Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver Review

View attachment 38598

I hit it (9.5 stiff) about 10 times at PGA SS tonight and it felt solid. It ranged between 280 and 300 for being straight off the rack, it performed pretty darn well. Would like to spend some time to tune it to my specs(7.5 or 8.5 Xstiff).
That's what I like to hear. That's the one I picked. Can't wait to get it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Driver is inbound! I’ll get some thoughts on it later this week and weekend.

Hoping to put a cobra connect grip on it.

Played another 9 holes with the EXS today. What can I say, this driver is the best I've ever had. Long, straight, and confidence building. First hit was a little too much fade and missed the fairway, but I didn't get any warm up and completely understandable as far as I was concerned. The rest of the round, every shot found the fairway and was long and really nice flight. Some I caught out on the toe a little, but this didn't seem to hurt the distance much and still manage to stay online. Sounds a little tinny indoors, but absolutely a great sound outdoors, especially when you find the center of the club face. I'm getting GIR's that I never used to be able to get in the past. Really enjoying this driver. I get giddy when I think about how much it costs compared to the big OEM's.

Just talked to the TEE rep for my area, the only place around here that caries the Exotics line finally has a few more shafts available to try. I should be able to give it a better look in the next week or so.

Played 9 after work this evening. 6/6 fairways hit, 245yds average distance, don’t think I hit the center of the face once.

I hit this driver at our local range and came away impressed. Distance wise it was a few yards longer than my gamer, and about even with the Ping Max I pitted it against. Dispersion wise it beat the heck out of the Ping. It just wanted to go straight, even on shots I knew were pulled.

All these examples are making me downright giddy

Phyllis Meti used this driver to hit drives of 408 and 413 on the women's WLD tour on GC tonight.

Ordered the weight Kit as well.

Stock SW is D2 - my current gamer is D3 at Tour Length.

I want to make sure SW is apples to apples, but I will probably end up matching the shaft length to 44.5"

Of course if with the D3 SW it's the accurate bomber that everyone has been saying, we could potentially be good to go.

Lot of golf coming up so the review on this and comparison to the F9 is going to be a freaking BLAST!!!

No weight kit yet, thanks to some UPS issues/thieves/

But I’ve moved the 9g weight to the butt and 3g to the heel.

4faeb1c27df4452f6c98e4baf6540999.jpg

7 shots with it so far 2 pretty big fades (still in play but not ideal) and one straight that didn’t fade and ended up swimming

6259984ed055767f04993f8eaeede6e9.jpg

92a800a17b57905264915e79ed84c126.jpg

ef99b6c8833875581bdfc8eb96127abd.jpg

ce2269556980b15f6d84288d2a947dac.jpg

Looks: The looks are great, the black/grey/@Canadan blue is fantastic.

Quality: I know the $299 pricepoint has been a big topic of discussion- changing the hosel, swapping the weights, there is nothing that I would consider “cheap” or sub par quality anywhere in the driver or looks based.

Sound: This is the most intriguing/different aspect of this driver and to other drivers I’ve gamed.

It sounds like a cannon, which is kind of cool, it doesn’t bother me, I’m also not a big sound guy either - just definitely a bit surprising compared to what I’m used to.

Feel: Great, feel the contact all over the face, nothing is dead

Distance/Dispersion: Based on the data pics from above, About where I’d expect it to be. Performs very similar to my F9 that is Tour Length and lighter SW.

Launch: With the Mitsubishi Tensei Blue it’s a bit lower than I’m seeing with my Smoke F9 but still a lot to be done to find the ideal head configuration.

Looking forward to more comparisons

Thanks for the contest/testing opportunity THP and Tour Edge!

No weight kit yet, thanks to some UPS issues/thieves/

But I’ve moved the 9g weight to the butt and 3g to the heel.

4faeb1c27df4452f6c98e4baf6540999.jpg

7 shots with it so far 2 pretty big fades (still in play but not ideal) and one straight that didn’t fade and ended up swimming

6259984ed055767f04993f8eaeede6e9.jpg

92a800a17b57905264915e79ed84c126.jpg

ef99b6c8833875581bdfc8eb96127abd.jpg

ce2269556980b15f6d84288d2a947dac.jpg

Looks: The looks are great, the black/grey/@Canadan blue is fantastic.

Quality: I know the $299 pricepoint has been a big topic of discussion- changing the hosel, swapping the weights, there is nothing that I would consider “cheap” or sub par quality anywhere in the driver or looks based.

Sound: This is the most intriguing/different aspect of this driver and to other drivers I’ve gamed.

It sounds like a cannon, which is kind of cool, it doesn’t bother me, I’m also not a big sound guy either - just definitely a bit surprising compared to what I’m used to.

Feel: Great, feel the contact all over the face, nothing is dead

Distance/Dispersion: Based on the data pics from above, About where I’d expect it to be. Performs very similar to my F9 that is Tour Length and lighter SW.

Launch: With the Mitsubishi Tensei Blue it’s a bit lower than I’m seeing with my Smoke F9 but still a lot to be done to find the ideal head configuration.

Looking forward to more comparisons

Thanks for the contest/testing opportunity THP and Tour Edge!

Is it similar in sound to the Beres driver? That thing is loud, but like you doesn’t bother me.

If you’re fading the ball wouldn’t moving the heavier weight back to the heel help with that? I’m looking forward to giving this one a swing next time we play. Shape and finish look great.

Is it similar in sound to the Beres driver? That thing is loud, but like you doesn’t bother me.

If you’re fading the ball wouldn’t moving the heavier weight back to the heel help with that? I’m looking forward to giving this one a swing next time we play. Shape and finish look great.

Man, if this is loud like that then I’ve lost all sense of hearing/feel, lol

I heard “cannon” and that was the first thing that came to mind. Trying to level set - but either way loud isn’t a problem for me outside of hitting balls in the winter in heated bays.

20190421_163634.jpg

20190421_163906.jpg

20190421_165123.jpg

I picked up a 10.5 EXS head last week. I pulled the UST Mamiya Proforce Gold XX out of my Wilson Triton and installed it into the EXS. I lost a 1/2" of length due to the different heads so the length is 44.5". The Proforce has a stout tip and I prefer a heavier feel in the head to go with the firm tip. I added 2 grams to each of the weights and installed the 11 gram in the rear and the 5 gram in the heel. The heavier weight in the heel is intriguing for lower spin but I do not want a draw bias setup. I set the swingweight to D-4 and set the hosel to neutral.

The epoxy did not dry until Friday so I did not get a chance to test it at the range. Wondering if the epoxy was going to hold I let it rip on the first drive of the day. I was very pleased with the sound and feel right from the first shot, my son commented it sounded like cracking a whip. I pulled that first shot and was waiting for the hook that accompanies the pull and to my surprise it stayed on a straight line long and in the first cut of left rough. Hmmmmm????? can this head really be that much more forgiving?

The second drive requires a fade off of the tee. I set up for a fade with plenty of open face at address and let it fly. It did not fade but I am anything but discouraged at this point, it seems as this driver just wants to go straight. My son commented how cool the blue on the toe looks at address. I ended up hitting many good drives today and the conclusion is this club is very forgiving on the face and it wants to fly straight, two very good things for my game.

I did end up hitting two hooks on the last two holes but they were dead in to a very strong wind. So it may not have attained unicorn status on its maiden voyage but I am thrilled with it thus far. I am going to switch the weights around and see if it lowers the launch a bit without causing a hook.

Last edited:

I heard “cannon” and that was the first thing that came to mind. Trying to level set - but either way loud isn’t a problem for me outside of hitting balls in the winter in heated bays.

Loud/Cannon to me? Probably closer to the Beres than your Flash

Weight in back to help with launch as it’s mid low even with the weight there - I also am at D2 SW so hoping to get the weights for D3

For those wondering about the sound I would describe it as pleasant. It sounds nothing like an aluminum bat or beer bottles clanking. My son said it sounds like cracking a whip. I am coming from a Wilson Triton that is LOUD, the EXS is subdued in comparison. I do not care for the muted carbon sound either so this club is just perfect for me sound wise.

Love all the feedback in here on this.

Reposting this for sound. It is definitely a higher pitched noise but not loud (at least to me)

Took the plunge and ordered one of these babies today. After re-reading @Jman s review for the 3rd time and skimming through all the posts in here again, I ordered one. I'm not really unhappy with my current gamer, and already have two or three late model back ups. But, I respect the effort and detail that James puts into his reviews and also have confidence in those that have tried and reviewed the club in this thread whom I know personally. So I think it's worth the risk of ordering one sight unseen (in hand) and without demo or fitting. I probably would have bought one earlier, but, I was hoping my local Edwin Watts would get some in to demo. If they don't have one by now, I doubt that they'll get any at all.

I'm excited about getting it in hand and on the course to see if it lives up to my expectations. I've always respected TEE as a company and do so even more with this gutsy move to buck the trend of other OEM's and release a legitimate Premium Driver at this price point. With the military discount they offer and 30-day satisfaction guarantee there is absolutely no reason to not give it a try. I have a pretty good feeling that this one will stay in the bag for awhile though.

I'll post my thoughts once I get it out on the course. Thanks again to @Jman and all the reviewers who have given their honest feedback in this thread.

Looking forward to your thoughts v.man. I hvae a feeling you are going to enjoy it.

Put this driver on the sideline for the last 2 weeks because I wanted to see my consistent draw come back that I knew I could produce with the Epic. The EXS will be back in the bag Monday and hopefully I will be able to replicate it with the EXS after seeing it for 2 weeks.

Still haven't been able to swing mine. This happened today. WTF!!
c10a338bd44f4c04bdb2c81f662c536c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had a Tour Edge fitting today at a big annual Golf Expo being held this weekend at the Haggin Oaks golf complex in Sacramento. I've been talking to tour Edge reps since December trying to get an opportunity to try the EXS driver with various shaft options (only shafts available around here until now were Tensei Blue 50R and 60S), so I took advantage of them having more available at the Expo. I hit R shafts pretty much exclusively, and normally get the best results with 60 - 65 series shafts. We pretty quickly narrowed it down to the Tensei Blue 60R, and the Even Flow Blue 55R, starting with the 10.5* head, playing with loft and lie, and settling on 10.5*/Upright. My best shots were a little better with the Even Flow, but I was way more consistent with the Tensei. We then tried the 9.5* head, lofted up to 10.5/Upright, but still had best results with the 10.5* head. Didn't get any numbers, they were using their Launch Monitor for a deal they were doing with their irons, but I was seeing good distance, my normal low/mid flight, and pretty straight with an occasional slight fade, which is also fairly normal for me. I really like this driver, I don't need it, I still hit my current gamer pretty well, but I've got a bad case of the "I WANT A NEW DRIVER!" syndrome, and I've always liked Tour Edge Exotics.

They had sold out of the EXS drivers yesterday, first day of the Expo, so I didn't bring one home, but I will likely order one soon. Good thing about getting fit into the stock shaft, I can get it just about anywhere online (Budget Golf THP discount maybe?).

I had time to hit some of their other clubs, the CBX 119 Fairway was money! Hit it side by side with the EXS Fairway, and the CBX 119 just felt, and looked, so much nicer for me. My current fairway is a TEE EX9 Tour, and it is staying in the bag for a while, but when the time comes I can easily see the CBX 119 replacing it. Also hit the EXS Irons, hit them pretty well, but don't see them in my future.

Back