2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

My experience is very limited, but perhaps when both are nutted, the old and newer versions of the Apex hybrid a not so different. However, since we mere mortals do not strike the ball with the consistency we would like, perhaps the Jailbreak technology in the newer version provides better ball speed retention on less than perfect strikes and gives some of us, at least me, the impression that the newer version is longer.

I have the #4 hybrid and I use it for my second shot on the par 5's on my home course. It gives me the opportunity to put my approach shot in position to make par or better. That shaves on average 3 shots off my round.

You are 100% about these being long iron replacements for the new Apex irons. I never even hit hybrids in my fitting. The fitter basically said he knew what to put me in to cover the long iron spots.

I can’t compare distances between the old and new Apex hybrids because I couldn’t hit the original version to save my life. I find the new version to be much more accessible to a mid term handicap swing. They are powerful and forgiving. I think the introduction of jailbird makes them a big step up from the originals. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to demo these on a Trackman this weekend and compare them with my Hogan VKTR. The original Apex was one of the few hybrids I ever liked prior to the VKTR because it served as a true iron replacement distance and had adequate spin. While I love the VKTR, it is not the most forgiving club so I hoped I could maintain the aspects I like (distance control, sufficient spin and look at address) while adding forgiveness. They definitely are more forgiving than the VKTR but the 23* Apex was showing 800-1000 RPM less spin which is a no go for me. I feel like Callaway moved this closer to the rest of their hybrid line than the original Apex was.

Hit them last night along with the Berthas, Cobra F9 and Rogue. I really liked the Apex, however, the Rogue was performing much better for me (couldn't get along with the Bertha, and need more time with the F9). Here is my sort of off topic question, when can we start to expect to see price drops on the Rogues? We have already seen it on the driver.....Maybe once these 50% rebate days are done?

so i have a question for the members trying/demoing/gaming this hybrid:

it seems to me that the 2019 version is an iron replacement for current design model irons such has apex/apex pros/rogue/rogue pros while the previous version was an iron replacement for that current design model irons such a apex pros/x forged. I'm noticing more pop and launch and subsequent distance totals with this years model than i experienced before with previous model. Anyone seen the same? Anyone notice a distance increase that turned them off to the club thinking it was going too far for what gap they were looking at?

Little late popping into the thread for one of my favorite clubs to respond to this, but I think these gap about perfectly with the CF19 (at least for me). If I recall, you've got a full set of the pros, correct? I could see in that case the gapping being a bit off club-to-club with the pros.

Love this picture

f31e8c9d1a3bd7da57a03e81b72060e4.jpg

As much as I feel it will not work long term I am toying with the idea of a 4 to try yet another hybrid.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

In true Internet Golfer fashion when the game leaves me I buy something new to break the funk.

Put a bid on a 4 and he took it damnit, might be a fun club in Charleston in the wind. Should have it in a few days so maybe get a round in with it before going to the party.

Actually what really inspired me was watching @cobrax51 just stripping his, just fun to watch.

In true Internet Golfer fashion when the game leaves me I buy something new to break the funk.

Put a bid on a 4 and he took it damnit, might be a fun club in Charleston in the wind. Should have it in a few days so maybe get a round in with it before going to the party.

There are absolutely worse clubs to have a random bid accepted than the Apex 4h. I'm still taming the 3h - little inconsistent with it, but the 4h has been absolutely point and shoot for me. Love, love, love that club.

In typical Hybrid fashion for me I hit this 4 times today and 2 of them were stellar one off the tee and one off the deck.

The other two were throw this thing in the woods shots, now I had no swing today except for the Driver so I am going to hold off on throwing it in the woods for a bit, but I can see a shaft change coming.

The Catalyst 70 6.0 is not real friendly to me, I have found a Atmos blus 85X that might make the cut. But for what I paid for it I can experiment and not feel bad.

This is going to be a club for me to watch this season. So far in the simulator it's the one club that I've really struggled with. It's completely been a swing issue but it seems to happen more often with this than the rest of my bag.

Overall though the performance reminds me a lot of the previous model on good swings. I'm still seeing a 3-5 yard gain in distance which could be attributed to the slightly lower spin. It's still going to fit that long iron spot extremely well as long as I can get it working for me. I do wish they would have stuck with the matte black finish but so far I've been able to get used to it indoors.

Love this picture

f31e8c9d1a3bd7da57a03e81b72060e4.jpg

I really have to give this a swing soon. That photo just makes it so intriguing.

Actually what really inspired me was watching @cobrax51 just stripping his, just fun to watch.
You!? Picked up a hybrid!? Hahaha Yes!

Yes again, hit it a couple of times yesterday at Countryside and it did alright. I am going to change the Shaft from the Catalyst 70 to a ATMOS Blue 85 just for fun. It is quite a bit longer than what I can hit the 4 iron off the deck so maybe it will hit the gap I need between the 5 iron and 7 wood.

You!? Picked up a hybrid!? Hahaha Yes!

In typical Hybrid fashion for me I hit this 4 times today and 2 of them were stellar one off the tee and one off the deck.

The other two were throw this thing in the woods shots, now I had no swing today except for the Driver so I am going to hold off on throwing it in the woods for a bit, but I can see a shaft change coming.

The Catalyst 70 6.0 is not real friendly to me, I have found a Atmos blus 85X that might make the cut. But for what I paid for it I can experiment and not feel bad.

That has been my experience so far with the ‘19 Apex hybrid. Usually I hit a couple of really poor shots early in the round and I’m ready to throw it in the nearest lake. Then, out of the blue I’ll hit a couple of great shots with it. It definitely has been a love/hate relationship with it to date.

Looks like I’ll pull the trigger on the 23° tomorrow. Weather is breaking and im pumped!

That has been my experience so far with the ‘19 Apex hybrid. Usually I hit a couple of really poor shots early in the round and I’m ready to throw it in the nearest lake. Then, out of the blue I’ll hit a couple of great shots with it. It definitely has been a love/hate relationship with it to date.

That's been my experience in the simulator this winter also. For some reason my janky swings have been popping up with this club most often. I'm guessing it's just an issue with me but I'll keep an eye out this season.

Darn it the ATMOS blue shaft shows delivering tomorrow but I doubt it will be in the morning and give me time to pop it in, just going to have to roll with the Catalyst for the weekend.

Not that is not a great shaft just bit light for my taste in a short club, I want to hit hard.

A little better results today. I know it's me. I just have to figure out how to hit a neutral bias hybrid and keep it straight or draw it a little.

I wasn't real sure about the head shape looking at it in hand but behind the ball it looks perfect to my eye.

2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

This club continues to shine for me. I was hitting the ball really well the other day, but there were a few shots with this one that really stood out. First and foremost was on the third hole - I had just pumped a ball OB on a par 5 and followed it up with a drive right down the middle. So, I'm sitting lying 3, about 220 out, to a green protected by water on the left. Not much room to miss if I wanted to go at the green. Figuring I didn't have much to lose I took the 3h out of the bag and caught it a good bit on the toe - even with the mishit I had my par putt.

232abad29d1827377ca5ef80066657f1.jpg

I also took the 4h out to hit spots on a few tee shots and could not have hit the ball any straighter, and set myself up for good looks at birdie on those holes.

I had a pretty good first outing with my Apex 4h today which was nice to see since it was my biggest concern. I only used it 3 times, twice from the tee and once from the fairway. The first tee shot was a just a little push with a slight fade that went about 215 yards and caught the right side of the fairway. My next shot was from the fairway where I saw my typical 5-7 yard draw that again went about 215 yards.

The final shot was the one that impressed me most. I absolutely adored the previous model but my biggest gripe was when my swing was off I would hit these toey hooks that really overcooked and went way left. My last shot with this was from the tee and was one of those toey, hooky swings. The ball did indeed go left but it was more of a hard draw vs. a big hook that I would expect from the previous model. I've said that the forgiveness seems to have been improved with this model and it sure seemed like it today.

It was also great to see a consistent 215-220 yard distance from this. The ball flight was a mid flight and seemed to be very similar to what I saw with the previous model. It seems like it's going to continue the tradition and be that long iron replacement like the previous version which is exactly what I look for.

I’ve been fighting the ‘19 Apex with everything going right and continuing to fade even more. I finally decided to give up on it, at least for now, and replaced it with my old and trusty X-Hot 4h which I always seem to hit extremely well. Until I can get some range time to work with the Apex this is what I’m going with.

Back