2019 Callaway Apex Hybrid

I’m planning to snag one of these...just wanting to see Pings new 410 hybo and DI before I pull the trigger. Also need to see what Uncle Sam has for me in the way of taxes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been planning on heading to the practice facility next week. I'll try to get some numbers.
Thank you brother!

I'll try doing that the next time I go. I had actually compared and taken screenshots of my new one vs. the previous model but my swing was ugly and it wasn't a great day to compare.

It seemed like the numbers on well struck shots were pretty similar, maybe a gain of 3-5 yards with the new model. For me it's what I wanted to see because I simply want the Apex to fill a gap.

Where it seemed to improve was forgiveness. My typical mishits are toe side and the original Apex would be an overcooked hook when I got toey. In the few swings I've taken so far this one doesn't seem to overhook as much and seems to keep up ball speed a little better.

With that said the hybrid is probably the club I've swung the least so these are very early thoughts.

Awesome, much appreciated Kev! The forgiveness and jailbreak here excites me, but I fear them being , FOR ME, too low launch and spin.

Thank you brother!

Awesome, much appreciated Kev! The forgiveness and jailbreak here excites me, but I fear them being , FOR ME, too low launch and spin.

Jman, perhaps that is where your shaft choice comes in play? I have the OG and reshafted it with the KBS proto 85X and it dropped my launch and spin more than I likely should have. The original shaft had me launching/spinning the ball a fair amount higher. I think Callaway does a nice job choosing shafts for these hybrids. The Catalyst felt very good when I briefly demoed it. My only concern might be it being a tad on the light weight side.

Jman, perhaps that is where your shaft choice comes in play? I have the OG and reshafted it with the KBS proto 85X and it dropped my launch and spin more than I likely should have. The original shaft had me launching/spinning the ball a fair amount higher. I think Callaway does a nice job choosing shafts for these hybrids. The Catalyst felt very good when I briefly demoed it. My only concern might be it being a tad on the light weight side.

Shaft isn’t going to make as much of a difference as the head though, the head is the ground floor of it all.

Yeah, it plays a role in tweaks, but the bigger picture is the head profile itself.

I loooooooooove the OG apex, so this is a club I’ve been keen on since we hear rumors, just need a little more longer term feedback before I jump.

finally got a chance to see these in person. gotta say, i was pretty disappointed. i’m already gaming a hybrid that pushes the limits of what i can handle size wise, and these aren’t going in the right direction. i’ll still hit it, but on aesthetics alone i am not very excited.

ninja edit: silver face? what year is this?! no idea why they did that, but compared to others i found it to be close to a deal breaker unless somehow these outperform others by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
finally got a chance to see these in person. gotta say, i was pretty disappointed. i’m already gaming a hybrid that pushes the limits of what i can handle size wise, and these aren’t going in the right direction. i’ll still hit it, but on aesthetics alone i am not very excited.

ninja edit: silver face? what year is this?! no idea why they did that, but compared to others i found it to be close to a deal breaker unless somehow these outperform others by a long shot.

Silver face??

Silver face??

i guess it’s not really. but there was a sheen to it that really stood out at address and i didn’t like it at all. maybe the lighting in the store, but won’t that be worse outdoors?

I’m right there with you in terms of size, but I like it. My favorite hybrid ever was the X2Hot Pro and that one was tiny.

I guess these are true iron replacements I didn’t expect a big footprint. If that’s what you want/need then there’s the Bertha line.

And I need to go look at it again because the silver face didn’t stand out to me.

I’m right there with you in terms of size, but I like it. My favorite hybrid ever was the X2Hot Pro and that one was tiny.

I guess these are true iron replacements I didn’t expect a big footprint. If that’s what you want/need then there’s the Bertha line.

And I need to go look at it again because the silver face didn’t stand out to me.

i take it back. it’s not silver. but there’s a contrast that i didn’t like at all.

i take it back. it’s not silver. but there’s a contrast that i didn’t like at all.

I’m intrigued now, I need to go back and look.

Give them a swing and see what you think. I couldn’t hit the original Apex hybrids to save my life. They were too small for my eye and a bit demanding for my skill level. I came from Rogues, which are bigger and kind of expected to be in a bigger profile hybrid (especially considering how truly gawdawful my swing was during the fitting). Jailbreak definitely helps here, the hybrids are quite accessible. Now if it’s purely aesthetics then that’s another story. The good news is there are plenty of options available to you in bigger profiles (FWIW, Army and Dazedmunds both rave about their Bertha hybrids, if you want to look for bigger profile within the Callaway lineup).

My initial reaction was pretty similar. My prior hybrid was and Adams pro and it is very traditional shaped and small. The Apex in comparison was bigger with the higher squared off toe, not something I was used to looking at.

I got used to looking down at the Apex real quick and also noticed quite a few strikes were out towards that squared off area. Safe to safe the club builders at Callaway built them like that for a reason.

So far these hybrids have been great for me, straight and very easy to launch.

Of all the equipment I was fit into, so far the 2019 Apex hybrid has been my least favorite. Driver, fairways, irons, wedges, putter, ball, I just can't find anything to negative about even if I were to nitpick other than the color scheme on the driver and fairway woods.

Just about every hybrid I've played over the years has been draw biased, or at least seemed that way. The '19 Apex, if anything, has seemed to be fade biased or there is something about how it sets up for me that causes me to leave more than my share out the the right with a push fade. On one par 5 where this is the perfect club distance-wise to use for my 2nd shot layup I have to be really, really careful as there is a creek that crosses the fairway and that then runs down the right side with the fairway sloping that way. I've put far too many into that creek!

When I do hit it well I have found the trajectory very pleasing, high and the ball just seems to carry. On those shots I have also found the distance to be very consistent. Perhaps the '19 Apex is not as forgiving as I would like or need? I've actually thought about putting my old X-Hot back in the bag or possibly look into getting a Big Bertha hybrid if I can't get this straightened out.

My 4 & 5 hybrids came today. There has been talk on the size of the 19 compared to the original. From front to back the 19 is 1/8 inch longer and 3/16 of an inch taller at the toe. To my eye it looks just a tad larger than the original but not so much that it's a distraction for me.

I had tried the Epic hybrid last year but I hooked it to much and it was quite a bit larger than the original as seen in the last picture.
Hoping to get out tomorrow and put them through there paces. If it will quit raining.
c434abd533b632fdd09ed5c7eaedd000.jpg
168d17ebe90f52dba4d72a0faa851cfd.jpg
736865b004b3d49264617f371f2dbe7a.jpg
9fb6745d7aa7e03518c78a0eba3b3522.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Of all the equipment I was fit into, so far the 2019 Apex hybrid has been my least favorite. Driver, fairways, irons, wedges, putter, ball, I just can't find anything to negative about even if I were to nitpick other than the color scheme on the driver and fairway woods.

Just about every hybrid I've played over the years has been draw biased, or at least seemed that way. The '19 Apex, if anything, has seemed to be fade biased or there is something about how it sets up for me that causes me to leave more than my share out the the right with a push fade. On one par 5 where this is the perfect club distance-wise to use for my 2nd shot layup I have to be really, really careful as there is a creek that crosses the fairway and that then runs down the right side with the fairway sloping that way. I've put far too many into that creek!

When I do hit it well I have found the trajectory very pleasing, high and the ball just seems to carry. On those shots I have also found the distance to be very consistent. Perhaps the '19 Apex is not as forgiving as I would like or need? I've actually thought about putting my old X-Hot back in the bag or possibly look into getting a Big Bertha hybrid if I can't get this straightened out.

I will take that fade on a hybrid!

Another first swing with this today. Actually took the plastic off the head as they were putting out the demo. I enjoyed the last version, and this seemed much the same. Only difference, DISTANCE. A 3 hybrid from my bag is usually a 220-225 carry on a well it ball. First swing with this was 240, high and straight. Had several in the 230, felt great, looks great, ball didn't go left or fade to far to the right. A 2 hybrid is in strong consideration to replace my 3 wood. I'll wait to compare it directly against the Ping G410 2H.

I hit the 5.5 Catalyst shaft at PGASS. Anyone know if that is what they are calling regular or stiff?

I hit the 5.5 Catalyst shaft at PGASS. Anyone know if that is what they are calling regular or stiff?

The 6.0 is stiff - so I believe the 5.5 is regular.

This is one AWESOME hybrid. I love how it sets up and the combination of ball speed/forgiveness is impressive, given the head size. It truly may be the best hybrid i have ever hit.

Anyone have a chance to get some solid launch monitor data yet? Still really curious about these, but the spin matters here for me.

Anyone have a chance to get some solid launch monitor data yet? Still really curious about these, but the spin matters here for me.

My lunch hours got screwed up last week and I wasn't able to get to the simulator but I'm going to shoot for tomorrow.

I was hitting the 4 h on GC2. I was seeing ball speed in the 125 range, launch around 14 to 15 and spin in the mid 4,000 to as high as 5,000. Subjectively, I felt it launched extremely well. I think it would fit your swing well. The shaft in the one I was hitting was just the stock Catalyst 70 6.0.

I'm not 100% sold on the 1019 Apex filling the one slot I have for a hybrid. I have hit some wonderful shots, nice trajectory, good distance, but I have also hit some that I just can't tolerate. It may just be me and the time of year, course conditions, being layered up against the cold and therefore turn restricted, or perhaps I need a little more forgiveness. I'll continue to give it a go as hopefully the weather conditions improve and will just have to see if it remains a permanent part of my setup.

I noticed you carry the new cobra f9 hybrid. I am looking at a new hybrid and the f9 and the new apex is what i am considering. which one do you prefer?

Back