2019 Srixon Z-STAR and Z-STAR XV Golf Balls

After re-reading the review on these by @ddec along with other THPer's, playing the 19' version of ProV1x and falling in love with it along with playing the 18' TP5x version and really NOT liking the spin around the greens, I bought a sleeve of 19' XV at the PGATSS yesterday to put in to play tomorrow.

I'm hoping to get the performance of the V1x off the tee and equal or more greenside spin in a yellow ball, which I like to play, at a equal or better "Value"

One thing I know for sure, I'm done with lower compression golf balls after hitting '"X" versions this weekend.

looking forward to your thoughts.
I gotta ask, why does it seem you are swearing off all lower compression balls because of "x" versions? Just curious as to how much difference you are actually seeing on the course. Would be kind of fun to do a test when the model indicators blacked out. Not saying this is you, but I feel like there are a lot of people who see what they want to see because of what they have heard/read. Which is a bit dangerous at times if you(again not you just general discussion) are ignoring or looking past what is actually taking place.

looking forward to your thoughts.
I gotta ask, why does it seem you are swearing off all lower compression balls because of "x" versions? Just curious as to how much difference you are actually seeing on the course. Would be kind of fun to do a test when the model indicators blacked out. Not saying this is you, but I feel like there are a lot of people who see what they want to see because of what they have heard/read. Which is a bit dangerous at times if you(again not you just general discussion) are ignoring or looking past what is actually taking place.

I was playing the ERC Soft and I think I can honestly say I gained 5-7 conservatively off the driver and straighter, much straighter and that's not even taking in the added benefits I get around the green.

I go back to a fitting I has with Bridgestone in 2016 for the THP Championship against DT Solo and I was fit in the to E7 Ball - It had less side spin, Less backspin and was longer.
I remember the Bridgestone Marketing Manager Josh Kinchen making the comment about the ball being "Firm and Fast" and that fitting stuck with me.
I also recall some of best rounds of the several years have been with Volvik S4 and Vivid XT - Both higher compression balls and I recall the S4 being really "Straight" off the tee.

I'm I drinking the "Kool-Aid" after a couple of rounds, maybe, however, I can say honestly that I really pay attention of my ball flight. I don't just watch were it goes, I analyze it to watch the height and curve. The higher compression perform better for me.
Now maybe these comments should be directed against the ERC however I've had the same experience with Duo Soft.

Last edited:
Yesterday with a Z-star I had a clean lie in the fairway at 175 yards into a swirling wind. Smooth 7i with great contact to land on an elevated green and stop within 8-10 feet. The flight all day yesterday was strong than I normally would get with a Chromesoft or TP5. I have officially made the switch.

So I put the XV into play last night - 50* and windy and I have to say I came away really impressed.
I could and might game these for the rest of the year.
I got to really good distance form the tee - Straight but I impressed me was the spin off the of irons and wedges
I never got that much green side spine from V1x or TP5x. Off of the wedges, the ball grabs the greens and checks up really nice.
Off some 9 and PW, I had them hit one and then stop, really impressive for a higher compression ball.

Switched to XV this spring from Chrome Soft, Project (a) and QST because of data in MGS test and a curiosity to try something new and glad I did. Superior greenside spin, feel off the putter was fine and guessing I added as much as 5 yards off the driver. One or two scuffed a little but overall, excellent ball.

Switched to XV this spring from Chrome Soft, Project (a) and QST because of data in MGS test and a curiosity to try something new and glad I did. Superior greenside spin, feel off the putter was fine and guessing I added as much as 5 yards off the driver. One or two scuffed a little but overall, excellent ball.

So couldn’t write your post any better so I won’t because it’s exactly me. Greenside spin is off the charts. I will add that I’m glad they are selling cheap because I’m starting to question the durability. This one is after 18 holes and I don’t remember the last time I took a chunk out of a ball
3a0b2c5f6b33459c5d1b509699e51b57.jpg

Ok that HAD to hit something. right?? rock in a groove? weird

Ok that HAD to hit something. right?? rock in a groove? weird

From the discoloration around the missing chunk of that golf ball I would guess that didn’t happen from contact with the club face. Looks like it more than likely hit a tree or some rocks to me. Maybe a rock in a tree? HAHA!

BigSoil - good eye it is a bark color- I was thinking it landed on a gopher hole and the gopher bit it from underneath ;-)

I won a dozen from GG on a contest I entered. I never played the XV balls before thinking my SS is nowhere near the recommended level. Took these out the other day and except for the firm feel off of the club these things really performed better than what I thought I could get out of it, especially around the greens and off of my drives. Kind of hard to describe, the feel is firm but the spin I get from my wedges was easily better than what I currently play. Distance off of the drive is excellent but then again the feel is firm almost like a distance 2 piece ball. I've played one for 2 rounds and the wear is about the same, "maybe" a little but nothing like deep cuts or anything like that. Going to play with them some more and see if I can get used to the feel.

I played both the Z-star and XV yesterday. Much preferred the regular Z-star for feel and ball flight which surprised me a bit. XV is firm off both the driver and putter

I played both the Z-star and XV yesterday. Much preferred the regular Z-star for feel and ball flight which surprised me a bit. XV is firm off both the driver and putter
I have to agree with you. I think I'm going to play the z star this summer. I like the softer feel of the regular z and did not see any difference in spin or distance. The xv is a good ball just too firm for me.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have a stockpile of both last gen Z star and new gen XV. The new XV lost a bit of durability, but is softer than the past, and as always, awesome off the tee. I feel like on my best drives it goes a little longer, maybe 10 yards. They don't last as long as the prior gen Z stars. Need to try the new Z. I have been using the prior gen Z stars when its cooler and new XV when it's above 70.

So far I’m enjoying the xv. I think I might make this one my ball over the snell mtb x. Partly bc I play srixon z forged irons lol.

Overall it’s a versatile ball that seems to fit my game and wallet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the Z-Star in for 14 holes and it was awesome.

Drives were piercing. Approach game strong. Nice ball flight. Comfortable with chipping. Comfortable putting.

Right now I own Z-Star, ProV1, ChromeSoft, TP5, Snell MTB Red & Black, Q-Star Tour.

My goal this summer is to narrow it down to just 2 golf balls to play.

Obviously the ProV1 is the Mack Daddy of Golf Balls and that will always be in stock for me. So the rest of that group will be the test on what ball I want to play when I don't play the ProV1.

The Z-Star was fantastic. Even had 2 thinned approach shots still hold the green. One wedge I spun back about 5 feet, completely accidental but hey it looks cool haha.

I'm going to throw something else out there about these balls and it has nothing to do with performance off a club. There is something about the white they use that makes it so much easier for me to identify my ball whether it be in the rough or one of several shots in the fairway.

I'm going to throw something else out there about these balls and it has nothing to do with performance off a club. There is something about the white they use that makes it so much easier for me to identify my ball whether it be in the rough or one of several shots in the fairway.
It is a much brighter white than most of the other brands.

So I’ve got a dozen of last generation of Z-Star. I’ve looked through this thread and can’t find any comparing Version 5 vs. 6 or 2017 vs. 2019.

Are these close or considerably different?

Here’s the 2019 alignment. I never played the previous release, but I know a handful of guys that loved them. Still a damn good ball!

b6b694f2f9b72e121f29b93c94df6801.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I found this pic showing some markings! Hope it helps with the Walmart buys! I have seen some peoples posting pics that show the 2015 version from Walmart which is still a good buy for $10 I would say!

From post #161 pic didn’t quote...

So I’ve got a dozen of last generation of Z-Star. I’ve looked through this thread and can’t find any comparing Version 5 vs. 6 or 2017 vs. 2019.

Are these close or considerably different?

Here’s the different alignment aids used on the different generations Mark. I didn’t have much experience with the previous balls so I can’t really compare them.

I love the Pure White - it is sooo much brighter. Srixon has the best colors in the ball game, white and yellow. And yes, it is enough better that I enter it as a fairly big plus.

There is an intangible for me to how the ZStar feels off the putter and really everything... for my preferences it is the perfect compression, perfect face feel for the iron and short game. It just feels predictable and comfortable, and its hard to pick apart shortcomings in long game. Splitting hairs it dies seem a touch lower launch, higher spin than XV, and perhaps is ever so slightly more affected by wind. I've been playing XV interchangeably, and am happy with either. Feel-wise, ZStar for me, and maybe overall comfort around the green. But I would like to get on a LM with both because I'd love to see my Driver, 6i, PW numbers settle out.

I've also noticed a touch less durability here and there, but I'm net +way positive+ on the durability to dollar ratio. I can scuff up a Tour B or ProV just as fast, and I feel like almost any ball will have noticeable groove marks after just a few shots. From there, its a war of attrition as the round progresses. One Z-Star lasts me 18 fine if I don't hit trees or cart paths, and if it lasts that long it's done it's job and is retired. I've got TourB's that are similarly beat up after 18 holes so I'm not over worried about this topic, but I'm monitoring it.

6/8-6/16 Srixon has a BOGO deal going on to for Fathers Day...I’ll be picking up a small stock pile:)

Basically $20/dozen for a fantastic golf ball is an absolute freaking steal. So if you’re on the fence this will be a great reason to get off of it. Haha!

6/8-6/16 Srixon has a BOGO deal going on to for Fathers Day...I’ll be picking up a small stock pile:)

Basically $20/dozen for a fantastic golf ball is an absolute freaking steal. So if you’re on the fence this will be a great reason to get off of it. Haha!

I was just about to post and you beat me too it, but here’s a visual just in case anyone isn’t paying attention that Srixon is giving you every reason to switch to a ball that flat performs.

be87f8b5f124640a9e55ac9f4d076c17.jpg

PS - Played Z-Star all day today and the love affair continues. I want for naught, and the short game and putting is spot on.

Played last years Z-Stars yesterday and this years Z-Stars for the front 9 to. Just struggled. Changed over to the XV on the back 9 and my game just changed. Straight and long off the tee and straight iron shots. I could tell when I hit to flush as you hear the distinctive click of a harder ball. I like it! Picked up 4 dozen XVs’ today.

I’ve messaged them on twitter hoping to find a way to get the bogo here in Canada. We can’t order straight from them :(

Back