2019 Grandaddy of em All Event with Callaway Golf

MWard;n8880147 said:
Now now, we want a team with winning attitudes on it not the Rickie Fowler special

the rickie fowler special might work at the nest tho

PhillyV;n8881630 said:
the rickie fowler special might work at the nest tho

Covered it, because we can’t unsee a thing or two.

golfinnut;n8881620 said:
Something you won't soon forget, that's for sure. Especially for someone like yourself that loves golf!

I still look back on the first post about once a week to make sure my name is still on the list. :alien:

Here we sit roughly 100 days out before 12 lucky THPers head west and begin the best amateur golf experience of their lives. There has been a lot of great banter so far on what equipment might be waiting for them, anticipation of what The Hideaway really looks like in person, and a lot of nervous energy just thinking about what other teams have experienced and putting yourselves in those situations.

So for those already lucky enough to be headed out west, and for those hopefuls who want to be one of the last three picks remaining, what do you want to take away from The Grandaddy?

I'm not talking about the free gear or winning the belt; I'm talking about that one thing that will keep this event alive for you when it's all over. I want to know the one thing you are most looking forward to or the one thing that you've read/heard from previous teams that has resonated enough with you to make you say "Man, I hope i get to experience that"

The people. The THP'er's. The Zoo Crew. I listen to the guys who have gone in the past and the relationships they made that will last a lifetime. That's what I'd be the most excited about.

do free drinks count?

ddec;n8881674 said:
do free drinks count?

I would be disappointed if you said otherwise.

mikeg_74;n8881669 said:
Here we sit roughly 100 days out before 12 lucky THPers head west and begin the best amateur golf experience of their lives. There has been a lot of great banter so far on what equipment might be waiting for them, anticipation of what The Hideaway really looks like in person, and a lot of nervous energy just thinking about what other teams have experienced and putting yourselves in those situations.

So for those already lucky enough to be headed out west, and for those hopefuls who want to be one of the last three picks remaining, what do you want to take away from The Grandaddy?

I'm not talking about the free gear or winning the belt; I'm talking about that one thing that will keep this event alive for you when it's all over. I want to know the one thing you are most looking forward to or the one thing that you've read/heard from previous teams that has resonated enough with you to make you say "Man, I hope i get to experience that"

Seeing the inner workings of the facilities, talking with R&D.
The bonds I have already made with my teammates to me is priceless, the Team is above and beyond IMO.

The big thing for me, I want to meet the ZooCrew. Every year people talk about how down to earth they are, and how welcoming they are. Its still cool to see the interaction the past Grandaddy participants and the ZooCrew, on the forum and social, and how there is that bond there.

mikeg_74;n8881679 said:
I would be disappointed if you said otherwise.

free drinks lead to crazy fun conversations. Be it on the bus, on the course, at dinner, in the hotel bar. Wherever.

ddec;n8881696 said:
free drinks lead to crazy fun conversations. Be it on the bus, on the course, at dinner, in the hotel bar. Wherever.

The bus ride is the best. You get to chat and understand how all these people got to where they are. It truly helps you understand the brand and what each person brings to the table. The conversations about life and nothing to do with golf are the best.

mikeg_74;n8881669 said:

I keep reading that some guys wished they took a few more pics to help them remember the incredible experience. Your teammates, the ZooCrew, the course, the whole event. It's probably overwhelming but you'd have to make a note to just do it.

mikeg_74;n8881669 said:

Being almost 2 years removed from the event and thinking back to it all (daily still) here are a few that continue to pop up without warning:

- Taking the walk from the bus to EPCP and turning the corner seeing Harry and Finley w/ big smiles on their faces
- Hearing the first cracks of balls beiing hit that morning at EPCP with the sun starting to shine and the morning dew drying out
- Callaway fitters (Hi Amy!) all under their tents awiting the chaos that awaited them
- Luke bringing me a Titos and tonic during the slide show presentation
- Eating dinner w/ Roger Cleveland alone at a table talking about my kiddos and life
- Being at Al's house feeling like everyone was there to see us
- Standing on the patio balcony overlooking the Hideaway layout for the first time
- Watching Harry and Finley go from being our best buddies to "I'm kicking your ass now" mode on the 1st hole
- Almost getting a HIO only to see everyone watching Amanda doing a handstand on a bridge
- Rolling putts w/ Chad on the practice green with a putter that wasn't due to come out for another year
- Walking up to AJ on the range as he proclaimed this was the first drive he was hitting with the Rogue driver ever (and getting that on video)
- Meeting the 11 other dudes from all parts of the country who I will always have this story to run back through whenever we want

i keep coming back to the bus rides. having that kind of unrestricted access is so exciting. not like i'm planning on pestering them with a thousand questions. more like 874 questions. EACH.

If there was only one thing I could do all over again, it would be the bus rides. There are guys I wish I could've connected with more. It's a long ride, but that time does by so quickly and you can't get it back.

Last edited:
Nate;n8881731 said:
- Meeting the 11 other dudes from all parts of the country who I will always have this story to run back through whenever we want

this is a really big one for me too. there's been talk of how we can all finagle the same connecting flight! the 10 of us have already bonded in a huge way. seeing us all together in the flesh for the first time is going to be pretty emotional for me.

Can't wait for those personal connections. As said before, the free gear and great course is amazing. But, getting to hang out with this awesome THP team and mingle with the Zoo Crew will be something I will cherish forever.

Oh, and free drinks is great too!​​​​​​​

farva.gif

mikeg_74;n8881669 said:

what do i want to take out of it?

friendships. in depth information about products and R&D processes. and of course, playing a bomb ass course and taking it to the zoo crew, (predominately either finley or jeff :))

biggest learning stuff I would be interested in is involved with putters and drivers. Putters: just hearing how they continue to add tech that actually works and what are the limits to that. Drivers sort of the same.

Any remember the Jaws wedges? what are yalls thoughts.....

The thing I would value most about the trip and that I would take with me is new friends with my shared interest/obsession. I only have one good friend that plays golf and it would be awesome to have more.

That has been the best and most surprising thing about going to Idaho for the Budget Championship. When I signed up, it was because I miss competitive events and it was at a dream course of mine with some cool swag. As it gets closer, meeting some of the guys that I message and banter with on the forums and via texts has become what I am looking forward to most.

What make this event so unique, it's not only the venue, but the people as well!

I continue to think about the all the time the team has spent chatting with each other for the past month (for me at least), that when we touch down in San Diego it'll be like a family reunion. Actually, will likely get to make a portion of the flight with a good number of them, as it appears that based on where everyone lives, we could be on the same aircraft. Then get to meet up with the Zoo Crew and start getting to know the people that we've listened to on podcasts, chatted with on the forum, and social media tweets. I think that many of us like Callaway because of their people and how much they've invested in the average golfer via THP.

dacatalyst41;n8881742 said:
If there was only one thing I could do all over again, it would be the bus rides. There are guys I wish I could've connected with more. It's a long ride, but that time does by so quickly and you can't get it back.

Yep, The Bus ride to the Hideaway is such important part of the trip. You so much want to meet and talk with your teammates, some that you have met for the first time however you know that your time with Zoo Crew is so limited that you have to make sure you spend that time with them.

Soak it in, literally ride the bus with your eyes as wide open as you can. See and Hear as much as you can.

mikeg_74;n8881669 said:

I want to take home the feeling of friendly but fierce competition. I play all of my rounds casually so I do not have much experience in competitive rounds. I hope to rise to the occasion and play well but there is so much more to the Grandaddy than competition to worry about how good or bad I play. The fitting process is something I am looking forward to especially wedges and putter. Meeting my teammates and getting to know them will be great as well.

Back