Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

I finally got out on the course today with a sleeve of the MTB-X in yellow. I played the front nine with the MTB-X and the back 5 with the MTB Red, with the final 4 holes using a '17 TP5X and a Bridgestone E6 Soft so that I could compare.

The MTB-X definitely feels more firm than the MTB Red. Now that I have tried them side by side, I can see why some people were not a fan of the Red. The Red felt softer to me on compression, especially with irons. I liked the MTB-X much, much more than the MTB Black I tried last year. I found the MTB-X to have much less spin off of the driver than the Red and the Black. With respect to chipping, I was able to get the MTB-X to spin, but i could not quite get it to spin as much as the TP5x for some reason.

Overall, I would say that the MTB-X plays similar to the Z-Star, and given the choice, I would pick the MTB-X from this year's options. I want to give the MTB-X another round, which I may do this afternoon to compare further with the TP5X. I tend to like a softer feeling ball, and the TP5X certainly feels softer. But performance wise, I think the MTB-X may be better off the tee, but perhaps less so on wedge shots. When taking price into consideration, the MTB-X is a heck of a deal especially when bought in bulk.

I know course play is obviously what matters more than simulator numbers but ive found the MTB-X to spin more than the TP5x regarding simulators. I saw the same thing with lower driver spin on the MTB-x vs TP5x, but irons and wedges I showed higher spin with the MTB-x over TP5x (at least on full shots)... Chipping/pitching I still have to play more with the MTB-x to get a better idea. TP5x has been my ball for 2 years but this year it might be moved back to #2

I finally got out on the course today with a sleeve of the MTB-X in yellow. I played the front nine with the MTB-X and the back 5 with the MTB Red, with the final 4 holes using a '17 TP5X and a Bridgestone E6 Soft so that I could compare.

The MTB-X definitely feels more firm than the MTB Red. Now that I have tried them side by side, I can see why some people were not a fan of the Red. The Red felt softer to me on compression, especially with irons. I liked the MTB-X much, much more than the MTB Black I tried last year. I found the MTB-X to have much less spin off of the driver than the Red and the Black. With respect to chipping, I was able to get the MTB-X to spin, but i could not quite get it to spin as much as the TP5x for some reason.

Overall, I would say that the MTB-X plays similar to the Z-Star, and given the choice, I would pick the MTB-X from this year's options. I want to give the MTB-X another round, which I may do this afternoon to compare further with the TP5X. I tend to like a softer feeling ball, and the TP5X certainly feels softer. But performance wise, I think the MTB-X may be better off the tee, but perhaps less so on wedge shots. When taking price into consideration, the MTB-X is a heck of a deal especially when bought in bulk.

I haven't tried MTB-X yet, but do like the red and current Z-Star. I didn't find the red particularly soft and thought it was firmer than Z-Star. You are saying the new X is softer than red and similar to Z-Star?

I haven't tried MTB-X yet, but do like the red and current Z-Star. I didn't find the red particularly soft and thought it was firmer than Z-Star. You are saying the new X is softer than red and similar to Z-Star?

I personally think that the Red was softer, but I would compare the X to the Z-Star, and I would prefer the X over the Z-Star. So if you like the Z-Star, you will like the MTB-X.

I’m about to play another round with the MTB-X so I’ll update my experience.

I love the yellow, it’s great.

7bbfaa535c6f1b9f6c513be749a4ffb8.jpg

I personally think that the Red was softer, but I would compare the X to the Z-Star, and I would prefer the X over the Z-Star. So if you like the Z-Star, you will like the MTB-X.
Thanks. It seems like I need to try the new MTB-X then... just when I thought I had found my ball for the year and was contemplating selling off my other stock, lol.

How’s the durability of these balls? Do they get chewed up easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How’s the durability of these balls? Do they get chewed up easily?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. This is my ball through 12.

16d8482973f90ac5e7294303b698162d.jpg

Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

Good to know! Will definitely try these out.

It’s down between this and srixon z

I can send you a sleeve of each if you want to try them.

For the first time in my life, I finished 18 holes with the same ball. It was a yellow MTB-X. I am really starting to like this ball.

Yellow all sold out. I need to try this ball.

For the first time in my life, I finished 18 holes with the same ball. It was a yellow MTB-X. I am really starting to like this ball.

after reading the recent data that came out yesterday I want to try out the MTB-X (once my current stash runs low). Sounds like a great all around ball

and very impressive on 1 round with the same ball, Im happy if I keep the same ball for 1 hole

after reading the recent data that came out yesterday I want to try out the MTB-X (once my current stash runs low). Sounds like a great all around ball

and very impressive on 1 round with the same ball, Im happy if I keep the same ball for 1 hole

Its a great ball!! against the 3 other balls I had in my bag during a recent iron fitting I found the mtb-x to be middle of the road on iron spin, higher on wedge spin, and actually lowest spin on driver

for my game its the best possible ball I could play

Grabbed 2 dozen of these to try out.

I have been pretty set on battling out the BXS, 5X, and Z, but I'm hoping these are what I wanted the Snell Red to be.

I wonder if TXG or anyone has compared the Cut to the Snell? I want to try one out, just not sure which one.

I wonder if TXG or anyone has compared the Cut to the Snell? I want to try one out, just not sure which one.

they haven't directly compared it no.. but I highly suggest you check out their updated video on the Cut balls. the 2018 cut blue is completely different than the 2019 cut blue. Its literally a completely different ball and profile

I know were not supposed to mention other websites on here, but mygolfspy has a whole chart up they posted yesterday on over 30 balls they test on driver, 7 iron, and wedge spin

The two brands are not even in the same category. Snell has better performance and durability.

I ordered a box in the white following the MGS study. It sounds like the spin will be perfect for me/my swing. My only concern was the shot area in the study seemed pretty large given the shots were hit with a robot. The Vice Pro less than 10 yards shorter, but the dispersion area was significantly smaller. I only mention the Vice Pro because it's a similarly priced product and the Vice Pro Soft and Pro Plus didn't perform nearly as well.

I ordered a box in the white following the MGS study. It sounds like the spin will be perfect for me/my swing. My only concern was the shot area in the study seemed pretty large given the shots were hit with a robot. The Vice Pro less than 10 yards shorter, but the dispersion area was significantly smaller. I only mention the Vice Pro because it's a similarly priced product and the Vice Pro Soft and Pro Plus didn't perform nearly as well.

yeah based on the twitter comments today it sounds like the dispersion is what stopped the MTB-X from getting the "exceptional" rating.

The two brands are not even in the same category. Snell has better performance and durability.

After the pictures I just saw of Cut Blue and Gray after a couple of wedge shots, I can see they are not durable at all.

After the pictures I just saw of Cut Blue and Gray after a couple of wedge shots, I can see they are not durable at all.

Testers here saw the same thing. Originally, I wasn't sure if it was visual only though because the cover on them looked different in person than most other golf balls.

Testers here saw the same thing. Originally, I wasn't sure if it was visual only though because the cover on them looked different in person than most other golf balls.

They are pretty deep gashes after a like a dozen wedge shots. I know wedges will scuff a cover and remove paint, but those looked deep.

I cant really speak of the dispersion differences, but I played both the pro and pro plus last year. After 4 rounds with the MTB-X, the 3 balls are in a completely different level. MTB-X is far and away better than both, followed by the Pro, and I was very disappointed with the Pro Plus. The MGS study was pretty spot on with what I remember from playing the Vice balls

Dispersion area and std deviation data from the MGS study are giving me a little pause regarding the MTB-X. Seems like a great performing ball but raises some questions about the consistency of quality.

Curiosity got the best of me and I overpaid for a sleeve of the MTBx that's on the way. I just have so many darn balls now that I couldn't bring myself to commit to a dozen!

That's because I'd previously bought a dozen Tour B XS, 2 dozen RB Tour, 2 dozen TP5x and a dozen Chrome Soft. All in the last 5 weeks.

Back