2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

Even during a short vacation, doing some prep work.

7825986eb9b4e0cbfe44a66cd7c246fc.jpg

i had somewhat of a nightmare round on friday. pretty much exactly what you would hope doesn't happen at the grandaddy. the wheels fell completely off. i maintained a decent attitude throughout, but it was embarrassing and very frustrating.

reflecting on that round, the only thing i can say is i wasn't comfortable. the guys i was playing with are all quite a bit longer than i am. they're all good friends, and we had a great time together. but something about the rhythm of that round didn't sit well with me, and i lost all focus. the bright spot was the putter, though.

fortunately, i bounced back on saturday playing with my oldest and posted a number that wasn't stellar but was certainly more in line with what i think my "norm" should be. i hit some really clutch drives down the stretch on holes that have traditionally given me fits.

needless to say, i'm reaching out to a local instructor to set up a series of "check-in" lessons. i want 3 things out of the lessons: 1- some simple feels/thoughts to fall back on when the swing starts to get away from me during a round, 2- give me some help with my short game that continues to be a struggle, and 3- give me some more consistency with the bottom of the arc in my iron swing.

McLovin;n8874561 said:
i had somewhat of a nightmare round on friday. pretty much exactly what you would hope doesn't happen at the grandaddy. the wheels fell completely off. i maintained a decent attitude throughout, but it was embarrassing and very frustrating.

reflecting on that round, the only thing i can say is i wasn't comfortable. the guys i was playing with are all quite a bit longer than i am. they're all good friends, and we had a great time together. but something about the rhythm of that round didn't sit well with me, and i lost all focus. the bright spot was the putter, though.

fortunately, i bounced back on saturday playing with my oldest and posted a number that wasn't stellar but was certainly more in line with what i think my "norm" should be. i hit some really clutch drives down the stretch on holes that have traditionally given me fits.

needless to say, i'm reaching out to a local instructor to set up a series of "check-in" lessons. i want 3 things out of the lessons: 1- some simple feels/thoughts to fall back on when the swing starts to get away from me during a round, 2- give me some help with my short game that continues to be a struggle, and 3- give me some more consistency with the bottom of the arc in my iron swing.

The important part was the bounce back the next day. I would say your round was just a fluke and it happens to all of us.
The lessons will definitely be a benefit.

I too had a rough round yesterday, but I didn’t get frustrated and once I figured out my issue (right hand was sliding under the handle and opening the face on downswinf) I finished the last 4 holes in +1 fashion.

The team has been so supportive and positive, we are in a great place.

Less than four months.

Oh, and got my first TM hat!
d682c0dbcd80054426fd83738c37beb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest question: Do you guys feel a lot of pressure to get better before the Grandaddy? I was thinking about this the other day and what I would do to prepare if I were ever lucky enough to go. I know a lot you have instructors and some of you maybe grind it out on the range - others might just play more in general. I'm not sure I could change a whole lot. I'd worry that I'd be messing with my game in a way that would do more harm than good. Am I looking at it the wrong way? Just curious how you guys are approaching it.

Nappy;n8874801 said:
Honest question: Do you guys feel a lot of pressure to get better before the Grandaddy? I was thinking about this the other day and what I would do to prepare if I were ever lucky enough to go. I know a lot you have instructors and some of you maybe grind it out on the range - others might just play more in general. I'm not sure I could change a whole lot. I'd worry that I'd be messing with my game in a way that would do more harm than good. Am I looking at it the wrong way? Just curious how you guys are approaching it.

The direction I have given everyone is there is no reason to make wholesale swing changes. There isn't enough time to make the swing fixes stick without reverting to old habits. Whether its range time, playing more or seeing an instructor, my advice was get a repeatable swing, understand your miss and have fun. The fitting and the golf experience will go smoother and you will have more fun if you show up with a repeatable swing. IMO no need to "grind" over anything.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

Great question and The captains have not pushed us to feel like we have to improve.

We all obviously want to play well when we get out there, but I am focusing more on maintaining a repeatable swing and then tightening up my short game and putting. I know JB has mentioned bringing a repeatable swing, and I think that’s a wise suggestion.

tomcat;n8638247 said:
Even during a short vacation, doing some prep work.

7825986eb9b4e0cbfe44a66cd7c246fc.jpg

That's a high quality treat!

Nappy;n8874801 said:

I wouldn't say I feel any pressure to improve my game specifically for the Grandaddy. Every year I am trying to play better than the one before. If anything I just want to be more consistent. And, with that being said, I am more worried about the fitting than the competition. I mean, I will try as hard as I can to win my matches. But, I don't use that as a motivational tool to change my game in any way.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

No pressure really other than to have a good repeatable swing. The lessons I have taken where to just improve what I had (I did make a stance/alignment change) but that was necessary. It has come around pretty good and is helping and have picked up some distance too. :clapp:
What will hurt me is when harvest starts I will be down to playing only 1 day a week from Labor Day to Thanksgiving. I will need to find some time in there to do some dedicated practice.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

that was definitely my thought. BUT, i'm still doing to see an instructor. not so much because of swing changes, more because i want a few thoughts to work on from now until then. i'll be very clear about my goals. i am with you that some changes can be more harmful, especially when someone doesn't have tons of time to work on a change. but a small tweak - when it's the right tweak - can pay dividends quickly.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

We certainly don't feel any pressure from within the team (nor from outside the team). This has been a really fun group to get to know over the past few weeks, and I'm looking forward to showing up in Carlsbad and meeting up with old friends that I'll have never met until that day. Great group of guys so far.

That being said, I absolutely want to perform my best in December, but know that my responsibility isn't to worry about December now. My responsibility is to work on little things that can be tweaked, working on honing my putting stroke to insure I'm consistent, primarily, am I positioning my body/eyes over the ball the same every time. Is my swing repeatable? If I'm able to just focus on what's in front of me now, then hopefully, when December arrives, my game will be in a good place.

We have some really good golfers on this team, so I'm going to do my absolute best and have one heck of a fun time.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

No pressure other than I am putting on myself. In reality it’s more motivation than anything. It’s tough for me to get time for full 18 rounds, and I usually only played when i had someone to head out with. Now there is a real motivational factor just to be a serviceable, member. So rather than the range, I’ve been just walking on as a single trying to get in as many holes as I can. I’m not going to get light years better between now and then, but my course management can be better and that isn’t going to improve on the range. So far it’s paying off and I’m playing more consistent golf, with my real goal as being just no more 7s and 8s. Also I’ll be doing a 4 or 5 lesson plan coming up, so I’ll have some things to work on.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

I learned to play golf without instruction by trial and error, mostly error. I hit a wall this year and regressed a good bit. I have always been inconsistent. 10 weeks ago I began a series of lessons to get my issues fixed. and understand why I pull hook the ball. The lessons are working well and my scores are getting a little lower and more consistent. I do not feel any pressure to improve my game before the Grandaddy but I am glad that I had already made the commitment before being selected. I have been to one other THP event and there was no pressure to play good. I will not place any undo stress on myself before the event so that I can go out there without any expectations. In my quest to improve most of my effort has been on the full swing, I plan to work on putting and short game a lot in the weeks heading up to the Grandaddy.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

I don’t feel pressure to get better necessarily just for the event, but we all want to improve at this game and shoot better scores. The grandaddy gives us a little more motivation to do that.

I think we all want to play well though and if you have to ask what “playing well” means to each of us I’m sure you’ll get a different answer from each player. For me, I want to shoot at least one day in the 70s and bat .500 or better in my matches for the week. But ultimately whatever game I have when travel day comes is what I’ll take and I’ll be happy no matter what.

Appreciate all the responses guys! I was just interested to see what your mindset was going into it. Wish you all the best!

Nappy;n8875871 said:
Appreciate all the responses guys! I was just interested to see what your mindset was going into it. Wish you all the best!

No problem! I am more than happy to answer any questions the forum has.

Snickerdog;n8874844 said:
What will hurt me is when harvest starts I will be down to playing only 1 day a week from Labor Day to Thanksgiving.

In endurance training they would call this tapering. Go hard in training, then ease up prior to your event. Not sure it applies to golf.

In speaking with my Dad, a "retired" farmer in Ohio....I hope your busy come harvest time. Not sure Kansas was struck with the same extremely wet and crazy growing season as other parts of the midwest. He didn't plant any soybeans and 60% less corn this year.

Nappy;n8874801 said:

I'm chiming in a little late, but great question. I haven't felt any pressure at all to get better. For preparation, I don't have an instructor or spend much time at the range--I just tend to play as much as I can and I've stuck with that so far. I think that if I tried to switch it up too much or worried too much about improving my game, I could go the wrong way in a hurry. I obviously always want to play well and improve, but I don't want to do anything out of the ordinary that might really throw me off either. I think the thing that will be tricky for me is that I'm really going to want to bring at least a decent swing to the fitting and the event, and, like some of the other guys, my routine of playing a lot can get dicey in the month or so leading up to the Grandaddy for weather reasons. My club installed some simulators this year, so I'm hoping I can at least keep swinging somewhat regularly. And, who knows, maybe the weather will stay decent.

This still has me overwhelmed thinking about it. Still telling people every day about this awesome opportunity we have been given. Funny to see the reactions of some people.

As an aside, what course do you all usually play at the Hideaway? I was gratuitously stalking the golf course via Google Earth, and there are a ton of courses around there....

Bryndom;n8878784 said:
As an aside, what course do you all usually play at the Hideaway? I was gratuitously stalking the golf course via Google Earth, and there are a ton of courses around there....

Both courses.... Pete Dye & Clive

Bryndom;n8878784 said:

We play both. The participants are treated like members with lockers, food each day and eve a private party at a members house.

Im mobile but the live update thread from last year is pretty amazing.

Back