2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

I may just be an old man who hates change, but I don't like the shiny crown. I liked the matte black of the Apex.

With that said, I'll probably buy this guy. It's soooooo good. No reason not to.

I like the matte much better too. I also would still game it.

i mean this with respect but if you go left with this hybrid then no hybrid will ever work for you because damn, this thing go only straight or cuts. 3/3 in cutting a shot from a clean lie. Just crazy how much pop is in this club for being so small.

Definitely! Personally, as one who has played with your typical draw biased hybrids and setting up and swinging to overcome that to hit straight shots, it takes a little bit of time to learn how to hit a neutral biased hybrid. I am starting to rally like this club that I originally could not get along with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really happy with the Apex 19 version. I've picked up 5 yards on average. But what I like the most is how high and straight I am hitting it. At the most a baby draw with it compared to the original I was gaming. Distance consistency has been very good for me also. Most of my shots have been within 7 yards in length. A very good purchase and upgrade for me. The other thing I like is how the ball just jumps off the face, rises to a high flight, and lands softly on the green.

Anyone compare this to the ping hybrid? Just curious. I’m tempted to get the ping for the adjustability but it sits so incredibly shut when soled.

Are you saying the new 410 sits shut? That's very disappointing if so. The 400 sits square.

Distance consistency has been very good for me also. .........The other thing I like is how the ball just jumps off the face, rises to a high flight, and lands softly on the green.

Totally agree on both comments!

Are you saying the new 410 sits shut? That's very disappointing if so. The 400 sits square.

When i sat the 410 down in the shop, it leans dead shut to me. Ymmv i suppose... for me, it is a potential no go. I wont oust it until I can hit it though.

Hey Keno,

I take it back. Just looked at a 410 19 degree at Dicks and it sat perfectly square. So what do i know! Lol.

Finally got on the monitor to hit this one a bit. We were getting some weird spin numbers here and there, but on the balls that flew like I'm used to on course, I was seeing about 4000rpm spin with the 4h, which is ballpark where I see my spin with a 4i, so they're definitely in the long iron replacement category than max distance.

Gapping was just about perfect with my 5i as well. That club is going to be fantastic in the bag. The 3h I lost right a lot more than the 4, but as the monitor was informing me after pretty much every shot all day, I was leaving the face open through the bag. Going to wait before I draw any conclusions there in terms of bag setup.

I remember I really enjoyed the of Apex hybrids after a shaft change and butt trim to iron length. While I've enjoyed utility irons since, I may need to revisit this

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I remember I really enjoyed the of Apex hybrids after a shaft change and butt trim to iron length. While I've enjoyed utility irons since, I may need to revisit this

The iron replacement quality of the OG Apex hybo was legendary. If my next 19* experiment doesn’t work out I’m just going to go find an old head and go that way.

The iron replacement quality of the OG Apex hybo was legendary. If my next 19* experiment doesn’t work out I’m just going to go find an old head and go that way.
Yeah they played exactly how they should as a proper replacement. That's what a lot of people loved about them

Yeah they played exactly how they should as a proper replacement. That's what a lot of people loved about them

I still love mine and can't fathom replacing. Even if the newer version is better in some way, I just have a comfort level and know what to expect out of my OG apex.

Hzrdus black 85 6.0 right? Std length right?

Hzrdus black 85 6.0 right? Std length right?

Yeah I had the 3 and 4 hybrids with handcrafted black 85 6.0. They were so good I can't remember why I got out of them. Other than being a club ho that is... Lol

so so so good
I still love mine and can't fathom replacing. Even if the newer version is better in some way, I just have a comfort level and know what to expect out of my OG apex.

My only must keeps from my granddaddy bag on this trade In for the new apex combos. Even if not in the bag, I’ll never get rid of my 4 and 5.

I have been playing the 23 degree Apex this weekend. I think that for an iron replacement-type of iron, this is my all time favorite hybrid.

Last edited:
I have the 20 and love it. Won a closest to the pin with it this weekend.

These definitely have that iron replacement feel to me and that might be my favorite thing about them. Difference for me is probably coming down to forgiveness more than distance as compared to the OG Apex. I was striking the ball reasonably well the other day but still moving around the face and carry was right in the same range each time.

These definitely have that iron replacement feel to me and that might be my favorite thing about them. Difference for me is probably coming down to forgiveness more than distance as compared to the OG Apex. I was striking the ball reasonably well the other day but still moving around the face and carry was right in the same range each time.

Its just the spin numbers I've seen put out there with these worry me in the iron replacement role.

Its just the spin numbers I've seen put out there with these worry me in the iron replacement role.

I haven’t found them particularly low spin. I was 4000-4500 with the 4i which seems about spot on.

I had the chance to hit the new Apex hybrids with the reg catalyst today , i have the older 20, 23 and 25 Apex hybrids with reg Kuro shafts. The 5 hybrid is in and out depending on course and wind. At address i prefer the looks and feel/sound of the older model, not so shiny and smaller in look overall, i felt the new ones looked a bit closed at address? and the toe feels quite high?

With the numbers on trackman where it counts there was no benefit for me with the new models and dispersion. The old Apex hybrids still had better dispersion, feel and numbers for me so this duck wont be changing from the old hybrids. The spin numbers on the new ones where also down a bit as was the height and land angles, im a slow swinger as around 81mph on a 3H swing speed. i was getting into the land angles 40's with the old APexs 3H and 37 with the new ones.

Being a shot knocker hybrids are crucial to my game so to be honest i was a little disppointed as i was looking forward to these hoping they would give me a bit more zip off the face but they dont.. the old ones are still the money... i had to try though and apologies to them

I also hit the titlesit and ping 410 hybrids which didnt knock out the old Apex's

I still play the old CF16 apex/pro combos so will try the new irons,

I had the chance to hit the new Apex hybrids with the reg catalyst today , i have the older 20, 23 and 25 Apex hybrids with reg Kuro shafts. The 5 hybrid is in and out depending on course and wind. At address i prefer the looks and feel/sound of the older model, not so shiny and smaller in look overall, i felt the new ones looked a bit closed at address? and the toe feels quite high?

With the numbers on trackman where it counts there was no benefit for me with the new models and dispersion. The old Apex hybrids still had better dispersion, feel and numbers for me so this duck wont be changing from the old hybrids. The spin numbers on the new ones where also down a bit as was the height and land angles, im a slow swinger as around 81mph on a 3H swing speed. i was getting into the land angles 40's with the old APexs 3H and 37 with the new ones.

Being a shot knocker hybrids are crucial to my game so to be honest i was a little disppointed as i was looking forward to these hoping they would give me a bit more zip off the face but they dont.. the old ones are still the money... i had to try though and apologies to them

I also hit the titlesit and ping 410 hybrids which didnt knock out the old Apex's

I still play the old CF16 apex/pro combos so will try the new irons,

Interesting and nice feedback... I like to see the various opinions, because they differ so greatly. Personally, I found the new Apex hybrids to be better than the previous version with respect to feel, forgiveness, distance and peak height. I attributed it to Jailbreak. I say all of this with a caveat that I have not hit the old Apex hybrid for a couple of years, so I am going off of memory.

so i have a question for the members trying/demoing/gaming this hybrid:

it seems to me that the 2019 version is an iron replacement for current design model irons such has apex/apex pros/rogue/rogue pros while the previous version was an iron replacement for that current design model irons such a apex pros/x forged. I'm noticing more pop and launch and subsequent distance totals with this years model than i experienced before with previous model. Anyone seen the same? Anyone notice a distance increase that turned them off to the club thinking it was going too far for what gap they were looking at?

it seems to me that the 2019 version is an iron replacement for current design model irons such has apex/apex pros/rogue/rogue pros while the previous version was an iron replacement for that current design model irons such a apex pros/x forged. I'm noticing more pop and launch and subsequent distance totals with this years model than i experienced before with previous model. Anyone seen the same? Anyone notice a distance increase that turned them off to the club thinking it was going too far for what gap they were looking at?

I hadn’t thought about it that way, but I believe you have described it perfectly. For me, hybrid would serve as the perfect mid/long iron replacement into, say, a set of P790s. I think the question would be simply determining which loft of Apex slots into which iron spot. I had one of these in the bag a week ago. I was playing a set of P790s and the 23 degree Apex gapped nicely behind the 6 iron. I hit the P790 6 iron about 185 and the 23 degree Apex was seemed to give about 200. This was only three rounds of play and I pulled the Apex only 4 times.

I wish I had more experience with the clubs to give a more solid answer but I'm not seeing a huge jump in distance, maybe 3-5 yards. That probably does match up with the regular Apex but I'm not sure how it will correlate to my Pros. It's really not a big deal to me because the increase is relatively minor. It still fits that gap pretty nicely.

Back