Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

They do not seem evenly spaced, so I would not be sure. I don’t think most of them would impact performance, but one of the nine I looked at today would definitely have its performance impacted by the gap in the mantle.

I think this would be a great discussion coming from any golf ball source. Glad you guys are engaged with it.

I went through what I had in my bag and found all of my urethane balls had similar marks (TP5, TP5x, Pro V1x, and Snell MTB-x)

WaRO6y6.jpg

70jRMFH.jpg

9kWVdiG.jpg

hFE2Uhl.jpg

F6RAxOV.jpg

None of mine seemed large, and they looked smaller than the letters on the TP5/X balls:

Sv1Ov0E.jpg

So if the manufacturers think or have tested/confirmed these letters don't make a difference it would be hard to think the little imperfections would. Though the information posted above from Srixon seems to contradict the idea of putting letters on the balls. I think there are several OEM's that have some sort of letters/markings intentionally put on balls like on my TP5/X.

Also, my son has a large amount of urethane Vice Pro Soft in both red and white. I pulled about 15 out from various boxes and not a single one had any imperfections like the above balls. BUT, the covers are much thinner and matte finish so that could have something to do with it.

I also have some Taylormade Distance+ balls new in the box and didn't find any bumps on them either. But they have an ionomer cover.

Just did a quick scan over the recent posts so not sure if it's been said. I have seen those pin prick marks on all tour balls, I think it's from the 3 prong stands that they set the balls on during finishing. There are manufacturing videos or ads from either Titleist or Callaway that show these spinning and being sprayed with a "finish". The letters or numbers would be mold ID for quality control I think.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Hello, first time poster. I have a question concerning my recent purchase of the mtb-x. I've previously purchased the black model and have been extremely pleased with it. After a couple of rounds with the x, I've found it to have a very strange flight. On well struck shot off the driver (for me), it seems the ball just sort of drops out of the air at its peak and dies. Idk if this is an indication that this ball is too low spinning for my swing or if it's a defect. For reference, same rounds also shot TP5 and BRX-S, and was able to hit those well enough.

Hello, first time poster. I have a question concerning my recent purchase of the mtb-x. I've previously purchased the black model and have been extremely pleased with it. After a couple of rounds with the x, I've found it to have a very strange flight. On well struck shot off the driver (for me), it seems the ball just sort of drops out of the air at its peak and dies. Idk if this is an indication that this ball is too low spinning for my swing or if it's a defect. For reference, same rounds also shot TP5 and BRX-S, and was able to hit those well enough.

Welcome to THP.
I haven't seen too much low spin out of it. I have seen some higher than I like spin off the tee though personally.

I'm still playing these in between other balls of similar design (firmer urethane balls) and don't see much difference. I tried a Vice Pro that I actually found on the course and did like it much better than the Pro Plus.

I'm going to grab some Z-Star's with the Father's Day BOGO deal as that makes them super cheap for what you get. I'm interested to see how they compare as I haven't played them in a while and don't think I've hit the current version.

Ive played these at home in chicago with the awful weather in april and may and it was hard to really tell what kind of performance this ball truly had. its been so cold and wet that every drive would plug, although i did feel this ball traveled further and had good bite around the green.

Ive been in San Diego and now Palm Springs the past week and played the mtb-x vs bridgestone tour b x and b xs. The initial testing in chicago left me thinking the mtb-x would be my go to ball but out here in 100 degrees it hasnt lived up to the hype imo. both bridgestone balls carried further on drives. mtb-x was slightly longer with irons, but for me thats not what i need. Spin wise i felt it was equal to the b x, but the b xs had more spin around the greens. it is not a bad golf ball at all, i would gladly play it... but after the mgs ball test i dont think it was far and away the best ball ever. very good ball, yes, my gamer ball, no.

Ill stick with the b xs for now

Ive played these at home in chicago with the awful weather in april and may and it was hard to really tell what kind of performance this ball truly had. its been so cold and wet that every drive would plug, although i did feel this ball traveled further and had good bite around the green.

Ive been in San Diego and now Palm Springs the past week and played the mtb-x vs bridgestone tour b x and b xs. The initial testing in chicago left me thinking the mtb-x would be my go to ball but out here in 100 degrees it hasnt lived up to the hype imo. both bridgestone balls carried further on drives. mtb-x was slightly longer with irons, but for me thats not what i need. Spin wise i felt it was equal to the b x, but the b xs had more spin around the greens. it is not a bad golf ball at all, i would gladly play it... but after the mgs ball test i dont think it was far and away the best ball ever. very good ball, yes, my gamer ball, no.

Ill stick with the b xs for now

With the draw with the MTB-X being “affordable” tour performance... is the performance difference between it and the BXS enough to pay minimum $10 more per dozen? Trust me I’m not picking at you... I play the prov1X and was thinking of giving the Snell ball a go. I’ve played the BXS and enjoyed it.

They didn't pick the MTB-X as the best ball. The picked it as one of 3 top performers (along the Bridgestone Tour BX and ProV1 X) and all for different reasons.

With the draw with the MTB-X being “affordable” tour performance... is the performance difference between it and the BXS enough to pay minimum $10 more per dozen? Trust me I’m not picking at you... I play the prov1X and was thinking of giving the Snell ball a go. I’ve played the BXS and enjoyed it.

Oh no. I totally understand your question. “Is the difference enough to pay $10 more?” Simply than answer is no.
Preference wise and $10 difference tho for me isn’t a big deal. I simply prefer the Bridgestone ball

But again to answer your question for anyone considering the mtb-x, no there’s no big difference . It is a great ball and performs in every area

Got a couple more of these for some now really in-season testing and got to play 18 holes on Sunday morning. While my score may not have necessarily reflected it, I think these balls just flat out perform. They seem to spin enough around the greens for me and, perhaps most importantly for my game, they just seem to go in the long game. At least three times I hit drives that I thought weren't great (and while they weren't) the distance I got out of them was 10-20 yards more that I would have expected. Will game these for a few more rounds before deciding for sure, but I may be going with a 5 dozen order in the near future.

So im gonna contradict my last post in this thread, but now that ive been through a dozen of these and played in better conditions, I dont think they are on the same level as Pro V's, TP5's, Z-Star's etc....

At the $32 price range I think its fairly priced. I would not put this ball in the premium level of $40 and up. Some reviews ive heard on other posts of Snell balls confirmed what I found while playing them, as in some balls have quality control issues. This was my first ever experience playing Snell. At the Shaft Up event this week I completely shredded 2 balls after 2 holes from wedge shots. I do think the distance and speed gains on these balls are real, but they go offline much easier than other balls ive tried. Obviously swing and path are gonna be the main thing that dictate where the balls goes and side spin, but the MTB-X to me seems to fade/draw more than something like the B X or B XS

Distance and spin are good, but durability became a problem after finishing the whole dozen. These are accurately priced at $32 and I would not compare them anymore to the top premium balls. I think these are more relatable to the q-star tour or TM Project-A (all great golf balls but not quite premium)

So im gonna contradict my last post in this thread, but now that ive been through a dozen of these and played in better conditions, I dont think they are on the same level as Pro V's, TP5's, Z-Star's etc....

At the $32 price range I think its fairly priced. I would not put this ball in the premium level of $40 and up. Some reviews ive heard on other posts of Snell balls confirmed what I found while playing them, as in some balls have quality control issues. This was my first ever experience playing Snell. At the Shaft Up event this week I completely shredded 2 balls after 2 holes from wedge shots. I do think the distance and speed gains on these balls are real, but they go offline much easier than other balls ive tried. Obviously swing and path are gonna be the main thing that dictate where the balls goes and side spin, but the MTB-X to me seems to fade/draw more than something like the B X or B XS

Distance and spin are good, but durability became a problem after finishing the whole dozen. These are accurately priced at $32 and I would not compare them anymore to the top premium balls. I think these are more relatable to the q-star tour or TM Project-A (all great golf balls but not quite premium)
Interesting.. I am by no means a high ball speed player but I played an entire 18 with one of these and had fairly new cobra MIM wedges and did not notice any unusual wear. Mine did have a brown mark from hitting a tree but they performed fine. Has anyone seen batch to batch quality issues?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Interesting.. I am by no means a high ball speed player but I played an entire 18 with one of these and had fairly new cobra MIM wedges and did not notice any unusual wear. Mine did have a brown mark from hitting a tree but they performed fine. Has anyone seen batch to batch quality issues?

I've been playing the yellow MTB-X last few weeks, bought 2 dozen, no problems other than it's a noticeable seam.

Put these in play for the first time for 9 holes yesterday. Played the same ball for 9 holes using irons only and there's not a mark on it.

Felt great in and around the greens and held well on approach shots. Will definitely be keeping them in play for the foreseeable.

Put these in play for the first time for 9 holes yesterday. Played the same ball for 9 holes using irons only and there's not a mark on it.

Felt great in and around the greens and held well on approach shots. Will definitely be keeping them in play for the foreseeable.
Played another 18 today and used the same ball and had very little marks of any sort. Ball held up well.

I ordered a box of the X, just to see what all the hub bub was about. Frankly, I did not care for it. It felt as hard to me as any ball I have hit in a long time. I played it side by side with a ProV1X and the Titleist felt much softer to me, even though these are supposedly within the same category of ball, as I understand it. I am going to use it again, as I purchased a box, and see if I can become accustomed to it.

Tenputt;n8890692 said:
I ordered a box of the X, just to see what all the hub bub was about. Frankly, I did not care for it. It felt as hard to me as any ball I have hit in a long time. I played it side by side with a ProV1X and the Titleist felt much softer to me, even though these are supposedly within the same category of ball, as I understand it. I am going to use it again, as I purchased a box, and see if I can become accustomed to it.

I’m so glad you posted this. I had almost forgot I put one in play last Friday because my time was so short with it. After 3 holes my playing partner said to me what is wrong with your driver it sounds weird...I told him I was trying a different ball and he promptly said put it away it sounds terrible. I didn’t care for the harder feel either and I felt like it coming up short distance wise with my irons as well.

I’ll probably try one again at some point but first glance I was not a fan.

Seems like Snell balls lost some momentum. Any idea why ? Thought about trying them again but yellow was out of stock.

I used to love the MTBx, but honestly just forgot about them.
Seems their Canadian site has no stock to sell.

Seems like Snell balls lost some momentum. Any idea why ? Thought about trying them again but yellow was out of stock.
it seems they struggled a bit with inventory which is my speculation why the chatter has been dampened

They're suffering from some terrible fluctuations with the supply chain.

Figures too that it's now when I decided to return to Snell. First round with the MTB Black, I had 3 birds. Next round with the MTB-X, 2 birds and an eagle. Been alternating between them but I think I'm leaning toward the X.

I’ve played many of the MTB Black and my only real complaint is the cover is not as durable, in my experience, as say, a Pro-V1. (But they’re also about half the price). Other than that, really good golf balls.

Been playing them almost exclusively for a few years now. Like them both but lean toward the Black. Will continue to use them until the OB shots become fewer and further between. Inventory has been an issue over the last 18 months. Even when everything is "in stock" there is a limit 2x per purchase.

Covid was a S.O.B. Supply chain for them got wrecked. I think they are getting back on track though.

Back