2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

To all of the past, present and hopeful Grandaddy participants: What is your favorite Grandaddy tradition.

Every year, Callaway steps things up with new innovations and surprises at every turn. Some elements, however, remain the same...and I'm glad.

My favorite tradition is dinner at Al's house. It's just legendary. The atmosphere, the guac, the comradery and competition, the lavish house on The Hideaway property and of course Al and his wife. Incredible hosts!

I'm also pretty fond of the "scare Velardo out of his mind" tradition we started last year as well.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

You had me at guac.

some chatter on our team today about pre-round fittings. some are considering hitting up demo days, or getting on a trackman, or maybe doing a full blown club champion fitting for callaway gear beforehand.

i have my own thoughts on this, but curious to hear the forum’s perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I had a chance to hit some of the new stuff then I would give it a try just to see if I liked the look / feel of it, but I wouldn't necessarily go in looking for a full fitting
And I guess another thing to remember is that the guys lucky enough to go to the Grandaddy could (most likely) have access to gear that we don't even know about yet, so there is nothing you can do to try and hit that beforehand

I would say knowing your own game and tendencies and being able to relay that to the ECPC fitters is the most important thing to get the absolute best out of your fitting

My suggestion would be to go in with a plan, but not a commitment. Hit a few different options as opportunity presents, but don’t go chasing a perfect fit. Not all club fitters are equal, and you guys are getting fit by the best of the best (cue Top Gun speech). Have an idea of what shafts you typically gravitate to, but don’t be afraid to try something new. When I was at the THP True Temper event last year, I was focusing on light shafts because I though heavy would slow down my swing too much. Then Scott put a DG 120 shafted club in my hand, and it was as if the heavens opened and I could actually hit an iron. I would have never even considered it on my own.

This is really well said and is essentially my plan. I’ve been fit several times over the years for various clubs but haven’t tried the most recent Callaway equipment. I want to walk into the ECPC with an idea of which Callaway equipment is geared toward me and my swing and what I think will work best for me. Even if I can just eliminate one or 2 clubs that I know I won’t get along with, then it gives me more time to concentrate on the clubs that I could be fit for.

And then for me, I want to know my numbers with my current clubs. I want to know what my average driver, 7-iron, and sand wedge numbers are. Spin, distance, etc. Hard to know if a club is better for me if I don’t know what my averages look like now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan on just jumping on TrackMan with my pro for a bit and recording some baseline yardage, efficiency, and spin numbers. Present that to our fitters and let them do their thing and tweak how they see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be able to get to Golf USA and get some #'s. They are pretty good guys to work with.

I have a PGA Tour Superstore near that I plan to visit to get some numbers from the launch monitors there. I'd like to arrive at the ECPC with some average numbers and let the fitter go from there.

I think it's a good idea to get some kind of general fitting beforehand if you're able to. I don't want what I'm about to say to come off as negative at all because the fitting experience is absolutely amazing at ECPC but you are on somewhat of a time constraint during it.

We had an hour for a putter fitting which the time was split between 3 guys. That was plenty of time though for everyone to get dialed in. We had an hour to spend time with wedges which is also plenty of time. The crunch that I noticed was with the third hour and iron/wood fittings. That time absolutely flies by. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get my spin and consistency figured out with irons which put a bit of crunch on the time I had for woods. Luckily I had done a driver fitting in the past which provided a good reference/starting point for me.

Add in the fact that you're swing may not be as consistent as you would like or are used to. Having that baseline to reference may be beneficial. I know several members of our teams weren't swinging our best that day. Heck I felt like an octopus trying to put on a sweater during my fitting but know what shafts I've had success with in the past and what driver shaft I was fit for was helpful.

Now I wouldn't necessarily go and pay for a fitting or if you don't have options around you I wouldn't be concerned. These guys at ECPC are good. Like REALLY GOOD. If you come in without a clue on what you should be fit in to they will absolutely get you hooked up to what you need. And don't forget to ask them questions. They are unbelievably knowledgeable and half of the fun was chatting about random fitting questions. That fitting is still one of the most memorable things I've ever done in golf, even if @Boder knocked me unconscious for part of it .

But just like we've said with everything else, don't stress about it. The lead up and the event itself should be all about fun and be stress free. Just enjoy the ride.

I think it's a good idea to get some kind of general fitting beforehand if you're able to. I don't want what I'm about to say to come off as negative at all because the fitting experience is absolutely amazing at ECPC but you are on somewhat of a time constraint during it.

We had an hour for a putter fitting which the time was split between 3 guys. That was plenty of time though for everyone to get dialed in. We had an hour to spend time with wedges which is also plenty of time. The crunch that I noticed was with the third hour and iron/wood fittings. That time absolutely flies by. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get my spin and consistency figured out with irons which put a bit of crunch on the time I had for woods. Luckily I had done a driver fitting in the past which provided a good reference/starting point for me.

Add in the fact that you're swing may not be as consistent as you would like or are used to. Having that baseline to reference may be beneficial. I know several members of our teams weren't swinging our best that day. Heck I felt like an octopus trying to put on a sweater during my fitting but know what shafts I've had success with in the past and what driver shaft I was fit for was helpful.

Now I wouldn't necessarily go and pay for a fitting or if you don't have options around you I wouldn't be concerned. These guys at ECPC are good. Like REALLY GOOD. If you come in without a clue on what you should be fit in to they will absolutely get you hooked up to what you need. And don't forget to ask them questions. They are unbelievably knowledgeable and half of the fun was chatting about random fitting questions. That fitting is still one of the most memorable things I've ever done in golf, even if @Boder knocked me unconscious for part of it .

But just like we've said with everything else, don't stress about it. The lead up and the event itself should be all about fun and be stress free. Just enjoy the ride.

This is exactly my point. Come in prepared and ready to have a conversation about your set up like you never have had before. A little homework goes a long way to maximizing the experience and feeling confident with the set up once it's done.

It is great having the past Alum to lean on and guide us a bit. Appreciate that very much.

I think for me it’s more of wanting to maximize the time and not waste any chasing a number. I might be poorly saying this, but like you I agree the fitting is an awesome experience and I’m suggesting a way to soak it all in without “pressing” if that makes sense.

I like your idea also. It seems to me that the less time you need to get dialed in for your woods and irons means more time getting setup for wedges and a putter

What if your pre-ECPC fitting is very different from what the Callaway fitters recommend? Say shaft weight or lie angle are quite different. Do you contradict your ECPC fitter and go with your pre-ECPC fitting because you feel your swing was more your "normal" swing, or do you go with the ECPC recommendations which, because it is different, now puts some doubt in your mind? Now if the pre-ECPC fitting and what the Callaway fitter suggests are very similar there are no issues. It is different if you are just getting "numbers" because you can tell the fitter what you typically see with a given shaft, etc., and see for yourself if what you are trying there is an improvement.

I (and a few others) felt we didn't bring our "A" swing to the event. Even then I could not be happier with what I ended up with. After all, when you think about it, how often do you bring your "A" swing to the course on any given day?

What if your pre-ECPC fitting is very different from what the Callaway fitters recommend? Say shaft weight or lie angle are quite different. Do you contradict your ECPC fitter and go with your pre-ECPC fitting because you feel your swing was more your "normal" swing, or do you go with the ECPC recommendations which, because it is different, now puts some doubt in your mind? Now if the pre-ECPC fitting and what the Callaway fitter suggests are very similar there are no issues. It is different if you are just getting "numbers" because you can tell the fitter what you typically see with a given shaft, etc., and see for yourself if what you are trying there is an improvement.

I (and a few others) felt we didn't bring our "A" swing to the event. Even then I could not be happier with what I ended up with. After all, when you think about it, how often do you bring your "A" swing to the course on any given day?

I am so on board with this one Phil. To me, I don't think baseline stuff matters. Spend more time working on grooving a repeatable swing, less time worrying about the fitting and go in with your best you can possible have. Less for competition, and more so you know you can get the best gear possible for you.

Getting numbers ahead of time, then all of the sudden having them different, etc leads to "what should I do". Trust when you get there you will know it if you follow along and your fitters and club people are there for guidance. With that said, I say it every year, and nobody listens, so there is that part too haha.

I'd even ask how many are able to bring your "A" swing to the hideaway the next day? I would imagine the nerves are flowing there similar if not more then what you experience at the ECPC.

That makes good sense to me. I don't have to worry about that too much as we don't have any fitters here anyways :) But, I have a pretty good idea what my specs have been in the past so I can at least start there and let them work their magic. For woods, I will be all in on whatever they recommend. Again, I will be able to give them input as to what I have played in the past. But, ego will be left aside and I will go with whatever they recommend there too. I feel like a starting point is good knowledge and could help streamline things.

@phil75070 and @jb it's quite the conundrum. i think ultimately i tend to lean on your side more than the other. i can definitely see the benefit in being as efficient as possible in the fitting, but we know from countless prior purchases or thp events that if doubt creeps into the mind of the golfer, it's highly unlikely they'll keep the gear. if a result comes back spec'd way different from what i'm accustomed to, i'll speak up and discuss it with the fitter. but short of that, i'm just showing up, swinging, and letting them tell me what's what. sure, i've done fittings in the past, but a fitting with someone who fits tour pros? never before, and highly likely never again. more than anyone else, i should trust what they tell me as gospel truth.

In my case, my irons going into my fitting were so different than the Rogue Irons I was fit in to, I had to trust the fitter.
That my have been a blessing in disguise, because I had to shut the past out. I just wish I had know my swing weight of my old irons because I'm a little more sensitive to that especially because I use a lighter swing weight. Such is life - All I can do is pass it along my thoughts to the next team so they are prepared.

I honestly felt that I had my swing at my fitting, I just relaxed and was just me, I "Swung my Swing" and just let it happen.

I'm inclined to agree with Phil here. There's no guarantee the fitting you do at a demo day or somewhere else will even be a great one, and the fitters at ECPC might see something that stands out to them and take you in a different direction. There have been a few things that have pretty much been a constant through the years for me at fittings, and that's something I told Nick when we got started. I got fit for a shaft that was way lighter than what I've traditionally played, and I've hit two flagsticks with the PW on par 3s this year and I can't remember the last time I've done that prior.

That said, if there are things you know always "click" for you from previous fittings, or you have strong preferences on something, let the fitter know. Especially with the limited time, they'll know what to do with that information.

Lots of good info here guys, thanks.

I don't think going to get fit before hand would be a problem, its only familiarizing yourself with the product more than one might already know. But not going into the event with tunnel vision because of it is key.

My opinion.

I don't think going to get fit before hand would be a problem, its only familiarizing yourself with the product more than one might already know. But not going into the event with tunnel vision because of it is key.

My opinion.

You never know if the product you'll be getting fit into twill be the one that's available at ECPC. The first time I saw a picture of the Apex CF19 was in DNev's presentation.

You never know if the product you'll be getting fit into twill be the one that's available at ECPC. The first time I saw a picture of the Apex CF19 was in DNev's presentation.

Very true.......

I will be very open minded about what they think I should play. I have at least hit most of the offerings, but will do so again just for ideas.

I will be very open minded about what they think I should play. I have at least hit most of the offerings, but will do so again just for ideas.

Even if you are in the first group to get the full swing fitting there will be time to grab different clubs from the bags to warm up and get a feel for. I hit both the '19 Apex and '19 Apex Pro while waiting for the fitting to start.

Back