2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

Hit these again today. Wow. So easy. The 4h launched effortlessly. I was hitting Driver and 3w pretty low today and Apex would just straight launch. When I did hit it thin I would lose launch but still very playable and a little distance, 5 or 10 yards. These were a real pleasure to hit today and after I was done hitting the 4h it had me wishing I had the 5h too. So easy.

I have found no draw bias, at least with the 5h I have. I also like the glossy crown as it blends in better with the Epic Flash fairway woods. (I'm OCD so what can I say?) It is far different form the X2-Hot hybrid I was hitting, and in a good way. Nice high launch that settles quickly on the green. It is also a club that I am hitting for positioning on short par 4's or for 2nd shots on par 5's where accuracy is more important than distance.

Ive been waiting to see the update for this. It looks ok but i would have loved it if they went with the matte finish like the OG one. I play a x2hot pro 18° and it has a small profile which i like, looking at it would i safe to say this new one is a bigger head?
I hit my x2hot pro about 220m-240m and my mate says it my club thats smaller than the ball haha.

I've enjoyed having utility irons in the bag but this club has a good chance to bring me back to hybrids. I enjoyed the og apex very much

I was money with the hybrids at the range but struggled with them on the course today. From the range time the interesting thing was that I was seeing slightly higher trajectory and I was able to move the ball both ways on demand.

curious to read so many reports of low launch off the bottom of the face. i expect that from most clubs, but i thought jailbreak would help mitigate that. do you guys feel like this launches as low (or even lower) off thin shots than other hybrids you have gamed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

curious to read so many reports of low launch off the bottom of the face. i expect that from most clubs, but i thought jailbreak would help mitigate that. do you guys feel like this launches as low (or even lower) off thin shots than other hybrids you have gamed?
My memory of the original Apex hybrids was that they flew low. These are of a similar ilk, though I think I’m seeing some evidence of getting higher trajectory with these on properly struck balls than I saw with the originals.

Properly struck I get that "Oh wow!" feeling. I've only hit a low bullet once, laying up on a par 5. It was my 2nd hole of the day with no warm-up in temps in the mid 40's so it obviously caused by a very poor swing. I probably haven't played enough rounds or used it enough times to definitively say what one can expect.

I really wish they kept the same crown look from the older Apex. I'm OK with it being a bit bigger, that doesn't bother me at all. In the end, I'm not sure I will be jumping to this one from the original. Jailbreak is cool, but I'm a bit worried about what it is going to do to a club that adore.

I’m going to smash the ish out of this 2 (18°) hybrid. I may even preorder.

I really wish they kept the same crown look from the older Apex. I'm OK with it being a bit bigger, that doesn't bother me at all. In the end, I'm not sure I will be jumping to this one from the original. Jailbreak is cool, but I'm a bit worried about what it is going to do to a club that adore.

I think it's more of an evolution than a revolutionary change. To me it still plays like an iron replacement thanks to having a bit less bulge and roll than some other hybrids. I don't have enough swings with the previous Apex (since I already had a hybrid I absolutely loved) so I can't compare distance or forgiveness with any real confidence. However, I will say that my impressions are that it's a very similar club to that hybrid. I much preferred the Apex to any previous Callaway hybrid I tried, and I really like this one a lot.

I took it out 3-4 times today and I don't think I hit a bad shot with it. I've found them really easy to hit - the 3h off the deck has really surprised me. As I said in my initial review this was a slot in the bag that was going to be tough to improve on for me and my first impressions are that these have done it.

You being laid up is going to allow to you redesign your bag.

I haven't used this club a ton but what I saw on the simulator was well struck shots go relatively the same distance, maybe 5ish yards longer than the original, but the forgiveness seems better. I still see it subbing perfectly for that long iron replacement.

I have the original 2h so I would be interested in your thoughts after you get your egg and syrupy cast off. Get better soon, dude..we should play somewhere this summer!

Hmm. I will absolutely hit these but I'm actually a bit disappointed in the size. I'm such a fan of the original Apex head shape and size and to my eye these are quite a bit bigger.
I think my pictures don't represent the size well as the 2019 hybrid looks like it's more tilted back (face towards the sky more). It's hard to take a photo of one club to represent what people will see when they look down and even harder with two. If you are interested in these, seeing them in person to properly judge is a must.

I'll check it out in person. In the comparison pics above it looks to be even more shut than the previous model

posted from somewhere in the world on my phone
As has been stated, I think it's just the photos. It's difficult (at least for me) to properly capture the address position of a club that matches what everyone thinks is the normal address position. But I never thought the originals looked shut.

Freddie, bigger head screams draw bias and left miss for me. Did you see any of that? Besides the jailbreak tech, how do they compare to the XR pros?
I haven't seen that and I'd love to get a little more draw out of them at times. one of my best shots yesterday on a short par 4 was a baby draw with the 3h to around 230yds. Hoping the replicate it on the next hole, I of course blocked 2 in a row to the right (the first was OB). LOL

This is the only club I wasn't completely satisfied with today. I got very, very consistent distances with the 5h which replaces my 5i, but with the exception of one 2nd shot into a par 4 I was leaving every sot out to the right. Trajectory was great, distance what I would expect as a replacement for the 5i in the Apex '19s, It went right 4 of the 5 times I used it. I think some range time might be in order to figure out what I need to do to get this thing going where I aim.

For some reason I do enjoy matching my Driver, Fairway and Hybrids and while no doubt the Apex hybrid is baller.... I sort of wish that it was an Epic Flash hybrid

I'm getting a better idea of how these sound after hitting some really solid shots last Saturday. They don't have the solid "tink" of the OG Apex hybrids, but they do provide a solid "thwack" type sound.

For some reason I do enjoy matching my Driver, Fairway and Hybrids and while no doubt the Apex hybrid is baller.... I sort of wish that it was an Epic Flash hybrid

It's interesting - I think of my hybrids as an extension of my irons. Plus, I wasn't a huge fan of the Epic hybrid - I thought the Apex was a lot better, so I guess I'm happy it's the other way :act-up:

I don't know if the 2019 Apex hybrid is fade biased or maybe just neutral or fade biased compared to just about every other hybrid I'v played, but I have finally figured out what I need to do to hit this club (5h) consistently well and straight and I now love it. I can count on the preciseness of the yardage and the trajectory. The ball is exploding off the face and just bore into any headwind. As a result of what I am now seeing with this club I may not need to do anything different with regard to gapping between it and my 5w.

I have the original 2h so I would be interested in your thoughts after you get your egg and syrupy cast off. Get better soon, dude..we should play somewhere this summer!

I have the 2h 18* right now. The 2h fits a perfect gap between my 3w 240 yards and 4h 210 yards. I see very similar ball flights between the the 2h and the 4h. High.

I don’t have any experience with the OG Apex but this Apex is much easier to game then my previous 18* Adams pro hybrid. So much more forgiveness with the Apex.

I had a chance to take a few swings with the 20 degree version of this hybrid today and I cannot even hardly articulate how impressed I was. This is the hybrid I have been looking for for over a year. It sets up so nice and square to the ball, somewhat reminding me of the Titleist H2. It doesn’t look over large. It felt great. It also seemed very forgiving for its size and it was simply a rocket launcher for me. I could hit a high straight shot or turn it over without hooking it. Wow, I love this club.

I had a chance to take a few swings with the 20 degree version of this hybrid today and I cannot even hardly articulate how impressed I was. This is the hybrid I have been looking for for over a year. It sets up so nice and square to the ball, somewhat reminding me of the Titleist H2. It doesn’t look over large. It felt great. It also seemed very forgiving for its size and it was simply a rocket launcher for me. I could hit a high straight shot or turn it over without hooking it. Wow, I love this club.

shaft?

Just the stock Catalyst 70, stiff. It felt great.

that shaft is so freaking good.

Back