2019 Pro V1 vs Pro V1x

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good review James! Titleist doing Titleist things for sure, incremental improvements to a proven and winning product aren’t a bad thing at all, and they’re staying consistent with their offerings.

As an aside I really like the review format for those highlighting the differences between previous models and between the two balls, well done!

Good review James! Titleist doing Titleist things for sure, incremental improvements to a proven and winning product aren’t a bad thing at all, and they’re staying consistent with their offerings.

As an aside I really like the review format for those highlighting the differences between previous models and between the two balls, well done!

Thank you for the kinda words good sir.

Took a little different path on this one and I think it works!

Thank you for the kinda words good sir.

Took a little different path on this one and I think it works!

Really enjoyed this format and all the comparative data JMan. Truly well done!

Squeezing out an extra mph is a welcomed sight imo. I played a lot of golf with the 17 V1X and liked it, but did notice a slight distance dropoff vs another brand. Adding the yellow option is a bit of a departure for them as well.

It’s cool to see products performing as advertised, so kudos to Titleist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an awesome write up with tons of data to digest. I’ve never known which ball is truly right for me, but this clears a lot of that up. Definitely going to give the New X a try when the yellow drops.

Yay! Data! Nice job, James. I’ve been playing AVX, so it might be time to try Pro V1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Really enjoyed the numbers charts for comparison, helps to understand what they claim and if it actually worked. Pretty crazy that Titleist could increase ball speed a couple mph while keeping everything else the same. I still think there are just as good of balls in the market for less money than Titleist but no doubt these are a solid offering.

I haven't played a Titleist ball in quite a few years but they have gotten my attention by coming out in yellow. I will be trying the ProV1x in yellow when it hits stores.

Great review Jman!!! Really want to try the X as that is the one I played last year.

Great write up James and love the details with the previous versions. Having played these much of last year, I couldn’t tell much difference with spin, but chalked it up to being an amateur and not reel being able to discern the differences between the two.

Seeing the numbers bear out on the new line, it’s good to see speed was strained and spin fell in line with each ball.

Appreciate the review.

Excellent review James. Love the analysis, data and comparisons. I used to not be a fan of ProV1 because I just couldn't get any distance out of them in comparison to other balls. The 2017 version changed that for me and it sounds like the 2019 version will be even better.

Great review James, really good to see side by side numbers and having played a dozen of the PV1x I like them and would play them again.
That said I played them head to head to the Snell red and did not see a huge difference and the Bridgestone Tour Bx also seems to right in the same performance curve. It comes down to paying for the Titleist logo on the ball or not for me.

Great review James. Enjoyed seeing the data comparisons with the charts. Really helps paint a better picture.

I see you had fairly significant shorter distances with the Prov1 compared to the X in the last chart, yet the numbers showed less spin. I always equated less spin = more distance. Here’s my question: do you think the ProV1 would’ve been longer if the ball speeds were more similar? Or would we only see the distance be further for the Prov1 when using a longer iron like a 7iron? Or maybe neither and this is just a product of your particular swing that shows the X is a better fit?

My apologies for the long-winded question!

Really digging the head to head charting and comparison between years. Well done

Great review James. Enjoyed seeing the data comparisons with the charts. Really helps paint a better picture.

I see you had fairly significant shorter distances with the Prov1 compared to the X in the last chart, yet the numbers showed less spin. I always equated less spin = more distance. Here’s my question: do you think the ProV1 would’ve been longer if the ball speeds were more similar? Or would we only see the distance be further for the Prov1 when using a longer iron like a 7iron? Or maybe neither and this is just a product of your particular swing that shows the X is a better fit?

That's the tough part of recording data at times for us non-cyborg writers, haha, the numbers/swing-speeds don't always match up like you want them to in the end. Sadly, the weather put a damper on my ability to get out and get more shots in, in that range, as I literally started losing review golf balls in the soggy ground it was that wet out.

I think if you equalize speeds, distances are close, but for me in that distance the spin off of the 1x is always going to take the cake on a personal level.

Additionally, you can compare the 7i thing in the charts further up the review, though I left the distances out of that, the rest of the data tells the story pretty good IMO.

Thanks for reading dude.

James, what a job well done here. Love the very easy to understand comparison. Like you said, the gains aren't huge, but they are there like Titleist claims. I mean it's 1-2mph with the driver which means at least 3-4 yards longer not counting in spin effects, which is pretty substantial. I'm with you that the ProV1x has been the ball for my game that I would grab from the line. I wonder how you'd fare with the AVX and how it'd compare to the others for you. In any event, fantastic stuff here.

Very well laid out review! As mentioned by everyone else, I too really like the ball to ball comparison. It tells a good story about the improvements a company has made on their ball and where that might come into play for us. I'm a numbers nerd and welcome this format again in the future. Thanks again!!

James, what a job well done here. Love the very easy to understand comparison. Like you said, the gains aren't huge, but they are there like Titleist claims. I mean it's 1-2mph with the driver which means at least 3-4 yards longer not counting in spin effects, which is pretty substantial. I'm with you that the ProV1x has been the ball for my game that I would grab from the line. I wonder how you'd fare with the AVX and how it'd compare to the others for you. In any event, fantastic stuff here.

I've played with the AVX a bit at the end of this summer. Too low launch and too low spin for me.

Thank you!

I know you're a human and not a robot as stated in the article, but your final chart is super telling in my eyes. That is a rather large gap between ball carry comparing the two. Assuming the average person would see the same results, I would rather have a ball that carries that extra little bit as I have a tendency to come up short.

I know you're a human and not a robot as stated in the article, but your final chart is super telling in my eyes. That is a rather large gap between ball carry comparing the two. Assuming the average person would see the same results, I would rather have a ball that carries that extra little bit as I have a tendency to come up short.

This is part of why I really didn't want to include that chart though. Look at the ball speed differences, those are going to equate more from SS differences than anything else. This is why I would take that one with a grain of salt and the reason I wish I'd had more time to really flesh out that sample size.

I've played with the AVX a bit at the end of this summer. Too low launch and too low spin for me.

Thank you!
Good deal. The V1X looks like it has some really good numbers for you! Appreciate you coming back and responding to questions and comments.

Additionally, you can compare the 7i thing in the charts further up the review, though I left the distances out of that, the rest of the data tells the story pretty good IMO.

Thanks for reading dude.

I did read that part as well. But I think you did a great job with this one. Thanks for the work you put into this one James and I appreciate you answering my question as well!

Outstanding job James (as usual!!!)!!! Enjoyed the review!!

Great comparison. I sounds like they were able to do what they set out to.

The 1X has always been a better fit for me with more spin and higher flight, it sounds like I need to give the latest version a try.

Back