Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

based on an interview with Dean I just watched he said the reason for the change was based on feedback on the red
1. Spin on approach shots was too much (especially with wind)
2. Driver distance was too short.

New ball addresses both of those issues

Same interview also had testing vs the ProV1 (2019 version) and Snell at 115 mph actually beat the ProV1 in ball speed and distance, and then in slower swing speeds it was right there with the ProV1 and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Testing was done at 115, 100 and 85 mph driver speeds, and included Driver, 7I and wedge

i didn't notice any performance difference between red and black when i tried them at the orlando gathering. only difference i saw was in the visuals, and i much preferred the black.

to hear this new mtb-x will be firmer, is kind of a turn-off. the mtb black is on the firmer side of what i prefer. going even firmer than that, i dunno...

i didn't notice any performance difference between red and black when i tried them at the orlando gathering. only difference i saw was in the visuals, and i much preferred the black.

to hear this new mtb-x will be firmer, is kind of a turn-off. the mtb black is on the firmer side of what i prefer. going even firmer than that, i dunno...

Going off of the site, the compression rating is between 85-90 so it's definitely a firmer feeling ball. I'll still try it but my preference is something a little softer.

I'm certainly going to try these, though they probably won't fit my game. I should think these are less expensive to manufacture than the red, being a 3 pc.

I am a fan of the black and will keep playing them. I'm hoping for another "original" MTB release. Loved the original.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm certainly going to try these, though they probably won't fit my game. I should think these are less expensive to manufacture than the red, being a 3 pc.

I am a fan of the black and will keep playing them. I'm hoping for another "original" MTB release. Loved the original.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The original was my favorite, too.

I played the MTB Red in Yellow all last season and liked the ball. Never compared it to the Black because with my bad eyesight I need Yellow and only the Red came in Yellow. I have a slow swing speed and enjoy a softer ball. Might buy a trial pack to compare both but I think the MTB Black may be a better choice over the X for me.

I really hope the x is what I wanted the red to be. Really really.

Going off of the site, the compression rating is between 85-90 so it's definitely a firmer feeling ball. I'll still try it but my preference is something a little softer.

Several years ago, most of us would kill for a pro ball that was between 85-90.

I really like the original MTB and didn't see a big performance difference between black and red. I am already putting my order in to try out the mtb-x.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I will say, it’s interesting to me to hear comments of liking the original MTB but not so much the Black, when I thought the Black was essentially the MTB still?

I will say, it’s interesting to me to hear comments of liking the original MTB but not so much the Black, when I thought the Black was essentially the MTB still?

Yes. According to Dean, they are very very very similar.

That’s what I thought I remembered him saying. Makes it curious to see some of the comments. But, the brain is strong and the name change often works into brains as something much more than just primarily a name change I suppose?

I have been playing the MTB Red over the last few months and have really liked it. Perhaps I would lose 5-10 yards on a perfect drive over a different ball like a Z-Star, but the Red seemed to be very straight off the tee, which to me was more important.

I tried to get along with the MTB Black, but just could not get it to stop spinning sideways. After a combined 10 holes, I gave up on the Black.

I am kinda sad the Reds are going away, but I do understand why. Maybe I was in the small minority that was buying them.

Black feels firmer off all clubs. They may be similar performing, but the feel is different.

Black feels firmer off all clubs. They may be similar performing, but the feel is different.

Interesting. Im wondering where that is coming from, tech wise. Virtually same compression and materials. When I was at their office talking about it (we have some THP TV spots on it), he said they were nearly identical.

I thought the Red robbed me of some distance and came off a little too high off irons, and I'm a golfer for which the Red wa marketed. It needed refinement. I had good spin with it around the greens, but for distance and spin, I told them the Chrome Soft was preferable.

This was my experience as well. Combined with the shinier cover it was a big no go for me. I'm glad to see they have addressed those issues because I still think this is one of the best values in golf.

I have been playing the MTB Red over the last few months and have really liked it. Perhaps I would lose 5-10 yards on a perfect drive over a different ball like a Z-Star, but the Red seemed to be very straight off the tee, which to me was more important.

I tried to get along with the MTB Black, but just could not get it to stop spinning sideways. After a combined 10 holes, I gave up on the Black.

I am kinda sad the Reds are going away, but I do understand why. Maybe I was in the small minority that was buying them.

The X is the new Red - give it a shot. Less spin off driver and mid to short irons should help keep it straight.

I play the Black and don't recall much difference with MTB. If the X is an improved Red, that's great.

I started with the original most of last year and thought it was a great ball. Played the black last week in the Bahamas. To me, the difference was negligible.

I'm going to be trying the MTB Black again (thanks BuckNasty!!!), but I feel like the MTB-X is what they should've released instead of the MTB Red. I certainly hope it works out well for them, and I think it'll yet another fantastic value that will perform with if not better than most of the big brands!

based on an interview with Dean I just watched he said the reason for the change was based on feedback on the red

Same interview also had testing vs the ProV1 (2019 version) and Snell at 115 mph actually beat the ProV1 in ball speed and distance, and then in slower swing speeds it was right there with the ProV1 and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Testing was done at 115, 100 and 85 mph driver speeds, and included Driver, 7I and wedge

I've been a big fan of Snell. I have tried both the Red and Black, but consistently prefer the black because of the two issues above with the Red. If these have been addressed, I will be playing the X this year.

I don’t get this release. Am I missing something? Isn’t this doing exactly what the red does? More
Spin with the mid to shorter irons with a firmer feel? I’m a big glean of the red and have been using it exclusively since the beginning of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t get this release. Am I missing something? Isn’t this doing exactly what the red does? More
Spin with the mid to shorter irons with a firmer feel? I’m a big glean of the red and have been using it exclusively since the beginning of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much. If you like the red, you'll probably like the X as well, since it's really just an update to the red. It is addressing the most common complaints people had about the Red, and the name change is to improve the public's understanding of the line (since people frequently mixed up red and black).

Just placed my pre-order for the test pack of MTB Black and X in Optic Yellow. Only downside is having to wait awhile for them. I tested the Black vs. Red a couple of weeks ago, and preferred the Black. I imagine I'll get similar results with the Black vs. X, but that's why I ordered a test pack first.

i think i saw this same video you're referencing. the most interesting thing about that video is that driver spin was low, wedge spin was high, but iron spin was low. and iirc that was the case among all swing speeds. the video stopped short of saying the mtb-x sounded bad, but the impression i got was that the feel/sound was not pleasant.

The Red was a confusing release for some, so if viewing the two, I think X will be like it is for most companies. It appears most have two premium balls (or more) with X being the firmer of the two.

Without reading the whole thread, is this just a rename for the Red? I've only got 1 round under my belt with the Red, but I think I might have liked it more than the Black. Is the X the Red with a new name?

Without reading the whole thread, is this just a rename for the Red? I've only got 1 round under my belt with the Red, but I think I might have liked it more than the Black. Is the X the Red with a new name?

It’s not just a rename.

Back