2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

i took a handful of swings with jim54’s apex with fuji atmos blue 8s (don’t recall the loft). i really liked it. dispersion side to side was great, just a little fall off fade which is a flight i like in a hybrid. i still wish the size was just a little smaller, but i know it’s something i could get used to quickly. great club here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
23* it is for sale ...actually I hit it all weekend and had great results, not the arrow apparently..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Used it on the range but honestly wasn't at any distances during my Saturday round that allowed me to pull it. Perhaps the 2nd shots on 2 and 17 when I messed up a 5w would have been a great spot, and probably should have, but I got greedy and went for the greens. Did notice the yardages I was getting on the range was a little less than I am used to, but could just be balls. Wasn't making great contact either, just need to hit a bucket of balls to get the "what the heck are you doing?" out of my system. Still love the sound of a well struck shot with it!

Has anyone tried a different shaft compared to the Catalyst 70? I use 70 gram shaft in driver and 3w and 120 grams in my irons and I feel like the 70 gram catalyst fits in weirdly in these. It just feels kind of light and clubhead-heavy if that makes sense.

@bluehen2006 I saw you have similar spec shafts in your clubs, have you encountered this issue?

Has anyone tried a different shaft compared to the Catalyst 70? I use 70 gram shaft in driver and 3w and 120 grams in my irons and I feel like the 70 gram catalyst fits in weirdly in these. It just feels kind of light and clubhead-heavy if that makes sense.

@bluehen2006 I saw you have similar spec shafts in your clubs, have you encountered this issue?

I never really noticed it before but gripping both my hybrid and my apex 5i tonight I did feel a similar type of difference. Measured both on the scale and it confirmed the 5i was heavier at 427g vs 379g for the hybrid so it made sense. Hybrid did feel more head-heavy while the iron had a more fluid feel from grip to head.

Can’t say I’ve noticed this feeling on the course though but last round or two I haven’t been needing to pull hybrid. Playing Saturday and I think a hole or two where hybrid might be a good choice to make off the tee so I should have more feedback after the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pulled this club a few times Saturday during my round, used out of the rough twice, and off the tee and fairway once each time. All 3 shots from the ground had draws on them, with one turning a little too much and going OB. I was proud of myself to give a lot of room on my last shot since the correct side to miss on that hole was right, but it drew the perfect amount and left me with a great ~70 shot into the green and a 2 putt par. Felt like I knew what I was doing.

The tee shot ended up pushing it right over the trees, so idk if it was the way I lined up, but I was shocked since all my others hits drew, so I did aim right. Probably didn't commit to turning the club over, since the hole is a little narrow and maybe I got scared to draw it too much. In hindsight, the hole is pretty short, and iron was probably the smarter move there. Feel wise I didn't notice the "head heavy" aspect of the club like I commented on in the previous post, but maybe it's not something that goes on in my head while I am playing. Pleased with the shots for the most part, I almost want to get to a 205-220 yard par 3 and give it a go... almost!!

Hit one of the best 3h I have ever hit during the Tahoe trip on a par 5 and was just off the green to the left, which set me up for a relatively easy birdie.

Because the courses I’ve been playing aren’t super long, I haven’t been hitting the Apex off the deck that much lately, but I have been using it off the tee. The 3h has been absolutely great off the tee. It does launch pretty low off the deck for me, so it works best when I’m chasing a ball up. But the 4h is just about perfect in that spot.

Love everything about these - feel, performance, look. They’ve been absolutely fantastic for me since I put them in the bag

I've committed to giving honest feedback on all of my Grandaddy equipment and unfortunately this club has been a struggle for me. With the previous Apex model it was super consistent and I knew I was going to get a draw shape and knew the exact distance. My biggest challenge is the fade bias that I was seeing. That probably wouldn't be a huge deal but I can't seem to get a consistent fight with it. Sometimes it will be straight, sometimes fade and sometimes I'll get a draw/hook (which of course is the golfer).

On the plus side I've hit some absolutely beautiful shots with it both from the fairway and rough. It's very easy to elevate for me and while it does seem to spin a little less I haven't had trouble holding greens on good shots.

Overall though I haven't been able to build up the confidence I had with the previous version. I've actually been toying with having a UT in that spot so we'll see how they compare.

Pulled this once Friday and if I had more room right I think it would have worked great. Long par 5 that started with a dogleg right then finishes going left with around 200 to go. Unfortunately my 3w faded it's only time on this hole so I was left with a shot that would have started along the right tree line and if it didn't turn enough it would go directly into the trees left OB. Thought about just taking my medicine and chipping out then use hybrid, but I got cute and tried to really slice a hybrid. Went straight ahead!! Enjoy the feel and weight of the club and good shots just feel great off the hands. Hoping to use this club more, but really haven't the last few rounds so the comfort isn't 100% there yet.

KEV;n8876168 said:
I've committed to giving honest feedback on all of my Grandaddy equipment and unfortunately this club has been a struggle for me. With the previous Apex model it was super consistent and I knew I was going to get a draw shape and knew the exact distance. My biggest challenge is the fade bias that I was seeing. That probably wouldn't be a huge deal but I can't seem to get a consistent fight with it. Sometimes it will be straight, sometimes fade and sometimes I'll get a draw/hook (which of course is the golfer).

On the plus side I've hit some absolutely beautiful shots with it both from the fairway and rough. It's very easy to elevate for me and while it does seem to spin a little less I haven't had trouble holding greens on good shots.

Overall though I haven't been able to build up the confidence I had with the previous version. I've actually been toying with having a UT in that spot so we'll see how they compare.

This one falls into the "when it's good it's great, when it's bad it's really bad" camp for me as of late due to the fade bias. I've been fighting a block, working on some swing changes and these haven't been great for me. Working on coming from the inside but while working on this my biggest struggle is not turning the club over - these are exacerbating the problem.

But... When I do the flight is just perfect. It's more me than the club, but I'm a bit more hesitant to take the 3h off the tee, for instance.

Reactions: KEV
Pulled it twice off the tee yesterday, with great results. First use was on 11 where it was 245 to reach marsh, so instead of hoping I didn't smash a 5W, I pulled hybrid and put one 210 out there, then hit a great shot off the tee on 13 that barely made the rough but had a controlled draw, just started too far right. Liked using it off the tee, should be a choice I use more often.

Played some winter golf at a relatively short course today, so good time to revisit my thoughts on these. In short: I think these are the most complete hybrid I’ve ever played. The distance is 100 percent there - but they’re also great from a control standpoint. And they’re forgiving for something that veers towards a players profile. Feel is great - nice and solid on well-struck shots.

I really feel like they’re an iron replacement more than a tiny wood, and that’s what I’m looking for in a hybrid. These will be in the bag for quite a while.

Looking forward to giving these two a go this weekend, just picked them up on CPO “like new” and they are.

66E65404-2ACC-46A6-99A0-A6101A4AC034.jpeg

7C60FE81-82A2-4D2C-8C68-A1903C95406D.jpeg

Mine should be here tomorrow. I also ordered a 3H and 4H in "Like New" condition.

Was able to get out to the range Sunday and gave this a go for about 5-6 balls. Had some issues with a few going off the toe due to user error, but once I moved myself a little closer to the ball. Bomb city! Can't wait to use it this spring again!

callaway pre-owned also just put back up a big FW and Hybrid sale.

Wanted to add that even though when you buy these now on CPO it says comes with the universal Callaway headcover, mine came with the original 2019 Apex Hybrid headcovers. Thought that was nice by Callaway.

View attachment 8929350

Love the size.

Also first ust mamiya shaft

View attachment 8929351

I like the size too, these are slightly larger than the original Apex hybrids but still have that no offset look.

I was comparing this morning the Apex19 3H to my Ping G410 3H and prefer the Apex19 look (smaller size and slight if any offset). I don't hoard clubs anymore, already boxed up the Ping and sending it out for the trade in.:)

I have the :callaway: Apex 2, 3, and 4 hybrid in the Catalyst shafts (put 2 out of 3 of them in bag depending on course). I have never played a hybrid before because I never felt comfortable playing them and preferred irons. I love these!!!!!!:love::love::love::love::love:

Great trajectory of the tee or the deck. Very consistent and workable for me. I think the smaller head (as compared to the rogue or super hybrid) just makes such a difference for me.

First Hybrid I have ever felt positive about.

3h - what a fun club. Even a little fade biased for me with current setup. Surprisingly easy to hit.

Nice! I'd love to try mine with Recoils in them. Might have to check CPO for a Recoil 3 or 4 and compare to mine with Catalyst.

I've got the Catalyst in mine and love them. If I went heavier with irons I'd LOVE to try these with the recoil 95.

I've got the Catalyst in mine and love them. If I went heavier with irons I'd LOVE to try these with the recoil 95.
Catalyst have been fine for me but I love Recoils and would be interested in trying something in the 80 or 90g class especially once I go back to Recoil 110s in my irons

Back