2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

Good news for half of it, you don't need an external battery. Just bring your phone charging cable, the carts have USB outlets on them. Next level phone charging maneuver.

Remember the phone cord would be the hardest part. Maybe I should put on in my bag now just in case. LOL.

Remember the phone cord would be the hardest part. Maybe I should put on in my bag now just in case. LOL.

nah the cord is easy haha. I have one that stays in the bag just because a few places around here have the USB charging in the cart.

I like the discussion on forum updating. It's a side of the equation that just seems to happen. So many of the event participants are so good at telling the story as it happens. Then you get JB posting gifs on the fly. The event thread are always a great follow.

@McLovin, I applaud you for taking the time to figure out that side of the event. It's not necessarily as easy as it may seem. Shows you really care about doing a great job (which in sure you will).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like the discussion on forum updating. It's a side of the equation that just seems to happen. So many of the event participants are so good at telling the story as it happens. Then you get JB posting gifs on the fly. The event thread are always a great follow.

@McLovin, I applaud you for taking the time to figure out that side of the event. It's not necessarily as easy as it may seem. Shows you really care about doing a great job (which in sure you will).

I agree. Cart - Horse. Interesting side, and I appreciate seeing McLovin and others here addressing it.

I'm a freshie, so it just means I need to catch up on the old live threads. Wish I would have done more pictures and given more on the Ben Hogan Precision Putter Review before I sent it off. Great opportunity and I enjoyed it, but like golf, always room to improve.

I’m willing to ride with you and post updates McLovin...I’ll even pay for my plane fare lol

But then you’d be an #asscap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ohiogolfer and I were discussing how amazing @dannyle is at live updating - if I recall correctly - he drove the cart , I steered, while he updated.

@mclovin we may need to bring in in to teach a class to make sure we are prepared!

To the members already on the team, @McLovin @mikeg_74 @bigskyirish & @JourdanInMich how is the prep going for December? You guys working on anything specific? Is it too early for swing prep? You guys trying out all the latest Callaway gear??

To the members already on the team, @McLovin @mikeg_74 @bigskyirish & @JourdanInMich how is the prep going for December? You guys working on anything specific? Is it too early for swing prep? You guys trying out all the latest Callaway gear??

As the Asst Capt, no golf for me. Just support, guidance and try to be a calming influence for the guys.

I wish I was playing because I feel like my game is trending in the right direction..

And latest Callaway gear? Check out the signature! Lol

So far, it’s an awesome group and we are in touch most days - talking about our backgrounds, interests, and the like.

Obviously, bringing the event to the forum as best we can is an incredibly high priority. We want you guys to feel like you are there.

We have definitely talked about our games, but it’s so far away that it’s mostly done in broad strokes.

The really cool thing is that we all play mostly Callaway gear by choice, so it should be a pretty seamless transition come December.

i’m working on live updating.

for my game, it is what it is. i will work mostly on short game for practice, and long game during play.

check out the sig and some of the other callaway gear threads. believe it or not, i was super interested in everything before sniffing the event. it’s just that freaking good. right now, 12/14 clubs are callaway/odyssey. and it was that way before getting in.

i think about it everyday, multiple times throughout the day. it’s just so incredible, and still hasn’t sunk in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will also add that our team has really complementary personalities thus far and the captains are doing a great job making us feel comfortable.

for my game, it is what it is. i will work mostly on short game for practice, and long game during play.

check out the sig and some of the other callaway gear threads. believe it or not, i was super interested in everything before sniffing the event. it’s just that freaking good. right now, 12/14 clubs are callaway/odyssey. and it was that way before getting in.

i think about it everyday, multiple times throughout the day. it’s just so incredible, and still hasn’t sunk in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i'd be interested to hear your perspective after you have followed along live with the event. personally having followed the past 4 or 5 grandaddy events pretty closely, those live updates are tremendously entertaining. and no disrespect meant to anybody, but pics and gifs and live posts about hole recaps are more fun for me as an observer than simply posting the results of each hole. don't get me wrong, the results are necessary, but seeing pics of guys hitting shots or gifs of putts is a ton of fun.

i'll even go a step further and say as beautiful as the hideaway is, pics of holes are great but i also love seeing pics of the participants on both sides. that's something i want to encourage my guys to do often. it helps the participants at home put a face with a name.

I agree that pictures and gifs are awesome.

I think the biggest thing is sharing the responsibility amongst the players. While there are some people that are awesome at it @oitw and @93civiccpe, it is definitely something difficult for a lot of people.

Really I think the biggest thing for people is just getting used to the idea of just pulling their phone out and trying to not stress over it. Have fun, no one is going to be weirded out with taking a picture or video for the forum.

Updating the forum is a learned skill, one that only comes with time and practice. I am actually surprised to learn how many forum users don't use tapatalk. It's not perfect but its invaluable during an event. I will also add in the fact that when someone is not playing well it makes updating it even harder because you are stressing about your game.

Lots of good advice in here. The one THP event I went to, I know I had issues with my cellular service and it made updating so much harder. My posts were all out of sync with everyone else. If I were ever lucky enough to get in this event, I'd make sure I switched carriers or did something different so that doesn't happen again.

I like the idea of having your non driving cart partner do the heavy lifting, but also taking a step back and posting updates yourself every few holes.

I should also mention that I loved the end of the day recaps (especially last year) - I think that would be a good opportunity to fill in the gaps with any photos or videos you might have.

live updating is something i'm going to work on, regardless of who i play with. it's not a normal part of most of our rhythm. from what i've gathered, there's so much thrown at us during the grandaddy that is a nonstop mind-blowingly awesome experience. i don't want me or anyone on the team to have to figure out how to successfully update live during a round, while also having their mind blown. kinda like if you need to tighten up a part of your golf game before a big tournament. you would prepare in advance, right? this is no different.

does this help someone get picked? i can honestly say i don't know. there is a fun mystery around grandaddy selections. looking at past teams, there are very new guys who have been picked, who have never posted in a live update thread. but i will say this: content creation and forum engagement will always be an asset, whether that's for this event, other events, or the general health and furtherance of this great community.

Pictures of your competitors are going to be tough, there is that whole thing about an embargo and legal fees and nooope.

Not impossible to photo them but it’s those little things you gotta pay attention to. Granted, you always have a mod watching your back as best we can!

Late to this party

My priorities when updating

The 3 other people in my group - it could be years before I play with, I want to soak up the 4 hours with them and have a good time

I try and take pics when it’s not my turn to hit, I also like to get to my ball then grab pics of the action from my viewpoint

I try to do quick hits and use smart touchpad

If I can only grab a couple of pics I try to grab it of people

Tips/for posting

Try practice updating in the live round thread - start small then work your way up as jdtox said it is a learned skill

Passenger is easier than driver

Fully charged phone no other apps

Bring a battery charger unless the carts are fancy and have chargers

Set a score update template in tapatalk

Download tapatalk haha step 1

Split up responsibilities amongst the cart and or 4some

Focus on the fun - this is an amazing experience regardless have fun - if you have questions about updating - mikeg has your back mclovin has your back there are quite a few thpers who are more than willing to help you out don’t be afraid to ask

Most of all - it’s the mother effing Grandaddy! Enjoy your experience, enjoy your gear and post event share it with the world

Late to this party

My priorities when updating

The 3 other people in my group - it could be years before I play with, I want to soak up the 4 hours with them and have a good time

I try and take pics when it’s not my turn to hit, I also like to get to my ball then grab pics of the action from my viewpoint

I try to do quick hits and use smart touchpad

If I can only grab a couple of pics I try to grab it of people

Tips/for posting

Try practice updating in the live round thread - start small then work your way up as jdtox said it is a learned skill

Passenger is easier than driver

Fully charged phone no other apps

Bring a battery charger unless the carts are fancy and have chargers

Set a score update template in tapatalk

Download tapatalk haha step 1

Split up responsibilities amongst the cart and or 4some

Focus on the fun - this is an amazing experience regardless have fun - if you have questions about updating - mikeg has your back mclovin has your back there are quite a few thpers who are more than willing to help you out don’t be afraid to ask

Most of all - it’s the mother effing Grandaddy! Enjoy your experience, enjoy your gear and post event share it with the world

What do you mean by template? Like something in notes that you can copy and paste?

As the Asst Capt, no golf for me. Just support, guidance and try to be a calming influence for the guys.

I wish I was playing because I feel like my game is trending in the right direction..

Ha! The signature says it all. And I briefly forgot about not playing, but I’m sure you are/will be plenty busy preparing with other assist capn duties!

So far, it’s an awesome group and we are in touch most days - talking about our backgrounds, interests, and the like.

Obviously, bringing the event to the forum as best we can is an incredibly high priority. We want you guys to feel like you are there.

We have definitely talked about our games, but it’s so far away that it’s mostly done in broad strokes.

The really cool thing is that we all play mostly Callaway gear by choice, so it should be a pretty seamless transition come December.

That could be such a HUGE benefit for you guys once you get there. You’re already getting all new shiny new equipment, I’m sure you’ll feel *slightly better and maybe more confident when you’ve played something similar the entire season.

No one will blame you for slacking at work and daydreaming about Palm Springs (at least on THP ha). It seems like such a dream that I’m sure it’s hard to even believe you’ve been selected and you’ll be in SoCal in about 7 months!!

I will also add that our team has really complementary personalities thus far and the captains are doing a great job making us feel comfortable.

Captains already doing captain-like things!

There's not a whole lot I can add that hasn't been said but it's definitely easier to post when you're the passenger. It's possible when you're driving but you're obviously not as freed up to do so. Blurring the images is another thing that was mentioned and is another step that takes a bit of time so you have to plan out when you are going to post.

It's a tough balancing act and after being there I wouldn't want to see anyone short themselves with the experience because they were trying to get more pictures for the forum. This is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity so it's ok to be a little selfish IMO.

Agreed...
Easier to update when you aren’t driving the cart. Also, there is a balancing act between interaction with the forum and making sure you are soaking in the experience of a lifetime...

I wondered what it would be like at an event in which I wasn’t playing, when I was invited to cover the Srixon Event for the forum....

It was a different experience but I had a blast... My total goal was forum interaction , so the players could concentrated on the moment. I think it was helpful to them, or at least to Team Zach...

What do you mean by template? Like something in notes that you can copy and paste?

During the THP Championship & Srixon Event (and the Upcoming Ben Hogan Event). I used a copy and paste template in the notes to update the forum..

I think it would be reasonable to take a chromebook or something and tether it to your phone. a little cumbersome for daily rounds but would make updates quicker during events.

Man I miss everything about this event. I can honestly say I don't think a day has passed that I haven't thought about it. It's so much fun as a veteran now being able to see the excitement of the next participants and hopefuls knowing what kind of experience is in store. Even though I was just there I'm still jealous!

I think it would be reasonable to take a chromebook or something and tether it to your phone. a little cumbersome for daily rounds but would make updates quicker during events.

All phones have voice to text. That gets 90% of it done. The gist of a post really is to just give someone a quick update like they were just running to the bathroom or something they can glance at under their desk. Short, sweet, and the reader knows exactly what just happened.

Do that like 100 times and perfect

Man I miss everything about this event. I can honestly say I don't think a day has passed that I haven't thought about it. It's so much fun as a veteran now being able to see the excitement of the next participants and hopefuls knowing what kind of experience is in store. Even though I was just there I'm still jealous!

I keep taking a step back and can’t believe I am going back. 2015 was so much fun, but a blur at the same time. The event has evolved and I can’t wait to bring this year’s experience to the THP community.

All that get this chance are going to have the time of their life. I enjoyed reading the build up to this year and what is available of the past years. Just top notch experience.

Back