2019 PING G410 Drivers

I think anyone with a G400 head now should try this, maybe the improvements aren't great, maybe they are. You should try the new one just to see if the performance is better.
I stated before, I am a fan of the red so there is that but wouldn't buy on color alone.

Maybe we have a failya to communicate on my part -- the perimeter weights from all account do affect ball flight - Ping does as Ping says.

My point -- I would have liked better execution of that weighting, maybe a slight track. Just don't see see the extra $140 in value over the G400 Series. Some don't need the weighting - I spent too much $$$ on lessons for close to center hits - lol - and want max MOI. So weighting not needed, I hope. But a short track to make small changes on either side - that would have been fun.

And while we're at it, how about a Ping Tour 55g shaft along Helium lines or something similar - smooth with some kick.

Oh, heck, I might as well admit. Once you like a TPT shaft, it's tough to go to anything else.

But, let’s not forget that much weight (16g) being that far back in any of the three spots will be a benefit to the MOI.

It’s a new world for PING. Callaway not TM jumped right in to full on sliding weights, it’s no surprise ping didn’t either, is it?

But, let’s not forget that much weight (16g) being that far back in any of the three spots will be a benefit to the MOI.

It’s a new world for PING. Callaway not TM jumped right in to full on sliding weights, it’s no surprise ping didn’t either, is it?

No surprise, Ping seems to approach new tech (composite, weights) very slowly. But the drivers perform. I mean, I've got two G400 heads at home. 16g is a lot weight - yes. I've got a heavy center weight in both heads at D5. I might have bit if they had more shafts. I know we all like shiny and new but I told myself buy CPO or wait for Ping to lower the price - it's a 2 yr cycle for driver for me. I just don't want to spend time adjusting to a new shaft/head combo.

But everyone else - have fun.

No surprise, Ping seems to approach new tech (composite, weights) very slowly. But the drivers perform. I mean, I've got two G400 heads at home. 16g is a lot weight - yes. I've got a heavy center weight in both heads at D5. I might have bit if they had more shafts.

I’ve got both as well, performance doesn’t lie and this club will tell it’s story in that over time for sure

I'd have to think that a housing for a sliding weight is much heavier than what Ping did here too. And it's already a heavier head in the industry. Maybe they just didn't see the benefit of the absolute fine tuning of a sliding weight vs the weight of the infrastructure to implement it. Or maybe that could change if they had, say, a carbon crown. 16g is a lot and they say it can provide 10 yards left and right, so if you are in between you can just play a 5 yard cut or baby draw. No different than we saw from Cortex losing the rear sliding weight for heel and toe weights that they felt more effective.

In the end, I want to hit the LST badly.

At $540, give us some red meat.

Just wanted to clarify that street price is $499 and this year Ping is also offering the Tour shaft as well as the Tensei CK Orange and EvenFlow Black at no upcharge in addition to the Alta CB Red shaft.

Just wanted to clarify that street price is $499 and this year Ping is also offering the Tour shaft as well as the Tensei CK Orange and EvenFlow Black at no upcharge in addition to the Alta CB Red shaft.

I think, no I know this will be a great performing driver for the majority of golfers. I still think that these options are light as stock options compared to the rest of the industry at the price point they are now hitting. Kudos for adding more, but I do think Ping is trailing others in stock options.

Tour shaft at no up charge is a nice feature. I really liked that shaft in my G30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someone help me out here. i'm genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky, because i don't know much about ping's proprietary shafts.

a dead horse has been thoroughly beaten over the made-for shaft discussion. is not ping engaging in the same basic practice? i feel like other oems are blasted for including made-for shafts, but ping's made-for shaft is lauded as being of high quality.

what's the difference?

someone help me out here. i'm genuinely asking, not trying to be snarky, because i don't know much about ping's proprietary shafts.

a dead horse has been thoroughly beaten over the made-for shaft discussion. is not ping engaging in the same basic practice? i feel like other oems are blasted for including made-for shafts, but ping's made-for shaft is lauded as being of high quality.

what's the difference?

Ping actually makes their own shafts - they have an in-house shaft designer.

Is that correct? I thought I remember being told the Pro shaft was a UST Chrome Elements (?)

Is that correct? I thought I remember being told the Pro shaft was a UST Chrome Elements (?)
Well, we met the guy on the Ping factory tour during the THP Championship, so unless they were messing with us....

Perhaps they only make the Alta line and the iron shafts?

not doubting, just trying to better understand. you say they make the shafts, do you mean they cut the graphite, roll themselves, etc? or they have someone come up with the specs and farm out the production to another company (e.g. ust and/or aldila)? i guess i still struggle to see the distinction.

not doubting, just trying to better understand. you say they make the shafts, do you mean they cut the graphite, roll themselves, etc? or they have someone come up with the specs and farm out the production to another company (e.g. ust and/or aldila)? i guess i still struggle to see the distinction.

Nah, you’re right, they have a designer but the shafts are not made in house by them.

2019 PING G410 Drivers

I was under the impression their shaft guy worked with UST to achieve the specs and feel Ping wanted. Then the same with Nippon for the AWT.

I think it’s different from what we typically call a “Made for” because this isn’t the case of a shaft manufacturer having their version of the Alta CB and then Ping also including a version of the same shaft, but with cheaper materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many companies have engineers that deal in shafts. TaylorMade was bombed for their "Made Fors" for years, yet Tom DeShiell was their in house shaft designer, who is one of the most brilliant shaft guys out there and designed basically all Matrix Shafts after that.

And I believe the tour is made by UST

Depends on the year.

Depends on the year.
I'm kind of laughing at myself. I bought and keep a Chrome on hand because I liked the Pro shaft so much in the G30. So much for that plan :act-up:

None of those shafts appeal to me. Tried the Ping Tour 65, the Alta CB55 last year - meh. Someone made the Alta privately. Ping Tour? Don't know about last year - did not add life or kick to my swing.

They need something at 55g, mid/high launch, mid spin with kick and consistency.

But then, I'm spoiled. Using a TPT Golf 17 Series - now that's a shaft. Now I need one with a Callaway adapter. Already using one in my G400's.

Last edited:

I think they moved shaft design in house recently. The iron shafts used to be UST as well, if I recall.

In regard to the shafts.

From looking at shaft labels over the years:
Blue G30 TFC, Alta G Blue, Alta G400 Copper and Alta G410 Red are made by Aldila.

Black G25 TFC, Tour shafts are made by UST.

AWT is made by Nippon.

I reached out to UST a year or two ago and Asked them about the Tour shaft. Danny Lee replied and said it’s based on the Elements Chrome with slight tweaks in weight and a bit softer tipped.

In regard to the shafts.

From looking at shaft labels over the years:
Blue G30 TFC, Alta G Blue, Alta G400 Copper and Alta G410 Red are made by Aldila.

Black G25 TFC, Tour shafts are made by UST.

AWT is made by Nippon.

I reached out to UST a year or two ago and Asked them about the Tour shaft. Danny Lee replied and said it’s based on the Elements Chrome with slight tweaks in weight and a bit softer tipped.

Shafts, since I seem to be the one on the con side of Ping not offering enough options, especially in the 50-58g range.

Look, don't get me wrong, I luv my Ping G400 heads, and almost bought a set of i210s, I use Ping Stealth Wedges. But when I think they're lacking, I feel the need to point it out because I'd like to keep purchasing their product.

Found an Alta CB 55 in the dark shadows of my golf closet - gonna' try it out and see if I misjudged it 1.5 yrs later. It was hiding from me, as well it should. It's gonna' get spanked.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but it seems to me like you are giving Ping a hard time for having the G410 and G400 Max both at market with different hosel adapters when I believe Callaway is doing the same thing with the Epic Flash as compared with the Rogue and Epic Star (both of which are still for sale on Callaway's website).

The adapter on the Rogue is the same as the Flash. The Epic star is bonded, which IMO is a completely different situation.

That's the fairway. I literally put the shaft from my XR16 into the Epic Flash a few days back. And the change of adapters allowed them to go back to adjustability from a bonded setup.

Back