2019 PING G410 Drivers

40121545593_3cc9757181_k.jpg

Our club got our G410 demos (10.5* Regular SFT and a 9* Stiff G410, both with Alta CB shafts), so I took the 9* tiff out for a spin today.

Our course isn't super long (just under 6,700 yards from the blue tees), but there is a big premium placed on accuracy as there basically is no room for error outside of the fairways + 1st cut (lots of creeks and cliffs). Which is all to say I don't use driver a whole lot during a regular round.

My FIL got to hit the G410 at the PGA show in Orlando and really liked it, so I was pretty pumped to finally get to try it.

I hit the G410 on 5 holes and here are my thoughts:
I didn't like the sound, flight, or distance as much as my previous G400 (Alta CB) or my current G400 Max Aldila X-Torsion), but I hit 5/5 fairways with it.

They weren't pretty shots, kind of a loopy draw even with the weight in the fade position but, again, they were all in the fairway.

My natural tee shot is a fairly strong draw so I typically open the face up and play a baby fade. With the G410 I put the weight in the fade position and took my normal swing, so the weight definitely kept it from drawing anywhere near as much as would be normal.

Also, the ball flight was really high for a 9* Stiff for me. Almost as high as my old 10.5* G400 with the Alta CB shaft.

Bottom line: this will not be replacing my G400 Max (and I didn't like it better than my old G400). It did perform, but the shape and sound combo just did not give me enough confidence for me to be comfortable.

I hope PING comes out with a G410 Max if they can make it better than the G400 Max and if they do I look forward to testing it.

Last edited:
2019 PING G410 Drivers

Finally got to hit this today. 10.5 at the range and 10.5 and 12* at the shop.
Tried both Alta CB red 55 R and the Tensei Orange R. The Tensei felt superb, silky smooth and I liked the slightly shorter length. I can see this shaft being a popular option. It seemed to lower my launch 1* and about 400 rpm less than the Alta.

Slow swinger and in this offseason I’ve struggled to get ball speeds over 130 mph lately and hit 130-131 a few times. Very consistent ball speeds too especially for playing the shaft at 45.75” as I normally play a 44” driver.

I love the look at address too. The fins on the rear look awesome to me. Very futuristic kinda transformer-like.

I’ve seen a couple YouTube reviews where they fumbled around with adjusting the weight. I had no issues. I simply loosened it a little. Kept my finger on it and slid it keeping it in the track to the next position and tightened it. Took all of 10 seconds. My only knock was the weight. The chrome looks cheap. If I bought one I’d paint it matte black to match the head.

0e21f1369dd764944e5c9e546cc870b2.jpg

09c51880a73b1d6e94672fb5a9628e29.jpg

308c38c069fa0d4b666719bc1a35ad13.jpg

L

Curious about the head weight with this one. Ping lists it at 206g and I assume that includes the screw, like they always have. I just measured 3 heads and they all come in around 200g (give or take 2 grams a side). I cant recall if the last line they included the weight of the shaft adapter, but I don't believe so, just the screw and head. Am I remembering that incorrectly?

Curious about the head weight with this one. Ping lists it at 206g and I assume that includes the screw, like they always have. I just measured 3 heads and they all come in around 200g (give or take 2 grams a side). I cant recall if the last line they included the weight of the shaft adapter, but I don't believe so, just the screw and head. Am I remembering that incorrectly?

Just screw and head to my memory.

Just screw and head to my memory.

Yeah mine too. Which makes this one odd. Three separate heads all came in at similar weights (with in a gram or two of 200 on either side), yet on their website, it lists it at 206. Everything else is nearly dead on. Swing weight on all 3 came in at d3, d3.1 and d3. Loft were all with in a .25 degree of where they should be. So something is amiss. They can't be that far off, right?

Yeah mine too. Which makes this one odd. Three separate heads all came in at similar weights (with in a gram or two of 200 on either side), yet on their website, it lists it at 206. Everything else is nearly dead on. Swing weight on all 3 came in at d3, d3.1 and d3. Loft were all with in a .25 degree of where they should be. So something is amiss. They can't be that far off, right?

D1? Oof.

I dunno, that’s too many consistent measurements that were low for there not to be something to it.

My three adapters here are all 5g, so maybe we are both off?

D1? Oof.

I dunno, that’s too many consistent measurements that were low for there not to be something to it.

My three adapters here are all 5g, so maybe we are both off?

D3.1, not D1.
I have a bunch of adapters that range from 4.5 to 6.1 so maybe that is it. Seems odd to include that in head weight though.

D3.1, not D1.
I have a bunch of adapters that range from 4.5 to 6.1 so maybe that is it. Seems odd to include that in head weight though.

Yeah, including that in the numbers that were talked about would be odd because I don’t remember them doing that before.

yeah I don't think the adapter was included on my weight for the G400 head. Screw yes, IIRC

0c862f2c21a0bdc6df305eab9d336acd.jpg

Oof. That’s really a big difference from the claims. I keep thinking QC can’t be that off, can it?

Oof. That’s really a big difference from the claims. I keep thinking QC can’t be that off, can it?

It cant be. Not with 3 heads. I think the website has it wrong. I reached out to their web guy about it.

It cant be. Not with 3 heads. I think the website has it wrong. I reached out to their web guy about it.

I look forward to what you get back because 6g is a big deal, imo.

Probably no help.but here is my g400 with just the screw. Their site also lists at 206.

0b64ef770135075b0beed3fa2cbe78f5.jpg

That does help. They must be including the adapter, or have very terrible scales.

That does help. They must be including the adapter, or have very terrible scales.

yeah they must be including it, which I find kind of odd to be honest. Then again, that weight does need to be accounted for right?

yeah they must be including it, which I find kind of odd to be honest. Then again, that weight does need to be accounted for right?

Must be, but man that’s odd, no?

Yes, and I guess its not accounted for when discussing shaft weight. Great, chalk up another no industry standard for analyzation of clubs.

Not to go too far off topic, but I was checking shaft frequency, which for G400 was all over the freaking map, but a bit better here with the 410. The amount of places that use a 7" vs 5" is like 60/40. So that gives to completely different numbers, but fortunately they end up in a similar spot. The G400 stock shaft was so wildly different shaft to shaft that it made my head hurt. The G410 seems to have reigned that in a bit, fortunately.

well it should be considered part of the head because you can't use the head without it

Yes, and I guess its not accounted for when discussing shaft weight. Great, chalk up another no industry standard for analyzation of clubs.

Not to go too far off topic, but I was checking shaft frequency, which for G400 was all over the freaking map, but a bit better here with the 410. The amount of places that use a 7" vs 5" is like 60/40. So that gives to completely different numbers, but fortunately they end up in a similar spot. The G400 stock shaft was so wildly different shaft to shaft that it made my head hurt. The G410 seems to have reigned that in a bit, fortunately.

Did they change factories for the 410 shafts or add in more QC? I remember talking back when they were coming out and some things changes behind the scenes, which made it appear there was less oversight.

I’d say I’m surprised, but I’m really not. Good shafts still, but I always assumed there would be some analysis variance in them. Just a hunch.

well it should be considered part of the head because you can't use the head without it

Not all companies measure it that way though.

Well then might as well include the shaft in there too.

Did they change factories for the 410 shafts or add in more QC? I remember talking back when they were coming out and some things changes behind the scenes, which made it appear there was less oversight.

Not really. They are still bypassing shaft companies and making their own. Last year one batch had really bad issues. By using an OEM, you have a QC check, bypassing that and you have to trust the factory to do their own QC.

Well then might as well include the shaft in there too.

Not really. They are still bypassing shaft companies and making their own. Last year one batch had really bad issues. By using an OEM, you have a QC check, bypassing that and you have to trust the factory to do their own QC.

Eek.

I always got on ok with the Altas when I tried them, but that **** is scary.

Back