2019 PING G410 Drivers

I think one of the biggest problems with price increases, is how well a company can tell the story.

We did <<insert significant tech story>> to make this our best driver yet. It just happens to be a year where at least a few companies and doing really big things (or so the story goes) so criticism of product quality and the reflected valuation of said product is elevated. It probably doesn't help that Ping feels kind of last out of the gate... so it's not even like you're just fighting against your last release anymore.. Now people can measure you up against most other things out there at release.

It's a rough situation to release last, at least from my perspective.

I think one of the biggest problems with price increases, is how well a company can tell the story.

We did <<insert significant tech story>> to make this our best driver yet. It just happens to be a year where at least a few companies and doing really big things (or so the story goes) so criticism of product quality and the reflected valuation of said product is elevated. It probably doesn't help that Ping feels kind of last out of the gate... so it's not even like you're just fighting against your last release anymore.. Now people can measure you up against most other things out there at release.

It's a rough situation to release last, at least from my perspective.

I think what's in bold nails it, but they way Ping overcomes any doubters is by having a product that is as good or better than other offerings that have had the same tech. And that certainly remains to be seen for the G410 series, but I feel like it's going to exceed expectations.

in fairways yes, drivers no

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it seems to me like you are giving Ping a hard time for having the G410 and G400 Max both at market with different hosel adapters when I believe Callaway is doing the same thing with the Epic Flash as compared with the Rogue and Epic Star (both of which are still for sale on Callaway's website).

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it seems to me like you are giving Ping a hard time for having the G410 and G400 Max both at market with different hosel adapters when I believe Callaway is doing the same thing with the Epic Flash as compared with the Rogue and Epic Star (both of which are still for sale on Callaway's website).
Epic Star is bonded and Rogue drivers have the same adaptor as all Callaway dual cog adapters are since 2015. Rogue fairways are also bonded so they lack an adaptor. So color me confused....

Epic Star is bonded and Rogue drivers have the same adaptor as all Callaway dual cog adapters are since 2015. Rogue fairways are also bonded so they lack an adaptor. So color me confused....

The new BB hybrid and I believe the flash fairways have a different optifit adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new BB hybrid and I believe the flash fairways have a different optifit adapter

That would be a very fair and accurate comparison.

Yes. This is what I was getting at. Giving Ping a hard time for it when Callaway is doing it now, and basically every mfg does it when they update/improve their adapter.

I forgot (or never noticed) that Epic Star was bonded, but my original comparison of the Epic Flash vs. Rogue adapters stands.

Yes. This is what I was getting at. Giving Ping a hard time for it when Callaway is doing it now, and basically every mfg does it when they update/improve their adapter.

growing pains always happen when hosel sleeves change, but man talk about getting with the times Callaway needs to make the new Optifit their standard across all lines

I forgot (or never noticed) that Epic Star was bonded, but my original comparison of the Epic Flash vs. Rogue adapters stands.

100 percent agree, it’s a non issue.

100 percent agree, it’s a non issue.

Strongly disagree with this. Just like a line can be viewed differently or a color, how can one say non-issue if they have 12 shafts lying around for the driver? Its an issue (just like sound, paint or anything else) if someone thinks it is, right?

Strongly disagree with this. Just like a line can be viewed differently or a color, how can one say non-issue if they have 12 shafts lying around for the driver? Its an issue (just like sound, paint or anything else) if someone thinks it is, right?

Are they supposed to never change? Did you get over it when apple changed to the lightning adaptor? *

Are they supposed to never change? Did you get over it when apple changed to the lightning adaptor? *

I didnt say that, nor do I care, but if people bought a bunch of shaft adapters lets say, I understand why they would be at least annoyed when the brand changed it. Regardless of brand. Just because its a non-issue for some, does not mean it will be for all. We heard it with Callaway, TaylorMade and every other brand that does it.

I like this one. As a golfer who likes adjustability to help dial in optimal results, this one hits all the marks for me in terms of what’s being offered to help me play my best off the tee. I do wish the tech story was told better because then it would help those who think the price increase is a reaction to what others are doing in the market versus the gains this relates is offering over the previous version. The MPW is a little “clunky” in the sense it’s not the sliding weight we’re used to, but I can see it really dialing in a player during a fitting and not needing to be changed. This again goes back to a story to tell that isn’t being told.

The adapter is a sticking point & I look at it from a point of view of being a long time Ping driver guy, my shafts are useless with this release until a new adapter gets installed. Cobra, TM & Callaway have used the same adapter for the last few releases iirc. I think for golfers who play those brands it’s, makes it easier to at least test out the newest offering and compare before making a purchase.

Overall I’m sure the performance will shine and those who can will put this one in the bag. It just feels like it’s a reactionary release by the lack of a marketing push.

You raised a good, valid point, just needed a little steering to get there. There is a transition period and you're right, every company goes through it when there are changes to the adapter. And its great we are seeing another push on the adaptor for weight savings and added adjustability. In the end, its a momentary pain in the butt if you are brand loyal, but nothing additional changes if you are switching brands/adapters and the sort, you're still getting a new adapter.

I like this one. As a golfer who likes adjustability to help dial in optimal results, this one hits all the marks for me in terms of what’s being offered to help me play my best off the tee. I do wish the tech story was told better because then it would help those who think the price increase is a reaction to what others are doing in the market versus the gains this relates is offering over the previous version. The MPW is a little “clunky” in the sense it’s not the sliding weight we’re used to, but I can see it really dialing in a player during a fitting and not needing to be changed. This again goes back to a story to tell that isn’t being told.

The adapter is a sticking point & I look at it from a point of view of being a long time Ping driver guy, my shafts are useless with this release until a new adapter gets installed. Cobra, TM & Callaway have used the same adapter for the last few releases iirc. I think for golfers who play those brands it’s, makes it easier to at least test out the newest offering and compare before making a purchase.

Overall I’m sure the performance will shine and those who can will put this one in the bag. It just feels like it’s a reactionary release by the lack of a marketing push.

Is a slide track really that ubiquitous? Of the 2018 releases, it wasn't found on heralded drivers such as the Rogue (entire line), M4 (Y-track on M3), F8/+ (F6+ was the only Cobra product ever to have a 9-position "sliding" weight), G400MAX, ST180 (on GT180), EXS, TS2/3, 5/785

I will admit that the empty space between settings on the 410 make it look like it is supposed to be an infinitely-adjustable track, perhaps it existed as such early in the design process. Perhaps creating (and subsequently supporting) a track system altered the head enough that PING engineers felt that they wouldn't have enough discretionary weight to move around.

The adaptor has to change at some point, does it not? An example was noted above of Apple w/ Lightning port, also the increased use of USB-C by other manufacturers, even Callaway is (and should be) transitioning to a new adaptor

i disagree with this. price was the biggest point of contention in the cortex thread. price has been discussed in the callaway thread, and the taylormade thread.

for me, the hardest part of the ping price is what seems to be a lack of a tech story. they are 15 years behind their competitors in moveable weight technology, and when they finally offer it their system already feels very antiquated and in no way innovative. there is still no carbon fiber, so their competitors are lapping them in materials. and the shaft options are very limited.

but performance trumps all. the 400 series was outstanding. if they can build on that success (and some early reviews indicate they may have done just that), that is no small feat and the price is more palatable.

Crazy that not a lot of the techy bells and whistles and latest materials, etc and no marketing pushes yet they have two of the best drivers on the market in g400 lst and max.

Crazy that not a lot of the techy bells and whistles and latest materials, etc and no marketing pushes yet they have two of the best drivers on the market in g400 lst and max.

High MOI and Distance - gets the market pumped every time.

But if you're coming out with adjustability, do it right, not as an afterthought.

And give us some shafts with feel. I paid more for my Ping than a PXG.

And yes, with all the bells and whistles and composite tech, Ping does seem like your dad's driver (that would be me). lol.

But I still work and so does Ping - but distance is not quite up there it appears with the biggest boys.

High MOI and Distance - gets the market pumped every time.

But if you're coming out with adjustability, do it right, not as an afterthought.

And give us some shafts with feel. I paid more for my Ping than a PXG.

And yes, with all the bells and whistles and composite tech, Ping does seem like your dad's driver (that would be me). lol.

But I still work and so does Ping - but distance is not quite up there it appears with the biggest boys.

I don’t think their adjustability is an afterthought. They added 3 extra positions for loft and the ability for 3* in lie. Their mwt matches what their custom work on tour and in their shop were doing for orders from fittings/requests

Their stock ping shafts are some of the best on the market and are designed to work with their heads and in all the years I’ve hit ping drivers their stock pairings work for the large majority of golfers. They do a lot of testing before a non ping shaft gets added as an offering.

Upgraded shafts are more of a one off than standard outside of internet golfers.

There’s plenty of golfers who have seen the g400 line hit the ball longer than other brands including myself. It was longer than epic, 917 and m3/4.

This looks like a strong follow up performance wise to what we saw from the G400 line. I was a huge fan of the Max. I'm not a fan of the trackless weight system. I realize it can be dialed in during a fitting, but for those who might tinker afterwards, it seems it could be a clunky system. That said, this story is more about some level of adjustability added to the high MOI and forgiveness story Ping pairs with their forged face. It'll be fun watching the feedback on this one.

To each their own, I suppose. Wish I had that kind of spark with G400. Hoping that when LST gets released it blows me away.

To each their own, I suppose. Wish I had that kind of spark with G400. Hoping that when LST gets released it blows me away.

Exactly. Test, demo, get fit or blind buy whatever one chooses to do and play what works for them. Could be distance, dispersion, looks, sound, feel, price, brand preference or anything else.

Not every club is going to work the same for everyone.

I don’t think their adjustability is an afterthought. They added 3 extra positions for loft and the ability for 3* in lie. Their mwt matches what their custom work on tour and in their shop were doing for orders from fittings/requests

Their stock ping shafts are some of the best on the market and are designed to work with their heads and in all the years I’ve hit ping drivers their stock pairings work for the large majority of golfers. They do a lot of testing before a non ping shaft gets added as an offering.

Upgraded shafts are more of a one off than standard outside of internet golfers.

There’s plenty of golfers who have seen the g400 line hit the ball longer than other brands including myself. It was longer than epic, 917 and m3/4.

I own G400 Max and G400 head. Had my my consistent round with the G400 - 13/14 fwys, and then changed to the Max, of course. TInker, tinker, troublemaker.

I think the execution of the weights was an afterthought - it works but a slight track at each weight would have sealed the deal.

I tried the Alta and the Ping Tour - just did nothing for me. Put two Altas in there, same model, same head, same swingweight and one shaft performed consistently better than the other - my instructor had Trackman and he put each of his guys through a similar test to see the consistency of the shaft.

At $540, give us some red meat.

I don't believe the 410 is a significant improvement - it's a refined version. I'll wait for next year. Thx. But for those who don't have a 400, I'd say 'go for the 410.' Or heck, buy a 400 and save some cash for a shaft.

I own G400 Max and G400 head. Had my my consistent round with the G400 - 13/14 fwys, and then changed to the Max, of course. TInker, tinker, troublemaker.

I think the execution of the weights was an afterthought - it works but a slight track at each weight would have sealed the deal.

I tried the Alta and the Ping Tour - just did nothing for me. Put two Altas in there, same model, same head, same swingweight and one shaft performed consistently better than the other - my instructor had Trackman and he put each of his guys through a similar test to see the consistency of the shaft.

At $540, give us some red meat.

I don't believe the 410 is a significant improvement - it's a refined version. I'll wait for next year. Thx. But for those who don't have a 400, I'd say 'go for the 410.' Or heck, buy a 400 and save some cash for a shaft.

Imo you’re greatly underestimating the difference that weight can/will make in fitting the heads, that addition is not something I’d call just refining myself, 16g is a **** ton of weight in a design.

Imo you’re greatly underestimating the difference that weight can/will make in fitting the heads, that addition is not something I’d call just refining myself, 16g is a **** ton of weight in a design.

Maybe we have a failya to communicate on my part -- the perimeter weights from all account do affect ball flight - Ping does as Ping says.

My point -- I would have liked better execution of that weighting, maybe a slight track. Just don't see see the extra $140 in value over the G400 Series. Some don't need the weighting - I spent too much $$$ on lessons for close to center hits - lol - and want max MOI. So weighting not needed, I hope. But a short track to make small changes on either side - that would have been fun.

And while we're at it, how about a Ping Tour 55g shaft along Helium lines or something similar - smooth with some kick.

Oh, heck, I might as well admit it. Once you like a TPT shaft, it's tough to go to anything else. Spoiled man-child that I am.

Back