we have been dealing with here which I would attribute to ball speed.

Aesthetically, the flash face, the green and yellow, the crown and the clean framing line across it….I love the design. I wasn’t sure I would love the yellow and green, but it has grown on me and now I’m a fan. It looks so much better in person as well. More to come...

Here’s a few pics below:
                ProudEST Member of TEAM THP for The Grandaddy 2018!
                WITB

2019 Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9 degree, Attas Coool 7X
                2019 Callaway Epic Flash 3W, Elements Gold Proto 7F5
                2019 Callaway Epic Flash 5W, Elements Platinum Proto 8F5
                2019 Callaway Big Bertha 3H, Handcrafted Black 85g Stiff
                2019 Callaway Apex Irons 5-AW, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
                2019 Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 54 & 58, Steelfiber 110g Stiff
                Garage Memphis
                Chrome Soft X TT Ball

sigpic

Comment

I freakin love that Target area design on the face. Such a cool detail.

Not in love with the color scheme but it definitely won’t deter me from trying this release out. Seems like there’s quite a bit of buzz around this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2019 Granddaddy Participant!
                  Proud Member of Team 99 Malort & 2017 Callaway Gauntlet Champs!

DRIVER:
                  G410 Plus 9* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X
                  3WOOD: TS2 13.5* (B2) PX Even Flow T1100 6.5 (Tipped 1")
                  3 HYBRID: Aeroburner 19* Accra FX-H300
                  4-PW IRONS: Z765 2* Flat KBS Tour X-Flex 130
                  WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Brushed Steel: 50F, 54F, and 60D with TT DG S400 Tour Issue
                  PUTTER: Mullen 2 Brushed Copper 34”
                  BALL: ERC Soft

Comment

Originally posted by tpluff View Post
                    Upon first look, I am not a huge fan of the face design. But, I can't wait to give it a try! Will br tough to knock the Rogue out.
                    What part of the face design are you referring to?
                    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
                    Chrome Soft X

Comment

Army, how is this SZ 3 Wood off the deck?
                      Ping G400 Max 10.5 w Ping Tour 65 S
                      Rogue SZ 15* Project X EvenFlow Blue 75 S
                      G410 3H 19* Alta CB 70 Red S
                      Apex 4H 23* Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black 80 S
                      CF16 5-AW (1* flat) Recoil 460 ESX F4
                      Vokey S
                      M7 54-14F & SM7 58-12D
                      Toulon Design Madison (2016) H1 MID-SLIM 2.0 Green
                      Chrome Soft Yellow (Love me some Yellow Balls!) and CSTTX

Tour B RX Yellow
                      Lite Rider Pro Cart Bag
                      3.5+
                      Precision Pro Golf NX7 SHOT Laser
                      SuperSpeed Golf

2017 CALLAWAY HYPE PARTICIPANT!

Comment

Originally posted by Kenomikes View Post
                        Army, how is this SZ 3 Wood off the deck?
                        Easier to hit and launch than my old Alpha 816 4 wood.
                        Ive hit some crazy good shots off the deck so far, which actually shocked me since that's never been a strength of my game. Even more surprising considering that I have the weight forward in my Flash SZ, and I had weight back in my old 816.
                        Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
                        Chrome Soft X

Comment

Fairway woods have been my weakness for some time, but not with these! They are easy to hit, especially off the deck and I am getting great ball flight and distance with both the 3w and 5w. Both have the adapter set at +1/N. Again, the ball seems to just jump off the face of these clubs and I am getting a good 10 yards more in distance than the fairway woods I was using before.
                          Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5° (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
                          FWs: 3W (+1/N) Epic Flash* - 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
                          Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
                          Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
                          Wedges: 52°S* /56°C MD4 / 60° PM 2.0 Grind* - all w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
                          Putter: Stroke Lab Double Wide or Toulon Portland
                          Ball: ERC Soft or Chrome Soft
                          * Interchangeable - I carry 2 out of the three

Comment

Originally posted by ArmyGolf View Post
                            What part of the face design are you referring to?
                            The graphics on the face. I'm sure it's hardly noticeable at address and not much different than the X that has been on previous models, but it's a very prominent feature here.
                            GBB Epic Sub Zero 9° ​UST Mamiya HeLIUM Prototype
                            Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15°) Project X Even Flow Blue
                            BBA 815 3H (19°) Fujikura Speeder 865
                            JPX 919 Forged 4-GW ​True Temper DG 120 TI [Thanks to Ultimate Weekend!]
                            Mack Daddy 4 54° X / MD3 Milled 58° W True Temper DGTI 120 / Onyx Wedge
                            O-Works #7s Black
                            Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

Comment

Originally posted by tpluff View Post
                              The graphics on the face. I'm sure it's hardly noticeable at address and not much different than the X that has been on previous models, but it's a very prominent feature here.
                              That design is only on the Flash models, the SZ models feature a simpler design with white scoring lines only.
                              Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
                              Chrome Soft X

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X