2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

thanks man! i’m so proud of these guys and could not have dreamed it would be so great this early on.

everyone’s prep seems to be going well. good chatter among our group (like 150-200 messages daily).

personally, my game isn’t terrible but it has some holes i’d like to plug. just had irons bent today after a loft/lie/gapping analysis and headed to the course shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m sure not questioning your equipment will go a long way. I was in your boat as well with a hip/back issue and ended up with something a bit different than I’ve historically played, and as that got better I adjusted back to where I usually am and I’m amazed how much of a difference it made. I bet you’ll see things turn around just from that.

thanks man! i’m so proud of these guys and could not have dreamed it would be so great this early on.

everyone’s prep seems to be going well. good chatter among our group (like 150-200 messages daily).

personally, my game isn’t terrible but it has some holes i’d like to plug. just had irons bent today after a loft/lie/gapping analysis and headed to the course shortly.

That’s some awesome chatter, I can’t wait for it to unfold on the forum too, love when the Grandaddy and equipment threads are rolling.

This team is shaping up quite well!!! How’s everyone’s prep going? How have you all been getting along this far?
Thanks man. I think we've been getting along amazingly well. As far as prep goes, I'm just hoping to get my game consistent enough to ensure my fitting is as meaningful as can be. But, there's so much beyond that.

The biggest prep work, that I see anyways, is getting my forum interaction sharpened up. I've got a lot of work to do to ensure everyone had an idea of who I am and what I'm about. I'm a bit of a talker and have been trying to get a thread started that encompasses my history, my prep work, and my general thought process. But, I've got about 6 pages typed out and am in the process of trying to cut it down to something that is actually interesting to read, lol.

Otherwise, as a group, I feel like we're all getting to know each other pretty well. I feel like we are really coming together as a team. We're all very much like minded individuals in the sense that we understand the importance of the event and are approaching it from a very similar perspective/appreciation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Glad to hear it, they have a stellar captain, very well rounded. Your ass-cap ain’t too shabby either.

This little Kong is prep in hopes of getting in one day.. the hat gives it away
ce82fa59d6a66b67853cee9884eb16d8.jpg

Liking the balance. Posting up on that left leg really nicely. How old is he?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This team is shaping up quite well!!! How’s everyone’s prep going? How have you all been getting along this far?

Played some matchplay with GD alum shanewu yesterday. Haven't done that in a long time. Played 27 today to get used to playing that much in one day. Lesson yesterday with driver and fairways was good, just some minor adjustments made to stance for alignment and minor grip adjustment.

For those following along for the Grandaddy ride who are curious who the hell I am :)

I posted a chunk of info with some backstory, pics, and swing video in a separate thread. One of the most important things to me in my role of THP representative for the Grandaddy is that everyone has an idea of who I am and what makes me tick. So, there are no questions too personal, or no information off limits to the THP community.

So, if you want to check it out, I will be posting to the thread below:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...mblings-My-Life-My-Game-and-My-Grandaddy-Prep

I’m working an overnight shift tonight and am planning to get some range time in the morning. Plan to spend most of the time with my wedges and putter.

Do Grandaddy participants get the sticks before they get there?

No. They are fit while there and clubs get built overnight and show up on the course the next morning for them. I’d recommend going back and reading some of the old threads to get an idea of how different and special this event truly is.

When you have several hours, this is last year's live thread.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/111346-2018-The-Grandaddy-Live-Update-Thread

It's absolutely crazy how much happens in five days. Callaway essentially shuts down a portion of their operation so THP can come in, get fit, have their clubs built, then take a huge chunk of their marketing dept out to the desert to golf for a couple of days.

I’ve been focusing on getting my consistency together and working on a more repeatable swing. I’m lining up a lesson pack after pricing it out and looking to get it on the books this week.

Overall been lots of great chatter both on and off the forum

For me, I love the little detailed bits that go into a fitting so I’ve been pulling together all my old fitting data from the last 5 years or whatever I can dig up, even when I just try out a driver or something in passing, I usually make quick note and save it for later.

Its probably overkill but I want to be able to go into things with data in hand so whomever my fitter is, will already have a decent history of events to either build on, or totally rip them up and throw out the window. Either way it goes I’m all in on that part already and watched a few videos they have posted when fitting at their range.

The fact that you just know that everything is going to be calibrated, accurate and interpreted by a true expert vs a random shop, and possibly out date or juiced up makes it all the more exciting.

...I’ve been pulling together all my old fitting data from the last 5 years or whatever I can dig up, even when I just try out a driver or something in passing, I usually make quick note and save it for later.

That's not a bad idea. Going in with somewhat of a baseline, but keeping options completely open.

I’ve been focusing on getting my consistency together and working on a more repeatable swing. I’m lining up a lesson pack after pricing it out and looking to get it on the books this week.

Overall been lots of great chatter both on and off the forum

For me, I love the little detailed bits that go into a fitting so I’ve been pulling together all my old fitting data from the last 5 years or whatever I can dig up, even when I just try out a driver or something in passing, I usually make quick note and save it for later.

Its probably overkill but I want to be able to go into things with data in hand so whomever my fitter is, will already have a decent history of events to either build on, or totally rip them up and throw out the window. Either way it goes I’m all in on that part already and watched a few videos they have posted when fitting at their range.

The fact that you just know that everything is going to be calibrated, accurate and interpreted by a true expert vs a random shop, and possibly out date or juiced up makes it all the more exciting.

i think we should all just chip in and buy a gc quad together. less than $1k per person. it's a no-brainer!

it was fun to blow the mind of my fitter yesterday to tell him about the grandaddy! as special as it is and will be to actually participate in the event (and it will be AMAZING), there's something uniquely special about sharing the joy with others and seeing the disbelief on their faces when you run through the nonstop awesomeness that is the grandaddy.

it was fun to blow the mind of my fitter yesterday to tell him about the grandaddy! as special as it is and will be to actually participate in the event (and it will be AMAZING), there's something uniquely special about sharing the joy with others and seeing the disbelief on their faces when you run through the nonstop awesomeness that is the grandaddy.

It’s just going to be so special. Hitting my irons so well right now, but really looking forward to getting to work with the tour fitters.

How lucky are we ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so pumped to get fitted. I’ve had fittings before but being able to get EVERYTHING they recommend from top to bottom is actually blowing my mind.

I’ve had fittings before but many times it was only 1 or 2 clubs or when it’s been the whole bag, I haven’t been able to purchase everything OR I’ve had to select cheaper or less expensive options due to my own budget. It’s cool to know price isn’t going to be a factor, just go with what the fitter recommends and find it on a golf cart the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fitting should be an eye opener for me. I suspect that my specs will be very similar to what I currently play in irons. But, I have never gone through a wedge, putter, or fairway wood fitting. My wedge shafts have always just been whatever stock shaft came with the club. I feel like a heavier shaft will do me some good. But, that's the beauty of being fit by experts. I am going to go into it with my current specs, let them know what's worked well in the past, and just let them lead the way from there.

Putter fitting will be great. I don't know what the best head/neck combo would be for me. Even length, lie, and loft. I don't know if I could make more putts with a lower lofted putter.

Every time I play, I look at the clubs in my bag and just wonder what it will look like next season. I still suspect that I would gravitate towards an Epic Forged long iron should it be an option. I am really excited to hit those at the top end of the set.

Ya I told my instructor and he was like ya that will be fun!!!! He asked me if I had ever played 1 OEM all the way thru the bag and the answer is no. So this will be a first for me and really looking forward to it.

knowing my tendencies and having been through a few fittings, i just hope i can come in with a decent, repeatable swing. the results i see in fittings are often different from the results i see on the course. something my focus is just different in the two settings. the good news is, a good fitter can suss out the important info and get me on the right track. good thing ecpc will have the BEST fitters!

This. Being able to revisit and observe through this forum the past GD events is special. I prefer stories shared in person, but having an opportunity to interact adds to the experience.
Appreciate the time the team(s) have put in.

Just spent some time at the range working primarily with my 48* and 52* wedges. Focusing on keeping my head down through contact and proper rotation. Keeping my head down has been probably my biggest issue as I want to pull it up early, thus causing a problem.

I think I told both Chris and Mike that I want the majority of my prep to be spent inside 100 yards with my short game as well as making up lost strokes on the green.

knowing my tendencies and having been through a few fittings, i just hope i can come in with a decent, repeatable swing. the results i see in fittings are often different from the results i see on the course. something my focus is just different in the two settings. the good news is, a good fitter can suss out the important info and get me on the right track. good thing ecpc will have the BEST fitters!

My swing was 1000% garbage at the fitting, and the bag I ended up with, from a performance/gapping standpoint has been just about ideal. With the issues I had with the Elevate 95 shafts, I ended up going a little heavier when we replaced them but that's something we explicitly talked about in the fitting - we saw some good results with the lighter weight, so he suggested that I give it a shot and swap out for my "usual" weight if I noticed inconsistencies down the line.

I really couldn't be happier.

My swing was 1000% garbage at the fitting, and the bag I ended up with, from a performance/gapping standpoint has been just about ideal. With the issues I had with the Elevate 95 shafts, I ended up going a little heavier when we replaced them but that's something we explicitly talked about in the fitting - we saw some good results with the lighter weight, so he suggested that I give it a shot and swap out for my "usual" weight if I noticed inconsistencies down the line.

I really couldn't be happier.

I, too, did not bring my best swing but I could not be happier with what I ended up with. Keep in mind the full swing fitting is done in no more than an hour - that's driver, fairways woods, hybrids and irons and deciding how you want to configure your bag from top to bottom - but you will be working with some of the best fitters in the business!

Back