Build Your 2019 Cobra Hybrids

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2019 Morgan Cup is less than 90 days away and participants get a full bag of equipment from Cobra Golf as part of the THP Event. This year we are tasking them with piecing it together in waves, for two reasons.

i-mvB2pVq-M.jpg

1. Not to become overwhelmed with the awesomeness.
2. To bring the entire community of THPers along for the ride with the decisions they make.

So here is the drill. They can choose any Cobra hybrids and here are the other options offered. Just like Tour Players, there are decisions to be made and in this case, they have a plethora of shaft options available as well as some grip options and every participant will be using Cobra Connect for stats.

Club Head(s)
King F9
King F9 One Length
King Utility Black
King Utility Black One Length

Shaft Choices
For Hybrid
Fujikura Atmos 7
UST Mamiya Recoil ES SmacWrap
UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES
Aldila 2k XV Green Hybrid

For Utility
UST Mamiya Recoil ES SmacWrap
True Temper AMT Tour White in Black PVD

Grip Choices
KING F9 Black Midsize
King F9 Blue Midsize
KING F9 Standard
REL Black
Crossline Black
Tour Velvet
UTX Black

I could see myself with either

2 hybrid or 3 hybrid
NV green 2kxv
Tour Velvet

With a 3-4 Utility
Amt shaft
Tour Velvet

I think this portion of the bag is so hard to fit. I want something easy to hit/control that doesn't balloon or spin too much.

The one thing I wish I had done last year was put 1 Utility in my bag. My F8 4H is very solid though and I really enjoy that club. I have the 2H too which I am capable of hitting some fantastic shots with but lately I have been leaving it in the car and playing a non Cobra 3U for some experimenting.

This should be fun! Can't wait to see what everyone selects

My current answer is none of the above!

King F9 One Length Hybrid 19*
UST Mamiya Recoil ES Smacwrap F4
Tour Velvet grip

Easy, 19° F9, Aldila 2K XV Green in stiff, GP Tour Velvet. Really interested to see how these go in the Morgan Cup, I'm on the hunt for a replacement for my venerable X2Hot hybrid.

Cobra F9 4h with UST Recoil 780 ES SW and Black UTx grip

This should be fun! Can't wait to see what everyone selects

My current answer is none of the above!

you and i tend to be very similar in what we like and what works, but we are on polar opposites here.

the king black wedges were my favorite clubs we received in the 2018 morgan cup. the f8 hybrids were a very close second. i would think the design changes in the f9 would be subtle and evolutionary. if so, i would go:

f9 3h ust mamiya recoil 780 es smacwrap f4
f9 4h ust mamiya recoil 780 es smacwrap f4
standard/variable length.
utx black 2 full wraps, 2 extra wraps under the right hand.

These hybrids are awesome, I got the 2H with the 2k xv green and man does it go the distance. I got the 4H with the reciol es smacwrap and it is so easy to hit, spins great on the greens.

This was the one club I was absolutely sure of, but it looks like I need to figure out a different plan for the shaft.

Question, both the shafts listed for the UT are the stock offerings, which do not show x flex as an option. Do either get offered in x for us?

King Utility Black One Length
UST Mamiya Recoil ES Smacwrap Stiff
UTX Black +2 Wraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the one club I was absolutely sure of, but it looks like I need to figure out a different plan for the shaft.

Question, both the shafts listed for the UT are the stock offerings, which do not show x flex as an option. Do either get offered in x for us?

They should be available in X, but if not at the time of ordering, Cobra has said they will find an alternative with the player.

what shaft were you originally thinking?

what shaft were you originally thinking?

I saw the HZRDUS black option in the custom setup which is a shaft I'm familiar with. Pretty much, I want low spin bullets that penetrate as they fall (for bounce).

I can make whatever work though. NBD.

I saw the HZRDUS black option in the custom setup which is a shaft I'm familiar with. Pretty much, I want low spin bullets that penetrate as they fall (for bounce).

I can make whatever work though. NBD.

have you ever played aldila atx green?

King utility, something that comes out to the 3-4 or 19*

UST shaft, UTX black grip.

I'm not blushing, you're blushing.

Are you talking about the 2k xv? Back in the day, sure.

Not an option for the uT though.

yes, i think the 2kxnv is the update to the atx? might have that wrong. anyway, didn't realize you were going with the utilities. great choice.

yes, i think the 2kxnv is the update to the atx? might have that wrong. anyway, didn't realize you were going with the utilities. great choice.

Just one. 18 degree. It's been a staple in my bag for the last year and I plan to maintain it as a short tee option as well as a 'plenty of room par 5' advancer.

Cobra has made awesome utilities for a couple years now. Pretty excited about it.

Hybrids have been part of my bag for a while now. I almost always have one in the 18 to 19 degree range for long par 3’s and extra long par 4’s. My choice, almost certainly:

F9 3 hybrid, Aldila 2k XV Green stiff, UTx black grip, one extra wrap of tape

That shaft will work great to keep the spin down and I am very excited to game this hybrid!

This is an area of the bag that I am excited about getting more help. I don't often use my 4 iron as I need more work there with my contact. I hit hybrids well in the past and I definitely want to get a 4 hybrid back in my bag. I'm planning on the F9 hybrid with either the UST Mamiya Recoil ES SmacWrap or the Aldila 2k XV Green Hybrid shaft in stiff flex. I'm getting fit later this week (weather permitting). Another area I'm considering is doing something with my 5 iron. If you've followed my prep thread I've discussed my challenge with clubs having a thicker sole playing out of the rough. I've been playing around with the idea of trying a utility in the top end as well but that would be dependent on the fitting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

F9 OL hybrid 19*
Smacwrap
Black UTX

Maybe adjust when I get to hit it, but that seems best for now.

I'm currently leaning toward no hybrids because I have complete faith in my F9 long irons but seeing these options has me second guessing (who knew...)

This is probably the one spot in my MC bag that is the biggest question mark at the moment. Will be between OL 4 hybrid, OL 4 iron and 2-3 OL utility iron. Going to try and hit all 3 before equipment selection day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an area of the bag that I am excited about getting more help. I don't often use my 4 iron as I need more work there with my contact. I hit hybrids well in the past and I definitely want to get a 4 hybrid back in my bag. I'm planning on the F9 hybrid with either the UST Mamiya Recoil ES SmacWrap or the Aldila 2k XV Green Hybrid shaft in stiff flex. I'm getting fit later this week (weather permitting). Another area I'm considering is doing something with my 5 iron. If you've followed my prep thread I've discussed my challenge with clubs having a thicker sole playing out of the rough. I've been playing around with the idea of trying a utility in the top end as well but that would be dependent on the fitting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

you do what you think is best for your game. but i'll tell you that the rails absolutely work, especially out of difficult lies.

Back