On Thin Ice - Your 2019 Bag Setup

Nothing at the moment but I reserve the right to change that opinion if I see something shiny that I like at any moment!!!

Got some trackman time with the Taylormade M5/6 line and just like my irons, night and day. The M6 D-Type with the Atmos Black 6 stiff was amazing. I'll be adding it to my back come Feb/Mar.

Last season was a decent one for me but I do have two clubs that seemed to not quite be a good fit.

First is the Nike Covert 2.0 3W with Adila RIP X Alpha shaft, although there were some nice shots with it the misses far outweighed the benefits. I think it just has too much shaft in it for me and I would push or flare the ball right off the tee and turf. Forced me into playing a fade and generally not consistent, I need a club that bridges the 2iron to my Driver and this was not fitting the bill. I am going back to my Nike VR Pro 3wood with the factory installed S shaft for 2019.

Secondly is my putter, have been using a Nike Method Midnight 008 for the past 5 years. While I like the look of it I can't seem to make many putts, in fact my putting averages have risen over the past couple years even with my ball striking being much improved. I decided to look into what styles of putter suit what type of stroke and also what type of stroke I actually have. I have never looked at this before as I have been a generally decent putter and never thought it a huge weakness. The 008 has a flow neck that is more suited for a in-square-in stroke, I have always fancied myself a straight back-through motion. In testing my theory I happened to have a Nike Method Concept (Masters edition) I picked up as a collectable that is face balanced with a double bend neck more suited to my stroke type. I can definitely see the line better with the Concept putter, it's neck and face balance remind me of an Odyssey I used to game and put well with.
Yes the Concept putter is eye catching (in good/bad) and will earn some commentary on the course but maybe it will be the missing piece in my game and is going in for the 2019 season.

The driver didn't last long into 2019. It has already been replaced. The rest of the bag should be safe for the rest of the year.

This may be the first year where nothing is being considered for replacement. I ended on 2018 on a high for golf and the time I'm spending in the gym and dome this winter should allow that to flow into 2019.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I'm seeing a LOT of iron pondering in here!
If Miura made their new iron for lefties, I'd be in that group. I'm glad they don't though.

Gotta let those PXGs ride, dude.
No worries there. With our daughter playing now and our son wanting to start this year, the only clubs I'm buying in 2019 will be for my wife.

I think irons are most definitely at the top of the list. Ended the year with P790s in the gamer bag. They are fantastic, but I think I might need a touch more help. What's going to replace them? I don't know. 585 and new g410 irons are near the top of the list. C300 forged keep creeping in my mind too(thanks Sposey), although I'm not sure it offers me more than what I have currently. If those Hot Metal Pro's come out, those will certainly be a considered option too.

No worries there. With our daughter playing now and our son wanting to start this year, the only clubs I'm buying in 2019 will be for my wife.

Buy her some Miuras?

Buy her some Miuras?
Right now XXIO is near the top of the list with Cobra and Callaway.

Driver - it just doesn't work with my swing now

Wedges - had them a few years now so they are due to be refreshed

If money wasn't an issue, the whole bag would be updated this year but I can get by with the current fairways, irons and putter

Wedges. Everything else is less than a year old.

Bag in sig;

Hybrid may leave at times; insert Mizuno HM Pro 4i.

Driver: very indecisive - new drivers look so pretty and present such promise.

Last edited:
I’d like to play significantly more than I did last year. If I start doing that almost my whole bag will be in danger. I’d like to get Fitted for some irons to replace my off the rack Speedblades, and I’ve found a few hybrids and fairway woods I like better than the ones I have. I doubt my Tour Edge One Out goes anywhere, and there’s not much point replacing my putter since I’m just as lost with any other putter in my hand. Those two are probably safe.

Driver wont be going although I'm sure I'll have a hit of a few over the year.
I feel I need a good fairway wood so that will happen soon.
After that I could do with some nice new wedges but still love the ATVs.
The big question for me is do I get new irons, I love my I500 3 iron but feel the rest of a set may just go too far, the PSI I have are getting very worn out now though.

As always, driver is the Spinal Tap drummer of my set - - there seems to be a new one every week!! Funds permitting, I’m going to give Epic Flash & Tour Edge a try this season; aside from driver, I’m pretty well set for now.

Not only thin ice, but already replaced/dropped.

3W
4-6I
My infomercial hybrid

3W is just gone.
4-6I and Infomercial club replaced with BB OS Hybrids, 3-7

Since there are no "magic" sticks in my bag, everything is on thin ice. It's really a case of different degrees of ice thickness for me.

Most likely to not be replaced includes the bag itself, the putter, and the hybrids. In general, I'm fairly pleased with each of them.

There are several items that might be replaced, but very likely won't be. I like my Cobra One Lengths, but I did pick up a used set of Mizuno JPX EZ Forged irons recently. I just wanted a set of forged irons to try every now and then, but I don't really see myself switching. I'm also pleased with my 58* wedge, but it is several years old. There's a chance I might update there. Also, I'm not unhappy with my Project (a) balls, but I want to test the Snell MTB Reds (once they have the yellow ones back in stock).

There are 3 clubs on very thin ice. My seemingly never-ending search for reliable fairway woods puts both of mine at high risk. I'm always open to suggestions for easy to hit, tight dispersion fairways (length is a very minor criterion for me). I wasn't really planning on replacing my G30 driver. However, I watched Andy The Average Golfer's comparison on You Tube of the G30 versus the G400 Max and was impressed with the Max. That, combined with the comments I've seen here about the Max have me jonesing for one. My club pro keeps mentioning the G410, but I'm not as impressed with what I've seen about it compared to the G400 Max. As with the fairways, I'm more interested in consistency than length.

I've been "fit" for irons twice before (both times at PGA Superstores). Neither "fitting" impressed me. However, I threw out the idea of being fit at Club Champion a few days ago and the wife said sure. Shocked me to no end that she agreed and agreed quickly. So, there might be a fitting in my future, though I'll admit that the PGA Superstore experiences left an extremely bad taste in my mouth. The closest Club Champion to me is about 1.5-2 hours away (one-way) so it's not something I'll just run out and do.

As usual, my FW is on super thin ice. Truth be told, a lot of comes down to the fact it has hot melt in it and is SUPER muted. We'll see how long it sticks around!

As usual, my FW is on super thin ice. Truth be told, a lot of comes down to the fact it has hot melt in it and is SUPER muted. We'll see how long it sticks around!

You can't hold out. There will be a new fairway soon.

Didn't you just do a bag fitting? :alien:

You can't hold out. There will be a new fairway soon.

Didn't you just do a bag fitting? :alien:

Sheesh, I can't even post a thought around here anymore, haha! Yes the fitting was last September and I've been in struggle mode with the Rogue 3W damn near the entire time. It's primarily the user as usual, but I'm certainly going to look into other options to see if there's a better club out there. The Tensei CK Pro Blue isn't going anywhere...this is just about the 3W clubhead.

Sheesh, I can't even post a thought around here anymore, haha! Yes the fitting was last September and I've been in struggle mode with the Rogue 3W damn near the entire time. It's primarily the user as usual, but I'm certainly going to look into other options to see if there's a better club out there. The Tensei CK Pro Blue isn't going anywhere...this is just about the 3W clubhead.

Nah, its all in good fun

Back