Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

Curiosity got the best of me and I overpaid for a sleeve of the MTBx that's on the way. I just have so many darn balls now that I couldn't bring myself to commit to a dozen!

That's because I'd previously bought a dozen Tour B XS, 2 dozen RB Tour, 2 dozen TP5x and a dozen Chrome Soft. All in the last 5 weeks.

The first step is to admit you have a problem.

If the weather holds, I will be trying these out, along with the Blacks, tomorrow for the first time on a course. I have done some short chipping and putting with them, but nothing to be able to discern a difference.

Its a great ball!! against the 3 other balls I had in my bag during a recent iron fitting I found the mtb-x to be middle of the road on iron spin, higher on wedge spin, and actually lowest spin on driver

for my game its the best possible ball I could play

considering your WITB I understand why, based on the data presented yesterday you like the ball. Nice to see real world feedback instead of robot numbers.

considering your WITB I understand why, based on the data presented yesterday you like the ball. Nice to see real world feedback instead of robot numbers.

yea it was a big eye opener testing balls. I have some low spin heads in the bag and ive been much more comfortable playing the snell over the tp5x which for almost 2 years I thought was the best ball... I wish the Mizuno balls cover wasn't so crappy otherwise id play those also. Those spin like crazy but durability is the worst ive ever played

yea it was a big eye opener testing balls. I have some low spin heads in the bag and ive been much more comfortable playing the snell over the tp5x which for almost 2 years I thought was the best ball... I wish the Mizuno balls cover wasn't so crappy otherwise id play those also. Those spin like crazy but durability is the worst ive ever played

what's your swing speed if you dont mind me asking?

what's your swing speed if you dont mind me asking?

I was at 110 last year and after 3 months training with that SuperSpeed trainer im sitting 113 avg

Robot numbers not so friendly for your homer OEM haha. Agree or not, it was a great read and love seeing data.

Robot numbers not so friendly for your homer OEM haha. Agree or not, it was a great read and love seeing data.

Data is fun and so is testing. I don’t agree with robot testing the same way they do but for those that do, I’m glad they enjoy it. Snell MTB X looks like a great ball based on feed back in this thread.

I saw that testing. I’ve been playing the Z-star this year so far and have about 6 dozen TP5x’s to get through. This ball looks amazing however the dispersion is keeping me from rushing out to order some.

Data is fun and so is testing. I don’t agree with robot testing the same way they do but for those that do, I’m glad they enjoy it. Snell MTB X looks like a great ball based on feed back in this thread.

The authors of the study believe in humans for club testing and robots for ball testing. I’m with them that you have to use robots for balls.

I differ in that you should use robots for clubs too. Only, you use the robot at various speeds and impact various parts of the club face to get data that is likely to be more pertinent to the average golfer.

The authors of the study believe in humans for club testing and robots for ball testing. I’m with them that you have to use robots for balls.

I differ in that you should use robots for clubs too. Only, you use the robot at various speeds and impact various parts of the club face to get data that is likely to be more pertinent to the average golfer.

The problem with that is creating absolutes that the general public can’t meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with that is creating absolutes that the general public can’t meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But you have a reference range and you are comparing ball to ball (or club) regardless of who is using it. So it’s apples to apples.

But you have a reference range and you are comparing ball to ball (or club) regardless of who is using it. So it’s apples to apples.

Correct. So if you swing how they have the robot set up, at the speed they have designated, with the path and impact point they programmed in then you’re good to go.

Correct. So if you swing how they have the robot set up, at the speed they have designated, with the path and impact point they programmed in then you’re good to go.
Wouldnt the same problem apply with human testing? Except you then introduce the inconsistency we all have in our swing.

Was anyone else surprised that the yellow Z star performed differently in some areas as the white? My comments regarding the MTB-X in this thread were for the yellow ball. I wonder if the white will perform differently. The more I play the MTB-X, the more I like it and the more I am getting use to the spin characteristics around the green. While I would be hesitant to call it a Red 2.0 based on the feel and look, I would say that it performs better than the Red. FWIW, I have not liked the black, at all.

Was anyone else surprised that the yellow Z star performed differently in some areas as the white? My comments regarding the MTB-X in this thread were for the yellow ball. I wonder if the white will perform differently. The more I play the MTB-X, the more I like it and the more I am getting use to the spin characteristics around the green. While I would be hesitant to call it a Red 2.0 based on the feel and look, I would say that it performs better than the Red. FWIW, I have not liked the black, at all.
According to srixon there is no difference. MGS mentioned today they need to investigate further

According to srixon there is no difference. MGS mentioned today they need to investigate further

That was why I was shocked. From a manufacturer standpoint, the ball should be identical. But the MGS results were similar in some areas like ball speed and compression, but different on others like spin. If the ball is the same, then the only reason is testing method, right?

I've been trying to hold off jumping in here until I get a second round with the X tomorrow (to validate the first round results), but you guys are making it hard!!

Anyone remotely interested in the X should try it though. That's for sure.

Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

Read the ball testing on the other site and I think I’ve been cheating myself because I like the feel of a softer ball. Ordered a dozen of these to try. The lower driver spin and higher wedge spin may be just what I need if I can get used to the harder feel. If I like them I’ll get the 5 dozen deal and be set for a while.

If this rain keeps up I may have to search for a ball that plugs the shallowest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The concern that I have is with the driver "shot area" at 85 MPH. There are others are much better. Now I am second guessing myself.

A general musing here, but I'm flabbergasted at the poor dispersion some balls showed off of a swing robot. I have no idea what to make of it, but I will forever blame my golf ball for any and all misses.

So is everyone going to buy a dozen now that the MGS article came out??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That was why I was shocked. From a manufacturer standpoint, the ball should be identical. But the MGS results were similar in some areas like ball speed and compression, but different on others like spin. If the ball is the same, then the only reason is testing method, right?

I think you could still consider manufacturing tolerances.

I bet if you tested a few dozen of the same make/model/color against each other you could see differences from one box to the next. So I’m looking at the reference range with a grain of salt.

I’m also interested in testing the current Srixon Z-Star to see if I could hit more fairways. The dispersion data indicates I should, but whether it shows up in real life for my golf game is another question. I’d give up 10 yards if I hit a few more fairways.

So is everyone going to buy a dozen now that the MGS article came out??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If you didn’t get them ordered earlier today, you missed the boat. They are now on back order. I bet it takes a month before they are back in stock.

Wouldnt the same problem apply with human testing? Except you then introduce the inconsistency we all have in our swing.

Correct. And you could easily cover the average human swings by making adjustments to the robot (face to path, spin loft, etc.). Arguing otherwise is not bad on science, but rather “feels”.

Back