2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

Solid work Molten! Really good stuff in the review man! More forgiveness in that profile is a pretty big improvement, the jailbreak technology has been huge for Callaway in so many offerings now.

I’m uber torn about trying the 2h in the place of my 5-wood. I just wonder if I have the game and swing speed.
5wood higher flight, 2hybrid short club length.

What are attempting to gain by going to the 2 hybrid? If control, there may be a possible thing there but the 5 wood will have better off center forgiveness.

5wood higher flight, 2hybrid short club length.

What are attempting to gain by going to the 2 hybrid? If control, there may be a possible thing there but the 5 wood will have better off center forgiveness.

I tend to hook my 5 wood so I’m leaning toward the 2 hybrid that doesn’t turn over as frequently. I can’t go wrong either way.

Good stuff Molten! It looks like you and I have similar thoughts about this version. It's great to see that they took what was great about the previous model and made legit improvements.

Thanks! This was a blast to review because I tried to love the OG but this was a great improvement.

Solid work Molten! Really good stuff in the review man! More forgiveness in that profile is a pretty big improvement, the jailbreak technology has been huge for Callaway in so many offerings now.

Yes sir. More forgiveness is subjective but I found plenty of distance on slight misses.

I loved the first version of the Apex hybrid and it seems like they improved on every aspect.

Thank you for the detailed review and it should help anyone make an informed decision on which way to go.

I just read @Molten’s review. Very nice writeup, Gary. I think it reflects very accurately my experiences with the new Apex hybrids back in February when I had an opportunity to play with the 20 and 23 degree versions.

I have to admit I didn’t focus a whole lot on sound with the Apex 19 but I’ve found it to be just fine. I really only notice sound if it’s amazing or it sounds way off.

Did my review create any questions or leave something unanswered for anyone? Happy to dive deep!

I have to admit I didn’t focus a whole lot on sound with the Apex 19 but I’ve found it to be just fine. I really only notice sound if it’s amazing or it sounds way off.

Did my review create any questions or leave something unanswered for anyone? Happy to dive deep!
Thoughts on having the hybrid cut down to iron length its replacing and either having a heavy weight hybrid shaft or matching iron shaft? All the way up to the highest loft these go.

Thoughts on having the hybrid cut down to iron length its replacing and either having a heavy weight hybrid shaft or matching iron shaft? All the way up to the highest loft these go.

I wouldn’t do that for my game because I prefer the iron head as low as I can go without losing confidence but it could be an option. I’d be surprised if it was a true plug-n-play without some real gapping issues to resolve.

I loved my Apex 5 hybrid so much today I ordered the 4 hybrid. I liked my Epic 4 and 5 hybrids, but they had a tendency to go more left than I wanted. The Apex hybrid goes straight as an arrow for me.

Definitely feels more like a long iron replacement rather than a mini-wood like the Epic hybrids, which is fine with me.

I loved my Apex 5 hybrid so much today I ordered the 4 hybrid. I liked my Epic 4 and 5 hybrids, but they had a tendency to go more left than I wanted. The Apex hybrid goes straight as an arrow for me.

Definitely feels more like a long iron replacement rather than a mini-wood like the Epic hybrids, which is fine with me.

These also have a much straighter flight for me vs the previous model. The last version I would often times have a hard draw and even a hook sometimes but I haven't seen that once with this one. It's been a HUGE improvement for me in that regard.

Hit the 20 again today against a G410 (I admit I am a Ping guy) and the Apex is every bit as good as anything on the market. Feel is better than any hybrid I’ve hit and distance is on par. My only hesitation in purchase is that I haven’t been custom fit and I’m usually a little flat plus I need to hit it off a tee. Excellent club and the favorite club that I do not own.

This bad boy is still trying to battle it’s way into my bag and it’s making a lot of progress. I’ve got a few head to head testings left but i love the height from a hybrid.

Got to see this club in action a few times Saturday since @jim54 has it in his bag.

We had a Par 3 playing 175 into the wind and you have to carry water that's about 150 out. I opted for my 3H to play it safe and landed in the right greenside bunker. Jim hit his Apex 4H and safely landed on the green for a 2-putt par.

I asked to look at it at address and I just couldn't fall in love with it. Smaller head, smaller crown, just not for me.

But the club does fly and he hit it well quite a few times when needed.

Got to see this club in action a few times Saturday since @jim54 has it in his bag.

We had a Par 3 playing 175 into the wind and you have to carry water that's about 150 out. I opted for my 3H to play it safe and landed in the right greenside bunker. Jim hit his Apex 4H and safely landed on the green for a 2-putt par.

I asked to look at it at address and I just couldn't fall in love with it. Smaller head, smaller crown, just not for me.

But the club does fly and he hit it well quite a few times when needed.

That took a turn I didn’t expect to see - you don’t like the smaller head/crown? Is it that you prefer a more fw look?

That took a turn I didn’t expect to see - you don’t like the smaller head/crown? Is it that you prefer a more fw look?
I simply don’t. I’ve had so much success with the Rogue hybrids that I just like the bigger crown.

I definitely don’t like a FW look at all. Sort of the same thing. Thinner face that I just don’t like hence why I just switched to a 2H.

I don’t quite remember if the previous Apex Hybrid had a Pro version but that’s what this looks like to me. A Pro style looking hybrid with a more compact shape behind the ball, to me geared for the lower handicap. I’m also not saying a high handicapper couldn’t game these I’m just saying for me it’s too small/compact.

The Rogue has been great for me and has the bulk behind the ball that I like at address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I simply don’t. I’ve had so much success with the Rogue hybrids that I just like the bigger crown.

I definitely don’t like a FW look at all. Sort of the same thing. Thinner face that I just don’t like hence why I just switched to a 2H.

I don’t quite remember if the previous Apex Hybrid had a Pro version but that’s what this looks like to me. A Pro style looking hybrid with a more compact shape behind the ball, to me geared for the lower handicap. I’m also not saying a high handicapper couldn’t game these I’m just saying for me it’s too small/compact.

The Rogue has been great for me and has the bulk behind the ball that I like at address.

Oh I get it and I wasn’t trying to push anything. I’m always curious about what people like and what they don’t so I can try to consider all prospectives in the future. Definitely play what works and you like!

The larger heads are very popular and I really need to try them a bit more here and there (it worked this year in irons for me).

Finally hit this today. I would definitely play this short as more an iron replacement than fairway wood.

All said, I enjoyed it.

Finally hit this today. I would definitely play this short as more an iron replacement than fairway wood.

All said, I enjoyed it.

I’ve enjoyed it way more than the OG - way more playable over a wider range of handicaps. This may replace 5 iron in the bag.

Oh I get it and I wasn’t trying to push anything. I’m always curious about what people like and what they don’t so I can try to consider all prospectives in the future. Definitely play what works and you like!

The larger heads are very popular and I really need to try them a bit more here and there (it worked this year in irons for me).
Didn’t take it that way brotha you’re good, I like discussing hybrids.

Trust me I wish I could hit the Apex hybrid. I tried it a few times at a demo day but when I see the small crown I was already lacking confidence to hit it. Just put it back in the demo bag haha.

i have the 2hb in lefty..

i have the 2hb in lefty..

id post photos but they wont let me yet

Had some shots off the tee and rough today leading to some positive results. The ball just flies off the face whether it’s off the tee or out of the rough. Twice I had 250ish away from the rough and just wanted to get it to around 50-75 yards out for a short wedge shot. Gave it a pretty aggressive swing and both times I had 35 and 15ish to go! Hybrids usually draw for me, but this club simply didn’t and even faded a bit on one shot.

I’ve enjoyed it way more than the OG - way more playable over a wider range of handicaps. This may replace 5 iron in the bag.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the OG? I still game one and probably will for a long time. It is the first hybrid I have ever been able to hit consistently well with control and the 4h gaps perfectly for me between my 5 iron and 5 wood.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the OG? I still game one and probably will for a long time. It is the first hybrid I have ever been able to hit consistently well with control and the 4h gaps perfectly for me between my 5 iron and 5 wood.

I played the original way before I should have. I didn’t find the center enough and it was too penal when I strayed. It was typically the club I pulled when I had already messed up off the tee and I needed a lot of forgiveness in that spot.

I might like it better these days but I typically love me some technological assistance.

Both are solid clubs, no question.

It’s been awhile since I have been able to play but I was able to get out today. I only hit my Hybrids twice but each time I did the results were excellent. I am finding the Apex hybrids to be fade biased so I was setting up for the fade and hitting these nice penetrating 5 to 10 yard fades. These are not distance monsters for me but gap perfectly with the rest of my set.

Back