TaylorMade M5 and M6 Irons

Played yesterday after being off for two weeks due to travel. Able to try both the M5 (again) and the M6 (for the first time). For whatever reason the M5 still felt smooth and easy to hit. Every shot seemed effortless. I only tried the M6 once but it was a dead pull left. It just didn't have the same feel to me.

The M5 is getting me worried. As well as I'm hitting it, it's giving me serious pondering thoughts about a whole set. Doh!

The M5 is a nice club it looks good and plays just as well. Glad THP had this signup because I probably would not have given either offering a fair shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting the M6 irons dialed in. 12 GIR's today. It's taken 5 rounds to get the ball position to where I'm hitting the middle of the face. 2* flat & 1/4" short . First set of irons I've been fitted into. It DOES make a difference, being fitted.

The M5 is a nice club it looks good and plays just as well. Glad THP had this signup because I probably would not have given either offering a fair shake.

It's funny you say that, because I'm beginning to feel the same way. Both the M5 and M6 were not on my radar when I was looking at irons this spring. Now that ive played both, I really wish I had looked at them. We played in some really wet conditions this weekend, and my Srixon Z565/765 kept digging in. I grabbed the M6 three times, and hit 2 good shots, the other one a little fat and short, but still pretty high and dead straight. Not sure if it was the Vsole on the Srixons digging in, or me being stubborn and not changing my swing, but I chunked too many for my liking. The M6 though performed well, in those conditions.

It's funny you say that, because I'm beginning to feel the same way. Both the M5 and M6 were not on my radar when I was looking at irons this spring. Now that ive played both, I really wish I had looked at them. We played in some really wet conditions this weekend, and my Srixon Z565/765 kept digging in. I grabbed the M6 three times, and hit 2 good shots, the other one a little fat and short, but still pretty high and dead straight. Not sure if it was the Vsole on the Srixons digging in, or me being stubborn and not changing my swing, but I chunked too many for my liking. The M6 though performed well, in those conditions.

To be honest I haven’t thought Taylormade for irons since probably I played the R9 TP’s which I loved. Easy for me to bias clubs and categorize them into one being good for putters and the next only being good for wedges... When in actuality the companies are making great clubs all around. I’m getting proved that with the set of Srixon irons I won recently. Just a great set of irons and I would have probably never given them a fair shake, but this is a topic for another thread. The M5 & M6 are just good irons that are easy to hit.

Hit both the m5 and m6 while at the range yesterday. Continue to be impressed with the m5. the m6 is fine and the ball is rocket launched off the face, but I still can't get over how thick it looks at address. The m5 being slightly thinner is more appealing and I really like the way it feels through contact. It's not going to knock the Pings out of my bag, but I do enjoy hitting it.

To be honest I haven’t thought Taylormade for irons since probably I played the R9 TP’s which I loved. Easy for me to bias clubs and categorize them into one being good for putters and the next only being good for wedges... When in actuality the companies are making great clubs all around. I’m getting proved that with the set of Srixon irons I won recently. Just a great set of irons and I would have probably never given them a fair shake, but this is a topic for another thread. The M5 & M6 are just good irons that are easy to hit.

That is very true, having a brand put into a category in your mind. So many great options out there from each manufacturer. Just makes it that much more important to get fit I guess. After hitting the M5 and M6, kinda wishing now I would have taken my own advice and gotten fit for irons before I bought. Might not have hit these, but just to know there are so many great options to go through.

I was one of the fortunate ones selected to review these irons. Unfortunately, I had to have some surgery shortly after the clubs arrived for testing and was delayed more than I expected in getting back to playing. But, now I've had a chance to hit the two demo clubs.

I was fitted into the M6 earlier this year so this portion of the review is more detailed based off real world play. Coming from 712 AP1s, I wasn’t sure about the look but the ball just flew off the 7 iron. CHS 85.6; BS 124.4; SF 1.45. My average carry distance was 185.2. The dispersion was good and the shots had a good trajectory ( somewhat lower than the AP1s despite being a stronger loft). Since I’ve put the club into play, I’ve been pleased. My distances have been consistent on “full” shots. The clubs are long. My real world average distance with the 7 is in line with what I experienced at the fitting. I’m a club+ longer with these than I was the AP1s I had and a half club and more longer than the Callaway APEX and Big Bertha, Mizuno 919, Ping G410 and Srixon Z585 that I tried. I’m long past being able to work a ball on command so that isn’t a concern. Forgiveness is amazing. On shots toward the toe (my miss), I was surprised to get as good a result as I did. Shots that I have thought were a “miss” have ended up much, much closer to the green than I expected. The feeling of a well struck shot is not as crisp as I had with the Titleists and would like to have. I assume that is from the dampening system built into the clubs. Trajectory control is a bit of a struggle. But the overall results are good and my game and swing has improved. I like the clubs but I aspire to less of a SGI iron.

The demo M6 7 iron (KBS Max) I received gets pretty much the same marks but the flight is higher and less penetrating than with my KBS C-Tapers. The demo isn’t as long either.

The demo M5 7 iron (TT XP100) looks good at address. It is closer to the look I prefer. Impact feel is better and more in line with what I like even though the shot didn’t have the carry I’m used to. On a few dozen shots on course over a couple of rounds, the M5 is on average 12-15 yards shorter for me than my M6 and about half that much shorter than the demo M6. From the course and on the range, the ball doesn’t have the same jump off the face. It is not as forgiving as the M6. Trajectory generally is lower but it is easier to hit it higher than the M6 is to hit lower. I did really like the feel of this club with some bump and run type shots near the green.

The shafts in both demo clubs were a good bit lighter than what I play so I’m sure that plays into the differences. As soon as I have time to run to Memphis, I’m going to have the M5 reshafted with the same shaft I play to see how it feels and performs. I expect it to perform much better.

A couple more rounds in the books and had both M5 and M6 7 irons out in the bag. I typically will pull 7 iron for anything between 155 and 165 depending on wind and slope. If I need a little less club, I will choke down a little to get the yardage I am looking for. Both irons are very good distance wise. I get more height any carry from my Apex 19, but both of these are in the neighborhood of what I would want. I am not a very adept at hitting a fade on command. A draw is a lot easier for me. Neither club would allow me to hit a fade as needed. The M5 was easier for me to manipulate and manufacture a draw. The M6 was pretty darn straight. Both clubs are extremely easy to hit.

My main issues are the bulkiness of the M6, which is more of a super forgiving, game improvement iron and the grip choice. Not a huge deal there with the grip, but if I was paying full price for this set I would be a little perturbed by the selection. The M5 is very gameable. Not a fan of the shaft, but the looks and the results justify the means. It's a really good iron. I plan to continue to try these out and mix them into my bag as I play.

The M5 7iron just continues to be such an easy club to hit for me. It’s sitting in the 6iron slot in my bag. I feel very confident pulling this out for that 170 yard shot. I would have no problem gaming these, say, in the 5-7 iron slot. I want to check out the profiles at address of the 8-PW. I prefer a smaller profile in those clubs, so will poke around the golf store to see if these fit the eye.

Another range session today reminded me that I still really like the M5 iron. They are certainly on my radar if I feel like I ever want to step back into using a GI iron. As it stands, it's got nothing to do with not liking these irons so much as having irons I love and have zero desire to replace.

The idea of something built about like an M5 but at about 20° of loft does hold some appeal, though.

Went to the store last night with my dad as he was looking for new irons. He tried about 5 different sets and ended up buying the m6s. They were the best combination of distance and height for him by a good margin. Was fun to see. Will be playing with him tomorrow to see how they work on the course for the first time.

I haven’t got to hit mine since our practice round in Nashville. I’m hoping to get to the range and compare them to my Edge irons. Although it’ll be Edge 6i vs the 7i’s to keep it fair

If anyone wants to give the M6 7i a test, I can send it along. Just send me a DM. Free ship to AC member.

I am going to hold onto the M5 7i. Currently a fixture in the 6i slot.

I've always like Taylormade's irons, but haven't hit any of the new stuff till today. I got a hold of a LH m5 iron on a Full Swing simulator. I hadn't seen these in person till now, so liked them better than I expected to from the pictures I'd seen. Not my favorite looking but not horrible by any stretch of the imagination. Really not bad of a club all around from what I hit. Seemed to be about 5 yards longer than my XR pros i'm currently playing. First impressions were pretty good. I'd definitely give them a chance again.

A few more rounds in the books and have used these in some capacity during each round. Both are actually pretty dang forgiving. I kind of use them in a lot of spots I don't want to kill my normal seven iron, like in waste areas and the rough. Starting to get used the M6. It doesn't bend much, but definitely goes straight. If you like to work the ball, the M5 will suit you a little better. Still don't care for the grip, but I'm not going to gripe to much over a free club. I really like how the M5 frames the ball compared to the M6 however. Distances are pretty close, but I think I get a little more out of the M6. Will continue to mix these into my rounds and swings over the next few weeks.

So I went from saying I would never hit anything with Taylormade on it except a driver, to owning m5 irons and a spider x. And I can say it's the best decision I've made in my golf game.

So I previously owned a set of ping eye 2 I played for about 10 years and played consistently around 78-85 and could work the ball pretty consistently. but didnt have the distance and launch angle was to high and decent angle was to steep which isnt a killer. But my spin rate was about 7800rpm and ball speed was about 110ish killing my distance.

Average 7i was about 151 carry with the eye 2s. Rpm 7800 launch angle 19.8 ball speed 110mph ish.

Went in to a fitting about a month ago to see if a new set of clubs could help get a little distance. Hit 5 to 10 different clubs in 2 days. On the 9th club the fitter looks at my and says let's try something different and hands me the m5." I almost gave it back to him lol"
After 1 hit I told him I dont care what that computer says this is my club.

M5 7i. Carry distance 172 ball spin 5600rpm launch and 16 degrees and ball speed up to 121-122ish.

Clubs are forgiving and workable and look decent behind a ball. Not like some of the bricks they put on sticks.

End result I'm shoot a consistent 75 to 81.

Anyone has a taylormade bag they're willing to part with?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Used the M6 7 iron a couple of times during my round with JB Cobb and Johan. This thing goes, the flight looked like it was going to pop up and stop but it went high and just kept going. One of my best shots of the round.

TaylorMade M5 and M6 Irons

The M5 just continues to be a consistent performer for me. Easy to hit. High ball flight. Plenty of distance. It doesn’t sound the best - I am terrible at describing sound so it’s hard for me to put into words. But, I have never not bought a club based on sound.

My playing partners have taken a few swings over several rounds and they have provided similar positive feedback.

Was peeking at a set of Ping G410s in the golf store the other day, and I didn’t get the same success as with the M5s. I have been a Ping homer in the past, and was surprised that I preferred the M5 over the G410.

I stopped by GG and hit the M5 7 Iron vs my G30 7 Iron on the sim, and it was carrying 10+ yards further on average, with good dispersion. Considering this wasn't fit in any way, and had the wrong grips (for me) on it, I am eyeing these hard.

Back