2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

My wife and parents were skeptical at first, mainly because I never told them about The Grandaddy in the past so to them this was brand new and something I just happened to win online. After explaining the history and showing threads from previous years, they started to get it a little bit more. Told a few friends too, all were mainly jealous about having access to clubs before the public even knows about them, but were shocked when they heard we got them made for us in a day, then being able to take them home.

This is exactly what I've been experiencing. When I told my wife I got into the Grandaddy and get to go on a golf trip in December....she said "no". Then I proceed to tell her what its all about and how big of a deal this is! I showed her the thread last year to let her get an idea of what its all about. Then she started to understand it more and was happy for me...followed by "do I get to come?" :ROFLMAO:

I've told a few people and they cannot believe it too. "So what's the catch" "on a forum? is that a scam?" "Do you get to keep it all?"

I've been telling any new golfers I've played with since I got in and told them about THP and the GD, so I hoped they joined!

I have a few that I have not told yet, but plan to send the link to the live thread once it comes and just say "hey, check this thread out" and let their minds be blown. (sorry in advance if you see this)

To the Grandaddy alumni and current teammates- what was it like explaining what the Grandaddy is about to your friends and family How did they react?

When I attended my first event last year there was an entry fee and I was responsible for my travel. I considered it to be a great value before the event and still do to this day. My wife was skeptical and told me that there was going to be a time share presentation or some hidden catch. I was sure in my mind that this would not be the case but as I told my parents and friends about it they all thought it was too good to be true.

I was sure to show off my shiny new clubs and swag from the event to all the doubters haha. When that PM came from JB my wife already knew how big of a deal the Grandaddy is to me and to THP. My parents and friends who doubted last year are in disbelief of the awesomeness that is the Grandaddy. When I tell somebody about the Grandaddy now I find it hard to convey how special it really is.

The all expense paid trip and full bag of custom fit clubs is easy enough to describe but the true meaning of the Grandaddy cannot be explained in one conversation. The only way for someone to really understand it would be to join THP and read through the old threads. Even then it would take many months or years to gain an appreciation for how special it is.

I believe it to be more of a miracle that she has put up with me for that long.

so you’re saying a reprieve from being around your dumba** is your gift to her?

Question for Grandaddy alums regarding ball? During fitting session does the Callaway fitter suggest which ball in lineup would be the best fit?
It didn't come up during my fitting but at the end I asked the fitter what ball he recommended. He told me the ERC or the CS but after playing this year the CSX TT has worked the best for me tee to green.

My wife has the same questions. Helps even more that I miss my anniversary annually for it.
I usually miss my wife's bday for my Fraternity Alumni Golf event, but her bday won't fall on the weekend now for a few years so I'm good hahaha. Hope all is well Mr. Finley! Looking forward to following along this year!

To the Grandaddy alumni and current teammates- what was it like explaining what the Grandaddy is about to your friends and family How did they react?

My wife is pretty THP-literate (I believe she refers to it as the 'golf cult') so she got the idea pretty quick. But for folks who don't know, they're usually just kind of amazed that it's even a thing that's possible (and really that's where I am still). Like @JB said, I usually give them the link to the event thread and tell them to check it out, as I think the threads speak for themselves honestly more than I can, even having been through it.

so you’re saying a reprieve from being around your dumba** is your gift to her?

Wow, it is one thing to make fun of myself......you want to go on record with this? Maybe this dumba$$ will have to put a beating on your _____.

Wow, it is one thing to make fun of myself......you want to go on record with this? Maybe this dumba$$ will have to put a beating on your _____.
@McLovin We don't need to be giving him whiteboard material. Now he'll be playing angry.

source (1).gif

Captain @McLovin coming in HOT this morning and poking the bear...This is not a good idea!

Well, I guess we have one of the singles pairings figured out.

You mean the first time or...?
Haha! Yeah it was interesting to say the least. Every time there's that jaw drop expression followed by that weird "are you sure?" look. My wife had her me talk about it from the previous years so when she heard I got in, she was pretty happy for me. My father in law was blown away. Still is really, but I can't blame him. So am I.

Well. So. This should be fun to watch.

I believe it to be more of a miracle that she has put up with me for that long.
Most of us in long term marriages probably think the same thing ?

BTW, congrats on the milestone!

Last weekend my best friend asked “What’s the deal with the G on your bag.” “GRANDADDY...the event I’ve been telling you about.” He sorta turned away like he didn’t want to hear anymore. Jealousy can do that to you.

Like the one you put on THPers in Idaho?

Last edited:
Never poke the pitbull. Good luck to you

Congrats on 20 years @JasonFinleyCG - thats a really big deal.

And pass along a big thank you to your wife from all of team THP for allowing this to happen. We are VERY appreciative! :)

i wrote the check. whether my a$$ can cash it is questionable.

My wife has the same questions. Helps even more that I miss my anniversary annually for it.
Congrats on the upcoming anniversary. It’s a damned good woman who accepts such frivolity with a bunch of internet golfer goobs.

Back