2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

Sorry, just saw this.

Based on the looks of the face, contact is center to heel, never out toward the toe.

I thought that might be the case based on my few hours with it. Center and toe strikes were rewarded and heel shots were not as rewarded.

That will be a fun battle

Hit them both. No major difference. I got nearly the same numbers out of both at a time when I was swinging well. Couldn't tell enough of a difference to decide today.

Hit them both. No major difference. I got nearly the same numbers out of both at a time when I was swinging well. Couldn't tell enough of a difference to decide today.

Did either fit your eye better?

The 2019 Apex has a smooth insertion right into the bag and was a pretty comfortable tee club on shorter holes. It slid through the rough with ease and I loved the launch from the catalyst 80 shaft.

It might be a hair bigger than the original apex hybrid but it still looks more like an iron replacement than a mini-wood to me. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

Did either fit your eye better?[/QUOTE

I play G400 hybrids so the look of the G410 didn't put me off. Played the old Apex hybrid and it looked similar but maybe a little larger. Nothing that would scare me away from either. I just have to decide if I'm going to move on one or not.

The 2019 Apex has a smooth insertion right into the bag and was a pretty comfortable tee club on shorter holes. It slid through the rough with ease and I loved the launch from the catalyst 80 shaft.

It might be a hair bigger than the original apex hybrid but it still looks more like an iron replacement than a mini-wood to me. Does anyone agree or disagree with that?

Definitely still small enough profile for me to see if it as an iron replacement but balls flies off the face like a mini wood would if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did either fit your eye better?[/QUOTE

I play G400 hybrids so the look of the G410 didn't put me off. Played the old Apex hybrid and it looked similar but maybe a little larger. Nothing that would scare me away from either. I just have to decide if I'm going to move on one or not.

I totally agree the new apex is a bit bigger than the OG (maybe it’s the jailbreak addition). Did you try different shafts to see what works?

Definitely still small enough profile for me to see if it as an iron replacement but balls flies off the face like a mini wood would if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes perfect sense to me. I played the OG for 6 months and it seems like the 2019 model is way hotter off the face.

I’m super surprised that I haven’t seen more new apex hybrids in bags at my local course. It is way worthy of considering and I’ve been seeming great consistently with my numbers. And we have a Callaway heavy membership.

I’m guessing that we are a time where we shifted back to long irons being popular but I’m real surprised at the numbers anecdotally. Has anyone seen a lot of the new apex hybrids and maybe my sample size is too small?

I’m super surprised that I haven’t seen more new apex hybrids in bags at my local course. It is way worthy of considering and I’ve been seeming great consistently with my numbers. And we have a Callaway heavy membership.

I’m guessing that we are a time where we shifted back to long irons being popular but I’m real surprised at the numbers anecdotally. Has anyone seen a lot of the new apex hybrids and maybe my sample size is too small?

It may be a little early to get a good idea. Up in my area I didn't see a ton of the original Apex in people's bags the past couple of years. Hopefully that changes with this release because it seems to pick up where the last version left off.

It’s early in our area, due to the unusually late and wet winter. Not been able to get out for other reasons, but it will be interesting to see what clubs found their way into bags around here once we get into May.

I agree with the iron replacement. Especially with the toe being higher like an iron and not rounded like a wood.

As much as I love my long irons, this apex hybrid is way easier to hit out if the rough and get great distance. That might keep it in the bag

Molinari really was stripping this hybrid today.

Or possibly the older version

I tell you what, I was smoking this thing today. I used it a handful of times to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with and came away pretty happy. First off outside of the gloss vs. matte finish the shape is pretty much the same with just a slightly larger footprint. Although if you didn't really pay attention you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Sound and feel wise it's again extremely similar to the previous model. That really jumped out to me today. The face feels a little more lively on this model which I would attribute to the Jailbreak.

It's still filling that long iron gap which is perfect and is giving me right around 205-210 yards which is probably 5 yards longer than the last version. That's not a big deal for me and it's been really easy to just choke down to take a few yards off.

Flight wise I was seeing a nice high flight on a regular swing with just a slight draw. This doesn't seem to draw as hard as my previous Apex which is so good to see and should help me land the ball softer in to greens.

Overall I'm really happy with what I saw today. I was a little concerned with what I saw in the simulator this winter but outdoor it looks like it may be a winner.

I tell you what, I was smoking this thing today. I used it a handful of times to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with and came away pretty happy. First off outside of the gloss vs. matte finish the shape is pretty much the same with just a slightly larger footprint. Although if you didn't really pay attention you probably wouldn't even notice it.

Sound and feel wise it's again extremely similar to the previous model. That really jumped out to me today. The face feels a little more lively on this model which I would attribute to the Jailbreak.

It's still filling that long iron gap which is perfect and is giving me right around 205-210 yards which is probably 5 yards longer than the last version. That's not a big deal for me and it's been really easy to just choke down to take a few yards off.

Flight wise I was seeing a nice high flight on a regular swing with just a slight draw. This doesn't seem to draw as hard as my previous Apex which is so good to see and should help me land the ball softer in to greens.

Overall I'm really happy with what I saw today. I was a little concerned with what I saw in the simulator this winter but outdoor it looks like it may be a winner.

Definitely a worthy replacement of the original. I dig your take

Thanks for the comparison to the previous Apex - I loved that club every time I hit it, but never put it in my bag because the hybrid I had at the time was one of my all time favorite clubs. The 3/4h have been great in my bag since December. I would have zero chance going after a par 5 or long par 4 with either of these, and the 3h is absolutely fantastic off the tee.

This is great feedback!

Though, I do disagree with the size thing. Having finally seen the new Apex in the wild and having gamed the OG’s for two seasons, there’s a noticeable difference, which still on a personal level makes me sad.

Contrary to what some might think, this post isn’t criticism, it’s just conversation and I hope it’s taken as such, I love the feedback given, and I still want to try one in the 19 spot. Sad I have to disclaim this as well, but, it is what it is.

This is great feedback!

Though, I do disagree with the size thing. Having finally seen the new Apex in the wild and having gamed the OG’s for two seasons, there’s a noticeable difference, which still on a personal level makes me sad.

Contrary to what some might think, this post isn’t criticism, it’s just conversation and I hope it’s taken as such, I love the feedback given, and I still want to try one in the 19 spot. Sad I have to disclaim this as well, but, it is what it is.

No criticism taken my friend. I may be wrong but it seems like the gloss finish makes the club head seem larger as well. I think it's still smaller than a majority of the hybrids available and provides the shape that I prefer but it would have been nice to have the same size. I wonder if they had to make it a little bigger to get the Jailbreak added?

This is great feedback!

I agree that the difference is noticeable in head size, although I much prefer the performance of the 2019 to the original so I’ll willing to ignore it. It might be, as @kev says, that the move from matte to gloss didn’t help in this area.

Size doesn’t matter to me for hybrids and fairway woods as much as others (at least I haven’t found one I disliked on size alone yet).

No criticism taken my friend. I may be wrong but it seems like the gloss finish makes the club head seem larger as well. I think it's still smaller than a majority of the hybrids available and provides the shape that I prefer but it would have been nice to have the same size. I wonder if they had to make it a little bigger to get the Jailbreak added?

I’m completely guessing but I want to believe the size increase was due to jailbreak. Either way, it is still on the smaller size for today’s market as you point out.

The stock catalyst still blows my mind - that couldn’t have been cheap to get stock.

I’m completely guessing but I want to believe the size increase was due to jailbreak. Either way, it is still on the smaller size for today’s market as you point out.

The stock catalyst still blows my mind - that couldn’t have been cheap to get stock.

I think the prices of stock shafts would blow your mind my friend. Hahahaha

I think the prices of stock shafts would blow your mind my friend. Hahahaha

I’ve already had my mind blown at the PGA show (thanks @JB and @vgolfman for letting me be a fly on the wall for those chats) but I’m assuming there is a greater cost to the catalyst based on market buying patterns (new shaft and stock in only one place). I’ve been wrong on nearly everything else so I could be wrong here too.

I’ve already had my mind blown at the PGA show (thanks @JB and @vgolfman for letting me be a fly on the wall for those chats) but I’m assuming there is a greater cost to the catalyst based on market buying patterns (new shaft and stock in only one place). I’ve been wrong on nearly everything else so I could be wrong here too.

You are correct. There are still some pretty big swings.

I'm getting more and more used to my 3h and 4h. They seem to be filling the gaps I need.

Your comment about sound / feel intrigues me quite a bit. My experience is a bit different: the sound and feel is not similar to the previous model to my ears, but I don't dislike it. I'll have to pay more attention again, but it seems more muted to me than the previous one.

I do still miss the matte finish, but I have no problem getting used to glossy.

The Callaway guys always say you can't make these go left, but I proved that wrong with an OB pull off of #1 the last time I played! LOL. I made a mental note to see if they've implemented the new OB rules at that course. Anyway, my next shot was nice and high with a baby fade. I'd prefer to hit a baby draw every time, but I seem to be hitting fades more often with these than draws, which as you said could help with holding greens.

Back