Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

This past year I finally put a hybrid back into my bag, replacing my 4i. I was having issues with hooking all the time and figured out the proper placement of the ball to use that club. It worked out that it was my 195-205 club the majority of the time. The loft was 25*, but also with a shaft that wasnít fit for me (yet another hand me down from my dad many years ago), but I hit it very well in 2018, so I was excited to see if I got fit into the Big Bertha Hybrid, or the new 2019 Apex Hybrid.

I was fit into the irons right before a hybrid so we first started with matching the hybrid to the iron set if the numbers worked out. I was needing a gap in the 205-220 range due to my 5i going nearly a club longer (more to come on that). Jason gave me a 23* and the first few shots felt like rockets were launched. Managed to get my 3rd shot out there 215 carry with 230 total, BINGO!! Gap filled!!

Adding the Jailbreak technology into the Apex hybrid gave me more forgiveness and also hits that didnít feel center still allowed the ball to flight farther than I expected. This is something I have noticed with other clubs that utilized Jailbreak in them. The club profile is smaller than Iím used to, bur not necessarily a bad thing. Would have preferred a Chevron alignment aid but it wouldnít be a deal breaker if I was in the market for one. Pairing this with the Catalyst shaft in stiff flex adds more weight than my prior club, which helps me keep my swing more stable. I can sometimes try to overswing and this extra weight helps stop me from ďforcingĒ a shot.

This club also has a special place in my heart, as it was the first club I swung during official Grandaddy competition. Played the 17th on Dye as my first hole, about 215 yard par 3 with water all along the left! Perfect, it my hybrid distance, and I have a tendency to hook hybrids. Wouldnít you know I hit the best hybrid shot all year with the smallest draw right to the center of the green. Even got the Zoo Crew joking about my cap!

There are a lot of holes at the course I frequent the most locally that call for a 225ish shot, which used to be a 5w for me. Now that the Apex hybrid is pretty close to that yardage, I feel like this might be a go to club more frequency than in the past. Iím excited to see how the extra yard out of a hybrid will help my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PROUD ALUMNI of Team THP in the 2018 GRANDADDY #100Birdies10kLaughs #Captain'sApprentice thanks to and

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag

Driver: EPIC FLASH 9* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
    3W: EPIC FLASH w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
    5W: EPIC FLASH w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
    Hybrid: Apex 23* w/ Catalyst 70 6.0
    Irons: Apex 5-AW w/ Elevate Tour Stiff
    Wedges: MD4 54W 58W DG S200 115
    Stroke Lab Seven S / EXO Stroke Lab Seven S
    Chrome Soft / "G" Truvis Chrome Soft X / ERC Soft

Comment

This might be the callaway club Iím most excited about this year.

F9 Driver - 9*
      F9 Fairway - 14.5*
      F9 Irons - 4-G (Modus 105s)
      KING Black Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)
      Stroke Lab #7s

Comment

Definitely looks bigger than the last iteration, anyone have an OG apex they can take a side by side of?
        WITB:
        TaylorMade
        - M6 9.0 -
        UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 77F5
        TaylorMade - Original One 13.5 - Fujikura Evolution V X
        PING - G410 19.0/22.0 - Alta CB 70S
        Callaway - Apex CF19 Combo 5-PW - True Temper Elevate X100
        Cleveland - RTX4 Raw 48M/54M/60XL - DG TI S400
        SWAG
        - Tour Proto Savage Too -
        Center-Shaft 373g
        Taylormade - 2019 TP5x

Comment

Originally posted by Alez367 View Post
          Smaller than both.
          Agreed.

Originally posted by Jman View Post
          Definitely looks bigger than the last iteration, anyone have an OG apex they can take a side by side of?
          It is ever so slightly taller and deeper than my Hogan VKTR, which was very similar (IIRC) to my original Apex hybrid.
          Captain, Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy
          #100Birdies10kLaughs

Team THP:
          PhillyV (The AssCap), ArmyGolf, dacatalyst41, Shanewu, BlueHen2006, KEV, mpeterson, Boder, Phil75070, rogt, ttucliffhanger, dazeedmonds

In my Shadow Fuse or Alpha Convoy Grandaddy cart bag:
          Driver: EPIC Flash Sub Zero, Project X Smoke, 6.0
          FW: EPIC Flash, Project X Smoke, 6.0
          Hybrids: Apex 3h & 4h, PX Catalyst 6.0
          Irons: Apex Forged '19, UST Recoil ZT9 460, F3
          Wedges: 54* MD4 and 58* PM Grind 2.0, UST Recoil 95, F3 (tipped)
          Putter: Toulon Memphis
          Ball: Chrome Soft CS Truvis and ERC

Comment

I would say itís a streamlined version of the OG apex. Better contours and framing of the ball and the all ball is [emoji1360]

Testing Project X Catalyst 100g 6.0 shafts - Thank you THP/PX Crew

Proud Supporter & Captain of Team So. Cal. in the 2017 THP Regional Rivalry - So. Cal vs Nor. Cal.

Participant 2016
            Championship - TPC Las Vegas!
            Proud Winner of the custom testor shaft used for 2017 THCE w/ Project X
            Proud to be part of 2018 HandCrafted Experience with

sigpic

Comment

Definitely beefier than the previous version, will have to give it a try to see if I like it as much as the OG
              THE ULTIMATE UNOFFICIAL GATHERING IS BACK FOR 2019!!!

Check out the Official ULTIMATE GATHERING Thread located in the Golf Courses, Course Reviews, THP Events & Local Outings Section!!!

WITB:

Driver:
              G400 MAX 11.5*
              Woods: Rogue Heavenwood
              Hybrids: N/A

Irons:
              585 Irons 5-AW with Recoil 780 ES SmacWrap shafts
              Wedges: RTX4 54/58
              Putter: Custom
              Ball:
              Q-Star Tour

Comment

Apex is Noticeably smaller and more of a traditional hybrid shape compared to the bertha. To me Bertha looked like a small fairway wood.
                @Tenputt
                Proud member of Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy with

In my Grandaddy Alpha Convoy bag

Driver Epic Flash w/ HZRDUS SMOKE
                Fairway Epic Flash 15 w/ EvenFlow Green
                Hybrid Apex 2H, 4H
                Irons Apex Forged CF19 5- PW
                Wedges MD4 48, 52 PM Grind 2.0 56
                Putter Stroke Lab Marxman
                Ball Chrome Soft

Comment

that's what i was thinking too... maybe just the glossy paint?
                  Custom fit by Danny Le at @ #ShaftUp2
                  Epic SZ 10.5* N/S Helium Prototype 59g F5

Rogue 3W VTS Silver 8F4
                  Steelhead XR 5W VTS Silver 8F4
                  Apex 4-AW Recoil 780 ES f4
                  CBX 54* Wedge Proto
                  RTX3 58* Wedge Proto
                  Big T V-Line CS

Proud member of #TeamRedemption

Comment

Callaway 2019 Apex Hybrid Initial Thoughts / Review / Feedback

Introduction

A little bit about my golfing self before diving into the hybrids. I am currently around an 11-12 handicap. I'd consider myself an average ball striker who struggles to hit lower lofted irons like 4i and 3i, so hybrids definitely appeal to me. I swing my driver around 95-98 mph and my 7i around 82-83mph according to my most recent fitting at the ECPC. Before gaming the new 2019 Apex 3h and 4h (which I was extremely fortunate to receive at The Grandaddy brought to us by the incredible folks at Callaway and THP), I had been playing the previous Apex 3h and 4h for about 2 years. During that time, I played both hybrids paired with the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80 hybrid shaft in stiff flex. My good misses with the previous Apex hybrids are typically straight pushes. Over time, I liked these clubs more and more, and my confidence with them peaked a couple months ago. Like many other Apex users, I really like the smaller profile (compared to many other hybrids) and matte black finish along with the performance and sound, so it was exciting to think Callaway may have improved upon the design.

Technology & Looks

I remember seeing a leaked photo of the new Apex with Jailbreak and being really excited to learn more about it. It was surprising at first that Callaway squeezed Jailbreak in such a small footprint, but I think they did have to increase the size of the Apex a little to make it work. This size increase could have actually been for other reasons too, and it's worth noting that the slightly bigger footprint is more noticeable at least to me when you compare the old and new soles than when comparing the top lines. As a matter of fact, I thought they were the same size until I started taking side-by-side photos for this review (photos at bottom of thread).

You'll have to look elsewhere (such as the new Big Bertha hybrids) if you want adjustability, but that doesn't bother me at all. I doubt I'd ever adjust mine after a fitting anyway.

Overall, these are great looking hybrids. While I would love to see a matte version, I have no doubt I'll get used to these beauties rather quickly.

Performance & Forgiveness

My fitting concluded with me having the same setup as my previous bag, and for hybrids that meant a 3h and a 4h. The shafts I was fit into are the Project X Catalyst 70 in stiff flex. Unfortunately, I don't have my numbers from the fitting, but I know the 3h was hitting a good distance for me to gap well under my 3 wood. I haven't confirmed on a monitor, but based on what I've seen so far, I'll be playing the 3h as my 205-210 yard club (carry) and my 4h as my 195-200 yard club (carry). If these distances hold true for me, they'll be around 5 or so yards longer than the previous Apex hybrids.

Based on my experience so far, I believe golfers will be happy with the level of forgiveness these hybrids provide in such a small profile.

More feedback on the performance and forgiveness to come as I get more rounds and range time (and hopefully some launch monitor time) in.

Feel / Sound / Feedback

Unfortunately, I feel like I haven't paid adequate enough attention to the feel and sound of these hybrids to report much yet, but I can say I haven't noticed anything annoying or harsh about them. I'll make sure I pay closer attention and report back soon.

Durability

I've only seen normal wear and tear with the 3h and 4h during my initial testing. Initial product quality seems to be solid.

Previous Apex hybrid compared to 2019 Apex hybrid

The #SweaterWar got me into The 2018 Grandaddy!!!

#100Birdies10kLaughs #TheGrandaddy

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5* w/ EF Green 55 S flex
                    3-wood:
                    Epic Flash w/ EF Green 65 S flex
                    Hybrids / Irons:
                    Apex 19
                    3h/4h w/ Catalyst 70 S flex and 5i-AW w/ Catalyst 80 S flex graphite
                    Wedges:
                    54* MD4, 58* PM Grind 2.0
                    Putter:
                    Stroke Lab Three
                    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis (y&b)

Comment

Just edited my post and added them above.
                      The #SweaterWar got me into The 2018 Grandaddy!!!

#100Birdies10kLaughs #TheGrandaddy

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5* w/ EF Green 55 S flex
                      3-wood:
                      Epic Flash w/ EF Green 65 S flex
                      Hybrids / Irons:
                      Apex 19
                      3h/4h w/ Catalyst 70 S flex and 5i-AW w/ Catalyst 80 S flex graphite
                      Wedges:
                      54* MD4, 58* PM Grind 2.0
                      Putter:
                      Stroke Lab Three
                      Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis (y&b)

Comment

I have really enjoyed the limited amount of time I have had the the Apex hybrids so far. I currently am bagging a 2H in 18* and a 4H in 23* with Catalyst shafts. I did not see a big enough difference in distance between the 3 and the 4 so for optimal gapping my fitter decided to go 2 and 4. I donít have any solid numbers to speak of but these are a little longer then my previous hybrid and iron replacement. I would not say these are pure distance machines like the berthas. These hybrids are much more of a players hybrid in my opinion.
                        Proud member of Team THP in the 2018 Grandaddy with

In my Grandaddy Alpha Convoy bag

Driver Epic Flash w/ HZRDUS SMOKE
                        Fairway Epic Flash 15 w/ EvenFlow Green
                        Hybrid Apex 2H, 4H
                        Irons Apex Forged CF19 5- PW
                        Wedges MD4 48, 52 PM Grind 2.0 56
                        Putter Stroke Lab Marxman
                        Ball Chrome Soft

Comment

It looks really good. I'll hit this one for sure considering how much I enjoyed the first version. I need something to replace my 3W and I'm stuck between a 2H and adjustable 5W.
                          Driver: G400 Max Alta Stiff 10.5
                          Wood:
                          Hybrid: G400 3H, 4H 70gram Alta Stiff
                          Irons: i200 5-UW Tour Regular
                          Wedge: Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 SS, 60ES Tour Regular
                          Bag: Hoofer 14
                          Putter: Sigma G 35in
                          Rangefinder: GX2i3
                          Ball: Z Star

Comment

I was fit into a Apex 5h as a 5i replacement. I like it so much I may either replace it with a 4h or take out one of my wedges to add a 4h just for gapping purposes leading into my 5w as I am getting so much more distance with that than my old 5w.
                            Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5į (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
                            FWs: 3W (+1/N) Epic Flash* - 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
                            Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
                            Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
                            Wedges: 52įS* /56įC MD4 / 60į PM 2.0 Grind* - all w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
                            Putter: Stroke Lab Double Wide or Toulon Portland
                            Ball: ERC Soft or Chrome Soft
                            * Interchangeable - I carry 2 out of the three

Comment

Originally posted by mpeterson View Post
                              This thread will serve for reviews and discussion of the 2019 Callaway Apex Hybrids.

Iím headed to EPC and will save judgement for when I have in hand. But based these pics I have to say I am EXCITED!! I love me some hybrid like a fat kid loves cake.

Ddog: EPIC Flash 9* ProForce Tour V2
                              FWs: F8+ 3/4 Elements Proto-Type, Rogue 5W EVENFLOW
                              Irons: 785 Combo set
                              Wedges: King Black 50* & 54* w/
                              Flat stick: TOUR Spider
                              Ball: ​PRO V1x

Winning CAPTAIN OF #TeamParadise #morgancup2018

Comment

Originally posted by Tadashi70 View Post
                                I’m headed to EPC and will save judgement for when I have in hand. But based these pics I have to say I am EXCITED!! I love me some hybrid like a fat kid loves cake.
                                Really looking forward to your thoughts. I feel the same way about hybrids, and this one is as good as any I'd put in play in my short time with it.
                                Proud member of Team THP in the 2018 Granddaddy with

Driver: Epic Flash With Custom HZRDUS Smoke
                                Fairway: Epic Flash with Tensei Blue 75
                                Hybrids: '19 Apex 3h and 4h with Catalyst 70
                                Irons: Apex Forged 5-PW w/ Elevate 95
                                Wedges: MD4 48-54-58 w/ Modus 105
                                Putter: Stroke Lab Three
                                Ball: Chrome Soft X

Thanks to PX and THP for an incredible Handcrafted Experience!

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X