2019 Srixon Z-STAR and Z-STAR XV Golf Balls

Randomly and fwiw, this is the case with the ProV1 and ProV1x I just finished reviewing too. Usually one is lower spin off the tee and king clubs, but higher spinning into greens with scoring clubs, all about that internal design!

Can you break that down a little further?

Man that's a great write up Dean. And great stuff here from Srixon

Great review!!! Might have to try the Z-Star, just not sure I have the swing speed for it being in the low 90's

Interesting to see how the ball with the higher spin swapped back and forth depending on which club you were using

The normal Z-Star was higher spinning with the driver and full SW, but the XV was higher spinning with the 7i and pitch - admittedly they were very close and could be reasoned with the differences in swing and contact, but to me it looks like the choice of ball would come down to personal preference on sound and feel as the results appeared to be very similar

yeah there certainly were some interesting data points. I tried to alternate which ball and club combo so that I couldn't say, well I was more exhausted when hiting XYZ. Your last point is exactly where I am at, out of these two(at this moment in time), I would choose the ball that feels better to me, which is the Z-Star.

Can you break that down a little further?

As for the layers and what they do, how about we got to the tape? The THPTV tape of course! :alien:

[video=youtube_share;xjZ-Bh45pww]https://youtu.be/xjZ-Bh45pww[/video]

As for the beginning part, a bit of a typo in there with king clubs....thats silly. But, in all my testing be it Z vs. ZXV, ProV1 vs. ProV1x, TP5 vs TP5x, Snell Black vs. Snell Red, I typically see one model that is aimed at higher flight in the scoring clubs wind up being the spinnier ball of the two when it comes to the scoring area of the game, but off the tee they are usually lower spin than their counterpart. Something people lose sight of at times because they just see "higher flight on longer irons" and make assumptions about the rest of the flight characteristics. I know Dean saw that with this review, and in my ProV1/ProV1x review that will go up soon I saw similar.

yeah there certainly were some interesting data points. I tried to alternate which ball and club combo so that I couldn't say, well I was more exhausted when hiting XYZ. Your last point is exactly where I am at, out of these two(at this moment in time), I would choose the ball that feels better to me, which is the Z-Star.

You think that is mainly a compression thing Deano?

Great review Dean, love seeing actual data to support your experiences with the ball(s). Sounds like 2 solid options and Im definitely intrigued (especially as a Q star tour fan)

gracias. Since we've made the push to include more and more data, I've done my best not to hide from my numbers though I know they don't stack up to the crazy folks on YouTube, or heck, even my compadres here.

Man that's a great write up Dean. And great stuff here from Srixon

appreciate it! Happy that we were able to get both versions in for a side by side.

Great review!!! Might have to try the Z-Star, just not sure I have the swing speed for it being in the low 90's

My SS isn't that much higher and I know I mentioned it in the article, but I was really surprised at just how close these two performed for me. I really didn't think the XV would be as close to the normal version as it was.

I happily received the dozen I won on the THP Twitter contest yesterday straight from Srixon. I am looking forward to getting them out on the course in the near future. I do need to work on a couple things before I play them though as I am having a bit of a struggle with part of my game at the moment.

You think that is mainly a compression thing Deano?

it could be compression, could be that extra layer. In reality, I could play it, but the XV just was a lot clickier to my ears.

I happily received the dozen I won on the THP Twitter contest yesterday straight from Srixon. I am looking forward to getting them out on the course in the near future. I do need to work on a couple things before I play them though as I am having a bit of a struggle with part of my game at the moment.

very cool! Make sure you throw some thoughts up in here when you do

As for the layers and what they do, how about we got to the tape? The THPTV tape of course! :alien:

[video=youtube_share;xjZ-Bh45pww]https://youtu.be/xjZ-Bh45pww[/video]

As for the beginning part, a bit of a typo in there with king clubs....thats silly. But, in all my testing be it Z vs. ZXV, ProV1 vs. ProV1x, TP5 vs TP5x, Snell Black vs. Snell Red, I typically see one model that is aimed at higher flight in the scoring clubs wind up being the spinnier ball of the two when it comes to the scoring area of the game, but off the tee they are usually lower spin than their counterpart. Something people lose sight of at times because they just see "higher flight on longer irons" and make assumptions about the rest of the flight characteristics. I know Dean saw that with this review, and in my ProV1/ProV1x review that will go up soon I saw similar.

Okay, bare with me here, because this is where I am confused, and I am sure it is because I am doing 27 things at once. Why do you think the golf ball will spin less off the tee and spin more into greens and vice versa? Normally full swings, spin comes from a variety of areas. First is compression, then comes cover friction, dimple pattern, etc. Now without going down the part of compression numbers not being really relevant (wholly), why would the driver spin less and then more into the greens?

Odds are I am missing it. Looking at the video Dean shot at the PGA Show, meaning using Pro V1 and Pro V1x as the example, the firmer ball spins more off the tee to provide higher initial launch and is normally found to spin more around the greens, at least according to them. For years that also meant faster, but compression has come a long way there.

I may be completely wrong, but I would have thought that the same ball (whichever that may be) would be higher spinning one across all clubs rather than higher with some and lower than its counterpart with others

I thnk the most confusing was seeing the Z-Star being higher spin for driver and SW, but lower in spin with a 7i compared to the XV

In terms of choice, I have hit previous versions of the Z-Star and although I wasn't a fan of either of them, I definitely found the XV to be significantly 'clickier' off the club

I may be completely wrong, but I would have thought that the same ball (whichever that may be) would be higher spinning one across all clubs rather than higher with some and lower than its counterpart with others

I thnk the most confusing was seeing the Z-Star being higher spin for driver and SW, but lower in spin with a 7i compared to the XV

In terms of choice, I have hit previous versions of the Z-Star and although I wasn't a fan of either of them, I definitely found the XV to be significantly 'clickier' off the club

I mean spin rates in the 7 and full swing SW were both practically the same. We are talking less than 100 RPM difference in the 7 and less than 50 RPM in the SW. Those differences could most definitely be chalked up to the quality of contact.

To me, the baffler(although not really) is how much less I spun the Z-Star in the pitch shot. But in reality, I think where I got surprised was how much the XV spun in that situation because I genuinely did not expect that. But as always, everyone should test on their own and to be honest, if this test was done on the course, with no LM, would we ordinary golfers be able to tell the difference in those numbers? My guess would be no.

But as always, everyone should test on their own and to be honest, if this test was done on the course, with no LM, would we ordinary golfers be able to tell the difference in those numbers? My guess would be no.

Definitely not, I completely agree, especially when the numbers are as close as they were

This year is going to be very interesting for me as I want to spend time getting the most out of each piece of equipment that I can, from ball to clubs

Definitely not, I completely agree, especially when the numbers are as close as they were

This year is going to be very interesting for me as I want to spend time getting the most out of each piece of equipment that I can, from ball to clubs

I'm kind of in that mode for me too. My back is feeling a bit better and I'd like to see if I can push my driver ball speed up to and over 150. Going to try to find some spots in the bag that I know can be somewhat repeatable, or at least as repeatable as I can make it. Having done a bunch of ball stuff in the past handful of months, I do think finding the right ball can help get me on that path.

Great and Thorough review @ddec.
Sure wish this type of data gathering was more accessible to every average golf if they wanted it.

Last edited:
Great and Through review @ddec.
Sure wish this type of data gathering was more accessible to every average golf if they wanted it.

thanks Mark.
I think it can be depending on your area. IIRC some places like PGA SS allow folks to reserve pracitce time using their LM's. Now that could have changed from the time I remember seeing that kind of stuff.

...has me excited to have moved my HS team over to Srixon this season.

There are so many good balls but nice move. As a guy who has always appreciated overall flat out performance as well as value, Srixon are in a sweet spot for me. So good.

Great stuff Dean. Did these balls leave you wanting in any particular area? Seemed like good balls in every facet.

Great stuff Dean. Did these balls leave you wanting in any particular area? Seemed like good balls in every facet.

yeah both performed well. For me, I'm working on adding some spin to my drives(which I did here crazy enough) and I'd like some extra in my irons. Those are just little things I am hoping for as the season gets ramped up over this way.

I love the XV as I've played it the most for the past 6 or so years. The new version has me excited. I can't wait to try it. The only problem is I have 6 dozen of the previous version XV and ChromeSoft sitting at home.

Will be doing some testing soon to find my gamer this year. Last year was Q Star Tour and it will def be a Srixon ball for sure.....

d4667b92b71b3e651e7eb32c7287d8e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back